PDA

View Full Version : GOP candidates were for Syrian refugees before they were against them

Green Arrow
11-17-2015, 06:19 PM
GOP candidates were for Syrian refugees before they were against them (http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/gop-2016-syria-refugees-215978)

As the aftershocks from last Friday's terrorist attacks in Paris continue to reverberate in the U.S., the Republican presidential contenders have taken a sharp right turn in how they are talking about the thousands of Syrian refugees who were due to arrive on American shores in the coming months.

The talk of compassion — stoked by the image in September of a drowned Syrian boy on a Turkish beach — has shifted to dire warnings of unacceptable security risks after the revelation that at least one of the terrorists arrived with migrants through Greece.

With more than two dozen governors saying the refugees are now not welcome in their states, and with House GOP leaders drafting legislation to halt President Barack Obama's plan to accept 10,000 refugees in 2016, a handful of Republican White House hopefuls are falling in line with tougher talk.

Ted Cruz is one of them, after expressing openness in February 2014, as negotiators met in Geneva for ultimately unsuccessful talks to broker an end to the Syrian civil war. The Texas senator appeared in a Fox News segment reporting on the dilemma of what to do about refugees seeking asylum in the United States, and spoke generally about U.S. values.

"We have welcomed refugees, the tired huddled masses for centuries," he said during the two-and-a-half minute package about the broader situation. "That’s been the history of the United States. We should continue to do so."

But he also had a caveat: “We have to continue to be vigilant to make sure those coming are not affiliated with the terrorists, but we can do that."

Fast forward 21 months, with Syria's bloody civil war still raging and with fears stoked about ISIL fighters slipping into the U.S., Cruz is now saying he plans to introduce legislation that would bar Syrian refugees from entering the country.

"What Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are proposing is that we bring to this country tens of thousands of Syrian Muslim refugees," Cruz told CNN. "I have to say, particularly in light of what happened in Paris, that's nothing short of lunacy."

Not exactly politically feasible to keep supporting something like that after the attacks in Paris. "I was wrong before" would be more honest though.

Mac-7
11-17-2015, 06:28 PM
GOP candidates were for Syrian refugees before they were against them (http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/gop-2016-syria-refugees-215978)

Not exactly politically feasible to keep supporting something like that after the attacks in Paris. "I was wrong before" would be more honest though.

It is obvious to any intelligent person that we should not bring the syrians to America.

I dont care what Cruz said before.

He gets it now and that is what matters

Unlike the fool in the white house now who is simply sleepwalking through history

Matty
11-17-2015, 06:31 PM

Was that before or after Paris? Even a bow wow wow learns from his mistakes.

Common
11-17-2015, 06:37 PM

Why did you come back here matty, to just troll every thread and insult people ?

Matty
11-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Why did you come back here matty, to just troll every thread and insult people ?

No no more than I am insulted. Why? Are you mad?

Matty
11-17-2015, 06:40 PM

I thought it it was a pertinent question. Did he change his mind before or after Paris?

Safety

Well, to be honest, she did try to hide her personality, but even then it was too obvious to ignore.

Green Arrow

It was before Paris that they supported it, now they are trying to pretend they never supported it to begin with. That's dishonest.

Common
11-17-2015, 06:42 PM
No no more than I am insulted. Why? Are you mad?

lol not even a little bit but I am very amused. Its comical how you think you gain anything by acting like a right wing nutjob on steroids.
You were much better when you at least "tried" to discuss things reasonably in your subterfuge alias.

Matty
11-17-2015, 06:43 PM
It was before Paris that they supported it, now they are trying to pretend they never supported it to begin with. That's dishonest.

Thank you. That was a civil answer. Not snarky like Safety.

Matty
11-17-2015, 06:44 PM
lol not even a little bit but I am very amused. Its comical how you think you gain anything by acting like a right wing nutjob on steroids.
You were much better when you at least "tried" to discuss things reasonably in your subterfuge alias.

Yes, I just saw you throw down being a " centrist" cough cough on another thread. ROFLMAO.

Common
11-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Yes, I just saw you throw down being a " centrist" cough cough on another thread. ROFLMAO.

Youre dismissed now matty go play in traffic :) you will get no more responses till im ready.

Matty
11-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Youre dismissed now matty go play in traffic :) you will get no more responses till im ready.

You liberals are so entitled.

Crepitus
11-17-2015, 06:48 PM
ALL politicians change their stance with the wind.

donttread
11-17-2015, 06:51 PM

Seriously, unless you want a terrified and vulnerable public how could anyone have ever supported this?

Mac-7
11-17-2015, 07:55 PM
As I keep pointing out to the liberals, Cruz is right now, obumer is wrong.

Tahuyaman
11-17-2015, 08:05 PM
GOP candidates were for Syrian refugees before they were against them
Condidering current events, I'm sure hundreds of millions of people all over the world are rethinking their position on that issue.

Cigar
11-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Chris Matthews said something a little while ago that I agreed with ...

In two years the US Military only trained 4 Syrian fighters
There's 4 Million Syrian refugees leaving.

With all the Able Body Men leaving, why is The US sending their Able Bodied Men to fight and die for a country their own people won't die for. Even if the US Kills every ISIS Fighter, who's going to Run a country that has no one in it?

Bottom Line, if they are leaving without a fight, why are we going there to fight?

Finally, Chris Matthews of MSNBC says something that make common sense to me.

If anyone wants to fight in Syria, then go fight.

Captain Obvious
11-17-2015, 08:43 PM

With all the Able Body Men leaving, why is The US sending their Able Bodied Men to fight and die for a country their own people won't die for. Even if the US Kills every ISIS Fighter, who's going to Run a country that has no one in it?

Bottom Line, if they are leaving without a fight, why are we going there to fight?

http://smalltalkwitht.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/hugh-chris-matthews.jpg

Matty
11-17-2015, 08:46 PM

When has he ever said anything you disagree with?

Subdermal
11-17-2015, 09:00 PM

I think you - and the article author - are being dishonest about Cruz' position on this issue.

Lots of people - including me - have been for legal immigration; it is the foundation of this country.

This, however, is the first time that we're considering accepting en masse a group of supposed immigrants from a particular area known for terrorism, particularly after having experienced this same incursion and demographic charging borders all over the EU.

These aren't immigrants. They are refugees.

This isn't a 'change of heart'. This is a particular stance on a particular circumstance. Had Cruz been asked moments after stating his support of immigration in general if we should accept hordes of 'refugees' from an AQI hot spot, he would have said the exact same thing.

If the nuance and consistency of the position fails you or anyone else, that is your shortcoming, and not Cruz' or anyone else's.

Green Arrow
11-17-2015, 10:31 PM
I think you - and the article author - are being dishonest about Cruz' position on this issue.

1) I didn't say anything about Cruz, the article was about more than just Cruz.

2) The article quoted Cruz directly.

Lots of people - including me - have been for legal immigration; it is the foundation of this country.

This, however, is the first time that we're considering accepting en masse a group of supposed immigrants from a particular area known for terrorism, particularly after having experienced this same incursion and demographic charging borders all over the EU.

These aren't immigrants. They are refugees.

This isn't a 'change of heart'. This is a particular stance on a particular circumstance. Had Cruz been asked moments after stating his support of immigration in general if we should accept hordes of 'refugees' from an AQI hot spot, he would have said the exact same thing.

If the nuance and consistency of the position fails you or anyone else, that is your shortcoming, and not Cruz' or anyone else's.

Cruz specifically used the word "refugee" in the remarks in question, not "immigrant." Cruz's own words don't support your attempts to spin them.

Captain Obvious
11-17-2015, 10:31 PM
Is Cruz still in the campaign?

Green Arrow
11-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Is Cruz still in the campaign?

Yeah, he's basically in like third or fourth place. He has zero reason to drop out right now.

Bob
11-17-2015, 10:39 PM

She is not doing that. Why are you accusing her?

Captain Obvious
Yeah, he's basically in like third or fourth place. He has zero reason to drop out right now.

He's not getting the LW hack vitriol that Carson and Trump are getting, that's the kiss of death IMO.

Beevee
It appears that the Statue of Liberty needs a stonemason to remove "Give me your tired, your poor. Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" that no longer appears to be valid in something close to 50 states. Or maybe 57 states.

Green Arrow
11-17-2015, 10:42 PM
He's not getting the LW hack vitriol that Carson and Trump are getting, that's the kiss of death IMO.

They aren't paying him much attention because Carson and Trump have the big leads. Carson was virtually ignored until he started knocking on Trump's back door, now I can't go take a shit without hearing about how evil Carson is. They dragged Fiorina through the mud too when she pole-vaulted into second place after the second GOP debate.

Cruz will get his chance to be run over by the LW vitriol bandwagon if he can crack the top two spots.

Captain Obvious
11-17-2015, 10:43 PM
They aren't paying him much attention because Carson and Trump have the big leads. Carson was virtually ignored until he started knocking on Trump's back door, now I can't go take a shit without hearing about how evil Carson is. They dragged Fiorina through the mud too when she pole-vaulted into second place after the second GOP debate.

Cruz will get his chance to be run over by the LW vitriol bandwagon if he can crack the top two spots.

Here's my conspiracy theory. Cruz isn't spending campaign dollars because...

Trump-Cruz

zelmo1234
11-17-2015, 10:47 PM
When has he ever said anything you disagree with?

Yes but even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

This is a valid question, if they are not willing to fight, why should people be willing to fight their battle for them.

Green Arrow
11-17-2015, 10:55 PM
Here's my conspiracy theory. Cruz isn't spending campaign dollars because...

Trump-Cruz

I've considered that. He's also the only candidate that hasn't said a single negative thing about Trump. I think he's playing for VP of either Trump or Carson.

Mac-7
11-18-2015, 04:59 AM

Cruz must be doing better than leftwingers admit.

because you guys only sttack the conservatives who are strong enough to challenge the leftwing agenda.

Attacking Cruz directly or letting liberal pigs in the media do it for you and quoting them says that liberals are worried about Ted Cruz.