PDA

View Full Version : Attack the black conservative

Peter1469
11-08-2015, 04:58 AM
Attack the black conservative: Politico admits fabrication of story (http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/06/politico-admits-fabricating-a-hit-piece-on-ben-carson/).

I have long said that journalism in America is dead. It is also corrupt to the core.

Politico‘s Kyle Cheney admitted that he fabricated a negative story about Ben Carson. At least, according to his own standards, he admitted the grievous journalistic sin.

In a story published early on Friday, Politico’s Kyle Cheney authored a piece headlined (https://www.scribd.com/doc/288785009/Ben-Carson-Admits-Fabricating-West-Point-Scholarship-POLITICO) “Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship” with a subhed “Carson’s campaign on Friday conceded that a central point in his inspirational personal story did not occur as he previously described.”

There were at least five major problems with the story:

The headline was completely false
The subhed was also completely false
The opening paragraph was false false false
The substance of the piece was missing key exonerating information
The article demonstrated confusion about service academy admissions and benefits
But other than that, A+++ work, Kyle Cheney and Politico.

Peter1469
11-08-2015, 05:04 AM
CNN explains where Politico went wrong (http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/06/media/ben-carson-politico-west-point/) with their hit piece on the black conservative.

On Friday, Politico reported (http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ben-carson-west-point-215598) that Carson had "fabricated" his application and acceptance into West Point, and that his campaign had acknowledged as much in an interview.

That story was initially headlined "EXCLUSIVE: Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship." It seemed like the sort of story that had the potential to ruin Carson's ambitions for the presidency.
But the Politico story was not accurate on some key points.

Matty
11-08-2015, 05:14 AM
very interesting. We have lost a great American tradition called the press and honest to god journalism. All we have left is dirty little internet bloggers. It's a shame. Last night I mentioned Harry Reid bald faced lying on the Senate floor about another man and the left got indignant and went right back to attacking Ben Carson for no other reason than that he is a black conservative.

AeonPax
11-08-2015, 05:55 AM
`
Unless people have been living under rocks these last decades, we have seen the corporately controlled MSM transform journalism into a profit center and a means to control what news is being shown to the American public and how it is done. What has suffered is journalistic integrity. While news reporting has always been slanted, one need look no further than checking out the Hearst and Pulitzer news empires, there was still an inherent trust for journalists leading up to the days of Walter Cronkite, but those days are long gone.

Online news however gave readers an alternative to the MSM's profit seeking paradigm, but now that is being eroded. Note well this statement made by Politico as to why their service was founded;
`

"We created POLITICO with a simple promise: to prove there's a robust and profitable future for tough, fair and fun coverage of politics and government..."(source (http://www.politico.com/about/our-story))

`

While there are still many online news services that depend on contributions to sustain themselves, not so with Politico. They are in competition with the corporation's for viewers, which equates to advertising revenue. The pressure is high and what gets sacrificed first is the painstaking journalistic work of vetting and re-checking the validity of sources and information. Thus, you get incidences like this Carson debacle which just kicked Politico square in the face. The Rolling Stones magazine suffered from the same kind of incident when reporting "A Rape on Campus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Rape_on_Campus)".

zelmo1234
11-08-2015, 06:06 AM
By Friday Afternoon, the Carson Camp had pretty well destroyed this idea. But that did not stop the press.

Certainly, there can be no denying that because of Dr. Carson Conservative leanings, he is despised by the MSM, and the left.

Any breaking from the mold that government dependency is the way to live if you are a minority is not tolerated by the left.

GrassrootsConservative
11-08-2015, 07:46 AM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13383&stc=1

Kurmugeon
11-08-2015, 07:51 AM
Those in control think they can beat Trump, but not Carson, would be my guess.

So, marching orders are issued to the MSM to destroy.

Like Lois Lerner, all involved with get huge bonuses and guarantees of immunity.

First they tell U.S. real butter is bad for your heart, now they tell you its better.

I guess the dairy farms paid their political dues.

You cannot KNOW anything ever again.

Perhaps the only thing you can do, is vote out all incumbents, always, to minimize concentration of power.

I'd add, never vote for, and/or vote out anyone trying to sell AA or AGW. That's a no brainer.

-

GrassrootsConservative
11-08-2015, 07:55 AM

So, marching orders are issued to the MSM to destroy.

Like Lois Lerner, all involved with get huge bonuses and guarantees of immunity.

-

The fact of the matter is everyone voted for Obama based solely on his skin color (we know this because there was very little information about him at the time, but everyone was saying "we need a black president" and "vote Obama, he black") so America would be hypocrites not to vote for the next black guy even though this one was an objective failure. You can't look at only skin color for one guy and not the next. Me, I don't look at skin color, but apparently it's a huge issue for the rest of the nation.

Kurmugeon
11-08-2015, 08:03 AM
The fact of the matter is everyone voted for Obama based solely on his skin color (we know this because there was very little information about him at the time, but everyone was saying "we need a black president" and "vote Obama, he black") so America would be hypocrites not to vote for the next black guy even though this one was an objective failure. You can't look at only skin color for one guy and not the next. Me, I don't look at skin color, but apparently it's a huge issue for the rest of the nation.

But we KNEW about Obama's connections to Rev. Wright, and could have watched the videos of those sermons, BEFORE we elected him into the Senate, much less the Dem Candidate for 2008.

We KNEW about Obama's connections to Bill Ayers, and other radicals.

Forget the damn paint job, there was plenty of info on what Obama was long before he won his first senate seat.

Obama's Race is what kept him from being Impeached a dozen times, when he SHOULD HAVE BEEN!

And the constant throughout it all, the Democratic Party.

The only hope middle class and lower Americans have, is to turn forever from the Democratic Party. Let it DIE completely. Send that message.

Then, foster the TEA Patriots until they split away from the Establishment Republicans, and pit those two New major parties against each other in a race to minimize government.

It will probably fail. But it is the only chance we've got.

-

Safety
11-08-2015, 08:22 AM

:rofl:

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/49823-Some-black-bitch-called-me-annoying-at-work?highlight=black+bitch

GrassrootsConservative
11-08-2015, 09:07 AM

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/49823-Some-black-bitch-called-me-annoying-at-work?highlight=black+bitch

what's funny?

Adelaide
11-08-2015, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure how the original author thought he would get away with this. It smacks more of stupidity and a rush to get a story than flat out bias in the media. I think that's a common problem across all media outlets - the frenzied rush in which they try to come out with stories, skipping steps, and providing information that ends up being false or completely fabricated. Think back to the Boston Marathon where every news outlet was reporting hundred of deaths for the first 4 hours. They had no information or supporting evidence for their "reporting" but they went ahead and aired all sorts of incorrect information anyways. It feels a lot like they're in a competition with each other to get "the" story the quickest... even if it means fabricating it, rather than reporting with honesty. If they don't get there first, another media outlet will and will get all of the attention/ratings.

It's also getting harder to lie. 15 years ago fact checking would have been a lot harder for people to do. But we live in age where Brian Williams' story can be debunked and an attack piece on a Conservative can be quickly debunked as fabricated.

Philly
11-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Obama's Race is what kept him from being Impeached a dozen times, when he SHOULD HAVE BEEN!
All this whining about race. Why didn't the GOP pull themselves up by their boot straps, overcome the odds, and impeach him?

GrassrootsConservative
11-08-2015, 10:36 AM
All this whining about race. Why didn't the GOP pull themselves up by their boot straps, overcome the odds, and impeach him?

why don't blacks do the same thing instead of crying tears over "the white man" oppressing them?

Chris
11-08-2015, 10:45 AM
`
Unless people have been living under rocks these last decades, we have seen the corporately controlled MSM transform journalism into a profit center and a means to control what news is being shown to the American public and how it is done. What has suffered is journalistic integrity. While news reporting has always been slanted, one need look no further than checking out the Hearst and Pulitzer news empires, there was still an inherent trust for journalists leading up to the days of Walter Cronkite, but those days are long gone.

Online news however gave readers an alternative to the MSM's profit seeking paradigm, but now that is being eroded. Note well this statement made by Politico as to why their service was founded;
`

"We created POLITICO with a simple promise: to prove there's a robust and profitable future for tough, fair and fun coverage of politics and government..."(source (http://www.politico.com/about/our-story))

`

While there are still many online news services that depend on contributions to sustain themselves, not so with Politico. They are in competition with the corporation's for viewers, which equates to advertising revenue. The pressure is high and what gets sacrificed first is the painstaking journalistic work of vetting and re-checking the validity of sources and information. Thus, you get incidences like this Carson debacle which just kicked Politico square in the face. The Rolling Stones magazine suffered from the same kind of incident when reporting "A Rape on Campus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Rape_on_Campus)".

News has always been a business. The problem with the news media today is they have sold out as the propaganda ministries of government and political parties.

Tahuyaman
11-08-2015, 11:14 AM

So, marching orders are issued to the MSM to destroy....

-

Neither Trump or Carson will win the nomination, but it's not the media's job to determine that. This is something they don't seem to understand.

Kurmugeon
11-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Neither Trump or Carson will win the nomination, but it's not the media's job to determine that. This is something they don't seem to understand.

Oh? So who will win the nomination?

Mark III
11-08-2015, 12:26 PM
What I am about to say may be too complicated for some of you, but attention to detail is never a lost cause.

Politico Admits Fabricating A Hit Piece On Ben Carson (http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/06/politico-admits-fabricating-a-hit-piece-on-ben-carson/)

Politico's editorial staff on Friday conceded that entire basis of attack on Carson was invented out of whole cloth.
NOVEMBER 6, 2015 By Mollie Hemingway (http://thefederalist.com/author/mzhemingway/)
Politico‘s Kyle Cheney admitted that he fabricated a negative story about Ben Carson. At least, according to his own standards, he admitted the grievous journalistic sin.
In a story published early on Friday, Politico’s Kyle Cheney authored a piece headlined (https://www.scribd.com/doc/288785009/Ben-Carson-Admits-Fabricating-West-Point-Scholarship-POLITICO) “Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship” with a subhed “Carson’s campaign on Friday conceded that a central point in his inspirational personal story did not occur as he previously described.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above is from the article linked in the OP, from the conservative website The Federalist. If you don't read it carefully, or if you simply believe it at face value, it does appear to indicate that the Politico writer admitted fabricating the story about Carson and West Point. But that did not happen , as the writer of the article knows. Neither Politico, nor the writer "admitted that he fabricated a negative story about Ben Carson."

So what is going on with the Federalist story ? Read this sentence from the article carefully and you will see.

"At least, according to his own standards, he admitted the grievous journalistic sin".

The Federalist article is a sort of satire on what they claim was sloppy reporting by Politico, so they returned the favor by stating that Politico had admitted fabricating something.

If anyone thinks I am wrong, please show me something FROM POLITICO, not the Federalist, that says they admit to fabricating.

Mark III
11-08-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure how the original author thought he would get away with this. It smacks more of stupidity and a rush to get a story than flat out bias in the media. I think that's a common problem across all media outlets - the frenzied rush in which they try to come out with stories, skipping steps, and providing information that ends up being false or completely fabricated. Think back to the Boston Marathon where every news outlet was reporting hundred of deaths for the first 4 hours. They had no information or supporting evidence for their "reporting" but they went ahead and aired all sorts of incorrect information anyways. It feels a lot like they're in a competition with each other to get "the" story the quickest... even if it means fabricating it, rather than reporting with honesty. If they don't get there first, another media outlet will and will get all of the attention/ratings.

It's also getting harder to lie. 15 years ago fact checking would have been a lot harder for people to do. But we live in age where Brian Williams' story can be debunked and an attack piece on a Conservative can be quickly debunked as fabricated.

The Federalist story is itself a lie, albeit one that they are making for satirical purposes. Yet, as we see here, many people miss the satire, and believe it. This is what modern media is giving us. Politico did not admit fabricating the story, as the headline suggests it did. The headline, in that sense , is a hoax.

Many many people online are not discriminating in what they read for comprehension.

Gypsy
11-08-2015, 12:58 PM
We will never come together as a nation as long as we allow the politicians, special interest groups, corporations and extremists on both sides of the aisle to divide us. We are stupid people using stupid words like Cons and libtards, calling our leaders and potential leaders Shrub, Obummer and Hilldabeast. It's okay to disagree but we are letting differences ruin us. We are better than this, when are we going to start acting like it?

Chris
11-08-2015, 01:03 PM
The Federalist story is itself a lie, albeit one that they are making for satirical purposes. Yet, as we see here, many people miss the satire, and believe it. This is what modern media is giving us. Politico did not admit fabricating the story, as the headline suggests it did. The headline, in that sense , is a hoax.

Many many people online are not discriminating in what they read for comprehension.

Like yourself and how Carson decorates?

Chris
11-08-2015, 01:06 PM
The Federalist story is itself a lie, albeit one that they are making for satirical purposes. ...

Dead wrong. From http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/06/politico-admits-fabricating-a-hit-piece-on-ben-carson/

Politico stealthily edited the inflammatory headline and lede, after the damage was done. They made changes without adding a note about what was corrected. They didn’t update the piece or add an editor’s note. The new headline is very much toned down to “Exclusive: Carson claimed West Point ‘scholarship’ but never applied.” This is a claim not exclusive to Politico and not newsworthy in the least. Carson himself broke this news 23 years ago when he said he was offered a scholarship to West Point but never applied. The cleaned-up story still says that Carson “conceded that he never applied nor was granted admission to West Point.” To concede is to admit that something is true. But, again, Carson himself made this claim more than two decades ago, so he’s not conceding the point to Kyle Cheney or Politico simply because Kyle Cheney and Politico misread him.

That's not satire.

Mark III
11-08-2015, 01:15 PM
Dead wrong. From http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/06/politico-admits-fabricating-a-hit-piece-on-ben-carson/

That's not satire.

I am going to say this as plain as possible to you because you seem to have a comprehension problem.

This is the headline from the Federalist article

Politico Admits Fabricating A Hit Piece On Ben Carson (http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/06/politico-admits-fabricating-a-hit-piece-on-ben-carson/)Politico's editorial staff on Friday conceded that entire basis of attack on Carson was invented out of whole cloth.

THAT DID NOT HAPPEN. Politico did not admit fabricating a hit piece on Ben Carson. The Politico writer did not admit fabricating a story. Those admissions DID NOT occur. Then why is it a headline in the Federalist ? THAT is the satire. They are mocking what they say was the fabrication of Politico by fabricating a headline of their own about Politico. That is what the sentence "by his own standards" in the Federalist text is referring to. They say, according to the writer's "own standards" , he fabricated , and they take the liberty of pointing that out in the headline.

Politico never said they had fabricated the story. That is a lie.

Mark III
11-08-2015, 01:17 PM
I know what I am doing on these sites. I read for comprehension, not to have a space to dump one liners. Some of the comments on these threads are embarrassing in their utter disdain for accuracy.

Peter1469
11-08-2015, 01:19 PM
Admit it. You will not be satisfied until Carson and all prominent minorities are on the liberal plantation.

Mark III
11-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Chris point out to me in this paragraph, where I am wrong, or where there is anything that actually indicates that Politico admitted to fabricating the story ?

Dead wrong. From http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/06/...on-ben-carson/ (http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/06/politico-admits-fabricating-a-hit-piece-on-ben-carson/)

Politico stealthily edited the inflammatory headline and lede, after the damage was done. They made changes without adding a note about what was corrected. They didn’t update the piece or add an editor’s note. The new headline is very much toned down to “Exclusive: Carson claimed West Point ‘scholarship’ but never applied.” This is a claim not exclusive to Politico and not newsworthy in the least. Carson himself broke this news 23 years ago when he said he was offered a scholarship to West Point but never applied. The cleaned-up story still says that Carson “conceded that he never applied nor was granted admission to West Point.” To concede is to admit that something is true. But, again, Carson himself made this claim more than two decades ago, so he’s not conceding the point to Kyle Cheney or Politico simply because Kyle Cheney and Politico misread him.

It is not there. The Federalist story is a combination of criticizing Politico and pranking it. That is what it is. If you think I am wrong, then show me something FROM POLITICO that says they admit to fabricating the story out of whole cloth.

Peter1469
11-08-2015, 01:23 PM
lol

JDubya
11-08-2015, 01:47 PM
The fact of the matter is everyone voted for Obama based solely on his skin color (we know this because there was very little information about him at the time, but everyone was saying "we need a black president" and "vote Obama, he black") so America would be hypocrites not to vote for the next black guy even though this one was an objective failure. You can't look at only skin color for one guy and not the next.

I voted for Obama (twice)... because a) he is a Democrat and b) Republicans suck at leadership and don't give two shits about the working and middle class.

He could have been GREEN for all I cared.

And that canard about him being a failure is just more of the same old partisan right-wing hype that this thread is crying about coming from the MSM.

Me, I don't look at skin color, but apparently it's a huge issue for the rest of the nation.

Said the flaming hypocrite as he totally and completely contradicted the words he had just written.

Puh-lease.

Chris
11-08-2015, 02:06 PM
I know what I am doing on these sites. I read for comprehension, not to have a space to dump one liners. Some of the comments on these threads are embarrassing in their utter disdain for accuracy.

Your own.

Chris
11-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Chris point out to me in this paragraph, where I am wrong, or where there is anything that actually indicates that Politico admitted to fabricating the story ?

Dead wrong. From http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/06/...on-ben-carson/ (http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/06/politico-admits-fabricating-a-hit-piece-on-ben-carson/)

It is not there. The Federalist story is a combination of criticizing Politico and pranking it. That is what it is. If you think I am wrong, then show me something FROM POLITICO that says they admit to fabricating the story out of whole cloth.

Politico retracted it's original story title and lede. That's an admission.

The Federalist is not satire. It pranks nothing.

Cigar
11-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Somewhere, there's a Barack Obama laughing his azz off at Cons complaining about attacks on a Black Man. :laugh:

Chris
11-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Somewhere, there's a Barack Obama laughing his azz off at Cons complaining about attacks on a Black Man. :laugh:

You'd think he'd sympathize. It could be his son, or brother.

Matty
11-08-2015, 05:54 PM

By a different mother.

Safety
11-08-2015, 06:12 PM

He probably would let them thicken their skin a little bit, for nobody seems to remember any speaking up for him.

Peter1469
11-08-2015, 06:16 PM
He probably would let them thicken their skin a little bit, for nobody seems to remember any speaking up for him.

It is the "news" that gives black liberals a pass and crucifies black conservatives.

Safety
11-08-2015, 06:21 PM
It is the "news" that gives black liberals a pass and crucifies black conservatives.

So internet forums seek to reverse that.

Peter1469
11-08-2015, 06:22 PM
So internet forums seek to reverse that.

Or point it out.

Safety
11-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Or point it out.

All depends on which tint glasses one is wearing at the time.

Chris
11-08-2015, 06:37 PM
All depends on which tint glasses one is wearing at the time.

Or whose ox is gored.

hanger4
11-08-2015, 06:55 PM

Question Mark III . Why did Politico edit their headline ?? Why didn't they note what was corrected ?? Why didn’t they update the piece ?? If you or Politico can answer those questions y'all might have a point cept about the satire silliness.

hanger4
11-08-2015, 07:05 PM
BTW Mark for your benefit; ....... fabricate --- to invent or concoct (something), typically with deceitful intent.

Peter1469
11-08-2015, 07:12 PM
The "news" lost objectivity a long time ago. But this was way over the top. The scary part is that some people don't understand that what Politico did was utterly corrupt and wrong.

Matty
11-08-2015, 07:18 PM
The "news" lost objectivity a long time ago. But this was way over the top. The scary part is that some people don't understand that what Politico did was utterly corrupt and wrong.

It's really not any different than what was done to Palin and others. The left gets it and they love doing it. That's why I say they are amoral.

Mister D
11-08-2015, 07:21 PM

We have the media we deserve.

Chris
11-08-2015, 07:22 PM

It amazes me that some think The Federalist report on it was parody. The cognitive dissonance there is deafening.

jimmyz
11-08-2015, 07:24 PM

You didn't address the fabrication. Is it that you can't? You can attack a fellow member but what about the other issue. You can call uncle if you're intellectually honest. No shame in it IMO.

Safety
11-08-2015, 07:30 PM
You didn't address the fabrication. Is it that you can't? You can attack a fellow member but what about the other issue. You can call uncle if you're intellectually honest. No shame in it IMO.

Seriously, what is it that has a burr in your ass?

How on this earth was it an attack?

jimmyz
11-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Seriously, what is it that has a burr in your ass?

How on this earth was it an attack?

Can't you just admit that the fraud has been exposed?

Safety
11-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Can't you just admit that the fraud has been exposed?

That seems to be pretty obvious from the OP.

jimmyz
11-08-2015, 07:55 PM
That seems to be pretty obvious from the OP.

Trumpet it then! Oh never mind. We have to keep these defeats party centric to the detriment of honest political debate in the face of the electorate.

Tahuyaman
11-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Oh? So who will win the nomination?

I don't know. I know it won't be Trump or Carson.

birddog
11-08-2015, 09:26 PM
This next debate may be the most important as far as establishing who the most likely nominees are.

Mark III
11-08-2015, 09:33 PM
It amazes me that some think The Federalist report on it was parody. The cognitive dissonance there is deafening.

Why is the Politico report a "fabrication" Chris, and moreso, why did the Federalist claim that Politico had admitted to a fabrication? When you can read the words in the Federalist story and apply them to these two questions you will be getting close to the truth. I'm not sure you can do that though.

Mark III
11-08-2015, 09:38 PM
Question @Mark III (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1742) . Why did Politico edit their headline ?? Why didn't they note what was corrected ?? Why didn’t they update the piece ?? If you or Politico can answer those questions y'all might have a point cept about the satire silliness.

If you think Politico admitted fabricating the story "out of whole cloth" , just show me the web page, areticle, email, tweet, FB page, or telegram or carrier pigeon message where they make this admission.

There is no such admission. The Federalist took it upon themselves to assert this admission BECAUSE they believe that Politico asserted an admission by Carson that did not exist. I am not going to explain this 50 times to you guys.

hanger4
11-08-2015, 09:42 PM
If you think Politico admitted fabricating the story "out of whole cloth" , just show me the web page, areticle, email, tweet, FB page, or telegram or carrier pigeon message where they make this admission.

There is no such admission. The Federalist took it upon themselves to assert this admission BECAUSE they believe that Politico asserted an admission by Carson that did not exist. I am not going to explain this 50 times to you guys.
Again Mark III .Why did Politico edit their headline ?? Why didn't they note what was corrected ?? Why didn’t they update the piece ??

hanger4
11-08-2015, 09:48 PM

Did Politico make a mistake ?? Didn't they vet their piece ?? What made them post something untrue ?? Did they knowingly post the untruth ??

Cigar
11-08-2015, 09:48 PM

Somehow I can't imagine his son or brother being back-2-black loser Republicans. :laugh:

Maybe you should Call Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson for help. :grin:

hanger4
11-08-2015, 09:56 PM

When Politico changed their headline was the admission of fabrication. Why is that so hard.to understand. Ya know you could just call it an out right lie. Would that be easier to understand ??

Tahuyaman
11-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Again @Mark III (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1742) .Why did Politico edit their headline ?? Why didn't they note what was corrected ?? Why didn’t they update the piece ??

Give him a chance to figure out an excuse.