PDA

View Full Version : New Details on the GOP Plot to Obstruct Obama

Cigar
08-27-2012, 06:55 AM
The Party of No: New Details on the GOP Plot to Obstruct Obama
Shortly before 11 a.m., the AP reported that Boehner had urged Republicans to oppose the stimulus. Obama press secretary Robert Gibbs handed Obama a copy of the story in the Oval Office, just before he left for the Hill to make his case for the stimulus, an unprecedented visit to the opposition after just a week in office. “You know, we still thought this was on the level,” Gibbs says. Obama political aide David Axelrod says that after the president left, White House aides were buzzing about the insult. And they didn’t even know that Cantor had vowed to whip a unanimous vote—which, ultimately, he did.

“It was stunning that we’d set this up and before hearing from the President, they’d say they were going to oppose this,” Axelrod says. “Our feeling was, we were dealing with a potential disaster of epic proportions that demanded cooperation. If anything was a signal of what the next two years would be like, it was that.”

But that wasn’t the only signal. A few other examples:

Vice President Biden told me that during the transition, he was warned not to expect any bipartisan cooperation on major votes. “I spoke to seven different Republican senators who said: ‘Joe, I’m not going to be able to help you on anything,’” he recalled. His informants said McConnell had demanded unified resistance. “The way it was characterized to me was: ‘For the next two years, we can’t let you succeed in anything. That’s our ticket to coming back,’” Biden said. The vice president said he hasn’t even told Obama who his sources were, but Bob Bennett of Utah and Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania both confirmed they had conversations with Biden along those lines.

http://swampland.time.com/2012/08/23/the-party-of-no-new-details-on-the-gop-plot-to-obstruct-obama/#ixzz24R8XIAET

God Bless America

Chris
08-27-2012, 07:00 AM
Obstructing Obama is a good thing!

As for bipartisanship, I heard Obama has promised to try that if re-elected.

Peter1469
08-27-2012, 07:07 AM
Had they blocked the stimulus we would be in better shape today.

Cigar
08-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Here's the story of bipartisanship since the election. President Obama asked the House and Senate Republican leaders, John Boehner and Mitch McConnell, to the White House on Nov. 18 to talk through a compromise on the Bush tax cuts and other pressing agenda items. Two days before the meeting, McConnell and Boehner said they couldn't make it because of "scheduling conflicts." They asked (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/45257.html) for a two-week delay. The White House agreed.

The night before the meeting, White House officials capitulated on a longtime GOP demand and froze pay for federal workers. They did not do this in consultation with the GOP, which blunted its worth as a token of bipartisan good faith. But most Republicans nevertheless understood it as a nod to their priorities and momentum. "The President has done the right thing today by taking steps to check the explosive growth of government," said (http://www.facebook.com/notes/paul-ryan/ryan-reiterates-support-for-federal-worker-pay-freeze-calls-for-additional-actio/10150095205312448) Rep. Paul Ryan, who is set to chair the House Budget Committee. "This is the kind of cooperation we were hoping for when we advanced this proposal last May, and we’re glad to see the President embrace this spending cut proposed by House Republicans."

The morning of the meeting, Boehner and McConnell did not respond with the kind of cooperation the White House was hoping for. Instead, they published (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/29/AR2010112904814.html) a joint op-ed in The Washington Post. "We made a pledge to America to cut spending, rein in government, and permanently extend the current tax rates so small-business owners won't get hit with a massive tax hike at the end of December," they said. "That's what Americans want. And that's the message Republicans will bring to the meeting today." So much for compromise.

The meeting didn't end with an agreement on the tax cuts, but it did end with a process to work toward an agreement: The White House would dispatch Office of Management and Budget Director Jack Lew and Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner to negotiate with two congressional Republicans and two congressional Democrats until all sides settled on a deal. The process seemed to be moving forward.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/12/republicans_give_their_definit.html

Cigar
08-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Had they blocked the stimulus we would be in better shape today.

Which Stimulus(s)?

Bush or Obama stimulus?

Mainecoons
08-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Both.

Peter1469
08-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Which Stimulus(s)?

Bush or Obama stimulus?

All of them. Including the ones done by the Federal Reserve that the MSM doesn't report on.

Peter1469
08-27-2012, 07:35 AM
http://www.thestreet.com/story/11665082/1/iceland-was-right-we-were-wrong-the-imf.html

Now in what may be the greatest economic "mea culpa" in history, we have the media (http://thepoliticalforums.com/) admitting that this government/banking/propaganda-machine troika has been wrong all along. They have been forced to acknowledge that Iceland's approach to economic triage was the correct approach right from the beginning.

What was Iceland's approach? To do the exact opposite of everything the bankers running our own economies told us to do. The bankers (naturally) told us that we needed to bail out the criminal Big Banks, at taxpayer expense (they were Too Big To Fail (http://www.bullionbullscanada.com/us-commentary/5581-why-too-big-to-fail-too-big-to-exist)). Iceland gave the banksters nothing.

wingrider
08-27-2012, 07:57 AM
wait .. how old is this ..? gibbs is not the press sectretary anymore.. carney is/

Cigar
08-27-2012, 08:07 AM
All of them. Including the ones done by the Federal Reserve that the MSM doesn't report on.

Did you get a Check from Bush or Obama?

wingrider
08-27-2012, 08:08 AM
neither.. I got mine from the treasury dept //

patrickt
08-27-2012, 08:12 AM
It looks like Cigar supports President Obama's move to become a dictator. You know, ruling without Congress.

wingrider
08-27-2012, 08:20 AM
It looks like Cigar supports President Obama's move to become a dictator. You know, ruling without Congress.

yep.. You know there is an old saying that goes.

" be careful what you wish for... You might get it"

Cigar
08-27-2012, 08:35 AM
neither.. I got mine from the treasury dept //

Ok ... yes ... the Treasury just indiscriminately decides to write check to you.

wingrider
08-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Ok ... yes ... the Treasury just indiscriminately decides to write check to you.
yes I normally get one every year,, with the exception of this year when I had to pay more in.. see obama really screwed the pooch.. I went from getting a refund for over payment .. to having to pay even more.. he is one greedy SOB

Peter1469
08-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Yes. Put it in the bank. A small payback for the taxes I pay.

JohnAdams
08-27-2012, 12:16 PM

I am among the first to admit that there are many many many things one can legitimately criticize this President over/for.

But in this case, when it comes to the issue of "ruling without Congress", one is all fairness must point out that this situation is not one of Obama's making, nor is it one which he bears sole responsibility for either.

Not only are we ourselves partially to blame for that, given we the people are directly responsible for the election and re-election of these careerist politicians who go to Washington to line their pockets and that of their cronies.

But the Congress itself is also just as much to blame for that.

Really it's a little unfair to point the finger at Obama and say "dictator" when the Congress steadfastly refuses to carry out the wish's of the people, refusing to uphold and defend Constitutional governance because it's far more politically expedient for members of Congress to sit back, and allow the Constitutional authority of the Congress to be abrogated by the President.

Cigar
08-27-2012, 12:19 PM
yes I normally get one every year,, with the exception of this year when I had to pay more in.. see obama really screwed the pooch.. I went from getting a refund for over payment .. to having to pay even more.. he is one greedy SOB

What aprt of indiscriminately don't you understand ...

If you are owed money from Taxes taken, one would expect you to get a return ... it's not indiscriminately given to you.

If you're playing stupid ... congratulations ... you've convinced me, you can stop playing the part and just be yourself now.

URF8
08-27-2012, 12:31 PM
If Obama is reelected it will be necessary to double down on obstruction. Maintaining political paralysis will be crucial.

Cigar
08-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks for proving a long standing point I made years ago.

{//archived/}