PDA

View Full Version : 2,000 terror suspects legally purchased guns in the United States

Gypsy
11-17-2015, 11:19 AM
From 2004 to 2014, over 2,000 terror suspects legally purchased guns in the United States

Membership in a terrorist organization does not prohibit a person from possessing firearms or explosives under current federal law," the Government Accountability Office concluded in 2010 (http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d10703t.pdf). The law prohibits felons, fugitives, drug addicts and domestic abusers from purchasing a firearm in the United States (http://smartgunlaws.org/prohibited-people-gun-purchaser-policy-summary/). But people on the FBI's consolidated terrorist watchlist (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/nsb/tsc) — typically placed there when there is "reasonable suspicion (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/nsb/tsc/terrorist-screening-center-frequently-asked-questions)" that they are a known or suspected terrorist — can freely purchase handguns or assault-style rifles.And, as the GAO found, a number of them do: Between 2004 and 2014, suspected terrorists attempted to purchase guns from American dealers at least 2,233 times. And in 2,043 of those cases — 91 percent of the time — they succeeded. There are about 700,000 people on the watch-list — a point that civil libertarians have made to underscore that many on the list may be family members or acquaintances of people with potential terrorist connections.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/11/16/why-the-nra-opposed-laws-to-prevent-suspected-terrorists-from-buying-guns/

Why is this? The answer is in the article.

Archer0915
11-17-2015, 12:14 PM
From 2004 to 2014, over 2,000 terror suspects legally purchased guns in the United States

Membership in a terrorist organization does not prohibit a person from possessing firearms or explosives under current federal law," the Government Accountability Office concluded in 2010 (http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d10703t.pdf). The law prohibits felons, fugitives, drug addicts and domestic abusers from purchasing a firearm in the United States (http://smartgunlaws.org/prohibited-people-gun-purchaser-policy-summary/). But people on the FBI's consolidated terrorist watchlist (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/nsb/tsc) — typically placed there when there is "reasonable suspicion (https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/nsb/tsc/terrorist-screening-center-frequently-asked-questions)" that they are a known or suspected terrorist — can freely purchase handguns or assault-style rifles.And, as the GAO found, a number of them do: Between 2004 and 2014, suspected terrorists attempted to purchase guns from American dealers at least 2,233 times. And in 2,043 of those cases — 91 percent of the time — they succeeded. There are about 700,000 people on the watch-list — a point that civil libertarians have made to underscore that many on the list may be family members or acquaintances of people with potential terrorist connections.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/11/16/why-the-nra-opposed-laws-to-prevent-suspected-terrorists-from-buying-guns/

The answer is we have a system and suspicion is not enough! If it were the case the government could ban guns and deem anyone possessing them a terrorist and kill them on sight!

Cletus
11-17-2015, 12:41 PM
The answer is we have a system and suspicion is not enough! If it were the case the government could ban guns and deem anyone possessing them a terrorist and kill them on sight!

Spot on.

Gypsy
11-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Don't be shocked when the cells are activated and use US guns.

Cigar
11-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Freedom ... Liberty

GrassrootsConservative
11-17-2015, 12:46 PM

Do tell... why would we be surprised? You all have been told by us for forever that Muslims need to have hawkeyes on them for when their cells activate. Blood is on the progressives' hands over this terrorism.

Gypsy
11-17-2015, 12:47 PM
Do tell... why would we be surprised? You all have been told by us for forever that Muslims need to have hawkeyes on them for when their cells activate. Blood is on the progressives' hands over this terrorism.

Bull shit and bull shit again.

Archer0915
11-17-2015, 12:52 PM

And you think that the hundreds of millions of legal gun owners (many former/active military, police, hunters, fathers, mothers) are going to let it continue for more than a few moments? If it happens and my family is hurt, it is on! It is my God given responsibility to protect them. Basically if you are black or white you get an instant pass... Anything else, all bets are off.

But hey it is not just me. If the shit hits the fan, I feel sorry for the innocents that will die that day.

And do not even think that our military or police will stand against the people. You might see all people who are suspect, forcibly deported or routed to the oceans.

Gypsy
11-17-2015, 01:05 PM
It's not going to be like an army attacks us. It's going to be more like McVey or Brievik. Our troops and Joe the plumber aren't going to have a chance to defend the homeland. These terrorists blow their own asses up. We can close our borders, build huge and fabulous walls, and turn away refugees that are fleeing for their lives. It's not going to matter because they are here and their numbers are increasing.

Archer0915
11-17-2015, 01:08 PM
It's not going to be like an army attacks us. It's going to be more like McVey or Brievik. Our troops and Joe the plumber aren't going to have a chance to defend the homeland. These terrorists blow their own asses up. We can close our borders, build huge and fabulous walls, and turn away refugees that are fleeing for their lives. It's not going to matter because they are here and their numbers are increasing.

I think you may have missed my point. I am talking about the citizens getting piussed and rounding up these people after they attack (all of them, even those who have nothing to do with it) and removing them in one way or another. This is WAR!

Gypsy
11-17-2015, 01:21 PM
Archer, I worked for both the NRA and the NRCC. The men in my family have been gun collectors for decades. I own a gun and one day I will inherit the whole collection. I fully support the 2nd. What I don't support are the loopholes and the fear tactics the NRA plays upon. If you think for one minute that the NRA c ares about you or your ability to own firearms, you are wrong. They are a money making machine. Period.

As for statement that if they attack you will kill anyone that isn't white or black at will, that's murder and a hate crime. You would deserve whatever punishment the courts deem fit. I sincerely do not wish that for you.

Archer0915
11-17-2015, 01:44 PM
Archer, I worked for both the NRA and the NRCC. The men in my family have been gun collectors for decades. I own a gun and one day I will inherit the whole collection. I fully support the 2nd. What I don't support are the loopholes and the fear tactics the NRA plays upon. If you think for one minute that the NRA c ares about you or your ability to own firearms, you are wrong. They are a money making machine. Period.

As for statement that if they attack you will kill anyone that isn't white or black at will, that's murder and a hate crime. You would deserve whatever punishment the courts deem fit. I sincerely do not wish that for you.

Counter points here, just saying:

I have not been an NRA member for a long time and until they are under new management I will not join or donate to them. Also I do know you are trying to avoid the hate that will come if you do not qualify your statements so it is what it is. That being said I never mentioned the NRA.

and

I never said I would kill anyone, I said all bets are off. I choose my words carefully as to not give any reason to have myself rounded up.

But still I suspect it would be a big issue with many localized blood baths. And murder? We are in a state of war, declared on us by them.

Question: If you are in a situation where there are 100 people in a crowd and 10 are shooting at you, and they have already killed you kin what do you do? Just sit there till you are killed or fight back even if you happen to take out some who are not shooting?

Cletus
11-17-2015, 02:02 PM

What "loopholes"?

The NRA is the largest and probably best firearms education organization in the world.

HoneyBadger
11-17-2015, 02:10 PM
What I don't support are the loopholes

What loopholes? You mean things like the ability for a citizen to sell private property without first asking permission from Uncle Sugar? Or perhaps the fact that the fed has to prove you are unable to own a firearm before denying you the right via perpetual delays from the FBI NICS system? Those aren't loopholes, they're protections.

Gypsy
11-17-2015, 05:21 PM
M y ex son in law's idiot brother is a convicted felon, he used a gun to rob his employer. He can't legally own a firearm, but that doesn't stop him from selling through Facebook sales sites ... loophole. He also sells and buys handguns at the flea market ... loophole.

Captain Obvious
11-17-2015, 08:10 PM
What we need is more background check paperwork and gun show loophole legislation.

...ayup

Cletus
11-17-2015, 08:17 PM
M y ex son in law's idiot brother is a convicted felon, he used a gun to rob his employer. He can't legally own a firearm, but that doesn't stop him from selling through Facebook sales sites ... loophole. He also sells and buys handguns at the flea market ... loophole.

Neither one of those is a loophole. They are violations of federal law. A "loophole" would suggest he is engaging in LEGAL activities that probably should be illegal, but were overlooked when a law was passed.

He is committing crimes.

Gypsy
11-17-2015, 09:00 PM
Of course it's a crime. If the sales were regulated he wouldn't be able to purchase guns on social media sites or at the flea market. A background check would stop him.

Cletus
11-17-2015, 09:26 PM
Of course it's a crime. If the sales were regulated he wouldn't be able to purchase guns on social media sites or at the flea market. A background check would stop him.

You are not thinking this through.

He is a convicted felon. If he purchases or possesses a firearm, he has committed a felony. It doesn't matter how he gets it. Whether it is through a dealer, an ad in the paper, or a back alley deal with a Crack dealer... it is all illegal.

A firearm owner being able to sell one of his own guns is not a "loophole". It is just like selling any other piece of property. Now, if the seller knowingly sells a firearm to someone prohibited by law from owning or possessing one, the seller has also committed a crime.

I suppose we could do away with private property rights, but if you really think that is a good idea, be careful of what you wish for. You might get it.

Dr. Who
11-17-2015, 09:31 PM
And you think that the hundreds of millions of legal gun owners (many former/active military, police, hunters, fathers, mothers) are going to let it continue for more than a few moments? If it happens and my family is hurt, it is on! It is my God given responsibility to protect them. Basically if you are black or white you get an instant pass... Anything else, all bets are off.

But hey it is not just me. If the shit hits the fan, I feel sorry for the innocents that will die that day.

And do not even think that our military or police will stand against the people. You might see all people who are suspect, forcibly deported or routed to the oceans.
It might come as a surprise, but many muslims, even from the ME are white and/or black or they may look Meditereanian. Who are you going to target? They may not all be wearing identifying beards and some non-Muslims wear similar beards. How are you going to know? Terrorist types are not going to dress up in fatigues or religious garb. In fact, they will try to look very ordinary.

Cthulhu
11-17-2015, 09:35 PM
They are refugees because they won't rise to the occasion - stand and fight for what is moral.

They are males, not men.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.

Subdermal
11-17-2015, 09:47 PM

I would like your opinion on the Fast and Furious fiasco.

Gypsy
11-17-2015, 09:58 PM
You are not thinking this through.

He is a convicted felon. If he purchases or possesses a firearm, he has committed a felony. It doesn't matter how he gets it. Whether it is through a dealer, an ad in the paper, or a back alley deal with a Crack dealer... it is all illegal.

A firearm owner being able to sell one of his own guns is not a "loophole". It is just like selling any other piece of property. Now, if the seller knowingly sells a firearm to someone prohibited by law from owning or possessing one, the seller has also committed a crime.

I suppose we could do away with private property rights, but if you really think that is a good idea, be careful of what you wish for. You might get it.

I understand that. It was an example of a bigger problem. If you are ok with criminals and terrorists obtaining guns, that's your issue.

Captain Obvious
11-17-2015, 10:00 PM
I understand that. It was an example of a bigger problem. If you are ok with criminals and terrorists obtaining guns, that's your issue.

The thing with the misconception of "gun control" is that it's going to do proportionately less to keep guns out of the hands of criminals but will do proportionately more to keep guns out of the hands of legal citizens.

What citizens do with those guns after they legally obtain them is an entirely different matter. "Gun control" is just a faux band aid.

Gypsy
11-17-2015, 10:18 PM
The thing with the misconception of "gun control" is that it's going to do proportionately less to keep guns out of the hands of criminals but will do proportionately more to keep guns out of the hands of legal citizens.

What citizens do with those guns after they legally obtain them is an entirely different matter. "Gun control" is just a faux band aid.

Thank you for being civil. :)

Beevee

I think your statement could be mistaken for unlocking the cell doors and pumping lead into the inmates.

That's assuming the US is able to lock up terrorists in the first place.

HoneyBadger

A convicted felon breaking the law? Oh my goodness... what a shocker! Those aren't loopholes, they're examples of a criminal continuing to break the law.

Perhaps you'd be better off contacting law enforcement rather than whining about supposedly lax laws that allow criminals to continue to break the law. It would be a shame if he harmed someone with those firearms and you did nothing to prevent it.

Cletus
11-17-2015, 10:21 PM

No, I think you should call the Police and turn the guy in.

Why are you enabling him to engage in illegal gun trafficking?

Gypsy
11-17-2015, 10:46 PM
A convicted felon breaking the law? Oh my goodness... what a shocker! Those aren't loopholes, they're examples of a criminal continuing to break the law.

Perhaps you'd be better off contacting law enforcement rather than whining about supposedly lax laws that allow criminals to continue to break the law. It would be a shame if he harmed someone with those firearms and you did nothing to prevent it.

I did. I was told by the sheriff that the means he is using is a loophole and unless they catch him in the act they cannot do anything. Despite what you keyboard commandos think, I am not whining. Stop being assholes. No one wants to take your enhancers.

zelmo1234
11-17-2015, 10:50 PM

IF they are home grown terrorists, you would be right. US citizens are not allowed to purchase firearms

Cletus
11-17-2015, 10:56 PM
I did. I was told by the sheriff that the means he is using is a loophole and unless they catch him in the act they cannot do anything. Despite what you keyboard commandos think, I am not whining. Stop being assholes. No one wants to take your enhancers.

The Sheriff is wrong, or maybe just lazy. There is no loophole ad there are all kinds of ways to get enough to bust him without catching him in the act.

You should call ATF directly.

Explain "No one wants to take your enhancers." I have no idea what you mean.

Cletus
11-17-2015, 10:59 PM
"Keyboard Commandos"... really?

It is not my fault that you don't know what you are talking about. Save your childish insults for someone who might be impressed by them.

HoneyBadger
11-18-2015, 12:52 AM

If they have information that a convicted felon is in possession of firearms, they don't need to "catch him in the act" of purchasing said firearms. And no, he's not using a "loophole". Think about it, there is no loophole that allows a convicted felon to possess firearms. It's a federal crime.