PDA

View Full Version : Lies, Damn Lies and G.O.P. Video's

Cigar
08-29-2012, 12:24 PM
“We did build that,” has already been established as one of the more dishonest political memes in a campaign season undisturbed by shame. The Republicans took a clumsy phrase from an Obama speech in July, in which the president pointed out that most American business successes have been assisted by infrastructure, education or incentives underwritten by the government. The Republican spin-masters whipped this into a preposterous claim that Obama denied American entrepreneurs any credit for their creations. The fact that this slogan has been thoroughly debunked has not kept it from being the defining theme in Tampa.

Until Tuesday’s opening festivities you could call this a particularly egregious example of the familiar political game of ripping things out of context. (As in, “I like to fire people.”) A little distortion. A bit of oppo jiu-jitsu. But why stop there? Why not go whole hog and just make stuff up?

“Today,” the GOP proudly announced in a press release, “the Republican National Convention unveiled three ‘These Hands’ videos profiling small business owners in Colorado, Nevada and Ohio who built their business themselves, a clear contrast to President Obama’s claim that small business owners didn’t build their businesses.”

Each of the videos, by the way, continues with the lament of a hard-working businessman – a Colorado farmer, the owner of a Nevada candy company, and the president of an Ohio electric company – each profoundly insulted by what Obama … um, never actually said. Or maybe the Republicans found the only three businessmen in America who have never made use of the interstate highway system or the Internet, never benefited from farm price supports or a government-backed student loan, never enjoyed a business-related tax break.

http://keller.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/28/lies-damn-lies-and-gop-video/

Chris
08-29-2012, 12:29 PM
“We did build that,” has already been established as one of the more dishonest political memes in a campaign season undisturbed by shame.

Who or what established this? This unsubstantiated claim is followed by distortion of what Obama said. If the premises of an argument are false, how can the argument be true?

URF8
08-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Cigar,

You didn't build your business. You are the recipient of preferential treatment from local, state and federal govts. The govt. built your business...you just showed up.

URF8
08-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Who or what established this? This unsubstantiated claim is followed by distortion of what Obama said. If the premises of an argument are false, how can the argument be true?

Are you the same Chris who posts on Political Buddies?

Mainecoons
08-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Cigar,

You didn't build your business. You are the recipient of preferential treatment from local, state and federal govts. The govt. built your business...you just showed up.

And was the right color.

:grin:

Chris
08-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Are you the same Chris who posts on Political Buddies?

No. First I heard of Pol Buds.

Smartmouthwoman
08-29-2012, 01:03 PM
“We did build that,” has already been established as one of the more dishonest political memes in a campaign season undisturbed by shame. The Republicans took a clumsy phrase from an Obama speech in July, in which the president pointed out that most American business successes have been assisted by infrastructure, education or incentives underwritten by the government. The Republican spin-masters whipped this into a preposterous claim that Obama denied American entrepreneurs any credit for their creations. The fact that this slogan has been thoroughly debunked has not kept it from being the defining theme in Tampa.

Until Tuesday’s opening festivities you could call this a particularly egregious example of the familiar political game of ripping things out of context. (As in, “I like to fire people.”) A little distortion. A bit of oppo jiu-jitsu. But why stop there? Why not go whole hog and just make stuff up?

“Today,” the GOP proudly announced in a press release, “the Republican National Convention unveiled three ‘These Hands’ videos profiling small business owners in Colorado, Nevada and Ohio who built their business themselves, a clear contrast to President Obama’s claim that small business owners didn’t build their businesses.”

Each of the videos, by the way, continues with the lament of a hard-working businessman – a Colorado farmer, the owner of a Nevada candy company, and the president of an Ohio electric company – each profoundly insulted by what Obama … um, never actually said. Or maybe the Republicans found the only three businessmen in America who have never made use of the interstate highway system or the Internet, never benefited from farm price supports or a government-backed student loan, never enjoyed a business-related tax break.

http://keller.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/28/lies-damn-lies-and-gop-video/

@ 47 seconds... YOU DIDN'T BUILD THAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKjPI6no5ng

Straight from the horse's mouth to Cigar's ears.

Cigar
08-29-2012, 01:30 PM

I'm perfectly fine with the stupid to remain ignorant.

So if anyone wanst to NOT watch the live video and believe whatever they want ... it's ok.

Agravan
08-29-2012, 02:19 PM

So if anyone wanst to NOT watch the live video and believe whatever they want ... it's ok.

No ignorance about it. Listen to his speech. Are you denying he even said that? As I pointed out before, he made no reference to roads in that sentence. He referenced them before the sentence, but he specifically cited "If you have a business, you didn't build that." Show us where in that sentence to see any reference to his prior sentence. Just because you claim it's been debunked, does not mean it has.

Cigar
08-29-2012, 02:34 PM
No ignorance about it. Listen to his speech. Are you denying he even said that? As I pointed out before, he made no reference to roads in that sentence. He referenced them before the sentence, but he specifically cited "If you have a business, you didn't build that." Show us where in that sentence to see any reference to his prior sentence. Just because you claim it's been debunked, does not mean it has.

Everyone with half a brain knows what the President was saying ... only literal minded idiots who think The President was saying the Government Built Everyone's Businesses believe that.

Fine with me, I just laugh at the morons who say that.

Chris
08-29-2012, 02:49 PM

You didn't respond to what I said at all.

I watched Smartmouthwoman's video.

Chris
08-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Everyone with half a brain knows what the President was saying ... only literal minded idiots who think The President was saying the Government Built Everyone's Businesses believe that.

So we should accept what someone with half a brain spins what Obama meant over what he literally said?

Agravan
08-29-2012, 04:20 PM

There you go, trying to convince people that, while the idiot-in-chief actually said "If you have a business, you didn't build that." He actually meant, "If you have a business, you didn't build the infrastructure around it."
Is that it in a nutshell, Cigar?

You have a man in the WH that needs sycophants like you to translate his gaffes into what you think he meant?
Do you provide the same courtesy to those on the right? Todd Akin's words were taken literally by you guys, are you going to give him the same courtesy of redefining his words to mean something not quite as stupid?

patrickt
08-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Cut Cigar some slack. He's confused because he doesn't write his posts. Someone in the White House does it for him so the concept of individual effort eludes him.

coolwalker
08-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Hey Cigar...take that cigar out of your mouth for a minute so you can see clearly.

birddog
08-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Don't upset Cigar. If you do, after listening to Romney tonight, he might start his weekend early and not show up tomorrow. :laugh:

Mainecoons
08-30-2012, 12:38 PM
He actually meant, "If you have a business, you didn't build the infrastructure around it."

And further, you only succeeded because of government infrastructure. Never mind that said government is so incompetent and wasteful that said infrastructure cost you and everyone else a helluva lot more than it should have (Davis Bacon and minority set asides), you are nothing without it.

You have to take this quote in the context of who Barry is and what has come out of his mouth for years. Barry is a guy that has never created anything, has lived off of government and (probably) fraudulently obtained scholarships, his entire life. Hence, for Barry, all manna flows from government.

Our resident government contract/equal opportunity whore has the same point of view for the same reason. No surprise with either of them.

patrickt
08-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to have a President who is bright enough he doesn't need a whole army of nitwits to explain what he meant?

Agravan
08-30-2012, 02:10 PM
But those same nitwits tell us the president is so bright that he needs them to translate for him.