PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

Mister D
09-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I always start a thread like this wherever I go. Right now I'm reading Hans Kung's Is There a God: An Answer for Today. It's over 800 pages and that works out very well because it will take me a while to read which will save me $$$. I'm not even half way done and it's been a month.

Conley
09-06-2011, 06:57 PM
http://deskofbrian.com/wp-content/uploads/Dick-Cheney-in-my-time-cover-198x300.jpg

This is next up for me if I can borrow a copy...not going to buy it because I only do that with books I plan to save or re-read.

Mister D
09-06-2011, 07:14 PM
http://deskofbrian.com/wp-content/uploads/Dick-Cheney-in-my-time-cover-198x300.jpg

This is next up for me if I can borrow a copy...not going to buy it because I only do that with books I plan to save or re-read.

I rarely get rid of books. I just don't like parting with them. I have been rereading sections of theological works and other works that need reinforcement. I don;t have a background in sociology or philosophy so some of the concepts don't come to me immediately.

The price should drop precipitously in a month or two. If you are really interested in it go for it.

wingrider
09-06-2011, 11:34 PM
right now I am reading this thread.

but I plan to reread. the Mega Millenium series by Paul Meier, and Robert Wise later tonight after this place shuts down ..

it is 3 books in one, and approx 1000 pages..

based on end times prophecy with a messianic jew theme.

Mister D
11-20-2011, 06:42 PM
I just started a theological tome on the Old Testament. I've been meaning to do this for a while.

spunkloaf
11-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk

Mister D
11-20-2011, 08:39 PM

Fiction?

spunkloaf
11-20-2011, 09:41 PM

Fiction?

Of course. ;D

Mister D
11-20-2011, 09:49 PM

Fiction?

Of course. ;D

You can't really tell from a title. ;) I've been reading exegetical and theological works lately. For about a year now, I guess. I throw in a history book here and there but that used to be my mainstay. I just got the new history of the SS Dirlewanger Brigade. :o :o BUt it will have to wait until I'm done with my OT tome.

spunkloaf
11-20-2011, 10:32 PM

Fiction?

Of course. ;D

You can't really tell from a title. ;) I've been reading exegetical and theological works lately. For about a year now, I guess. I throw in a history book here and there but that used to be my mainstay. I just got the new history of the SS Dirlewanger Brigade. :o :o BUt it will have to wait until I'm done with my OT tome.

I'd like to read more reference and biographical pieces of literature. However Palahniuk is a genius. Ever seen Fight Club? He wrote that. I just finished another book of his, Rant. It left me scratching my head and it was wonderful.

Conley
11-20-2011, 10:34 PM
I was going to mention Fight Club but I'm not sure if the book is worth it since I remember the plot of the movie pretty well.

spunkloaf
11-20-2011, 10:52 PM
I was going to mention Fight Club but I'm not sure if the book is worth it since I remember the plot of the movie pretty well.

I can't comment, I haven't read the book yet. But the movie follows his style pretty well.

Conley
11-20-2011, 10:55 PM
I thought it was a good flick, I think if the book is similar I would have liked reading it beforehand.

spunkloaf
11-20-2011, 11:02 PM
I thought it was a good flick, I think if the book is similar I would have liked reading it beforehand.

Read Rant. It's a great book.

Conley
11-20-2011, 11:07 PM

Read Rant. It's a great book.

I read the Rant every day

O0

spunkloaf
11-20-2011, 11:10 PM
::) :D

MMC
11-21-2011, 02:23 AM
Last Book I read was Robert Greene's 48 Laws of Power.....since then I have not picked up a book. Which was early last year. Otherwise I read the Newspaper and not even all of it.

Conley
01-07-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm going to start Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. I've never read any sci-fi I don't think, but it was recommended by a friend who's convinced I would like it. I enjoy sci-fi movies but for some reason never got into reading it.

Mister D
01-07-2012, 01:11 PM
I guess I'm reading Spunkloafs signature. It takes up half the fucking page. :rollseyes:

Archer0915
05-26-2015, 10:35 PM
Reading to the boys. Tonight and over the next few weeks I will be reading The Art of War (Sun Tzu) to them and explaining some of the deeper meanings and how they can apply to life in general. Tonight we read a little and discussed a little.

Redrose
05-26-2015, 10:42 PM
I like to read the Old Testament. I try to read it with a critical eye, trying to sift through the religious meaning and understand the meaning better.

"War and Peace" was the best read for me. Took me a while, but it was worth it. I actually read it twice to understand it fully.