PDA

View Full Version : Snowden Responds to Hillary Clinton

Ethereal
10-17-2015, 03:12 PM
Snowden Says Hillary Clinton’s Bogus Statements Show a “Lack of Political Courage” (https://theintercept.com/2015/10/16/snowden-says-hillary-clintons-bogus-statements-show-a-lack-of-political-courage/)

Jenna McLaughlin
Oct. 16 2015, 5:28 p.m.

(The Intercept) - Hillary Clinton twice this week has insisted, contrary to the facts, that former NSA contractor Edward Snowden could have accomplished his goals and avoided punishment if he’d raised his concerns through the proper channels.

Clinton first made that assertion at Tuesday night’s Democratic presidential debate, and again at a town hall meeting in New Hampshire on Friday.

“I firmly believe that he could have gone public and released the information about the collection of information on Americans under whistleblower protections, and he could have done it within the tradition in our country that shields people that come forth acting out of conscience to present information that they believe the public should have,” she said on Friday.

Snowden was asked about Clinton’s comments in an appearance, by videolink from Moscow, at a Bard College privacy symposium Friday afternoon.

Snowden said her statement was “false” and he decried “a lack of political courage.”

“Truth should matter in politics, and courage should matter in politics,” he said.

During Tuesday’s debate, Clinton said Snowden “could have been a whistleblower. He could have gotten all of the protections of being a whistleblower. He could have raised all the issues that he has raised. And I think there would have been a positive response to that.” (She also innacurately claimed that the Snowden files had “fallen into a lot of the wrong hands.”)

But media outlets and advocates quickly noted that Snowden was not in fact entitled to whistleblower protections, which do not apply to contractors.

Snowden has also maintained that he did try going through established channels, to no avail. And the official response to his leaks strongly suggests that no one in his chain of command was interested in letting his concerns reach the public.

“Hilary Clinton is wrong and misinformed,” said Anna Myers, the executive director of the Government Accountability Project, in an e-mail to the Intercept. “No NSA whistleblower had been listened to in 13 years of trying. It is disingenuous for any informed current, or past, public official dealing with such matters to assert that whistleblowers in national security had a way to safely report their concerns about illegal and overreaching surveillance through official channels.”

Politifact rated Clinton’s claim as “mostly false”.

CONTINUED

Unsurprisingly, Hillary Clinton is still parroting the false narrative that Snowden could have gone through the "proper channels" instead of leaking the information to journalists like Glenn Greenwald.

I would advise people not to accept claims made about Snowden by the government or the media at face value, as they usually turn out to be false or misleading.

Peter1469
10-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Clinton is a political creature. Facts are meaningless to her.

Green Arrow
10-17-2015, 05:36 PM
He needs a monument on the national mall. Maybe a statue of him pointing directly at Capitol Hill.

donttread
10-17-2015, 07:47 PM
Unsurprisingly, Hillary Clinton is still parroting the false narrative that Snowden could have gone through the "proper channels" instead of leaking the information to journalists like Glenn Greenwald.

I would advise people not to accept claims made about Snowden by the government or the media at face value, as they usually turn out to be false or misleading.

If he'd gone through the" proper channels" he would of disappeared and we would of never known about the spying

Common
10-17-2015, 07:59 PM
He needs a monument on the national mall. Maybe a statue of him pointing directly at Capitol Hill.

He needs a very very long prison term, what he did was treasonous and intentional and pre planned screw him

donttread
10-17-2015, 08:08 PM
He needs a very very long prison term, what he did was treasonous and intentional and pre planned screw him

How is it treasonous to tell the America people that their government is spying on them. The only way that could be treason is if the government considers the people the enemy

Common
10-17-2015, 08:10 PM
How is it treasonous to tell the America people that their government os spying on them. The only way that could be treason is if the government considers the people the enemy

He took a job soley to spy he got hired and thats what he did, that is treason and the govts been spying on us FOREVER you dont need a snowden to be a spy to know that.

Read up on J Edgar Hoover

donttread
10-17-2015, 08:35 PM
He took a job soley to spy he got hired and thats what he did, that is treason and the govts been spying on us FOREVER you dont need a snowden to be a spy to know that.

Read up on J Edgar Hoover

So it's treason for him to spy but hot for the government to spy???

Green Arrow
10-17-2015, 08:35 PM

All of that is incorrect. It is never treasonous to tell the American people what our government is doing behind our backs.

Tahuyaman
10-17-2015, 09:09 PM
Clinton is a political creature. Facts are meaningless to her.

She's not alone in that area. Look at the people here who support her.

Tahuyaman
10-17-2015, 09:13 PM
How is it treasonous to tell the America people that their government is spying on them. The only way that could be treason is if the government considers the people the enemy

I believe the US government does consider the people the enemy.

donttread
10-18-2015, 07:10 AM

I agree. So perhaps he is a traitor to the government but a hero to the people.

donttread
10-18-2015, 07:12 AM

If they consider us the enemy what should we consider them?

Adelaide
10-18-2015, 09:56 AM
She's sticking to the party line (of the government, not the actual political party). The current government under the current administration is extremely questionable in terms of how it's functioning. The amount of scandals are astounding with the various agencies misbehaving and acting illegally, or the selective behaviour of law enforcement. Far too many examples to cite. It's as political as the bazillion Benghazi panels... which makes things like the Banghazi panels kind of ironic when Democrats bitch about it.

Snowdon had no reason to think the normal channels would listen to him or take him seriously, and for good reason.

Tahuyaman
10-18-2015, 03:02 PM
If they consider us the enemy what should we consider them?

we should always consider government the enemy of individual liberty and freedom. It's stupid to think that government has concern for our best interests.

Ransom
10-18-2015, 03:04 PM

Cause, before Snowden, you had no idea the government was 'spying' on you? Many people here donttread, are the enemy. We have posted several examples, you do realize hackers, terrorists, and cyber criminals exist and are active? Yes? This not on Oprah either.

Ransom
10-18-2015, 03:07 PM
She's sticking to the party line (of the government, not the actual political party). The current government under the current administration is extremely questionable in terms of how it's functioning. The amount of scandals are astounding with the various agencies misbehaving and acting illegally, or the selective behaviour of law enforcement. Far too many examples to cite. It's as political as the bazillion Benghazi panels... which makes things like the Banghazi panels kind of ironic when Democrats $#@! about it.

Snowdon had no reason to think the normal channels would listen to him or take him seriously, and for good reason.

But then..... he's got that defense then. Hey, I took this to my superiors, I explained I had a moral dilemma with my tasks.

He saved information, he took as much data as he could, exposed it to everyone including our enemies. Those in defense of him here expose themselves, these members hate the United States of America, it's really no more complicated than that.

Carlsen
10-18-2015, 03:52 PM

he must b e careful. all zombies are very dangereous

https://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/hilary.jpg?quality=100&strip=info&w=500

Carlsen
10-18-2015, 03:53 PM

the governement is suppose to be the people in democratic society

Tahuyaman
10-18-2015, 05:35 PM
the governement is suppose to be the people in democratic society

what they are supposed to be and what they currently are, are two different things.

donttread
10-18-2015, 06:39 PM
Cause, before Snowden, you had no idea the government was 'spying' on you? Many people here donttread, are the enemy. We have posted several examples, you do realize hackers, terrorists, and cyber criminals exist and are active? Yes? This not on Oprah either.

That's what warrants are for

Ethereal
10-18-2015, 07:28 PM
That's what warrants are for

Neo-cons are lawless tyrants, so mentioning a warrant to them is like asking a stripper for a benediction. It will only confuse and possibly anger them.

Ransom
10-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Snowden didn't reveal anything you didn't already know. Your hero worship is therefore telling.

HoneyBadger
10-18-2015, 09:55 PM

Just out of curiosity, are you more angry at Snowden than the government that violated the rights of the people it serves?

Tahuyaman
10-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Neo-cons are lawless tyrants, so mentioning a warrant to them is like asking a stripper for a benediction. It will only confuse and possibly anger them.

name these neo cons you are talking about.

Ransom
10-19-2015, 06:35 AM
Just out of curiosity, are you more angry at Snowden than the government that violated the rights of the people it serves?

Just out of curiosity, who did you vote for in the 2008 and 2012 President elections?

Peter1469
10-19-2015, 07:08 AM
Snowden didn't reveal anything you didn't already know. Your hero worship is therefore telling.

That is what our mothers and grandmothers would call a lie.

Ransom
10-19-2015, 08:58 AM
That is what our mothers and grandmothers would call a lie.

You're trying to recover Pete. Rebuild your integrity. I'd suggest you start with someone else, work your way up to me.

texan
10-19-2015, 09:30 AM

I cannot be sure what he did was right but I don't really know what options were available. But one thing I know for sure is, NO way I would trust these people as a whistle blower. This administration blamed a video for Benghazi and actually arrested the producer! What, uh yes trust them. BTW not just this admin, Washington in general. But the arrest was shameful.

Peter1469
10-19-2015, 09:36 AM
You're trying to recover Pete. Rebuild your integrity. I'd suggest you start with someone else, work your way up to me.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

donttread
10-19-2015, 11:48 AM

Yes, he babbled at you, therefore he "schooled you" in his mind

Ransom
10-19-2015, 12:39 PM
Yes, he babbled at you, therefore he "schooled you" in his mind

Your last word noted, we're trying to move on. Regarding the topic matter, might you explain what Snowden revealed that was so enlightening enough to warrant him such worship. What specific information revealed weren't you aware of?

Adelaide
10-19-2015, 12:47 PM
But then..... he's got that defense then. Hey, I took this to my superiors, I explained I had a moral dilemma with my tasks.

He saved information, he took as much data as he could, exposed it to everyone including our enemies. Those in defense of him here expose themselves, these members hate the United States of America, it's really no more complicated than that.

Nobody trusts the government. It's not right what he did, but the point is that Clinton is saying he could have used proper channels to get justice or whatever when the reality is that is a complete fucking lie.

donttread
10-19-2015, 12:48 PM
Your last word noted, we're trying to move on. Regarding the topic matter, might you explain what Snowden revealed that was so enlightening enough to warrant him such worship. What specific information revealed weren't you aware of?

The full scope of the treachery my own government was committing against it's own people. And for future reference YOU should NEVER lecture ANYONE about moving on

Ransom
10-19-2015, 12:58 PM
Nobody trusts the government. It's not right what he did, but the point is that Clinton is saying he could have used proper channels to get justice or whatever when the reality is that is a complete $#@!ing lie.

Maybe no one trusts your government, Adelaide. We've entire constituencies in this country who want the government to take over their health care. I'm not lying. With a VA Hospital system for an example, many here trust and very much want the government to take over the care of their very health. Many other examples I could list, many in the US want the government playing a larger, not smaller role in their lives. Many look to government to solve problems, many trust our third branch of government...the judiciary, to be the final word on so many issues even ones cultural such as marriage. Many want to send more money to Washington, there is an entire horde of members here who believe taxes should be raised, that the government knows and can be trusted more than the private citizen what to do with the money.

Ransom
10-19-2015, 01:00 PM
The full scope of the treachery my own government was committing against it's own people. And for future reference YOU should NEVER lecture ANYONE about moving on

Explain just a few tidbits within this 'full scope of treachery' if you don't mind.

donttread
10-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Explain just a few tidbits within this 'full scope of treachery' if you don't mind.

Warrantless spying on the American people

Tahuyaman
10-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Hillary thinks by going after Snowden she looks like a patriot.

Tahuyaman
10-19-2015, 10:40 PM
Warrantless spying on the American people

I have to agree with this. Our government has dramatically overstepped its authority. Dropping a dime on government isn't necessarily a crime.

Ethereal
10-19-2015, 11:36 PM
Exposing the criminality of the government can never be a crime.

Peter1469
10-20-2015, 05:17 AM
Exposing the criminality of the government can never be a crime.
Except to the government. :wink:

Mac-7
10-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Except to the government. :wink:

Our government is a collection of clowns and losers.

And I'm referring to appointed officials like john brennen and Jeh johnson who are posting classified info on their private email accounts.

Buffoons are running this country.

Tahuyaman
10-20-2015, 09:10 AM
My default position is to distrust government, no mater who's in charge.

In my mind, government is always presumed guilty until proven innocent.

donttread
10-20-2015, 12:10 PM
Our government is a collection of clowns and losers.

And I'm referring to appointed officials like john brennen and Jeh johnson who are posting classified info on their private email accounts.

Buffoons are running this country.

If we passed a Constitutional amendment tomorrow to elect congress, the white house and the cabinet via lottery we would be far better off