PDA

View Full Version : How the US “vets” asylum applicants

Peter1469
12-22-2015, 04:18 PM
How the US “vets” asylum applicants (http://www.cis.org/rush/most-asylum-applicants-are-interviewed-telephone-feel-safer)

The Center for Immigration Studies looks at how asylum seekers are vetted by the US government. Most only get a phone interview. That is reassuring, yes? The author of the article discusses what he learned when he attended a USCIS meeting on asylum seekers

The Asylum Division suffers from a high staff turnover. Loss of trained staff means recruiting and training others to do the job. It is also understaffed. Officers have a hard time meeting quotas set by the president.

Officers interview asylum seekers by phone in 60 percent of the cases (except for families who are already in detention centers). They are under a lot of pressure, especially because they cannot see the interviewees.

In answer to an attendee who suggested asylum seekers should be allowed to apply for work authorization alongside their asylum claim, Lafferty referred to the existing law that forbids it. (Since 1995, asylum seekers have been eligible for work authorization only if their case drags on for more than six months; see here (http://cis.org/1995AsylumReforms) for an overview of the 1995 reforms.) The questioner's rejoinder was nothing short of provocative; she said with a smile, "They work illegally anyway, you know that..." Lafferty did not comment.

Read the entire article at the link, then ask yourself if you trust the regime when it says it certainly can vet the asylum seekers from Syria.

Common Sense
12-22-2015, 04:23 PM
CIS?

Do you really think that a group that is hell bent against immigration would be an accurate source for reliable unbiased information?

donttread
12-22-2015, 04:27 PM
How the US “vets” asylum applicants (http://www.cis.org/rush/most-asylum-applicants-are-interviewed-telephone-feel-safer)

The Center for Immigration Studies looks at how asylum seekers are vetted by the US government. Most only get a phone interview. That is reassuring, yes? The author of the article discusses what he learned when he attended a USCIS meeting on asylum seekers

Read the entire article at the link, then ask yourself if you trust the regime when it says it certainly can vet the asylum seekers from Syria.

Almost like they want some bad guys let in, eh?

Common Sense
12-22-2015, 04:32 PM
Yeah, it's all a conspiracy to take away teh gunz!

donttread
12-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Yeah, it's all a conspiracy to take away teh gunz!

No they have other conspiracies for that. This is about maximizing fear to turn citizens into subjects

Common Sense
12-22-2015, 04:34 PM
No they have other conspiracies for that. This is about maximizing fear to turn citizens into subjects

Coolio.

donttread
12-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Coolio.

Nice to see you get it now

Peter1469
12-22-2015, 06:10 PM
Any argument that is not a logical fallacy?
CIS?

Do you really think that a group that is hell bent against immigration would be an accurate source for reliable unbiased information?

Peter1469
12-22-2015, 06:13 PM
Almost like they want some bad guys let in, eh?

So they make some effort to vet them, but deliberately do a poor job so that terrorists get in? Is that your position?

donttread
12-22-2015, 06:17 PM
So they make some effort to vet them, but deliberately do a poor job so that terrorists get in? Is that your position?

Yeah. What's your position ? Barney Fife runs all federal agencies?

Common Sense
12-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Any argument that is not a logical fallacy?

Any source that's not absurdly biased?

Peter1469
12-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Yeah. What's your position ? Barney Fife runs all federal agencies?

I think government is largely not competent. USCIS is self funded by user fees and very little appropriations. They also have a policy to not charge a fee to asylum seekers. See the problem.

I think the concept that federal employees at the worker bee level are deliberately letting terrorists into the country is shockingly paranoid, and likely requires heavy meditation and inpatient treatment.

Mac-7
12-22-2015, 06:56 PM
Coolio.

Are there any AMERICAN liberal obama apologists who want to comment on this entirely domestic issue?

donttread
12-23-2015, 08:44 AM
I think government is largely not competent. USCIS is self funded by user fees and very little appropriations. They also have a policy to not charge a fee to asylum seekers. See the problem.

I think the concept that federal employees at the worker bee level are deliberately letting terrorists into the country is shockingly paranoid, and likely requires heavy meditation and inpatient treatment.

Nobody is as incompetent as our government agencies pretend to be when the shit hits the fan : For example
1) A trained sniper that missed by a whole person plus a baby and delivered a perfect kill shot to Randy Weaver's wife
2) Going ahead with a raid of an ARMED COMPOUND knowing that they know your coming?
3) Losing track of hundreds of weapons you were supposed to be tracking for a sting
4) Being ass deep in the impending revolution in Iran but not being able to evacuate our embassy in time?
And if they really are this incompetent we need to lessen the authority they have. I did not mean however that the "worker bee" level was knowingly involved in the current situation

Beevee
12-23-2015, 08:50 AM
When I enter the US by car, they ask me where I am going.

When I return from the US, Canadian Border Agency ask me if I am carrying firearms.

Which is closer to the mark?

Crepitus
12-23-2015, 08:50 AM

Sure Pete, a two year long phone interview. That sounds believable.

donttread
12-23-2015, 12:05 PM
When I enter the US by car, they ask me where I am going.

When I return from the US, Canadian Border Agency ask me if I am carrying firearms.

Which is closer to the mark?

Neither if they rely on self report

Peter1469
12-23-2015, 04:17 PM
ISIL, as we have heard already, obtained at least two Syria passport machines and blanks as well as at least one Iraqi passport machine with blanks. Essentially these are real passports. We could get the number sequence of them if the government cooperated with us. I suspect the Iraqis are. The Syrians certainly are not.

Another example of why it is hard to impossible to vet people from Syria.

Link. (http://www.wsj.com/articles/islamic-states-authentic-looking-fake-passports-pose-threat-1450866602)

PARIS—Western security officials are struggling to respond to the threat that Islamic State can make authentic-looking Syrian and Iraqi passports, which could be used to hide operatives planning attacks in Europe or the U.S. among refugees.