PDA

View Full Version : EU countries propose military headquarters

Conley
09-10-2011, 08:36 AM
BRUSSELS, Sept. 9 (UPI) -- France, Germany, Italy, Poland and Spain say they want to develop a plan for a European Union military headquarters, the EUobserver reported Friday.

In a letter to EU foreign relations chief Catherine Ashton, the five countries asked her to investigate their options in moving forward despite objections from Britain, the online newspaper said.

The letter, viewed by EUobserver personnel, said Ashton should examine "permanent structured cooperation," a treaty option that allows nine or more member states to move ahead on projects without other EU countries.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2011/09/09/EU-countries-propose-military-headquarters/UPI-90081315581565/#ixzz1XYYVRCoo

Interesting...this might lower the burden on the U.S. and NATO? The U.K. won't go along with it and I wouldn't either if I were them, but if the EU consolidates their smaller powers then perhaps they can take over the role of World Cop Junior Version ;D

MMC
09-10-2011, 08:51 AM
I am all for this. Let them spend their own money to defend the EU. Screw the Brits. they just want to find a way to keep their hands in our pocket or us involved into their game.

Let them fork up the money for the Infrastructure and the building and maintaining of those facilities.

MMC
09-10-2011, 01:29 PM
What we should do is encourage them to do so......I would even help them build it up if I knew for sure the end result was we were pulling out of NATO. Could you just see the looks on their faces. They wouldn't know how to act. Plus the Brits would not go for Germany running things. Nor Germany going for the Brits runnings things. Thing is, we wouldnt have to care other than from a National Secuity point of view.

Pendragon
09-10-2011, 01:38 PM
What we should do is encourage them to do so......I would even help them build it up if I knew for sure the end result was we were pulling out of NATO. Could you just see the looks on their faces. They wouldn't know how to act. Plus the Brits would not go for Germany running things. Nor Germany going for the Brits runnings things. Thing is, we wouldnt have to care other than from a National Secuity point of view.

Europe will be just fine without American interference. What good has come of the United States military interference in Europe since 1945? Kosovo is about all that comes to mind upon first reflection.

Mister D
09-10-2011, 03:08 PM

Europe will be just fine without American interference. What good has come of the United States military interference in Europe since 1945? Kosovo is about all that comes to mind upon first reflection.

Kosovo comes to mind because that has been it as far as US military action in post-war Europe is concerned. Too bad Europe couldn't handle that herself.

Pendragon
09-10-2011, 05:17 PM

Kosovo comes to mind because that has been it as far as US military action in post-war Europe is concerned. Too bad Europe couldn't handle that herself.

Europe could have, but why should she when the United States is willing to rush in and do all the heavy lifting?

Where I am from if someone gifts you an offering it would be rude to turn it aside.

Mister D
09-10-2011, 08:44 PM

Europe could have, but why should she when the United States is willing to rush in and do all the heavy lifting?

Where I am from if someone gifts you an offering it would be rude to turn it aside.

The US seems to do all the heavy lifting. They don't call us the arsenal of democracy for nothing. Hey, many Americans would prefer that Europe develop its own defense capability especially now that the Cold War is over.

MMC
09-10-2011, 11:19 PM
The EU will be fine? Sure don't look fine with the P.I.G.S. and F.I.B.S. All you need say is IMF Bail-out. The Euroblast Zone is about to come unraveled. They are shooting themselves in the foot placing the oil embargo on Syria. Thinking they will make up for it with Libya.

The French Play. Just like the French to declare victory before victory can be attained. Do you know if Qadhafi would have had just one. One US military commander. The whole entire conflict would have been over after 1 month. The French The Brits and all their help to the rebel would have been all for naught.

Now Qadhafi is not gone. He can take out the Oil fields if he has any type of Army left. The Rebels have Sunni in them, AQ and some other Islamic Extremists. Here these dipshits are trying to get the country up and running and the enemy is still engaged. Not to intelligent. Even if they are listening to the French and the Brits.

One thing is for certain we should not listen to those in the EU about any monetary fiscal policies. Moreover time to tell the Wuss-bags of Europe they need to act like big boys and stand on their own. Without US assistance, without US Defense, without US coverage to back any of their plays.

What are Americans afraid to stand up and Call the Europeans out?