PDA

View Full Version : Fact-Checkers Plead With Rand Paul To Stop Fabricating Quotes From The Founding fathe

Mark III
10-27-2015, 09:01 PM
"Two BuzzFeed journalists who routinely fact-check political candidates published an open letter (http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/an-open-letter-to-rand-paul-please-for-the-love-of-god-stop) to Republican presidential hopeful Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) begging him to "stop using fake founding fathers quotes."

The letter, which fact checked quotes Paul attributed to the nation's founding fathers, was signed by BuzzFeed political reporters Andrew Kaczynski and Megan Apper.

The two looked at quotes from Paul's books and a speech he gave — and fact checked them with a historian, a professor, a search on Google, and an expert on Abraham Lincoln who said Paul incorrectly attributed a quote to the former President.
In June (http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/rand-pauls-first-two-books-are-full-of-fake-founding-fathers), BuzzFeed reported that "Rand Paul's first two books are full of fake founding fathers quotes.""

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/rand-paul-buzzfeed-founding-fathers

"Dear Sen. Rand Paul,
Four months ago, we brought to your attention that your first two books contained several quotations (http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/rand-pauls-first-two-books-are-full-of-fake-founding-fathers#.gjdjobZAo) incorrectly attributed to our founding fathers.
........Just this week you released a new book, Our President &Their Prayers: Proclamation of Faith by America’s Leaders, with co-author James Robison who “compiled and edited” the text. It too is full of fake quotations.
If you Google the language of (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Bless+our+land+with+honorable+industry%2C+soun d+learning+and+pure+manners.+Save+us+from+violence %2C+discord+and+confusion) the “National Prayer of Peace,” which you attribute to Thomas Jefferson, the first result is a page from the Thomas Jefferson Foundation debunking the quotation (https://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/national-prayer-peace).
When we called Harold Holzer — who’s written 50 books on Abraham Lincoln and is the one of country’s foremost Lincoln scholars — to ask about a Lincoln quotation in your book, he replied, “Oh, not this again.”
.......You quote “Washington’s Prayer Journal” on multiple occasions in your Washington chapter.
This is where we stopped checking. You did a chapter on every president and we don’t have the time to check them all.
All the best,
Andrew Kaczynski and Megan Apper
Reporter/Researchers, BuzzFeed News"

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/an-open-letter-to-rand-paul-please-for-the-love-of-god-stop#.nqYNMb2Mz

Mark III
10-27-2015, 09:03 PM
lol. I forgot Rand Paul was even in the Republican race, or the Senate for that matter, until I read this tonight. I guess bad pub is better than none.

Peter1469
10-27-2015, 09:14 PM
I think that they don't have time to check any of them.

Common
10-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Flipflops and mistatements have been the catalyst of the fall of Rand Paul. He is nothing like his father.

Tahuyaman
10-27-2015, 09:53 PM
Paul's response.........
"I mean, this idiot says the same thing about my speeches," Paul told WaPo (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/10/27/rand-paul-says-its-idiocy-to-challenge-his-quotes-from-founding-fathers/?postshare=5311445980749619). "Do I need to say in my speech, as many people attribute to Thomas Jefferson, but some people dispute, before I give the quote? It’s idiocy, it’s pedantry – it’s ridiculous stuff from partisan hacks. And I’d say that guy’s one of ‘em."

sounds about right.

Cletus
10-27-2015, 10:20 PM
Paul's response.........

sounds about right.

Sure, it is right. The title of this thread is misleading. I suspect that was deliberate.

There are many quotes attributed to the Founders that are under dispute. They may have said some of them. Some of them may be things people just wish they had said. The thing is, if a quote is commonly attributed to someone and someone assumes that quote is legitimate and uses it (with attribution), he is not fabricating the quote.

Fabricating the quote suggests he made it up.

Tahuyaman
10-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Misrepresentation of the facts is the default position of the person who started this thread.

Mark III
10-27-2015, 11:14 PM
Misrepresentation of the facts is the default position of the person who started this thread.

lol.

Rand Paul as much as admitted that he isnt sure about the quotes he uses. BUT THE FACT CHECKERS ARE. My assumption would be that they are right and he is wrong. And the article and the letter give detailed examples.

Get your weak shit outta here.

Mark III
10-27-2015, 11:16 PM
Sure, it is right. The title of this thread is misleading. I suspect that was deliberate.

There is nothing misleading about the title of the thread whatsoever. It very accurately represents the content of the linked and highlighted article. Is there something wrong with you ?

Tahuyaman
10-27-2015, 11:17 PM
again, that's not an accurate reflection of what he said. Read his response again and get it right

SouthernBelle82
10-27-2015, 11:18 PM
Flipflops and mistatements have been the catalyst of the fall of Rand Paul. He is nothing like his father.He's just bad as him. Ew. At least one of them has gone away. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Rand does too. Couldn't happen to a nicer fella and soon enough.

Cletus
10-27-2015, 11:19 PM
There is nothing misleading about the title of the thread whatsoever. It very accurately represents the content of the linked and highlighted article. Is there something wrong with you ?

It is misleading. Whether it was deliberate or just a demonstration of incompetence, I guess only you know.

Peter1469
10-28-2015, 05:15 AM
It is misleading. Whether it was deliberate or just a demonstration of incompetence, I guess only you know.

It is misleading and pretty silly.

AeonPax
10-28-2015, 05:52 AM
`
If someone is going to write a book using quotes that are being questioned as to their authenticity, and use those same quotes as if they are 100% verifiable and undisputed, they are in effect "Lying" unless they inform the reader that such quotes are in reality, quotes that are still under academic question. Such things however have become an inherent mainstay for the conservative right. Huckabee does it (Huckabee: Not My Fault I Used False Quotes In My Book (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dispatches/2015/10/08/huckabee-not-my-fault-i-used-false-quotes-in-my-book/)).

When one is writing a book to a dumbed down audience, you don't let things such as accuracy, veracity and facts get in the way, if you are pushing your ideology.

Tahuyaman
10-28-2015, 07:39 AM

It was an example of intellectual dishonesty. It was purposely misleading. As usual.

Mark III
10-28-2015, 08:55 AM
It is misleading and pretty silly.

There is nothing misleading about either the title or the article. Rand Paul is free to prove that the quotes he uses are authentic and accurate. I bet you he doesn't.

The complaints here about this thread are ankle biting. What else is there to say ?

Peter1469
10-28-2015, 05:59 PM
lol

OGIS
10-28-2015, 06:05 PM
"The Internet contains useful information but one must select it with care," - Abraham Lincoln in a letter to a Civil War Widow Aug 5, 1863..."

OGIS
10-28-2015, 06:11 PM

There are many quotes attributed to the Founders that are under dispute. They may have said some of them. Some of them may be things people just wish they had said. The thing is, if a quote is commonly attributed to someone and someone assumes that quote is legitimate and uses it (with attribution), he is not fabricating the quote.

Fabricating the quote suggests he made it up.

When, in fact, the person using the quote is merely being being a dumbass. If Thomas Jefferson supposedly said something, and it is central to my argument, I'm damn well gonna check it at Monticito.org or other legit site (as compared to some of the "special needs" websites that are usually cited).

"The Internet contains useful information but one must select it with care," - Abraham Lincoln in a letter to a Civil War Widow Aug 5, 1863..."

OGIS
10-28-2015, 06:15 PM
lol.

Rand Paul as much as admitted that he isnt sure about the quotes he uses. BUT THE FACT CHECKERS ARE. My assumption would be that they are right and he is wrong. And the article and the letter give detailed examples.

Get your weak $#@! outta here.

Gee. It's almost as if he (Tahuyaboy) lies in wait, under rocks or whatnot, for tender juicy prey (threads) to walk by (get posted). Criteria for attack include an almost-Pavlovian kneejerk support for anything criticized by the people that the voices in his head tell him are the Enemy.

Tahuyaman
10-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Gee. It's almost as if he (Tahuyaboy) lies in wait, under rocks or whatnot, for tender juicy prey (threads) to walk by (get posted).

You sure don't need to wait long. Between you, Exo, cigar and clown who initiated this thread, this is a target rich environment.

OGIS
10-28-2015, 06:44 PM
You sure don't need to wait long. Between you, Exo, cigar and clown who initiated this thread, this is a target rich environment.

Don't you have a test to study for?

Tahuyaman
10-28-2015, 06:57 PM
Don't you have a test to study for?

No, but what if I did? Do you have a problem with people becoming educated?

Tahuyaman
10-28-2015, 06:58 PM

That is a factual statement which can not be disputed in any credible way. Demonstrated by the idiotic response from the dude who's off his meds.

OGIS
10-28-2015, 07:15 PM
No, but what if I did? Do you have a problem with people becoming educated?

Only where the cost/benefit ratio is totally unrealistic.