PDA

View Full Version : tPF Political hack

Captain Obvious
11-13-2015, 07:47 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_hack

A political hack is a negative term ascribed to a person who is part of the political party apparatus, but whose intentions are more aligned with victory than personal conviction.

Look familiar? If so, then discuss.

I remembered the prefix, hoo-hah!

Peter1469
11-13-2015, 08:14 PM
I would use the term to describe normal citizens or even reporters who support their political team with no critical thinking.

Actual political advisers have a job to do.

Private Pickle
11-13-2015, 08:15 PM
I try not to be.

Captain Obvious
11-13-2015, 08:19 PM
It's a fair point that I'm hoping gets some recognition here because I think this phenomenon is one of the most critical problems that we have as a society.

The low information voter, the cheerleader. We see it constantly here and on other political forums and here people are more politically motivated to express opinions and the average voting schlep is content to post recipes and memes on Facebook, I think the mindset is not much different where their political motivations are based on the color of their teams jersey.

How is an effective "democracy" supposed to operate under these conditions? I really don't think this is a new phenomenon also, I tend to think we live much like most societies lived throughout the ages, only difference being the toys, conveniences, technologies are different now.

And the crux of the question is - the founding fathers weren't dummies, did they see this coming? Is this "democracy" really part of the master plan, where voters are harvested by the privileged and the establishment?

I tend to think so.

Private Pickle
11-13-2015, 08:26 PM
It's a fair point that I'm hoping gets some recognition here because I think this phenomenon is one of the most critical problems that we have as a society.

The low information voter, the cheerleader. We see it constantly here and on other political forums and here people are more politically motivated to express opinions and the average voting schlep is content to post recipes and memes on Facebook, I think the mindset is not much different where their political motivations are based on the color of their teams jersey.

How is an effective "democracy" supposed to operate under these conditions? I really don't think this is a new phenomenon also, I tend to think we live much like most societies lived throughout the ages, only difference being the toys, conveniences, technologies are different now.

And the crux of the question is - the founding fathers weren't dummies, did they see this coming? Is this "democracy" really part of the master plan, where voters are harvested by the privileged and the establishment?

I tend to think so.

Man to have 15 minutes with John Adams or Jefferson. I don't think they saw this coming but I think they foresaw a changing society and with that changing ideologies, religions, politics, etc. and crafted the Constitution to be consistent throughout those changes.

Peter1469
11-13-2015, 08:28 PM
The Founder's plan requires civic virtue. That has been lost.

Captain Obvious
11-13-2015, 08:39 PM
Man to have 15 minutes with John Adams or Jefferson. I don't think they saw this coming but I think they foresaw a changing society and with that changing ideologies, religions, politics, etc. and crafted the Constitution to be consistent throughout those changes.

The concept of the republic was to not have too much power placed into the hands of non-land owners so I think this issue was swirling around in their minds.

Green Arrow
11-13-2015, 08:42 PM

I tend to think so.

John Adams and Alexander Hamilton were two of the most prominent founding fathers and they certainly favored exactly that. I don't believe Washington, Jefferson, and Franklin favored it, but then again, does it matter who favored it? Adams and Hamilton did favor it and theirs are the two visions of America that have come to fruition. Virtually everything Adams and Hamilton wanted from our society - rule by the privileged few over the unprivileged many, a central bank (the Federal Reserve) controlling the economy, a strong and robust federal government that stamps out the independence of the states, strict control over speech, etc. - has come to pass.

Private Pickle
11-13-2015, 08:42 PM
The concept of the republic was to not have too much power placed into the hands of non-land owners so I think this issue was swirling around in their minds.

They came from England. It wasn't just on their mind, it was on the tip of their tongue as they spit at the Feudal system.

Private Pickle
11-13-2015, 08:44 PM
The Founder's plan requires civic virtue. That has been lost.

Just wait for the next terrorist attack or war....people go civic incredibly fast when their cable TV is threatened.

Chris
11-13-2015, 09:52 PM
To me a political hack is one who takes positions on issue without principle. Ask them to explain, they mutter something illogical and unintelligible, and then just keep repeating it.

Mister D
11-13-2015, 09:55 PM
To me a political hack is one who takes positions on issue without principle. Ask them to explain, they mutter something illogical and unintelligible, and then just keep repeating it.

That nails it.

Captain Obvious
11-13-2015, 10:36 PM

Jingoism

Chris
11-13-2015, 10:40 PM
Jingoism

Neocons are jingoists. One type of political hack.