PDA

View Full Version : GOP Elders Would Deny Trump The Nomination, Even If It Cost Them Chance At WhiteHouse

Mark III
12-08-2015, 03:57 PM
A little while ago this afternoon, the NBC News congressional correspondent Luke Russert made an interesting statement. He said that for the first time, GOP mainstream congressional leaders have talked about the possible necessity that something be done "in Cleveland". Cleveland is the location of the Republican National Convention next summer where the party nominee for president will be chosen. They are talking about manipulating rules to deny Trump the nomination.

This is on the heels of Trump's latest assault against American values, his plan to prevent Muslims from entering the United States. The GOP "elders" know full well that a Trump nomination is doom for their party.

If they denied Trump the nomination, which I believe they would do, they would be handing the election to the Democrats , because Trump would then run as an independent and siphon off a considerable chunk of the otherwise Republican vote. Trump has said a number of times that if he is not treated "fairly" by the Republicans he might run as an independent. Manipulating and changing party rules to deny him a nomination he won with primary votes would certainly qualify as "unfairness" to Donald Trump.

In other words, the GOP elders would sacrifice their chance at the White House this cycle in order to not have Donald Trump on the final election ballot as the Republican Party candidate. That is how much they realize what a disaster it would be for their party.

Mark III
12-08-2015, 03:59 PM
http://radio.foxnews.com/2015/12/08/congressman-david-jolly-on-trump-its-time-for-you-to-go/
Republican U.S. Congressman David Jolly (Fla.) has called on Donald Trump to quit his bid for the presidency after Trump’s latest remarks regarding a proposed ban on Muslim immigrants.
Jolly’s office has issued this statement:
“While ISIS is beheading innocent people for their religious practices, Trump is betraying our freedoms,” Jolly said. “His brutal, bullying bigotry runs contrary to the very principles our forefathers fought so hard to defend. We are either a party of protecting the constitution and religious liberties or we’re not. America should insist on a security test but never a religious test.”
(Conservative radio host) John Gibson spoke to Rep. Jolly this afternoon. Jolly said we need to fix our problems in America without a religious litmus test. He went on to say ” We will be a party in the Wilderness for decade to come if Donald Trump somehow becomes the mouth piece of the Republican party”.

Cigar
12-08-2015, 04:01 PM
They don't have the stones ... their base would chew them up and primary them out. :laugh:

Sorry, this is The GOPs Monster of their own creation, they can't just have an abortion of Trump, they have to bring him to Term. :grin:

Careful what you ask for ... you just might get it. :tongue:

Mac-7
12-08-2015, 04:02 PM
A little while ago this afternoon, the NBC News congressional correspondent Luke Russert made an interesting statement. He said that for the first time, GOP mainstream congressional leaders have talked about the possible necessity that something be done "in Cleveland". Cleveland is the location of the Republican National Convention next summer where the party nominee for president will be chosen. They are talking about manipulating rules to deny Trump the nomination.

This is on the heels of Trump's latest assault against American values,

his plan to prevent Muslims from entering the United States. The GOP "elders" know full well that a Trump nomination is doom for their party.

If they denied Trump the nomination, which I believe they would do, they would be handing the election to the Democrats , because Trump would then run as an independent and siphon off a considerable chunk of the otherwise Republican vote. Trump has said a number of times that if he is not treated "fairly" by the Republicans he might run as an independent. Manipulating and changing party rules to deny him a nomination he won with primary votes would certainly qualify as "unfairness" to Donald Trump.

In other words, the GOP elders would sacrifice their chance at the White House this cycle in order to not have Donald Trump on the final election ballot as the Republican Party candidate. That is how much they realize what a disaster it would be for their party.

Denying foreigners the privilege of entering this country is somehow an "assault against American values?"

Only in lib la la land.

Cigar
12-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Denying foreigners the privilege of entering this country is somehow an "assault against American values?"

Only in lib la la land.

Tell us Mac-7 , how do you enforce this? :grin:

Mark III
12-08-2015, 04:06 PM
They don't have the stones ... their base would chew them up and primary them out. :laugh:

Sorry, this is The GOPs Monster of their own creation, they can't just have an abortion of Trump, they have to bring him to Term. :grin:

I think they could and will throw Trump out in a second. We have to remember, even if Trump wins enough delegates because of winner take all states, there is no chance that he will have a majority of the party apparatus behind him, and they could go "backroom" at the convention and dump him. It would be a big fight, but they could do it and I believe they would. They are beginning to see that "enough is enough".

Mac-7
12-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Tell us @Mac-7 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1014) , how do you enforce this? :grin:

You deny visas to muslims.

Cigar
12-08-2015, 04:08 PM
I think they could and will throw Trump out in a second. We have to remember, even if Trump wins enough delegates because of winner take all states, there is no chance that he will have a majority of the party apparatus behind him, and they could go "backroom" at the convention and dump him. It would be a big fight, but they could do it and I believe they would. They are beginning to see that "enough is enough".

Trump hasn't even stared to spend money, I can see him retaliating to the tune of $-Millions :laugh:

Mac-7
12-08-2015, 04:08 PM

Whats wrong with liberals and the democratic process?

Cigar
12-08-2015, 04:09 PM
You deny visas to muslims.

Really, do you go by looks or honesty? :laugh:

Mac-7
12-08-2015, 04:13 PM
Really, do you go by looks or honesty? :laugh:

I suppose muslims could try to hide their religion.

But most will not be successful at that.

Green Arrow
12-08-2015, 04:29 PM
I don't think they would do it, especially if he gets a big portion of the vote.

Mark III
12-08-2015, 04:37 PM
I don't think they would do it, especially if he gets a big portion of the vote.

Many of the states are "winner take all" where a candidate can get all the delegates without a majority of the votes. If Trump is winning states with 35 or 40 % of the vote and getting all the delegates I think they would dump him in a heartbeat. If he wins states with a majority, it would be more difficult , but he probably wont get many majorities, if any.

Green Arrow
12-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Many of the states are "winner take all" where a candidate can get all the delegates without a majority of the votes. If Trump is winning states with 35 or 40 % of the vote and getting all the delegates I think they would dump him in a heartbeat. If he wins states with a majority, it would be more difficult , but he probably wont get many majorities, if any.

I don't agree. If he wins all of the first four states, unless another candidate almost edges him out in one of those states (like Santorum and Romney last cycle), the other candidates will drop out after Florida and he'll basically be unopposed. That's how it almost always works.

Mark III
12-08-2015, 04:43 PM
I don't agree. If he wins all of the first four states, unless another candidate almost edges him out in one of those states (like Santorum and Romney last cycle), the other candidates will drop out after Florida and he'll basically be unopposed. That's how it almost always works.

You think everyone will drop out and let Trump waltz to the nomination? Good luck with that. The Republican Party does not want it in the history books that they nominated the most ludicrous presidential candidate in US history, believe me.

MisterVeritis
12-08-2015, 04:49 PM
You think everyone will drop out and let Trump waltz to the nomination? Good luck with that. The Republican Party does not want it in the history books that they nominated the most ludicrous presidential candidate in US history, believe me.
You mean a candidate that can win? It is true that Establishment Republicans are very skilled at getting Democrats elected to the White House. It is time to change that. Trump or Cruz must win.

Beevee
12-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Tell us @Mac-7 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1014) , how do you enforce this? :grin:

Tanks along the Canadian border would do it. But Mac-7 doesn't have to tell you that, since I did.

Cigar
12-08-2015, 04:52 PM
You mean a candidate that can win? It is true that Establishment Republicans are very skilled at getting Democrats elected to the White House. It is time to change that. Trump or Cruz must win.

Bill Clinton is Crazy like a Fox :laugh:

nic34
12-08-2015, 05:02 PM

Only in lib la la land.

American Values:

http://www.thelibertybeacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/statue-of-liberty-ruins620.jpg

Green Arrow
12-08-2015, 05:14 PM
You think everyone will drop out and let Trump waltz to the nomination?

Pretty much, yeah. At some point donors will stop throwing money at a losing cause.

The Republican Party does not want it in the history books that they nominated the most ludicrous presidential candidate in US history, believe me.

They don't have a choice. Just like you have little choice but to nominate one of the most corrupt and ideologically lacking candidates in history.

Mark III
12-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Pretty much, yeah. At some point donors will stop throwing money at a losing cause.

I think you are hallucinating. Trump makes Hillary Clinton look like Abraham Lincoln.

They haven't even begun to throw the kitchen sink at Trump yet. Republican elders have been waiting and hoping that either Trump would either fade or change his ways. If he doesn't they will act. The Republican Party will not allow Donald Trump to be their nominee, one way or the other.

AeonPax
12-08-2015, 05:20 PM
`
I would tend to agree. Both parties are "for profit" organizations that have a "brand". Aside from their investors, there are other power sources at play. Trump is another Sarah Palin, when it comes to worshipers. However, that does not translate into competent and mature leadership. That has got to worry many Americans.

Green Arrow
12-08-2015, 05:25 PM
I think you are hallucinating. Trump makes Hillary Clinton look like Abraham Lincoln.

Trump is irrelevant. Even if he managed to win the nomination, there's no way he beats Hillary. And even if he did beat Hillary, he likely wouldn't last a year in office. He'd either end up resigning, impeached, or assassinated.

I prefer to focus on people who will actually win the office and hold it for 4-8 years. Like Mrs. Clinton.

Mark III
12-08-2015, 05:27 PM
`
I would tend to agree. Both parties are "for profit" organizations that have a "brand". Aside from their investors, there are other power sources at play. Trump is another Sarah Palin, when it comes to worshipers. However, that does not translate into competent and mature leadership. That has got to worry many Americans.

I think Trump's biggest problem is actually that he is a known habitual liar. Many people think Clinton lies all the time too, but her lies are more in a gray area, at least in public perception. Trump has told whopper after whopper to the point it has embarrassed mainstream Republicans.

The Republican establishment does have the means to deny Trump the nomination, as long as they accept that it will cost them the election next November. It may come down to that.

Chris
12-08-2015, 05:36 PM

They haven't even begun to throw the kitchen sink at Trump yet. Republican elders have been waiting and hoping that either Trump would either fade or change his ways. If he doesn't they will act. The Republican Party will not allow Donald Trump to be their nominee, one way or the other.

"Trump makes Hillary Clinton look like Abraham Lincoln."

She may well look like Lincoln but could never measure up.

On topic, I'm still hoping Trump splits the Republicans. Let third parties join the fray!

Tahuyaman
12-09-2015, 12:07 AM
I suppose muslims could try to hide their religion.

But most will not be successful at that.

Throw suspected Muslims a slab of bacon and check for their reaction.

ThaiBoxer
12-09-2015, 12:10 AM

I hope they do it. The Republicans will sit home on election day and Hillary and Bill go back to the White House!

Ethereal
12-09-2015, 12:15 AM
I hope they do it. The Republicans will sit home on election day and Hillary and Bill go back to the White House!

A serial rapist and a corrupt shrew back in the White House. Hooray!

gamewell45
12-09-2015, 12:19 AM

This is on the heels of Trump's latest assault against American values, his plan to prevent Muslims from entering the United States. The GOP "elders" know full well that a Trump nomination is doom for their party.

If Trump were to run as an independent, he would lose all credibility since he publicly promised not to run as an independent candidate. It would undermine his campaign greatly since his opponents could say "see, he cannot be trusted". I think it would be a bad move on his part.

Ethereal
12-09-2015, 12:22 AM
If Trump were to run as an independent, he would lose all credibility since he publicly promised not to run as an independent candidate. It would undermine his campaign greatly since his opponents could say "see, he cannot be trusted". I think it would be a bad move on his part.

If being a massive liar caused politicians to lose all credibility, then Obama would have never been reelected, and Hillary Clinton would have no chance at winning in 2016.

Mac-7
12-09-2015, 03:49 AM
Tanks along the Canadian border would do it. But Mac-7 doesn't have to tell you that, since I did.

I wish I could reassure you that I like and welcome refugees from the frozen North but I cant because that would be a lie.

With a few rare exceptions Canadians are far too liberal and far too full of themselves for me to tolerate.

Mac-7
12-09-2015, 03:52 AM
Trump is irrelevant. Even if he managed to win the nomination, there's no way he beats Hillary. And even if he did beat Hillary, he likely wouldn't last a year in office. He'd either end up resigning, impeached, or assassinated.

I prefer to focus on people who will actually win the office and hold it for 4-8 years. Like Mrs. Clinton.

You didnt think Trump would run.

And when he did run you didnt think he was serious enough stay for very long.

Now you crank up the old crystal ball for more busted predictions?

Chris
12-09-2015, 07:12 AM
Hillary, Trump, what difference does it really make?

gamewell45
12-09-2015, 08:07 AM
If being a massive liar caused politicians to lose all credibility, then Obama would have never been reelected, and Hillary Clinton would have no chance at winning in 2016.

Ok, lets see what happens. I say if he runs as an independent, he'll lose. It'll give both parties more than enough ammunition to trash his credibility.

Jets
12-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Unless there is some governing law to the contrary, the delegates do not have to nominate Trump regardless of his poll numbers. Granted, if the numbers are that high it is undemocratic and balks the electorate. That said, the two party system is out to protect itself and I agree with the premise that losing the WH is less problematic than risking destruction of the party itself.

jmo here of course.

suds00
12-09-2015, 11:08 AM
if elected,how long would he be able to stay in office

MisterVeritis
12-09-2015, 12:31 PM
More likely the Republican party will become the third party. Whatever party Trump leads will become the primary party.

ThaiBoxer
12-09-2015, 01:30 PM
More likely the Republican party will become the third party. Whatever party Trump leads will become the primary party.

LOL. Yeah sure brah. Keep believing that

ThaiBoxer
12-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Hillary, Trump, what difference does it really make?

Umm... you kidding? HUGE difference

MisterVeritis
12-09-2015, 01:36 PM
LOL. Yeah sure brah. Keep believing that
It is entirely possible we shall find out.