PDA

View Full Version : Is "faggot" or "fag" generally offensive?

Captain Obvious
08-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Simple question. Posted this on another forum, wondering what this group thinks.

Awryly
08-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Simple question. Posted this on another forum, wondering what this group thinks.

Nah. I smoke them all the time.

Conley
08-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Not such a simple question. Depends on the context really. Same thing with mah nigga. :shocked:

Trinnity
08-25-2012, 12:42 AM
People are so hyper sensitive it's pathetic. Faggot? Naw......

Conley
08-25-2012, 12:45 AM
People are so hyper sensitive it's pathetic. Faggot? Naw......

But you get so upset when people mention teabaggers...

Trinnity
08-25-2012, 01:14 AM
It's a sexual slur, hatefully applied to a political movement. It's like calling my mom a ****. I draw the line at both those words. Period.

Conley
08-25-2012, 01:16 AM
But you get so upset when people mention teabaggers...

It's a sexual slur, hatefully applied to a political movement. It's like calling my mom a ****. I draw the line at both those words. Period.

So how is "faggot" not a sexual slur? That seems like the very definition of a sexual slur.

roadmaster
08-25-2012, 01:20 AM
Well I don't use that word but they also get upset at gay. I am not going to say alternative lifestyle.

KC
08-25-2012, 01:21 AM
Most of my gay friends are fine with me calling them gay. But that's just my experience.

Conley
08-25-2012, 01:23 AM
Well I don't use that word but they also get upset at gay. I am not going to say alternative lifestyle.

That's a false equivalence though...like n***er/black. There's a big difference!

roadmaster
08-25-2012, 01:42 AM
If you look up the word negro, it means black. Caucasian means white. I don't have a problem with any of these words. Now Ni**er is a slang to demean so is cracker and sometimes depending on the person "redneck".

Conley
08-25-2012, 01:55 AM
Most of my gay friends are fine with me calling them gay. But that's just my experience.

Mine too...in fact I've never had a gay friend object to being called gay. Then again sexual orientation doesnt come up very often...I like a very specific kind of woman but there's no name for my sexual preference. The whole thing is ridiculous IMO...just another wedge issue in America to keep voters distracted from real issues

Awryly
08-25-2012, 02:24 AM
Mine too...in fact I've never had a gay friend object to being called gay. Then again sexual orientation doesnt come up very often...I like a very specific kind of woman but there's no name for my sexual preference. The whole thing is ridiculous IMO...just another wedge issue in America to keep voters distracted from real issues

Don't knock it. It works. Look at Adlin.

roadmaster
08-25-2012, 02:49 AM
With my brother-in-law being gay and I know many of his friends some do not like being called gay. I don't bring it up but some do get annoyed at the others that are gay calling them gay.

Trinnity
08-25-2012, 03:02 AM
So how is "faggot" not a sexual slur? That seems like the very definition of a sexual slur.It's a euphemism for a gay, homo, queer. That's a sex orientation, not a sex act. That's the difference.

birddog
08-25-2012, 05:48 AM
In the sixties, we called them queers or faggots. In the seventies, we called them homosexuals. In the eighties, we started calling them gays. In the nineties, we just started calling them democrats! (joke)

Seriously, I prefer homosexuals or homos for abbreviation. I rarely use gay because I feel that means "happy." It's also a political term used to soften the abnormality of homosexuality.

Captain Obvious
09-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Bump - for the newbies

Goldie Locks
09-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I don't get offended with blond jokes or being called a cracker...but whatever.

VertTonic
09-04-2012, 06:01 PM
I dont know, I know my brother calls me a fag sometimes, I am a chick and hes just stupid and probably has no idea its a slur of sorts, and we have a lesbian sister and she never gets offended because we just know hes not that bright, so I guess if you want to look at it like omg its so bad, to me its whatever. When the dumbass Perez Hilton got into a fight with some guy from the Black Eyed Peas he called him a "fag" and hes gay and he said he said it because its just the most hurtful thing you can call someone and I totally disagree. If you are a huge sissy, then I can see how you would be offended as you probably would act like you are chronically on your period. Not you Trinnity. ;)

GCF
09-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Simple question. Posted this on another forum, wondering what this group thinks.Depends, it would seem one can spit more shouting out Faggot then Fag in another persons face so I would think Faggot is more offensive. If you don't spit while saying it I really can't see an issue.

Peter1469
09-04-2012, 06:14 PM
I voted yes, but context matters.

Smartmouthwoman
09-04-2012, 06:49 PM
I think both terms are offensive and if I was a lesbian, would prob kick somebody's ass for calling me a faggot or fag.

If I was a gay man, I'd prob cry.

So, yes, they're generally offensive words.

Here's an interesting play on gay words. When giving directions, most gays won't say 'go straight' preferring the term 'go forward.' I think of this quirk among gays everytime I see Barack's new slogan. Very fitting for our faggish president.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTa45O33ks6upjsfD1nBhdPz2Xl3yIe7 Tb2u_Von-lAh7pjnkVf&t=1

Deadwood
09-04-2012, 06:52 PM

I quit smoking 27 months ago.

I have a gay friend who sometimes refers to himself as a faggot and I always reply "a faggot is a burning stick used to start a fire, which end of you is burning?"

Nice try on getting a fight going though....

coolwalker
09-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Those words are only offensive to fags, who are a minority, therefore too bad. Perhaps just plain pervert would be more to their liking.

Mister D
09-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Only faggots think so. Some fags do too.

Calypso Jones
09-05-2012, 09:09 AM
a fag is a fag but a tea partier is not a tea bagger. A fag is.

It's the term. How many more words are gonna be deemed off limits. I notice that cracker never is. or redneck. or white devil for that matter. breeders too.

GrumpyDog
09-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Hey, is the term Stupid Motherfucker okay when desribing conservatives , or is just the word Stupid good enough?

Mister D
09-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Shut up, faggot. :grin:

coolwalker
09-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Hey, is the term Stupid Motherfucker okay when desribing conservatives , or is just the word Stupid good enough?
Those words are reserved for Liberals.

Cigar
09-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
~ Mike Tyson (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mike_tyson.html)

Mister D
09-05-2012, 10:57 AM

Now there is a specimen of humanity. :laugh:

Calypso Jones
09-05-2012, 11:34 AM

You can use whatever terms you want...you do now. You can even talk about killing them. or hanging or killing their families. Most people realize at this point that you're just projecting.

Are you in to letting conservatives label themselves? No. you do it for them. Same with homos. I generally don't call them fags but i notice it's done sometimes in movies and books. I just refuse to let them usurp the term gay. They're not gay. they're homos or homosexuals. It's not insult unless you take it so and i assume they do since they want to be Gay or alternate lifestyle. For me it is an adjective. I admit i am getting a little short about the whole subject. who wouldn't.

Kabuki Joe
09-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Not such a simple question. Depends on the context really. Same thing with mah nigga. :shocked:

...agreed...I use it with all my coworkers that are straight...I don't think I would use it with someone gay...

Kabuki Joe

Cigar
09-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Now there is a specimen of humanity. :laugh:

That's probably what they all said; just microseconds before the knuckles connected with the eye-socket. :)

Mister D
09-05-2012, 02:18 PM
That's probably what they all said; just microseconds before the knuckles connected with the eye-socket. :)

Wow. Mike Tyson can kick my ass. Don't I feel like less of a man. Wait...now that I think about it a baboon can kick my ass too. What's your point, Cigar? :grin:

Kabuki Joe
09-05-2012, 02:23 PM

...LOLOLOLOL...you still thinking because you and Mike Tyson are both black you are both badasses?...oh, and remember what a bum in Buster Douglas did to Mike Tyson?...

Kabuki Joe

GrumpyDog
09-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Another possible insulting word may be the word "Swell" from "Leave it to Beaver" as in "Gee Wally that's swell".

Conley
09-05-2012, 05:15 PM
...LOLOLOLOL...you still thinking because you and Mike Tyson are both black you are both badasses?...oh, and remember what a bum in Buster Douglas did to Mike Tyson?...

Kabuki Joe

Buster Douglas...also black :afro:

Conley
09-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Another possible insulting word may be the word "Swell" from "Leave it to Beaver" as in "Gee Wally that's swell".

As a dog how have you lived long enough to remember the Beev? Im starting to think that photo of you is a fake...

Mak
09-05-2012, 05:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7C0vd-L5lg

Conley
09-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Even though I voted and argued for heck yes it is offensive, I think Mak just won the thread.

Kabuki Joe
09-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Buster Douglas...also black :afro:

...who quit against Holyfield, another black...

Kabuki Joe