PDA

View Full Version : We had 5 visitors tonight

Redrose
10-22-2015, 11:02 PM
Our motion lights kept going on and off so we investigated. There was a huge mama black bear with four (4) big cubs, yearlings. They destroyed all my berry bushes.

The construction across the street has a dumpster and the workers put their lunch trash in it. That attracts the bears who are very hungry right now.

valley ranch
10-22-2015, 11:32 PM
Hi Rose, Your still had berries on the vines? Well, Next year!

The word is out:Bear are no longer welcome here, around the house or below the last out building and certainly not around the corrals. I use to like to see them but they smash thing.

Redrose
10-22-2015, 11:36 PM
The berries were just about finished. We had some cold nights last week, low 30's. The bears broke branches off. I think they were here for the lunch scraps in the dumpster which is only about 50' from my side yard. I tried to get photos but it was too dark, I got a good photo of her eyes glowing in the night. lol

The cubs were easily 90-100 lbs. She had to be 325+.

Dr. Who
10-22-2015, 11:48 PM
The berries were just about finished. We had some cold nights last week, low 30's. The bears broke branches off. I think they were here for the lunch scraps in the dumpster which is only about 50' from my side yard. I tried to get photos but it was too dark, I got a good photo of her eyes glowing in the night. lol

The cubs were easily 90-100 lbs. She had to be 325+.
They are trying to fatten up for winter and that long hibernation. I have always thought that perhaps in areas where wildlife such as bears, wolves and raccoons cause so many problems from a safety or sanitary point of view, perhaps it would make more sense to create a single feeding zone well away from human habitation that takes all of the organics that people throw away places it in piles in a specific area for the wildlife. If they go there, they won't be visiting your yard. Furthermore, all of those organics won't end up at the dump but in the bellies of hungry animals.

One year we had a garbage strike that went on forever. I decided that keeping organics indefinitely in a garbage can was unsanitary, smelly and disgusting, so instead I put out a large bowl every night filled with every organic that would otherwise have been thrown out. The raccoons happily obliged by eating it all and I didn't have a fly infested stinking garbage can to deal with.

Ethereal
10-22-2015, 11:53 PM
They are trying to fatten up for winter and that long hibernation. I have always thought that perhaps in areas where wildlife such as bears, wolves and raccoons cause so many problems from a safety or sanitary point of view, perhaps it would make more sense to create a single feeding zone well away from human habitation that takes all of the organics that people throw away places it in piles in a specific area for the wildlife. If they go there, they won't be visiting your yard. Furthermore, all of those organics won't end up at the dump but in the bellies of hungry animals.

One year we had a garbage strike that went on forever. I decided that keeping organics indefinitely in a garbage can was unsanitary, smelly and disgusting, so instead I put out a large bowl every night filled with every organic that would otherwise have been thrown out. The raccoons happily obliged by eating it all and I didn't have a fly infested stinking garbage can to deal with.

I usually try to take uneaten food and dispose of it in the woods so that the ecosystem can absorb it, whether it's animals, insects, or microorganisms, I think it helps to promote biodiversity.

Redrose
10-22-2015, 11:56 PM
We back up to the edge of the National Forest. We're on THEIR land. We're far enough away they claim that we don't require bear garbage cans with locks.

They are extremely active right now, looking for food for the winter as you said. The summer food is gone and acorns are in November. Dollywood has had bears on the park (after closing) every night for a week. They had to call in animal control to catch them and relocate them further int the forest.

Acorns will be down in a couple of weeks and then they will be happy again.

They are magnificant creatures, such fun to see and watch. The babies were just jumping and rolling around and mom just stood back and watch carefully. We were about 20' from them in our porch.

Dr. Who
10-23-2015, 12:23 AM
We back up to the edge of the National Forest. We're on THEIR land. We're far enough away they claim that we don't require bear garbage cans with locks.

They are extremely active right now, looking for food for the winter as you said. The summer food is gone and acorns are in November. Dollywood has had bears on the park (after closing) every night for a week. They had to call in animal control to catch them and relocate them further int the forest.

Acorns will be down in a couple of weeks and then they will be happy again.

They are magnificant creatures, such fun to see and watch. The babies were just jumping and rolling around and mom just stood back and watch carefully. We were about 20' from them in our porch.
I think if everyone in the area would donate their organic waste to their animal neighbors, rather than sending them to the dump, both animals and humans would be better off. We waste so much and they struggle to survive on very little in winter.

Redrose
10-23-2015, 01:05 AM
The sad part is they eat things that are harmful. We watched a bear two years ago with a big bag of garbage it found. He was having a blast with it. There were plastic cups from smoothies, and donut bags, he was eating the paper and plastic because it was covered in sugar and jelly. That makes them sick.
The bear population here is growing and they are very visble in the evening afer 9p until around dawn.

Matty
10-23-2015, 04:45 AM
Someone in Montana posted a picture of a cub in the kitchen eating. He and mama bear were attracted to apples and ripped off the screen and came in. I will see if I can find that picture.

Matty
10-23-2015, 04:48 AM
Someone in Montana posted a picture of a cub in the kitchen eating. He and mama bear were attracted to apples and ripped off the screen and came in. I will see if I can find that picture.

from facebook

Common
10-23-2015, 07:27 AM
People with kids must worry like hell there.

valley ranch
10-23-2015, 11:33 AM
people think bear are cute, they are interesting, but they can be dangerous. The do kill animals and people. The break into houses here. We've only had to get rid of two in all the years I've been here. All in the last 10years as the bear population has exploded.

We don't through food stuff away, we have animals.

I used to feed the raccoons but now we discourage them from coming around because we have chickens. Our fences are hot wired to prevent them from entering, it keeps the bear out also.

We're adjacent to government land here also.

People who know bear do keep an eye out. They weren't always this much of a problem, they are now because of their numbers, plus bear that cause problems in one area are trapped and relocated in another area where of course they cause the same problems there.

Common
10-23-2015, 08:19 PM
Two bears fighting right in a residential area of NJ how would you like to have kids that cant leave the house because you have to be afraid a bear might be around .

Sorry these arent harmless critters, this fight goes on a long time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBhR5ToR7a8

Matty
10-23-2015, 08:29 PM
Two bears fighting right in a residential area of NJ how would you like to have kids that cant leave the house because you have to be afraid a bear might be around .

Sorry these arent harmless critters, this fight goes on a long time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBhR5ToR7a8

Look at all that bear hair on the roadway. I see bald patches on the smaller one.