PDA

View Full Version : Know Anything about this Science.....

MMC
08-17-2012, 01:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XymkpMQHTrw

Heya RW know anything about this Science? :f_zen:

MMC
08-17-2012, 01:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kQIgkQoC9U

What about this one RW? Lot of people over there into it? In Taiwan? Or are they more into kickboxing. http://www.debatepolitics.com/images/smilies/boxer.gif

MMC
08-21-2012, 05:49 AM
Heya RW.....watcha thinks? What about you URF8.....seems you are into that History of the East. Any of you guys dabble into this science?

RollingWave
08-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Taiwan has a good number of traditional martial arts practitioner, but it hasn't been big as in the early 20th century it was seen more or less as a relic of the past and not something we need to catch up to the world so to speak, it was especially disastorous in China where most traditions were actively hunted down during all that Cultural revolution shite.

truth be told there are alot of stuff that's basically lost, most Chinese martial arts now exist in forms but very very few people actually know what those forms were suppose to do and prehaps even more importantly the method of practice was almost entirely lost for alot of them, the method of practice really means the hard stuff of martial arts, aka the body building / hardening part. those were lost because well... if the teachers actually taught them most of his students would have ran away. think of it as professional boxing training... except without the hope of earning big bucks .. not hard to see why that would turn people off.

So instead most of the training that remained were the fancy forms but it doesn't take a scientist to see that a normal person who knows some moves isn't gonna stand a chance againts anyone who has a seriously trained body (and those guys are likely to know even more moves than you anyway.)

Though with a renewed sense of pride in China these days, there is a gradual revival of martial arts interest, but there is a lot of other problems of course. the wide division of styles makes competition very difficult. (not the meantion that most system don't have any sort of competition rules to begin with.) but the traditional nature of these arts also means that they are unlikely to be able to make dramatic changes and adaptation like MMA. (though MMA in itself can be somewhat misleading in a sense, since it has turned into something that is ultimately designed for the game it is competiting in, but of course has opened many people's eyes in many regard )

Mister D
08-21-2012, 02:28 PM
I used to think martial arts were cool when I was younger. Now I'm far more interested in your fabulous oolongs. Particularly Taiwanese oolongs.

URF8
08-21-2012, 02:39 PM
My father in law mastered many of the forms of kung fu. My wife got our boys into kung fu...almost in memory of her beloved father. Our older boy became quite good, then moved into muay thai. The younger boy is a surfer and doesn't care.

It's my understanding that most martial arts forms were developed by peasants who didn't have access to weapons. I think martial arts are a bigger deal in America than in China. Just my opinion.

Captain Obvious
08-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Now I'm far more interested in your fabulous oolongs.

I once got kicked in the nuts in high school for saying that to someone.

RollingWave
08-21-2012, 08:57 PM
My father in law mastered many of the forms of kung fu. My wife got our boys into kung fu...almost in memory of her beloved father. Our older boy became quite good, then moved into muay thai. The younger boy is a surfer and doesn't care.

It's my understanding that most martial arts forms were developed by peasants who didn't have access to weapons. I think martial arts are a bigger deal in America than in China. Just my opinion.

Well that is mostly only in Japan to some extend. in China the primary development of the traditional martial arts came relatively late, it seems most of the current known style only came into existence around the 16th-19th century.

The developers were primarly those who worked as civlian guards, usually hired to guard convoys against bandits. think of them as the blackwater of 300 years ago. they were armed to some extend (but usually just swords and spears and maybe at best crossbows) and obviously your not going to send an army to guard a convoy, so usually they were going to be deployed in only a few men, like 2 to at best 20. so in such cases individual fighting skills became rather important.

Chinese styles actually developed mostly in conjunction with weapon styles due to this fact, so many well known styles would have paired with some type of weapon style in general (again usually swords or spear or large Sabers). for example one of the better known late 19th C early 20th C martial artist Li Shu Wen, famous for his Ba Ji style , was nicked named "the god spear" as his skill with the spear was even more famous than his unarmed skill

(Li's most famous disciple was sort of like China's James Bond, as he held an official military rank but was mostly operating alone as an operative. and later on became the chief Presidential bodyguards instructor of Chang Kai Sheik's dictatorship in Taiwan)

Yes, Martial arts is generally bigger in the US, because in the US almost everyone do some sort of sports, not so in China. where the mentality seem to have devolved nowadays into that you should only do a sport if you have a good chance to be ultra good at it. it's going to take some time to reverse that sort of trend.

Still, there are some positive developments, check out this show aired in China a couple years back that featured competitive Taichi so to speak, the rules were basically to either

1. knock the opponent out of the ring
2. knock him down on the floor

I think the not allowed are

1. head punch
2. floor moves

(so in essense there's a lot of similairty to Judo competition without the ground moves but allowing kicks and punches)

But anyway, this finals clip pitted a very famous traditional artist roughly in his late 30s early 40s against a younger guy, the skill difference shown is quite dramatic and it does show up a lot of the practicality of the art, unlike just watching the forms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaC1gyrygms&feature=related

and here's a style you probably don't see outside of China/Taiwan much, the Bao Ding wrestling style.

(this was flimedi n 1970 of the then 63 year old practitionor, the moves he show is very interesting as some are those you don't really see in Judo or Western Wrestling)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI1hJoqnt30

roadmaster
08-21-2012, 09:30 PM
I put one of my sons in it and tried to get my daughter. Now both of them wished they had stuck it out. I think it is important to know how to defend oneself or at least be able to get away for both genders.