PDA

View Full Version : Ooops; another inconvenient truth!

Cigar
08-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Mitt Romney's presidential campaign released an attack Thursday criticizing President Barack Obama for military budget cuts that Romney's running mate Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) voted for and helped write. The attack was launched in a press release that coincided with Ryan speaking at a roundtable discussion on defense in Fayetteville, N.C.

"President Obama’s devastating defense cuts are set to have a massive impact on Fayetteville and the rest of North Carolina," said Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul in the statement. "Because of the President’s lack of leadership, North Carolina could be hit hard with thousands of job losses and millions of dollars in lost economic activity. Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will restore our military’s strength and ensure our armed forces have the resources they need."

But what the statement leaves out is Ryan's leading role in crafting those cuts as chairman of the House Budget Committee. He also voted for the Budget Control Act that allowed the nation to raise its debt limit. Part of the deal was creating the "sequester" that requires $1.2 trillion in automatic budget cuts, including more than $500 billion from defense over 10 years.

Speaking at the roundtable, Ryan also blamed Obama for the sequester despite his own vote for it. "We opposed it then; we oppose it now," Ryan said. :rollseyes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/23/mitt-romney-military-cuts-paul-ryan_n_1825295.html

Is it me, or do Republicans think nothing they say or do is part of their own record? :grin:

Peter1469
08-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Now that is funny!

Mainecoons
08-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Welcome to Washington D.C., Disneyland On The Potomac.

The biggest problem I have with this Republican ticket is they don't get it that the U.S. military needs to be drastically downsized, down costed and returned to being a defensive force. Let Europe, Korea, Israel, et. al. pay for their own defense.

Unfortunately, Mr. Obama has proven to be just another in a long line of military misadventurists. No matter who gets elected, it is going to be more of the same in this department.

URF8
08-23-2012, 04:59 PM
The military budget is going to be eviscerated so that America can continue paying out entitlements. Nothing can stop that now. Then discretionary spending on non-military items will be cut. That will leave debt service, medicare and social security as the only things the country can pay for. America will essentially become an indebted pension plan and nothing more.

Peter1469
08-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Welcome to Washington D.C., Disneyland On The Potomac.

The biggest problem I have with this Republican ticket is they don't get it that the U.S. military needs to be drastically downsized, down costed and returned to being a defensive force. Let Europe, Korea, Israel, et. al. pay for their own defense.

Unfortunately, Mr. Obama has proven to be just another in a long line of military misadventurists. No matter who gets elected, it is going to be more of the same in this department.

DC is not Disneyland on the Potomac; it is Mordor on the Potomac.

http://vicclap.hu/static/media/200603/pic28961.jpg

Mainecoons
08-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Sure it is, just one big Fantasy Land. Did you see the poll of the people there showing how most think everything is just ducky in America?

Washington isn't going to fix anything in America.

URF8
08-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm starting to like Cigar. His persistence reminds me of the Myth of Sisyphus.

birddog
08-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Since when did Cigar start presenting "truths?"

Frogger
08-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Maybe but I think Sisyphus would have known that it is Mitt Romney running for presdent, not Paul Ryan. It seems Cigar doesn't.

URF8
08-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Maybe but I think Sisyphus would have known that it is Mitt Romney running for presdent, not Paul Ryan. It seems Cigar doesn't.

Cigar did his undergraduate work at a party school in Illinois. What do you expect? Haha.

Cigar
08-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Cigar did his undergraduate work at a party school in Illinois. What do you expect? Haha.

Back in the early 90s when I was there, we went to Southern Illinois ... that's where the good parties were and the Women put-out. :)

Frogger
08-23-2012, 07:15 PM
I didn't know Miss Frances' Romper Room was in Illinois.

If you are younger than sixty you will have to look up Romper Room and/or Miss Frances Horowitz.

Frogger
08-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Back in the early 90s when I was there, we went to Southern Illinois ... that's where the good parties were and the Women put-out. :)

Back in the 60s when I went to college in Illinois we went to Chicago. That's where the action was.

Cigar
08-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Back in the 60s when I went to college in Illinois we went to Chicago. That's where the action was.

I went to ChamBanna ... :)