PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Care Act?

Venus
08-28-2012, 10:06 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/2012/06/05/obamacare-increases-costs-of-college-health-plans-by-as-much-as-1112/

Obamacare Increases Costs of College Health Plans by as Much as 1,112%

Last March, I wrote a detailed piece (http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/2012/03/22/how-obamacare-dramatically-increases-the-cost-of-insurance-for-young-workers/) on why Obamacare will dramatically increase the cost of insurance for young people. Yesterday, Louise Radnofsky of the Wall Street Journal reported that some colleges are dropping their student health plans for the new academic year, because the new law increases the cost of those plans by as much as 1,112 percent. And no, that’s not a typo.

Most college students are in the peak of health. Hence, covering their health care is usually a pretty easy thing to do. A number of colleges—particularly small, private liberal-arts institutions—offer their students what are called “limited-benefit” plans, which cover health expenses up to a defined cap, such as $10,000. Because expenses are capped, these plans are extremely inexpensive, with premiums ranging from $150-500 per year.

However, Obamacare prohibits capping insurance payouts, causing premiums to skyrocket. For 2013-2014, the law prohibits caps below $500,000 per year; after 2014, caps are banned entirely.

I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!

I'm from the government and I'm here to help...don't do me any favors. http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e25/motherto1/alf.gif

Goldie Locks
08-28-2012, 10:08 AM
This is just the beginning!!! If Ubama gets reelected and this POS is fully implemented, it will never be repealed!!!

Goldie Locks
08-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Ubamacare is just a slush fund for democrats and unions.

Goldie Locks
08-28-2012, 10:11 AM
But just think for 500 more you can have FREE birth control...;)

Goldie Locks
08-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Bait and switch kiddies...Welcome to reality of indoctrinated slow learners.

Goldie Locks
08-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Affordable Care Act, not so affordable after all...kind of like those shovel ready jobs that were not shovel ready after all.

bladimz
08-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Kids (most college students are kids) up to the age of 26 can remain on their parents' policy now. Why would any student opt for college insurance instead? So what am i missing here?

Mainecoons
08-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Around 600,000 students, about 7% of the total number of 18-to-23-year-olds in college, bought their own insurance, generally plans arranged by schools for which students pay all the premiums, the GAO study said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303506404577444410947791758.html

These are probably the students who in general have the fewest resources to draw on. Nice work. Maybe next time y'all will find out what is in something BEFORE you pass it.

Venus
08-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Kids (most college students are kids) up to the age of 26 can remain on their parents' policy now. Why would any student opt for college insurance instead? So what am i missing here?

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-08-389

About 80 percent of college students aged 18 through 23 had health insurance in 2006. While 67 percent of college students were covered through employer-sponsored plans, 7 percent were covered through other private health insurance plans, such as student insurance plans, and 6 percent were covered by public programs, such as Medicaid. Most insured students were covered, for example, as a dependent, on a policy under another person's name. About 20 percent of college students aged 18 through 23 (1.7 million) were uninsured in 2006, and certain groups of students--such as part-time students, nonwhite students, and students from families with lower incomes--were more likely than others to be uninsured. The characteristics of uninsured students are consistent with those of the uninsured found in the general U.S. population. Over half of colleges nationwide offered student insurance plans in the 2007-2008 academic year, and plans' benefits varied. Colleges customized their plans to reflect their priorities in making premiums affordable for students while providing coverage that meets students' needs

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/02/health/02patient.html

A Maze of Options on Health Insurance for College Students

If you’re part of that wave, here’s an important item for the to-do list: make sure your child has the right kind ofhealth insurance (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/health_insurance_and_managed_care/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier).The task used to be fairly straightforward. Most group health plans have traditionally allowed dependent children to stay on a parent’s policy until the age of 23 or, in some cases, 25, if the child is a full-time student.That’s still typically the case. But with so many people losing jobs and, in turn, health benefits, counting on employer-sponsored health insurance isn’t the automatic default it once was

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/03/31/insurance

Among the Uninsured: 1.7 Million College Students

March 31, 2008 - 4:00am

By

Elizabeth Redden (http://www.insidehighered.com/users/elizabeth-redden)

About 1.7 million traditional-aged college students, or 20 percent, are uninsured in the United States. And student health plans – offered by 57 percent of all colleges – vary dramatically in terms of services covered, according to a new report (http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d08389.pdf) on college students and health insurance released by the United States Government Accountability Office Friday.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-08-22/dont-forget-insurance-with-college-bound-kids

Don't forget insurance with college-bound kids

By Dave Carpenter on August 22, 2012

HEALTH
Many colleges and universities require health insurance. Most parents can meet that by keeping their children on their plan, which federal health reform allows until age 26.
If the college is in another state, it's important to check your plan's network of preferred doctors and hospitals extends there. Otherwise the highest level of coverage may not be available.

Venus
08-28-2012, 12:04 PM

The majority of schools require a certain level of health insurance and if you can't provide proof of insurance you will have to purchase what the college/university has to offer.

bladimz
08-28-2012, 02:05 PM
The majority of schools require a certain level of health insurance and if you can't provide proof of insurance you will have to purchase what the college/university has to offer.
Actually i have a pretty clear understanding of college-provided student health insurance, as it was a few years ago. When i owned my print shop one of my largest accounts was an insurance company whose niche was just that. We were contracted to print all materials pertinent to their programs. Colleges included most of the SUNY schools, Gwynedd-Mercy, Temple, Villanova, etc. Most were relatively smaller schools. Anyway, the coverage offered were pretty bare-bones, which was usually good enough for the overwhelming majority of college aged students, probably at the peak of their health. This little insurance company made out like a bandit. We were told by the owner that as long as our annual billing to them was no more than 2% of their total sales, we would have their work for as long as we wanted it. We were able to maintain that request, mostly because 2% was much more than we were billing them. And we weren't over-billing them, but we weren't cutting them any breaks either.

It's pretty obvious that premiums are exploding skyward now because insurance companies are getting their licks in before the ACA takes full effect.

Peter1469
08-28-2012, 04:03 PM
When the government takes charge of something, the prices always skyrockets.

I was lucky enough to have VA coverage when I was in school. That saved me a lot. I didn't need insurance those 7 years.

Mainecoons
08-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Actually, it is pretty obvious the costs have skyrocketed because of government and their legistlating out of existence the basic coverage that was all these students who are young and healthy needed. Just more of your dumb denial, Blad. There's a direct cause-effect here. Get your head out of your butt.

Goldie Locks
08-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Actually i have a pretty clear understanding of college-provided student health insurance, as it was a few years ago. When i owned my print shop one of my largest accounts was an insurance company whose niche was just that. We were contracted to print all materials pertinent to their programs. Colleges included most of the SUNY schools, Gwynedd-Mercy, Temple, Villanova, etc. Most were relatively smaller schools. Anyway, the coverage offered were pretty bare-bones, which was usually good enough for the overwhelming majority of college aged students, probably at the peak of their health. This little insurance company made out like a bandit. We were told by the owner that as long as our annual billing to them was no more than 2% of their total sales, we would have their work for as long as we wanted it. We were able to maintain that request, mostly because 2% was much more than we were billing them. And we weren't over-billing them, but we weren't cutting them any breaks either.

It's pretty obvious that premiums are exploding skyward now because insurance companies are getting their licks in before the ACA takes full effect.

Insurance premiums were actually declining during the debate and signing of Ubamacare...little known fact, even though we kept hearing how they were skyrocketing...mine didn't start going up until after Ubamacare was signed.

Venus
08-29-2012, 07:35 AM

College/University health coverage, like Obamacare, is a racket and an infringement on my rights.

Peter1469
08-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Yes it is. But college health insurance was tailored to young healthy people and does not meat Obamacare's requirements. As noted above in this thread that is going to force the costs up, up, up. Something college students need.....