PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm Not (Much Of) A Geek

IMPress Polly
12-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Being as I've long amassed and adored many video games, enjoyed many anime programs and films, participate in cosplay sometimes, and used to even play a trading card game and read a few comic books here and there, you might wonder why I seem to have such difficulty fitting into geek culture. The answer is that, while I'm something of an introverted person (which is what's reflected in the aforementioned interests)*, my affection for delusional male power fantasies and the fetishizing of cliches is limited. Geeks love to portray themselves as much smarter and more creative than the cultural mainstream (as if they're not part of it), but really their culture boils down to the aforementioned, which leaves people like me to occupy a marginalized space therein.

To further clarify matters, I'll include an adorable cartoon music video starring Daffy Duck below that illustrates how I see geek culture quite well. Given that geeks seem to communicate primarily in pop culture references, I figure that using their native language might better establish communication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oe7Q8OCm5I

*That's also part of why I like my job so much: it forces me to be more social.