PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Hillary Clinton's testimony before the Benghazi committee today

Green Arrow
10-22-2015, 08:48 PM
I watched about an hour and a half of Hillary Clinton's testimony before the Benghazi committee this evening before I switched channels to the Seahawks-Niners game. It took me a bit to decide whether or not I wanted to say anything about it, but I decided I would.

First, let me say that I am about as critical of Hillary as you can get, while still focusing on actual issues to criticize her for. You won't see me running around spending pages riffing on her several hundred dollar haircut or the clothes that she wears because frankly, I think there are plenty of real issues to criticize her on.

That said, what I saw of this committee hearing was strange. It's supposed to be the committee on the terror attack in Benghazi. The purpose, stated by Rep. Trey Gowdy, is supposed to be to determine what happened and how to keep it from happening in the future. What I saw in an hour and a half of that committee had almost nothing to do with the attack itself and learning more about it and how to keep it from happening again. It was all pointed and, frankly, badgering questions about Hillary Clinton herself and her practices.

Now, looking at the questions themselves outside of any context, I think many of the ones I heard were very valid questions that I would like to hear serious answers to. However, when you add in the context of this being a hearing about Benghazi, I don't understand why they were being asked in this setting. Most of the questions I heard were about Clinton's private email server, which has nothing to do with Benghazi. Or at least, if those questions did have something to do with Benghazi, they never got around to the Benghazi part of them.

Again, I'd like to hear answers to those questions, but not in a hearing about Benghazi. It's off-topic and inappropriate.

I also thought that Rep. Roby's line of questioning on Clinton was, frankly, highly inappropriate and unprofessional. I don't care if you believe that Hillary Clinton sincerely doesn't give a shit about her staff and other employees of the State Department, it is not appropriate to hijack a committee hearing that is supposed to be about improving our national security and the security of Americans overseas to air that theory.

I thought Rep. Pompeo had a very on-topic and great line of questioning, even if he did drift off into a tangential line about the email server.

All-in-all, I heard very little about the Benghazi attack, and a lot about the Benghazi attack that was really more personal nonsense about Hillary Clinton than it was substantive queries about the attack. At this point, the committee might as well just rename itself the Select Committee on Hillary Clinton if they can't stick to the one topic about the Benghazi attacks.

I mean, honestly. I WANT to hear more about the Benghazi attacks, and I want to hear about them from Hillary. But this was just largely unnecessary.

Beevee
10-22-2015, 09:09 PM
The $20m wasted on this farce could have been spent on Vets who are presently waiting for medical and psychiatric treatment but not getting it.

The GOP will pay the price when the silent majority have their say.

Matty
10-22-2015, 09:14 PM
This has been the narrative all day. The Democrats and their followers in unison believe it is a witch hunt. The Republicans say otherwise. I know what I heard. Hillary told her family and the PM of Egypt that she knew it was an attack by an Al Qeada affiliate and not the video. She sent Susan Rice out to tell Americans it was a video. In the days that followed including at the funeral she and President repeated that lie.

Green Arrow
10-22-2015, 09:50 PM
This has been the narrative all day. The Democrats and their followers in unison believe it is a witch hunt. The Republicans say otherwise. I know what I heard. Hillary told her family and the PM of Egypt that she knew it was an attack by an Al Qeada affiliate and not the video. She sent Susan Rice out to tell Americans it was a video. In the days that followed including at the funeral she and President repeated that lie.

I'm confused. You said "this" has been the narrative all day, and nothing in the rest of your post suggests you are talking about anything other than what I've said here. Yet, you follow that up explaining the narrative as the Benghazi committee is a witch hunt.

I'm confused because I never said that, and in fact said the opposite, that the stated purpose​ of the committee is important and something we should absolutely pursue.

Cletus
10-22-2015, 10:42 PM
I don't see how anyone can possibly view this as a "witch hunt".

It happened on her watch. It is important to find out what decisions she made or didn't make that contributed to the sacking of our mission and the deaths of four Americans. No matter how you try to spin it, ultimately, the responsibility for what happened is hers.

The American People have a right to know.

Green Arrow
10-22-2015, 10:51 PM
I don't see how anyone can possibly view this as a "witch hunt".

It happened on her watch. It is important to find out what decisions she made or didn't make that contributed to the sacking of our mission and the deaths of four Americans. No matter how you try to spin it, ultimately, the responsibility for what happened is hers.

The American People have a right to know.

I agree with you, but only a small minority of the questions I heard would actually meet that goal.

Matty
10-23-2015, 03:01 AM
I watched the entire thing. It ran along partisan lines as I described above. My conclusion is that 600 emails crossed her desk begging for increased security, she said it was not her job. They went unanswered. The day after the attacks she tells her family and the PM of Egypt that she knew these were terrorists and not the video yet three days later she sent Rice out to talk about the videos. Clinton and Obama repeated those lies. This was all done as a cover up to get Obama re elected.

zelmo1234
10-23-2015, 03:27 AM
I think that the private server is the issue and relevant as it was the system Hillary was using to try and prevent any oversight on here actions.

The Server, emails and Benghazi are all tied in to the web of lies that Hillary is weaving

Matty
10-23-2015, 08:02 AM
I think that the private server is the issue and relevant as it was the system Hillary was using to try and prevent any oversight on here actions.

The Server, emails and Benghazi are all tied in to the web of lies that Hillary is weaving

The Democrats do not care. If you read other threads and posts they feel a great victory has been won. Four Americans are dead because of her failures to act but they and the Democrats at that hearing would rather attack Republicans. The whole cover up was a way to get Obama re elected, it worked.

Common
10-23-2015, 08:10 AM
Gowdy and company have not only lost on anything benghazi yesterday most of america will give anything they say about hillary from this point on a ho hum.

Yesterday was the supposed to be the culmination of a full 3 yrs of investigation by two lead investigators ISSA and GOWDY. In the entire 3 hours not a single shred of new evidence or new facts were presented. It was obvious they have NOTHING after 3 full years. What they did yesterday was prove to america that everyone that says its been a witch hunt to hurt her campaign are right.

Im not big hillary fan but whats right is right.

zelmo1234
10-23-2015, 08:15 AM
The one thing that I thought was interesting was the questioning about her phone records and he conversations with the troops in Tripoli

According to the Commanders on the ground in Tripoli, they were told to stand down and the caused anger among the troops. Hillary is the only one that talked to them, and she described them as distraught

Seems likely that she is the one that made the call. What every was going on in Benghazi that knight, it is clear that the administration was willing to sacrifice the lives of the people on the ground to keep it seceret.

Green Arrow
10-23-2015, 09:06 AM
The one thing that I thought was interesting was the questioning about her phone records and he conversations with the troops in Tripoli

According to the Commanders on the ground in Tripoli, they were told to stand down and the caused anger among the troops. Hillary is the only one that talked to them, and she described them as distraught

Seems likely that she is the one that made the call. What every was going on in Benghazi that knight, it is clear that the administration was willing to sacrifice the lives of the people on the ground to keep it seceret.

I doubt it. From my understanding she didn't have that power, that was entirely under the purview of DoD.

Matty
10-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Gowdy and company have not only lost on anything benghazi yesterday most of america will give anything they say about hillary from this point on a ho hum.

Yesterday was the supposed to be the culmination of a full 3 yrs of investigation by two lead investigators ISSA and GOWDY. In the entire 3 hours not a single shred of new evidence or new facts were presented. It was obvious they have NOTHING after 3 full years. What they did yesterday was prove to america that everyone that says its been a witch hunt to hurt her campaign are right.

Im not big hillary fan but whats right is right.

Did you watch the hearing? I did. She clearly told her family and the PM of Egypt that she knew the attack was a terrorist attack and not because of the film. She and Obama imprisoned the man who made that film. Hillary promised a family member they would do so. They told the public it was because of a parole violation. They kept repeating the video lie for days even at the funeral. What kind of people do stuff like that? The Democrats made political hay on the backs of those four dead Americans and continue to this day. And, they are happy to put her in the WH.