PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stone: "2015: The Year Obama Stopped Giving Any Fucks"

Cigar
12-22-2015, 01:04 PM
http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/2015/list/2015-the-year-obama-stopped-giving-any-f-cks-20151222/221417/medium_rect/1450445628/720x405-GettyImages-495365858.jpg

The first sign 2015 was going to be a good year for President Obama came in January, when during his sixth State of the Union address he teased Congressional Republicans determined to maintain that Obama's America has been a dystopian hellscape.

"We've seen the fastest economic growth in over a decade, our deficits cut by two-thirds, a stock market that has doubled, and health care inflation at its lowest rate in 50 years," Obama said. He paused, but Republicans held their applause. "This is good news, people," he teased.

" I have no more campaigns to run ," Obama said later in the address. "I know because I won both of them," he added, winking. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf9si1l9sHM)

There are some on the fringes of American society who have long believed President Obama isn't the person he purports to be. And, in at least one way, they're correct: Until now, Obama has presented himself as someone who can at least sorta-kinda deal with bullshit, as it is his job to do.

But 2015 was the year Obama dropped the pretense. It was the year he openly bashed birthers, and skewered whiney Republicans in a harsher way than ever before. He also showed he's gotten even more comfortable making bold moves, to hell with what his critics say (and his critics, as always, had plenty to say).

Here are some highlights from the year of DGAF Obama.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/lists/2015-the-year-obama-stopped-giving-any-f-cks-20151222

http://www.bloomsbury-international.com/images/idiom/rubitin.jpg

Truth Detector
12-22-2015, 01:07 PM
This story gets it ALL wrong; Obama hasn't given a sh1t for the last seven years. I expect him to continue not giving a sh1t for his final year.

It can't end soon enough.

Cigar
12-22-2015, 01:27 PM
This story gets it ALL wrong; Obama hasn't given a sh1t for the last seven years. I expect him to continue not giving a sh1t for his final year.

Think about, this time next year, you'll be B!tching about a Woman :laugh:

donttread
12-22-2015, 02:53 PM
http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/2015/list/2015-the-year-obama-stopped-giving-any-f-cks-20151222/221417/medium_rect/1450445628/720x405-GettyImages-495365858.jpg

The first sign 2015 was going to be a good year for President Obama came in January, when during his sixth State of the Union address he teased Congressional Republicans determined to maintain that Obama's America has been a dystopian hellscape.

"We've seen the fastest economic growth in over a decade, our deficits cut by two-thirds, a stock market that has doubled, and health care inflation at its lowest rate in 50 years," Obama said. He paused, but Republicans held their applause. "This is good news, people," he teased.

" I have no more campaigns to run ," Obama said later in the address. "I know because I won both of them," he added, winking. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf9si1l9sHM)

There are some on the fringes of American society who have long believed President Obama isn't the person he purports to be. And, in at least one way, they're correct: Until now, Obama has presented himself as someone who can at least sorta-kinda deal with bullshit, as it is his job to do.

But 2015 was the year Obama dropped the pretense. It was the year he openly bashed birthers, and skewered whiney Republicans in a harsher way than ever before. He also showed he's gotten even more comfortable making bold moves, to hell with what his critics say (and his critics, as always, had plenty to say).

Here are some highlights from the year of DGAF Obama.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/lists/2015-the-year-obama-stopped-giving-any-f-cks-20151222

http://www.bloomsbury-international.com/images/idiom/rubitin.jpg

Economic growth for whom? People who's career goal is to be a burger flipper and of course the super rich, not so much for college grads and the development of real jobs for adults

Chris
12-22-2015, 02:54 PM

Trump's a woman!?!?!

Mac-7
12-22-2015, 03:43 PM

Obumer does give a shit by hating America for its white majority.

Truth Detector
12-22-2015, 03:45 PM

More likely you'll just be b!tching. :laugh:

Truth Detector
12-22-2015, 03:46 PM
Economic growth for whom? People who's career goal is to be a burger flipper and of course the super rich, not so much for college grads and the development of real jobs for adults

Summed up the Obama recovery in one sentence; bravo.

Cigar
12-22-2015, 03:46 PM
Obumer does give a $#@! by hating America for its white majority.

I bet it comes from having to live with a White Mother and White Grandparents in Kenya :laugh:

That has to really suck, how do you explain that on the 5 mile hike from School, Uphill both ways? :grin:

Truth Detector
12-22-2015, 03:47 PM
Obumer does give a $#@! by hating America for its white majority.

Michelle did say she suddenly started liking the country more after it was stupid enough to elect her husband; we have to give credit where credit is due.

Truth Detector
12-22-2015, 03:48 PM
I bet it comes from having to live with a White Mother and White Grandparents in Kenya :laugh:

That has to really suck, how do you explain that on the 5 mile hike from School, Uphill both ways? :grin:

So Obama isn't black and criticisms of his failed Presidency aren't racist now?

Cigar
12-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Michelle did say she suddenly started liking the country more after it was stupid enough to elect her husband; we have to give credit where credit is due.

She sure stands up for her Man :grin:

Truth Detector
12-22-2015, 03:49 PM
She sure stands up for her Man :grin:

Too bad the same doesn't apply to her country. :grin:

Cigar
12-22-2015, 04:00 PM
So much for the ‘Second-Term Curse’After the president’s year-end press conference at the White House on Friday, Politico ran an attention-getting headline: “Obama spikes the football.”

After watching this president closely, I’ve long believed bragging isn’t his strong suit. For all the Republican assumptions about his so-called “arrogance,” Obama generally does a poor job when it comes to touting his own successes – prompting many of his supporters to often wish he “spiked the football” far more than he actually does.

And with this in mind, it was notable when the president told reporters Friday moments after reaching the podium, “As I look back on this year, one thing I see is that so much of our steady, persistent work over the years is paying off for the American people in big, tangible ways.” Obama started rattling off successes, and the list wasn’t short: a sharp drop in unemployment, growing wages, expanded access to affordable medical care, progress on the climate crisis, breakthroughs on civil rights, diplomatic accomplishments, and on and on.

We talked last week about how very wrong the conventional wisdom was a year ago about what to expect from the White House in 2015. After the midterm elections, Obama was largely written off, and it was widely assumed, incorrectly, that he’d have few if any accomplishments in his seventh year. The truth turned out to be the exact opposite.

But writing in RealClearPolitics yesterday, Bill Scher took an even broader view, providing useful context for the president’s entire second term.

Presidential scholars have a term to describe the typical experience of a chief executive who wins re-election to the White House. It’s called the “second-term curse.” There’s evidence for it. Midway through their second terms, George W. Bush suffered Hurricane Katrina and the Iraqi quagmire, Bill Clinton was impeached, Ronald Reagan was staggered by the Iran-contra scandal, and Richard Nixon was run out of town.

At the risk of jinxing our current president with one year left to go, he appears to have broken the curse.

Sure, there’s still a year to go in this second term, but Scher’s observation is sound.

At least in modern terms, it’s tough to top Obama’s first term when it comes to major successes: ending the Great Recession, passing health-care reform, overhauling Wall Street safeguards, rescuing the American auto industry, etc.

But the president’s second term ranks among the more important of any modern two-termer, most notably because of historic accomplishments on foreign policy: an international nuclear agreement with Iran; overhauling a failed U.S. policy towards Cuba; a breakthrough global climate-change agreement, and so on. If his executive actions on immigration clear the courts, it will be another important piece of his second-term legacy.

Those struggling with a “second-term curse” tend to struggle; Obama’s done the opposite.

Scher makes the persuasive point that this president has avoided what many of his predecessors did not: a second-term scandal. Iran-contra, Watergate, and the Lewinsky affair were all second-term controversies. It’s easy to lose track of all of George W. Bush’s scandals, but many of the biggest – including the U.S. Attorney fiasco, my personal favorite – came after his re-election.

Obama, at least so far, hasn’t had any meaningful scandals at all. Some manufactured controversies briefly caused stirs, but each were discredited, and ultimately exposed as little more than mirages for far-right conspiracy theorists. Center-right pundit David Brooks recently marveled at this “amazingly scandal-free administration.”

What’s more, let’s not overlook the fact that many of the president’s second-term successes, including some key Supreme Court victories, are the culmination of fights that began in his first term, only to be wrapped up more recently. The Washington Post’s Chris Cillizza added on Friday, “{R}egardless of your politics, it’s hard not to look at the last year and see a whole lot of checked boxes on Obama’s long-term priority list. And the ability to check those boxes in the seventh year of his presidency proved, beyond any question, that Obama remained not only relevant but a force to be reckoned with, politically speaking.”

Bill Scher’s piece concluded, “Future presidents, in either party, will do themselves a favor by following the Obama model.” That sounds like good advice.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/so-much-the-second-term-curse?cid=sm_fb_maddow

http://binaryapi.ap.org/0508acdf84ca4173ab7d6ae699d421f6/460x.jpg

Bo-4
12-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Sweet.. let the Mooslim, Kenyan Birfer yammering commence!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/Z5vom8GYFgN4Q/giphy.gif

Bo-4
12-22-2015, 04:31 PM

Oh, it'll end just in time for Hillary to initiate you into 8 more years of whine & cheese.

:rofl:

Bo-4
12-22-2015, 04:33 PM
YEAP .. he'll go down as one of THE most effective 2nd term presidents in history. :)

Truth Detector
12-22-2015, 04:37 PM
Oh, it'll end just in time for Hillary to initiate you into 8 more years of whine & cheese.

:rofl:

I cannot imagine your depression and disappointment when Democrats lose again in 2016. But I love the confidence Democrats show even after the massive losses they suffered in 2010 and 2014; they should study this level of group denial....could be fascinating stuff.

Truth Detector
12-22-2015, 04:40 PM
YEAP .. he'll go down as one of THE most effective 2nd term presidents in history. :)

Yep; he effectively lost the Congress and the Senate, effectively lost Iraq, effectively lost the war on terror, he effectively lost Lybia and let Syria go to the shitter after his ineffective red line rhetoric, and lastly, effectively watched Democrats lose two thirds of the Governorships and State Houses in the nation.

But in Democrat land, these are signs of success and winning. Kind of like that idiot Bernie claiming he will give everyone FREE college.....it's FREEEEEeeeee. :biglaugh:

donttread
12-22-2015, 04:41 PM
So much for the ‘Second-Term Curse’

After the president’s year-end press conference at the White House on Friday, Politico ran an attention-getting headline: “Obama spikes the football.”

After watching this president closely, I’ve long believed bragging isn’t his strong suit. For all the Republican assumptions about his so-called “arrogance,” Obama generally does a poor job when it comes to touting his own successes – prompting many of his supporters to often wish he “spiked the football” far more than he actually does.

And with this in mind, it was notable when the president told reporters Friday moments after reaching the podium, “As I look back on this year, one thing I see is that so much of our steady, persistent work over the years is paying off for the American people in big, tangible ways.” Obama started rattling off successes, and the list wasn’t short: a sharp drop in unemployment, growing wages, expanded access to affordable medical care, progress on the climate crisis, breakthroughs on civil rights, diplomatic accomplishments, and on and on.

We talked last week about how very wrong the conventional wisdom was a year ago about what to expect from the White House in 2015. After the midterm elections, Obama was largely written off, and it was widely assumed, incorrectly, that he’d have few if any accomplishments in his seventh year. The truth turned out to be the exact opposite.

But writing in RealClearPolitics yesterday, Bill Scher took an even broader view, providing useful context for the president’s entire second term.

Presidential scholars have a term to describe the typical experience of a chief executive who wins re-election to the White House. It’s called the “second-term curse.” There’s evidence for it. Midway through their second terms, George W. Bush suffered Hurricane Katrina and the Iraqi quagmire, Bill Clinton was impeached, Ronald Reagan was staggered by the Iran-contra scandal, and Richard Nixon was run out of town.

At the risk of jinxing our current president with one year left to go, he appears to have broken the curse.

Sure, there’s still a year to go in this second term, but Scher’s observation is sound.

At least in modern terms, it’s tough to top Obama’s first term when it comes to major successes: ending the Great Recession, passing health-care reform, overhauling Wall Street safeguards, rescuing the American auto industry, etc.

But the president’s second term ranks among the more important of any modern two-termer, most notably because of historic accomplishments on foreign policy: an international nuclear agreement with Iran; overhauling a failed U.S. policy towards Cuba; a breakthrough global climate-change agreement, and so on. If his executive actions on immigration clear the courts, it will be another important piece of his second-term legacy.

Those struggling with a “second-term curse” tend to struggle; Obama’s done the opposite.

Scher makes the persuasive point that this president has avoided what many of his predecessors did not: a second-term scandal. Iran-contra, Watergate, and the Lewinsky affair were all second-term controversies. It’s easy to lose track of all of George W. Bush’s scandals, but many of the biggest – including the U.S. Attorney fiasco, my personal favorite – came after his re-election.

Obama, at least so far, hasn’t had any meaningful scandals at all. Some manufactured controversies briefly caused stirs, but each were discredited, and ultimately exposed as little more than mirages for far-right conspiracy theorists. Center-right pundit David Brooks recently marveled at this “amazingly scandal-free administration.”

What’s more, let’s not overlook the fact that many of the president’s second-term successes, including some key Supreme Court victories, are the culmination of fights that began in his first term, only to be wrapped up more recently. The Washington Post’s Chris Cillizza added on Friday, “{R}egardless of your politics, it’s hard not to look at the last year and see a whole lot of checked boxes on Obama’s long-term priority list. And the ability to check those boxes in the seventh year of his presidency proved, beyond any question, that Obama remained not only relevant but a force to be reckoned with, politically speaking.”

Bill Scher’s piece concluded, “Future presidents, in either party, will do themselves a favor by following the Obama model.” That sounds like good advice.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/so-much-the-second-term-curse?cid=sm_fb_maddow

http://binaryapi.ap.org/0508acdf84ca4173ab7d6ae699d421f6/460x.jpg

Where do you get this stuff? Obama has been just as big a failure as Bush

donttread
12-22-2015, 04:44 PM

How?