PDA

View Full Version : Keyless vehicles blamed for deaths

Gypsy
11-12-2015, 06:06 PM
9 Investigates: Keyless vehicles blamed for deathsPeople have died from carbon monoxide poisoningCHARLOTTE, N.C. -- More new vehicles are being built with keyless ignitions. Push a button and they start, nice and easy. But it can be easy to forget that the vehicle is on, even in your garage, and that can be deadly.People have driven into their garages, gotten out of their vehicles, forgotten that the engines were still running and died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Ray Harrington was a softball coach, airman, police officer and college professor at Pfeiffer University in Stanly County. In 2012, he came home one day, parked in the garage of his Davidson townhouse, walked inside, went to sleep and never woke up.

Harrington's car had a keyless ignition, and apparently he left it running in the garage by accident and died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
More: http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/special-reports/9-investigates-keyless-vehicles-blamed-deaths/npLKR/

Unfortunately this could easily happen to anyone.

donttread
11-12-2015, 06:09 PM
9 Investigates: Keyless vehicles blamed for deaths

People have died from carbon monoxide poisoning

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- More new vehicles are being built with keyless ignitions. Push a button and they start, nice and easy. But it can be easy to forget that the vehicle is on, even in your garage, and that can be deadly.People have driven into their garages, gotten out of their vehicles, forgotten that the engines were still running and died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Ray Harrington was a softball coach, airman, police officer and college professor at Pfeiffer University in Stanly County. In 2012, he came home one day, parked in the garage of his Davidson townhouse, walked inside, went to sleep and never woke up.

Harrington's car had a keyless ignition, and apparently he left it running in the garage by accident and died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
More: http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/special-reports/9-investigates-keyless-vehicles-blamed-deaths/npLKR/

Good grief? ?

Gypsy
11-12-2015, 06:26 PM
When I lived in Charlotte full time, there was a story about a man that came home drunk one night.He parked his car in the underground garage, under his condo. He fell asleep/passed out and had left the engine running. By morning not only was he dead but so were the neighbors to the left and right of him.

People could come home drunk, a parent could be distracted and this could happen. My aunt's car is so quiet you can't hear it running and she has a keyless ignition .There needs to be a seat sensor that sounds an alarm when you get out of the car to alert you.

del
11-12-2015, 06:31 PM
my car is keyless and if i get out with the engine running it starts to beep

Peter1469
11-12-2015, 08:40 PM
What is wrong with the Dim removing themselves from the gene pool. They should get a standing applause.

Dr. Who
11-12-2015, 08:50 PM
9 Investigates: Keyless vehicles blamed for deaths

People have died from carbon monoxide poisoning

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- More new vehicles are being built with keyless ignitions. Push a button and they start, nice and easy. But it can be easy to forget that the vehicle is on, even in your garage, and that can be deadly.People have driven into their garages, gotten out of their vehicles, forgotten that the engines were still running and died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

More:http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/special-reports/9-investigates-keyless-vehicles-blamed-deaths/npLKR/

That should be an easy computer fix. An alarm should go off after 10 minutes of idling. If someone doesn't turn the alarm off, the computer should just cut off the engine.

William
11-12-2015, 10:03 PM
My dad's BMW has keyless ignition, but it sounds an alarm and gives a flashing warning on the dash if the driver undoes his seat belt and opens the door. It also shuts down after a set time if there is no one in the car, and I'm not sure of the distance, but it shuts down if the key you keep in your pocket gets out of range. It is totally silent inside, but even though it is very quiet, you can tell it is running if you are inside a garage and standing right next to it - there's a little burble from the exhaust pipes.

I sort of agree with Peter - you have to be pretty thick, as well as deaf, to leave your car running in the garage. :wink:

Gypsy
11-12-2015, 10:20 PM
What is wrong with the Dim removing themselves from the gene pool. They should get a standing applause.

The problem is when you kill the neighbors too.

Tahuyaman
11-13-2015, 12:14 AM
The problem is when you kill the neighbors too.

Dont buy town houses or live in a duplex.

donttread
11-13-2015, 08:45 AM

Good point. On the other hand we are not yet so weak as a species ( getting there though) that we can't turn a key

nathanbforrest45
11-13-2015, 02:39 PM
If you outlaw cars only outlaws will drive cars.

donttread
11-13-2015, 03:52 PM

Ir if the control freaks really are about saving lives, injuries and dollars they would gladly drop the speed limit to 40 MPH

Don
11-13-2015, 04:06 PM
I think its a good idea to install carbon monoxide alarms in garages and in homes. They don't cost much. There are quite a few things that can emit harmful levels of carbon monoxide.

leekohler2
11-13-2015, 04:06 PM
Good point. On the other hand we are not yet so weak as a species ( getting there though) that we can't turn a key

I was going to say the same thing. What is the big deal with the push button start anyway? There's no real advantage to it.

leekohler2
11-13-2015, 04:09 PM

Ir if the control freaks really are about saving lives, injuries and dollars they would gladly drop the speed limit to 40 MPH

What are you even going on about? No one has suggested either thing. But hey, nothing more fun than thread-trolling is there?

Don
11-13-2015, 04:10 PM
I wonder what the stats are for cars with keys left on and poisoning people? Or how many people are injured or killed because people don't put their cars in "park" or set their emergency brakes?

Gypsy
11-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Sorry, I was just trying to warn people.

donttread
11-13-2015, 04:25 PM
I was going to say the same thing. What is the big deal with the push button start anyway? There's no real advantage to it.

Exactly , how lazy are we. I believe Studebaker did this 50 years ago and then it went away

leekohler2
11-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Sorry, I was just trying to warn people.No good deed goes unpunished in this forum.
Exactly , how lazy are we. I believe Studebaker did this 50 years ago and then it went awayI think it was done a few times, actually. I've had both, and I don't get it. Nothing was broke, so why try to fix it? Do you remember push button automatic transmissions in Chryslers?

William
11-13-2015, 06:39 PM

Lol, I understand what you are saying, but you could say "We are not yet so weak as a species that we can't turn a handle." Like they did on the really old vintage cars, and I still have to kick start my Motocross bike. But it's much easier to just push a big button, than to fiddle around with a key, and you can't 'hot wire' modern cars with proximity start systems. Also you don't run the risk of kindly leaving your keys in the ignition for the neighbourhood car thief. :grin:

leekohler2
11-13-2015, 06:51 PM
Also you don't run the risk of kindly leaving your keys in the ignition for the neighbourhood car thief. :grin:

Nah, instead you just kill them by leaving the car on. :D

Don
11-13-2015, 07:16 PM
I'm sure they will add warning labels and alarms and whistles and auto cutoff devices after the lawsuits start pouring in. The government will add hundreds of pages of new regulations and spend tens of millions in the process. The law firm of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe will get rich.

Kurmugeon
11-14-2015, 01:27 AM
An Gas sensor on the intake which cuts off the engine at low oxy or high CO2 levels would be enough.

-