PDA

View Full Version : World Health Organization: Processed Meats Cause Cancer

Common
10-26-2015, 07:41 AM
Bacon lovers will be crushed

(Reuters) - Eating processed meat can lead to bowel cancer in humans while redmeat is a likely cause of the disease, World Health Organisation (WHO) experts said on Monday in findings that could sharpen debate over the merits of a meat-based diet. The France-based International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), part of the WHO, put processed meat such as hot dogs and ham in its group 1 list, which already includes tobacco, asbestos and diesel fumes, for which there is "sufficient evidence" of cancer links.
"For an individual, the risk of developing colorectal (bowel) cancer because of their consumption of processed meat remains small, but this risk increases with the amount of meat consumed," Dr Kurt Straif of the IARC said in a statement.
Red meat, under which the IARC includes beef, lamb and pork, was classified as a "probable" carcinogen in its group 2A list that also contains glyphosate, the active ingredient in many weedkillers.
The lower classification for red meat reflected "limited evidence" that it causes cancer. The IARC found links mainly with bowel cancer, as was the case for processed meat, but it also observed associations with pancreatic and prostate cancer.

The agency, whose findings on meat followed a meeting of health experts in France earlier this month, estimated each 50 gram portion of processed meat eaten daily increases the risk of colorectal cancer by 18 percent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/world-health-organization-processed-meats-cause-cancer_562e1144e4b0aac0b8fd51b2

For those that take issue with huffington post this is a Reuters story from huffington post
(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/world-health-organization-processed-meats-cause-cancer_562e1144e4b0aac0b8fd51b2)

Common Sense
10-26-2015, 07:43 AM
Bacon isn't really processed. It's just smoked.

Bacon cures cancer.

Mac-7
10-26-2015, 08:45 AM
So vegan has become the official position of the WHO?

They sound like crackpots to me.

nathanbforrest45
10-26-2015, 09:38 AM

Bacon cures cancer.

Alone with pimples and lung warts

Chloe
10-26-2015, 10:09 AM

It wont kill you to eat less meat, unlike eating more of it it seems. The meat industry and meat consumption (especially beef farming/production) is also extremely detrimental to the environment, not to mention cruel.

Common Sense
10-26-2015, 10:12 AM
It wont kill you to eat less meat, unlike eating more of it it seems. The meat industry and meat consumption (especially beef farming/production) is also extremely detrimental to the environment, not to mention cruel.

I was a vegetarian for years, then I ate free range chicken only. Now I eat basically everything, but where it comes from is the most important factor.

I probably do eat less meat than the average person. Most dinners are either vegetarian or with a little chicken. Most lunches are veg, but I will eat beef from time to time.

The average person eats way too much meat. The servings and frequency are just too much. It's not good for them or the environment.

Adelaide
10-26-2015, 10:21 AM

Processed meats and processed food in general has always been bad for humans and humans have pretty much known that for like 40+ years. The fact it raises the risk for cancer should not be surprising, but it is interesting they have been able to "prove" it to a certain degree.

And with red meat, it's about everything in moderation. I love game meats that are considered red meat, but hate beef and don't eat pork for cultural reasons - I eat red meat maybe once a year, maybe a few more times with beef if I can't avoid it. Chicken and turkey and fish are less stressful on the human body if you choose to eat meat every day. Fish is very good for you in certain amounts (again - everything in moderation). Red meat has been shown to have some good effects on the human body, but that gets cancelled out if it's all you eat all the time. It's like red wine having antioxidants - one glass works, an entire bottle is ill-advised and cancels out the positive effects.

The WHO is not made up of a bunch of hippies telling you to eat just kale and tofu - they've simply proved what most people have thought about processed food and basically said a diet too heavy in red meat is not healthy (which we already pretty much knew). These are two ideas that nutritionists and dieticians have been advising people of for years.

Crepitus
10-26-2015, 10:25 AM
Haven't we known forever that processed food is bad for us? All I can say is:

http://ludovic.chabant.com/devblog/2011/10/01/php-is-fucked-up/cat.jpg

Crepitus
10-26-2015, 10:26 AM

Bacon cures cancer.
It's also a sure-fire cure for vegetarianism.

Chloe
10-26-2015, 10:28 AM
It's also a sure-fire cure for vegetarianism.

Ive never had it, never will

Crepitus
10-26-2015, 10:32 AM
I've never had it, never will
But at least you know the cure is out there even if you never take advantage of it!

Mac-7
10-26-2015, 10:43 AM
Processed meats and processed food in general has always been bad for humans and humans have pretty much known that for like 40+ years. The fact it raises the risk for cancer should not be surprising, but it is interesting they have been able to "prove" it to a certain degree.

And with red meat, it's about everything in moderation. I love game meats that are considered red meat, but hate beef and don't eat pork for cultural reasons - I eat red meat maybe once a year, maybe a few more times with beef if I can't avoid it. Chicken and turkey and fish are less stressful on the human body if you choose to eat meat every day. Fish is very good for you in certain amounts (again - everything in moderation). Red meat has been shown to have some good effects on the human body, but that gets cancelled out if it's all you eat all the time. It's like red wine having antioxidants - one glass works, an entire bottle is ill-advised and cancels out the positive effects.

The WHO is not made up of a bunch of hippies telling you to eat just kale and tofu - they've simply proved what most people have thought about processed food and basically said a diet too heavy in red meat is not healthy (which we already pretty much knew). These are two ideas that nutritionists and dieticians have been advising people of for years.

If by processed meat you mean Soyent Green I tend to agree

And I think that's what the radicals at who want us to think of

But in fact I think they are against meat on all forms and that is political and unscientific.

Cletus
10-26-2015, 10:45 AM
Humans are designed to eat meat.

Chloe
10-26-2015, 10:47 AM

And guns are designed to kill, yet....:)

Mac-7

Yes, but the mission of progressives is to redesign humans in the progressives own image

Adelaide
If by processed meat you mean Soyent Green I tend to agree

And I think that's what the radicals at who want us to think of

But in fact I think they are against meat on all forms and that is political and unscientific.

I don't think they are against all meats or even red meat - they're merely warning us of what we already assumed about processed foods, and advising that red meat should probably not be something you eat several times a day or every day, but occasionally/in moderation. Again, this is something most nutritionists and dieticians have known for years and have advised people on for years. The WHO is actually a bit behind the ball on the issue.

Mac-7
10-26-2015, 10:48 AM

There is nothing wrong with killing for a good cause

Matty
10-26-2015, 10:50 AM

We really do best with a variety of food. I like them all meat fish breads, fruits and veggies. Milk and cheese. Beer.

Mac-7
10-26-2015, 10:51 AM
I don't think they are against all meats or even red meat - they're merely warning us

Progressives warn you first

But if you don't comply next time they make it mandatory

Common Sense
10-26-2015, 10:53 AM

I don't agree that we were "designed", but if we were, we were designed to eat a variety of things. If we were designed to eat a lot of meat, there was clearly a flaw in the design process.

Common Sense
10-26-2015, 10:54 AM

That's right. By authority of the UN and his holiness Barack H Obama, drop the cheeseburger an hand over the AR-15!

Adelaide
10-26-2015, 10:57 AM

Yes, and when our ancestors realised they could grow food and domesticate animals for food or byproducts they didn't kill the animals and then put them in a chemical, carcinogenic/teratogenic bath with fillers from God knows where before eating it. It should also be pointed out how short their lives were as compared to today. And their poor dentition. And numerous other factors.

Cletus
10-26-2015, 10:59 AM

If you do not know what you are talking about, you shouldn't talk.

In your case, that would result in extremely long periods of silence.

Chloe
10-26-2015, 11:00 AM

Yeaaah it was a joke, lighten up

Adelaide
10-26-2015, 11:01 AM

I think it's possible the government may try to regulate processed foods more, but I see absolutely no reason for them to do that or to get involved with the purchasing or production of red meat. If people want to be stupid and ruin their bodies with diets that don't follow recommended guidelines for nutrition, it's their own damn fault when they have an MI or get cancer.

Cletus
10-26-2015, 11:03 AM
I don't agree that we were "designed", but if we were, we were designed to eat a variety of things. If we were designed to eat a lot of meat, there was clearly a flaw in the design process.

If humans had not evolved as meat eaters, we would probably not exist to day. There are reasons carnivores are at the top of the food chain.

Common Sense
10-26-2015, 11:04 AM
If humans had not evolved as meat eaters, we would probably not exist to day. There are reasons carnivores are at the top of the food chain.

Humans aren't carnivores. Humans are omnivores.

As you said...

Cletus
10-26-2015, 11:07 AM
Humans aren't carnivores. Humans are omnivores.

As you said...

Go back and read what I wrote.

If you need me to explain it to you, I suppose I can try to dumb it down, but I can only go so far with that.

Tahuyaman
10-26-2015, 11:19 AM
Why are so many people so obsessed with telling everyone how to live?

Chloe
10-26-2015, 11:20 AM

If you need me to explain it to you, I suppose I can try to dumb it down, but I can only go so far with that.

Well you did sort of imply that humans are at the top of the food chain because of being carnivorous. I knew what you meant but you clearly stated carnivore and since we are talking about humans it definitely seemed that's what you were saying. Again though, I knew what you meant so I'm not trying to call you out, fight or embarrass you.

Fact of the matter is that in the wild the true carnivores exist to help control animal populations but that isn't for all ecosystems. Bears are omnivores for example and are at the top of the food chain in many ecosystems and compete with pure carnivores like cougars and wolves. It's true though that in the wild herbivores are not the top of the food chain, but if humans were truly surviving in the wild like our species came from we wouldn't be at the top. Meat would probably be a rare source of food for a wild human with fruits and wild edibles being it's main food source.

Matty
10-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Humans are both. Look at the teeth. We have canines for ripping meat and molars for crushing grains, nuts, fruits and veggies.

Common Sense
10-26-2015, 11:26 AM

You implied that humans are carnivores. Are we not at the top of the food chain?

Take your own advice dude...

Common Sense
10-26-2015, 11:28 AM
Humans are both. Look at the teeth. We have canines for ripping meat and molars for crushing grains, nuts, fruits and veggies.

We are omnivores. Carnivores get their nutrition mainly or exclusively from meat.

Cletus
10-26-2015, 11:31 AM
You implied that humans are carnivores. Are we not at the top of the food chain?

Are we?

Remove our technology and see.

Dude.

Common Sense
10-26-2015, 11:32 AM
Are we?

Dude.

Our technology is part of who we are. The weapons we created put us at the top of the food chain (as omnivores).

Like I said, take your own advice.

Chloe
10-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Are we?

Dude.

Oh remove our technology and go down to our natural animal state and we are far from the top

Dark Mistress
10-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Everything causes cancer. Every year there is new evidence that this substance or that substance causes cancer. We are all doomed.

jimmyz
10-30-2015, 06:51 PM
I have read that vegetarians sometimes have nutritional deficiencies due to not consuming meat. Why do that to yourself when steaks are so damned delicious and nutritionally packed.

Common
10-30-2015, 07:44 PM
I think the key is processed foods. I believe if you eat a steak now and then youre just fine. Where things go bad is when man screws with it, adds all kinds of chemicals. Cold cuts like salami and baloney are pure garbage in my opinion. Hotdogs and anything else that is processed and has man made additives.

Humans will always eat meat, not all but most. What makes meat bad today is the antibiotics they feed the beef and growth hormones etc.

I do believe "processed meats" are some of the worst things you can eat.

Dark Mistress
10-30-2015, 07:57 PM
I think the key is processed foods. I believe if you eat a steak now and then youre just fine. Where things go bad is when man screws with it, adds all kinds of chemicals. Cold cuts like salami and baloney are pure garbage in my opinion. Hotdogs and anything else that is processed and has man made additives.

Humans will always eat meat, not all but most. What makes meat bad today is the antibiotics they feed the beef and growth hormones etc.

I do believe "processed meats" are some of the worst things you can eat.
Talk to a rancher about growth hormones and antibiotics. The propaganda we are fed is a lot of garbage on the topic. I know everyone has their own opinion on the matter but I feel the farmer/rancher who went to school and studied in that field knows a heck of a lot more than I do who reads random articles on both sides of the argument. Cattle are not "pumped full of antibiotics." At least the beef raisers I know do not do so and get pretty pissed off at all the lies spread about the industry. I put more stock in an honest rancher than biased research and articles.

I will see if I can find a link to an article that helps express my view.

[URL] https://m.facebook.com/jrsanchez.esq/posts/pcb.10208197159395186/?photo_id=10208199124724318&mds=%2Fphotos%2Fviewer%2F%3Fphotoset_token%3Dpcb.1 0208197159395186%26photo%3D10208199124724318%26pro fileid%3D17812211%26source%3D49%26refid%3D17%26_ft _%3Dtop_level_post_id.10102257845336819%253Atl_obj id.10102257845336819%26cached_data%3Dfalse%26ftid% 3Du_f_3&mdf=1 /URL]

Not sure if the link copied properly I am using my phone...

Common
10-30-2015, 08:01 PM
Talk to a rancher about growth hormones and antibiotics. The propaganda we are fed is a lot of garbage on the topic. I know everyone has their own opinion on the matter but I feel the farmer/rancher who went to school and studied in that field knows a heck of a lot more than I do who reads random articles on both sides of the argument. Cattle are not "pumped full of antibiotics." At least the beef raisers I know do not do so and get pretty pissed off at all the lies spread about the industry. I put more stock in an honest rancher than biased research and articles.

I will see if I can find a link to an article that helps express my view.

[URL] https://m.facebook.com/jrsanchez.esq/posts/pcb.10208197159395186/?photo_id=10208199124724318&mds=%2Fphotos%2Fviewer%2F%3Fphotoset_token%3Dpcb.1 0208197159395186%26photo%3D10208199124724318%26pro fileid%3D17812211%26source%3D49%26refid%3D17%26_ft _%3Dtop_level_post_id.10102257845336819%3Atl_objid .10102257845336819%26cached_data%3Dfalse%26ftid%3D u_f_3&mdf=1 /URL]

Not sure if the link copied properly I am using my phone...

Dark Mistress wouldnt you agree that in every profession there is good and there is bad ? I very much believe there are honest ranchers and I believe just as much there are ranchers that artificially pump up their cattle to get more poundage for auction. I also believe the antibiotics are used more in Poultry and pork industry.

I also believe when the media has an agenda they tell us what they want us to believe and the opposite when they do not.

Dark Mistress
10-30-2015, 08:01 PM
Let me try again:

https://m.facebook.com/jrsanchez.esq/posts/pcb.10208197159395186/?photo_id=10208199124724318&mds=%2Fphotos%2Fviewer%2F%3Fphotoset_token%3Dpcb.1 0208197159395186%26photo%3D10208199124724318%26pro fileid%3D17812211%26source%3D49%26refid%3D17%26_ft _%3Dtop_level_post_id.10102257845336819%253Atl_obj id.10102257845336819%26cached_data%3Dfalse%26ftid% 3Du_f_3&mdf=1

Dark Mistress
10-30-2015, 08:04 PM
Dark Mistress wouldnt you agree that in every profession there is good and there is bad ? I very much believe there are honest ranchers and I believe just as much there are ranchers that artificially pump up their cattle to get more poundage for auction. I also believe the antibiotics are used more in Poultry and pork industry.

I also believe when the media has an agenda they tell us what they want us to believe and the opposite when they do not.
Yes I do agree. There are people in the business of making a good, honest living and those merely seeking maximum profit regardless. My dad was a rancher. My brother in law and his family are rancher. Many of my friends parent were and still are ranchers. There are regulations set by the FDA and as my BIL has explained to me we are not sold beef as media has told us (pumped full of hormones and antibiotics) because FDA standards don't allow for that. They have regulations and guidelines most of which we are unaware as it isn't our profession

Dark Mistress
10-30-2015, 08:10 PM

Most of my info, again, comes from my BIL and he says hormones aren't used in poultry. FDA doesn't allow hormone use in chickens. Prior to butchering animals are tested for hormones and if there is any detected they aren't worthy of the FDA stamp of approval. That approval is necessary for meat raisers to sell their product.

Common
10-30-2015, 08:17 PM
Most of my info, again, comes from my BIL and he says hormones aren't used in poultry. FDA doesn't allow hormone use in chickens. Prior to butchering animals are tested for hormones and if there is any detected they aren't worthy of the FDA stamp of approval. That approval is necessary for meat raisers to sell their product.

Fla raises more steers than texas, theres a lifelong rancher in the VFW and he says he makes alot less than the ranchers that artificially pump up their cattle and in his words shootem up. He says he does not and will not pump antibiotics and other things into his cattle. Theres good and bad in everything

Dangermouse
10-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Yes I do agree. There are people in the business of making a good, honest living and those merely seeking maximum profit regardless. My dad was a rancher. My brother in law and his family are rancher. Many of my friends parent were and still are ranchers. There are regulations set by the FDA and as my BIL has explained to me we are not sold beef as media has told us (pumped full of hormones and antibiotics) because FDA standards don't allow for that. They have regulations and guidelines most of which we are unaware as it isn't our profession

The FDA has set a permitted level of feces in meat. Cook it well.

Private Pickle
10-30-2015, 08:34 PM
The FDA has set a permitted level of feces in meat. Cook it well.

I know when I get done with a night with CO I have a set permitted level of feces on my meat.

Captain Obvious
10-30-2015, 08:42 PM
I know when I get done with a night with CO I have a set permitted level of feces on my meat.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/53328972.jpg

Tahuyaman
10-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Potato chips cause cancer. Hot dogs cause cancer. Rainbow sherbet causes cancer. White rice causes cancer. Well done beef causes cancer. Eating walnuts causes cancer. Bay scallops cause cancer.

Being alive causes cancer.

Peter1469
10-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Everything causes cancer. Every year there is new evidence that this substance or that substance causes cancer. We are all doomed.

Everyone has cancer cells. The key is to have a strong immune system.

Common
10-30-2015, 09:26 PM
Let me try again:

https://m.facebook.com/jrsanchez.esq/posts/pcb.10208197159395186/?photo_id=10208199124724318&mds=%2Fphotos%2Fviewer%2F%3Fphotoset_token%3Dpcb.1 0208197159395186%26photo%3D10208199124724318%26pro fileid%3D17812211%26source%3D49%26refid%3D17%26_ft _%3Dtop_level_post_id.10102257845336819%3Atl_objid .10102257845336819%26cached_data%3Dfalse%26ftid%3D u_f_3&mdf=1 (https://m.facebook.com/jrsanchez.esq/posts/pcb.10208197159395186/?photo_id=10208199124724318&mds=%2Fphotos%2Fviewer%2F%3Fphotoset_token%3Dpcb.1 0208197159395186%26photo%3D10208199124724318%26pro fileid%3D17812211%26source%3D49%26refid%3D17%26_ft _%3Dtop_level_post_id.10102257845336819%3Atl_objid .10102257845336819%26cached_data%3Dfalse%26ftid%3D u_f_3&mdf=1)

I dont know what the point is, its a rancher making claims Ok. Its not only antibiotics, its the steroids to pump up their weight for auction. 100lbs more a steer is a ton of money.

Dark Mistress
10-30-2015, 10:13 PM
I dont know what the point is, its a rancher making claims Ok. Its not only antibiotics, its the steroids to pump up their weight for auction. 100lbs more a steer is a ton of money.
The post was in response to subway saying they would not longer use beef treated with hormones or antibiotics. This rancher responded to help educate people on the use of antibiotics in cattle. The thing that kills me is we use them for the same reasons. To fight infection and prevent it from spreading. Ranchers who only treat as needed get upset being accused of "pumping" animals full of antibiotics and losing business because of propaganda.

This same ranching family also acquired the certified organic label a few years ago and decided thereafter it wasn't worth all the extra hoops with the FDA standards. Their animals were still vaccinated and given antibiotics when necessary.

jimmyz
10-31-2015, 12:56 AM
Everyone has cancer cells. The key is to have a strong immune system.

Bingo! You pollute you body allowing your natural cancer defeating ability to lose your natural cancer defeating ability to lose. Good post Peter!