PDA

View Full Version : What Is Ben Carson Up To ?

Mark III
11-07-2015, 09:11 AM
There are two bits of Ben Carson's past currently under strong scrutiny by the media. One, that he had "rage" as a young teen and tried to harm friends and family physically, but was saved by some sort of divine intervention or inspiration, and two, that he had been "offered a full scholarship" by the U.S. Military Academy usually referred to as "West Point". Both of these incidents are described in Carson's autobiography "Gifted Hands", but more interestingly, he evidently brings these events up quite regularly in his political stump speech as he runs for president.

Why is Carson so anxious for people to hear that he tried to stab a friend in the stomach or hit his mother with a hammer ? Why does he want it known that he was a top ROTC leader and wanted for service as an officer in the US Army.

Carson is broadening his appeal. It is obvious when you think about it, but less so when such incidents exist only in the flow of a book, as opposed to recorded speeches and interviews.

Carson would like to get black votes, and black votes may be critical were he to make it to the general election. Carson's narrative without the flirtation with thuggery would lack a certain authenticity. He grew up in a tough and dangerous Detroit neighborhood but was a .... "nerd" or bookworm ? Ooooh. That hurts. But if he can tell about the times he was a tough guy or "thug", he seems to more represent the challenges of the ghetto, which he then overcame through his own innate qualities and the hand of God. Similarly with the "West Point" story, he gains some cred as a tough guy "patriot" that might not be as visible in a soft spoken surgeon. He wasn't in the military, but damn, THEY wanted him bad. They singled him out at a banquet and offered him a full scholarship. Carson doesn't mention that everyone who is accepted to West Point gets a "full scholarship", perhaps thinking that he will be seen as standing out. This West Point story is the seed of Carson's national security bona fides. Or so he may believe.

If you are able to stay awake through a Ben Carson speech or interview, you see a man who praises himself constantly, sort of a "bizarro world" Donald Trump. His bragging is about different things than Trump in that it doesn't involve money every five seconds, but this is a man with a big big ego. And never forget, God wants him to run for President, and no doubt, God wants HIM to wiin.

Carson is complaining vociferously that the media is being unfair to him, but I think the opposite has been true up until the past few days. The media has been almost deferential to Carson because he is a famous doctor. They will learn to look past that, I predict.

Captain Obvious
11-07-2015, 09:12 AM
He wants to reinstate the confederacy and slavery

Chris
11-07-2015, 09:23 AM
IOW, he's campaigning.

Mark III
11-07-2015, 09:32 AM
IOW, he's campaigning.

You are assuming he is entirely truthful about these incidents, which is a risky bet. We have a sample from Ben Carson - The biblical Joseph, who was not alive when the pyramids were built, built the pyramids through the hand of God, for the purpose of storing grain, because God had ordered Joseph to store grain. Carson has also equated present day U.S. with Nazi Germany, and mandatory health insurance with slavery. He has an erratic and unreliable imagination, so much so that all his stories need vetting.

Chris
11-07-2015, 09:35 AM
You are assuming he is entirely truthful about these incidents, which is a risky bet. We have a sample from Ben Carson - The biblical Joseph, who was not alive when the pyramids were built, built the pyramids through the hand of God, for the purpose of storing grain, because God had ordered Joseph to store grain. Carson has also equated present day U.S. with Nazi Germany, and mandatory health insurance with slavery. He has an erratic and unreliable imagination, so much so that all his stories need vetting.

You, as per habit, put words in my mouth. I presume a politicians lie. All politicians need vetting.

Especially Hillary.

birddog
11-07-2015, 09:37 AM
We are finding that Carson is far more honest and forthcoming about his history than Barry or Hillary has been! Politico is already walking back their lies about Carson.

Captain Obvious
11-07-2015, 09:40 AM
IOW, he's campaigning.

Yeah, as if the Dem candidates aren't.

midcan5
11-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Remember when you were just a little snot and you got in mom's purse or sister's piggy bank. When mom caught you you stood tall and told her clearly that Joanie down the block did the same. Mom thought for a moment and then said, I never thought of that when I was caught doing anything wrong. Johnnie you are going to be a great and honest person, a politician maybe and if not at least an online poster apologist. You've learned so quickly to equivocate, dad and I are proud.

Captain Obvious
11-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Remember when you were just a little snot and you got in mom's purse or sister's piggy bank. When mom caught you you stood tall and told her clearly that Joanie down the block did the same. Mom thought for a moment and then said, I never thought of that when I was caught doing anything wrong. Johnnie you are going to be a great and honest person, a politician maybe and if not at least online poster. You've learned so quickly to equivocate, dad and I are proud.

Didn't happen that way with me, the other way around actually - it's always my piggy bank that's being broken into, by liberals mostly.

Gypsy
11-07-2015, 10:20 AM
I've never known of a politician that tried so hard to convince people he was a thug.

Mark III
11-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Remember when you were just a little snot and you got in mom's purse or sister's piggy bank. When mom caught you you stood tall and told her clearly that Joanie down the block did the same. Mom thought for a moment and then said, I never thought of that when I was caught doing anything wrong. Johnnie you are going to be a great and honest person, a politician maybe and if not at least an online poster apologist. You've learned so quickly to equivocate, dad and I are proud.

Why is it that we never see anyone endorse Ben Carson for President ? Does he have any prominent people actually supporting his candidacy 100% ? I've never heard of a single one.

Captain Obvious
11-07-2015, 10:26 AM
I've never known of a politician that tried so hard to convince people he was a thug.

He needs an entourage and a Cadillac Escalade.

Gypsy
11-07-2015, 10:30 AM
He doesn't have any endorsements. Maybe Mannatech will endorse him.

Ransom
11-07-2015, 10:32 AM
Why is it that we never see anyone endorse Ben Carson for President ? Does he have any prominent people actually supporting his candidacy 100% ? I've never heard of a single one.

Make no mistake when reading this post above.

Prominent People = establishment politicians/media

Make no mistake that is the truth in interpretation there.

Great teachable moment here for who the Left really is. If you're not endorsed by media queens nor prominent politicians, you ain't relevant. Here we have one of the world's greatest physicians who has an even greater story about coming from adversity..... supported and endorsed by millions according to polls.... but no one 'prominent'...... no one with their hands in other's pockets, no one in the biased media endorses him so hey....... irrelevant.

Ransom
11-07-2015, 10:36 AM
He doesn't have any endorsements. Maybe Mannatech will endorse him.

He has and receives my endorsements and money. Although I'd personally love to see him in the VP slot. I think he'd do a champion job with domestic issues while the President focuses on this stagnant economy and the absolute mess abroad.

hanger4
11-07-2015, 10:41 AM

Really ?? Nobody is endorsing Carson ?? Or is it nobody endorses Carson that you agree with ??

Safety
11-07-2015, 10:45 AM
There are two bits of Ben Carson's past currently under strong scrutiny by the media. One, that he had "rage" as a young teen and tried to harm friends and family physically, but was saved by some sort of divine intervention or inspiration, and two, that he had been "offered a full scholarship" by the U.S. Military Academy usually referred to as "West Point". Both of these incidents are described in Carson's autobiography "Gifted Hands", but more interestingly, he evidently brings these events up quite regularly in his political stump speech as he runs for president.

Why is Carson so anxious for people to hear that he tried to stab a friend in the stomach or hit his mother with a hammer ? Why does he want it known that he was a top ROTC leader and wanted for service as an officer in the US Army.

Carson is broadening his appeal. It is obvious when you think about it, but less so when such incidents exist only in the flow of a book, as opposed to recorded speeches and interviews.

Carson would like to get black votes, and black votes may be critical were he to make it to the general election. Carson's narrative without the flirtation with thuggery would lack a certain authenticity. He grew up in a tough and dangerous Detroit neighborhood but was a .... "nerd" or bookworm ? Ooooh. That hurts. But if he can tell about the times he was a tough guy or "thug", he seems to more represent the challenges of the ghetto, which he then overcame through his own innate qualities and the hand of God. Similarly with the "West Point" story, he gains some cred as a tough guy "patriot" that might not be as visible in a soft spoken surgeon. He wasn't in the military, but damn, THEY wanted him bad. They singled him out at a banquet and offered him a full scholarship. Carson doesn't mention that everyone who is accepted to West Point gets a "full scholarship", perhaps thinking that he will be seen as standing out. This West Point story is the seed of Carson's national security bona fides. Or so he may believe.

If you are able to stay awake through a Ben Carson speech or interview, you see a man who praises himself constantly, sort of a "bizarro world" Donald Trump. His bragging is about different things than Trump in that it doesn't involve money every five seconds, but this is a man with a big big ego. And never forget, God wants him to run for President, and no doubt, God wants HIM to wiin.

Carson is complaining vociferously that the media is being unfair to him, but I think the opposite has been true up until the past few days. The media has been almost deferential to Carson because he is a famous doctor. They will learn to look past that, I predict.

Let's pretend for a moment that everything you said about him trying to portray himself as being a former thug turned neurosurgeon is false. Let's say he was a nerd that grew up in the slums and worked his way out to be a very successful doctor, the point is that he made it out instead of trying to fit in and be confined to another cycle of poverty. I think there needs to be more stories with positive outcomes, rather than trying to denigrate someone for something that really can't be proven.

Gypsy
11-07-2015, 10:47 AM
He has and receives my endorsements and money. Although I'd personally love to see him in the VP slot. I think he'd do a champion job with domestic issues while the President focuses on this stagnant economy and the absolute mess abroad.

My apologies, I was mistaken. Kid Rock endorses him. Go Ben!

Mac-7
11-07-2015, 10:57 AM
IOW, he's campaigning.

Shame on Carson for trying to take Hillary's birthright away from her

Ransom
11-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Kid Rock from Detroit. Like Carson. Involved with the Detroit Community. Like Carson. Is smart enough.... like Carson.... to look past politics and realize Carson is a qualified, brilliant brain surgeon. Has an incredible rags to riches story. And makes Hillary look like the corrupt incompetent fool she's always been. And I think that comparison between someone who has held the brain of a child in his hands to cackling Hillary Clinton scares the living beJesus out of you leftists.

Mark III
11-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Kid Rock from Detroit. Like Carson. Involved with the Detroit Community. Like Carson. Is smart enough.... like Carson.... to look past politics and realize Carson is a qualified, brilliant brain surgeon. Has an incredible rags to riches story. And makes Hillary look like the corrupt incompetent fool she's always been. And I think that comparison between someone who has held the brain of a child in his hands to cackling Hillary Clinton scares the living beJesus out of you leftists.

It is pretty amazing how the right can ignore all the idiotic things this man says and focus just on his disapproval of 'political correctness', as if being anti-p.c. is the major qualification to lead the most powerful nation in world history. But then , right wing Republicans are amazing "thinkers".

We will likely have Ben Carson to kick around for another three or four months, and he will no doubt add to his already long list of ridiculous pronouncements, and the right wing base will pretend to be deaf and dumb to it.

Peter1469
11-07-2015, 11:06 AM
My apologies, I was mistaken. Kid Rock endorses him. Go Ben!

Kid Rock. America's poet laureate!

Chris
11-07-2015, 11:08 AM
It is pretty amazing how the right can ignore all the idiotic things this man says and focus just on his disapproval of 'political correctness', as if being anti-p.c. is the major qualification to lead the most powerful nation in world history. But then , right wing Republicans are amazing "thinkers".

We will likely have Ben Carson to kick around for another three or four months, and he will no doubt add to his already long list of ridiculous pronouncements, and the right wing base will pretend to be deaf and dumb to it.

I remember reading many things just like that about Obama years ago.

You're partisan complaints are rather meaningless inasmuch as they can be applied to any candidate for any office.

Cigar
11-07-2015, 07:31 PM
He'll never be Presdent of the United States, time to move on.

birddog
11-07-2015, 08:02 PM
He'll never be Presdent of the United States, time to move on.

RACIST! :grin:

Common
11-07-2015, 08:06 PM
I remember reading many things just like that about Obama years ago.

You're partisan complaints are rather meaningless inasmuch as they can be applied to any candidate for any office.

You can apply all the same complaints to most any candidate

Matty
11-07-2015, 08:13 PM

Is is it as amazing as the way you ignore Clinton, Obama, Reid, Pelosi lies? Are you as tone deaf and dumb as you claim right wing is ?

Safety
11-07-2015, 08:15 PM
That appeal to hypocrisy seems to be spreading...

Mark III
11-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Is is it as amazing as the way you ignore Clinton, Obama, Reid, Pelosi lies? Are you as tone deaf and dumb as you claim right wing is ?

Actually, ol Ben is a unique brand of nutjob.

Peter1469
11-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Is he a criminal like Hillary?

Captain Obvious
11-07-2015, 09:03 PM

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/0/0/2/2/3/6/3/7/5/5356159280_hillary_clinton.jpeg

Tahuyaman
11-07-2015, 09:15 PM

If someone disagrees with you, you call them a nut job.

TrueBlue
11-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Let's pretend for a moment that everything you said about him trying to portray himself as being a former thug turned neurosurgeon is false. Let's say he was a nerd that grew up in the slums and worked his way out to be a very successful doctor, the point is that he made it out instead of trying to fit in and be confined to another cycle of poverty. I think there needs to be more stories with positive outcomes, rather than trying to denigrate someone for something that really can't be proven.
His book says otherwise.

hanger4
11-07-2015, 09:58 PM
His book says otherwise.

What part of Safety's first sentence; "Let's pretend for a moment" did you miss ??

Subdermal
11-07-2015, 10:20 PM
You are assuming he is entirely truthful about these incidents, which is a risky bet.

You cannot be serious. The Hillary supporter questions Carson's honesty. That's amazing.

Philly
11-08-2015, 02:46 AM
Ben Carson was an over-aggressive dick when he was a teenage boy. Ok. I grew up in white suburbia and this is a familiar story. I don't see how it relates to being "authentic" as a black man. It's just a common part of adolescence.

Cigar
11-08-2015, 05:22 PM
RACIST! :grin:

I haven't seen his birth certificate yet, have you? :grin:

Cigar
11-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Ben Carson was an over-aggressive dick when he was a teenage boy. Ok. I grew up in white suburbia and this is a familiar story. I don't see how it relates to being "authentic" as a black man. It's just a common part of adolescence.

Yea ... now it is ... :laugh: