PDA

View Full Version : Iran Successfully Hacks A New York Dam

Professor Peabody
12-24-2015, 02:21 PM
Iran Successfully Hacks A New York Dam

Andrew Follett
Energy and Environmental Reporter | 10:56 AM 12/21/2015

Iranian hackers infiltrated the control system of a dam approximately 20 miles from New York City in 2013, according to a Sunday report by the Wall Street Journal.

When the White House was alerted, officials wrongly believed a much larger facility in Oregon had been hacked. The Iranian hackers likely gained access to the New York dam through a cellular modem, according to the Wall Street Journal. The hackers did not take control of the dam, but probed and attempted to map the system.

Any kind of improper access to dams can be dangerous, as demonstrated by the explosion of the Sayano-Shushenskaya hydroelectric dam in Russia in 2009, which killed 75 people and caused an environmental catastrophe.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/21/iran-successfully-hacks-a-new-york-dam/

Yet, the Obama administration continues to spend Billions on Global Warming instead of spending that money on hardening our grid technology's from hackers. The stupidity of that is simply beyond comprehension. For some reason liberals still believe if we simply kiss their backsides they'll love us again and leave us alone. In their culture, kindness is often mistaken for weakness. The idiot deal Obama and Kerry made with Iran will only show weakness and vulnerability. Our grids for power, natural gas and other infrastructure is in dire need of upgrading and hardening, I find it unconscionable the Obama administration gives away billions of our tax dollars chasing shadows of global warming while putting Americans at risk with a vulnerable infrastructure.

So what can we do about it? Sending Hillary back to Chappaqua-Mount Crisco, NY next November would be a good start. A Hillary Clinton Presidency would be nothing more than Obama's third term.

Ethereal
12-24-2015, 03:25 PM
How do they know it was Iranians?

donttread
12-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Yet, the Obama administration continues to spend Billions on Global Warming instead of spending that money on hardening our grid technology's from hackers. The stupidity of that is simply beyond comprehension. For some reason liberals still believe if we simply kiss their backsides they'll love us again and leave us alone. In their culture, kindness is often mistaken for weakness. The idiot deal Obama and Kerry made with Iran will only show weakness and vulnerability. Our grids for power, natural gas and other infrastructure is in dire need of upgrading and hardening, I find it unconscionable the Obama administration gives away billions of our tax dollars chasing shadows of global warming while putting Americans at risk with a vulnerable infrastructure.

So what can we do about it? Sending Hillary back to Chappaqua-Mount Crisco, NY next November would be a good start. A Hillary Clinton Presidency would be nothing more than Obama's third term.

Why do the systems controlling a dam need to be online vs. internal net?

Professor Peabody
12-28-2015, 04:14 AM

I would assume the power stations are hooked together so if a power source goes down the others can kick in and generate additional power seamlessly for the customers.

AeonPax
12-28-2015, 04:28 AM
`
`
Does anyone here know the correct and civil way to respond to a childish thread, that is devoid of intelligent thought? My first impulse would be, not to respond at all.

Kurmugeon
12-28-2015, 05:15 AM
`
`
Does anyone here know the correct and civil way to respond to a childish thread, that is devoid of intelligent thought? My first impulse would be, not to respond at all.

Why are you sneering and demeaning a serious cyberthreat to the infrastructure of America at a time of war?

Are you a Traitor this country?

Should we have the FBI investigate your actions and posts for possible arrest for aiding and abetting foreign terrorists?

-

Ethereal
12-28-2015, 05:56 AM
Why are you sneering and demeaning a serious cyberthreat to the infrastructure of America at a time of war?

Should we have the FBI investigate your actions and posts for possible arrest for aiding and abetting foreign terrorists?

-

You worthless pile of garbage. Go to hell.

Kurmugeon
12-28-2015, 06:37 AM
You worthless pile of garbage. Go to hell.

Me thinks he doth protest too much...

Do we have here yet another person who aids and abets the enemies who are slaughtering Americans on our own streets and in our hospitals and social gatherings?

Tell me, have you purchased several pressure cookers recently?

Have you purchased any firearms to be handed off to Foreigners lately?

-

Ethereal
12-28-2015, 06:47 AM
Me thinks he doth protest too much...

Do we have here yet another person who aids and abets the enemies who are slaughtering Americans on our own streets and in our hospitals and social gatherings?

Tell me, have you purchased several pressure cookers recently?

Have you purchased any firearms to be handed off to Foreigners lately?

-

You would have made a fine Nazi.

Kurmugeon
12-28-2015, 06:49 AM
You would have made a fine Nazi.

My! oh My...

And it seems to me, you DO make a fine Jihadi Traitor.

Well, we all have to pick our sides. I'm for the Americans.

-

Ethereal
12-28-2015, 06:50 AM

-

So what is the forum policy regarding maliciously accusing another poster of committing a serious crime and threatening them with arrest?

Ethereal
12-28-2015, 06:53 AM
My! oh My...

And it seems to me, you DO make a fine Jihadi Traitor.

Well, we all have to pick our sides. I'm for the Americans.

-

Whatever you say, Adolf.

Ethereal
12-28-2015, 06:57 AM
Here is what the forum rules state:

Threats of any kind against any person for any reason will be dealt with harshly and may be referred to a law-enforcement agency as necessary.

It says threats of "any kind", which would necessarily include threats of arrest and investigation. So will this poster's obvious threats be dealt with "harshly" as the forum rules dictate? One can only hope.

Ethereal
12-28-2015, 07:01 AM
False accusations of terrorism or aiding and abetting terrorism are a very serious matter and could have deleterious effects on a poster's real life. This should not be tolerated in a forum where political dialog forms the basis for its entire existence. If this kind of behavior is allowed to happen, it could have a chilling effect on people's willingness to post in an open and frank manner, or even post at all. The threats issued by Kurmedgeon should be dealt with harshly as the forum rules require. Posters should not be made to feel intimidated or threatened into silence by such thuggish tactics.

Ethereal
12-28-2015, 07:05 AM
I would also like to point out that attempting to disguise one's threats as questions does not make them any less threatening. The message from Kurmudgeon was loud and clear: If you engage in political speech he deems unacceptable, then he will raise the specter of investigation and arrest. This is a very serious attempt to stifle debate and intimidate other posters into silence. He should be permanently banned in my opinion. That will send a firm and clear message to the entire forum that these kind of thuggish intimidation tactics will not be tolerated.

AeonPax
12-28-2015, 07:40 AM
Why are you sneering and demeaning a serious cyberthreat to the infrastructure of America at a time of war? Are you a Traitor this country?Should we have the FBI investigate your actions and posts for possible arrest for aiding and abetting foreign terrorists?-
`
If it's all the same to you. I'll wait until someone sapient replies.

donttread
12-28-2015, 07:56 AM
I would assume the power stations are hooked together so if a power source goes down the others can kick in and generate additional power seamlessly for the customers.

Yet vulnerable to attack from anywhere. If only humans were half as smart as we are intelligent

donttread
12-28-2015, 07:59 AM
I would also like to point out that attempting to disguise one's threats as questions does not make them any less threatening. The message from Kurmudgeon was loud and clear: If you engage in political speech he deems unacceptable, then he will raise the specter of investigation and arrest. This is a very serious attempt to stifle debate and intimidate other posters into silence. He should be permanently banned in my opinion. That will send a firm and clear message to the entire forum that these kind of thuggish intimidation tactics will not be tolerated.

It seems Kurmudgeon is a firm believer in "report your neighbor " policy .

Chris
12-28-2015, 11:13 AM

-

No threats please.

Cletus
12-28-2015, 11:29 AM
False accusations of terrorism or aiding and abetting terrorism are a very serious matter and could have deleterious effects on a poster's real life. This should not be tolerated in a forum where political dialog forms the basis for its entire existence. If this kind of behavior is allowed to happen, it could have a chilling effect on people's willingness to post in an open and frank manner, or even post at all. The threats issued by Kurmedgeon should be dealt with harshly as the forum rules require. Posters should not be made to feel intimidated or threatened into silence by such thuggish tactics.

You are making much ado about nothing.

Why?

Pax was trolling and she got slapped for it.

nathanbforrest45
12-28-2015, 11:35 AM

They could tell by the camel droppings they left behind.

MisterVeritis
12-28-2015, 11:42 AM
The industrial control systems, some of them, operate wirelessly for the same reasons others use wireless systems. Convenience, lower costs.

Many industrial control systems are internet-facing directly or indirectly. We know with certainty that Russia and China have mapped our electrical grid. We believe they have mapped the electrical grids of most industrialized nations. North Korea has invested in their cyberwar infrastructure. Iran will have billions to spend for conventional and unconventional weapon systems and capabilities. We can thank Obama, Kerry, and Clinton.

Even ISIS is spending money on cyber war capabilities. That total pussy in the White House (thanks for that memorable phrase Ralph Peters) failed to destroy their major source of revenue, their oil fields. We wouldn't want to inconvenience them.

Koppel has a book out, called Lights Out that tells the tale. I personally, spent a year of my life investigating ways the electrical grid can be taken down for months to years. My favorite is the cyber-physical attack where some substations are physically destroyed and many others are partially damaged via cyber attacks. I believe it would take years to repair. Possibly decades.

Ethereal
12-28-2015, 03:07 PM

Why?

Maliciously accusing someone of aiding and abetting terrorism and threatening to report them to the FBI is a serious issue and a violation of the forum rules. Just because you approve of such thuggish intimidation tactics does not mean it is okay.

Ethereal
12-28-2015, 03:11 PM
It seems Kurmudgeon is a firm believer in "report your neighbor " policy .

Even if there is nothing to report. Unfortunately, though, he was not dealt with "harshly" as the forum rules dictate. I suppose blatant attempts to bully and intimidate other posters into silence are nothing more than a little faux pas.

Cletus
12-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Maliciously accusing someone of aiding and abetting terrorism and threatening to report them to the FBI is a serious issue and a violation of the forum rules. Just because you approve of such thuggish intimidation tactics does not mean it is okay.

Slow down there, Little Flower. I never voiced approval or disapproval of anything other you getting your panties in a wad over something that means absolutely nothing.

iustitia
12-28-2015, 03:22 PM
Even if there is nothing to report. Unfortunately, though, he was not dealt with "harshly" as the forum rules dictate. I suppose blatant attempts to bully and intimidate other posters into silence are nothing more than a little faux pas.

I would ban people like that outright if only because someone so mentally retarded will never have anything substantial to say. Accusing your opposition of supporting Jihad is a shit argument in itself, legal dangers to the accused aside.

iustitia
12-28-2015, 03:24 PM

Crepitus
12-28-2015, 03:33 PM

Why?

Slow down there, Little Flower. I never voiced approval or disapproval of anything other you getting your panties in a wad over something that means absolutely nothing.

Actually ethereal is right to make a fuss. That kinda malicious bullshit has cost people security clearance, jobs, you name it. As someone who has been subjected to intense government scrutiny because of my previous career I can tell you that it flat out suck even if nothing comes of it.
Should be zero tolerance on this. It's every bit as bad as accusing someone of being a child molester.

Cletus
12-28-2015, 03:38 PM
Actually ethereal is right to make a fuss. That kinda malicious bullshit has cost people security clearance, jobs, you name it. As someone who has been subjected to intense government scrutiny because of my previous career I can tell you that it flat out suck even if nothing comes of it.
Should be zero tolerance on this. It's every bit as bad as accusing someone of being a child molester.

This is an unimportant forum where matters of little importance are discussed with an excess of passion and a dearth of actual knowledge. Even if it was called in and it made it to the desk of an investigator (highly unlikely), a quick review of this thread would cause the complaint to end up in File 13 in short order.

Much ado about nothing.

Crepitus
12-28-2015, 03:45 PM
This is an unimportant forum where matters of little importance are discussed with an excess of passion and a dearth of actual knowledge. Even if it was called in and it made it to the desk of an investigator (highly unlikely), a quick review of this thread would cause the complaint to end up in File 13 in short order.

Much ado about nothing.

We can only hope that's what would happen. Better to deal harshly with offenders before something bad happens.

MisterVeritis
12-28-2015, 04:25 PM
I believe you are wound way too tightly.

MisterVeritis
12-28-2015, 04:26 PM
Actually ethereal is right to make a fuss. That kinda malicious bull$#@! has cost people security clearance, jobs, you name it. As someone who has been subjected to intense government scrutiny because of my previous career I can tell you that it flat out suck even if nothing comes of it.
In this case, your response is nonsense.

Captain Obvious
12-28-2015, 04:27 PM

If that were true, and given the pettiness in our society, people would be falsely reporting their rivals to the FBI just for this reason.

I'm guessing the FBI would probably tend more harshly to false reports than running some random nudnick up the flagpole based on a random, baseless report.

Seriously...

silvereyes
12-28-2015, 05:34 PM
`
`

All Karsmudge's replies deserve to be ignored.

Crepitus
12-28-2015, 07:00 PM
In this case, your response is nonsense.

Your response isn't even a response.

MisterVeritis
12-28-2015, 07:12 PM
Your response isn't even a response.
Of course, it was.

zelmo1234
12-28-2015, 07:22 PM
`
`

So you don't want us to respond to this post?

zelmo1234
12-28-2015, 07:26 PM
Here is what the forum rules state:

Threats of any kind against any person for any reason will be dealt with harshly and may be referred to a law-enforcement agency as necessary.

It says threats of "any kind", which would necessarily include threats of arrest and investigation. So will this poster's obvious threats be dealt with "harshly" as the forum rules dictate? One can only hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

zelmo1234
12-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Just so you know I would bet my life and would trust my life to "E" He might be wrong about a lot of political things but he is a true blue American through and through.

zelmo1234
12-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Now if this hack can be traced back to the Iranians, there is NO reason to honor the treaty that allows them to get the bomb.

All of the Sanctions should be slapped back on with even more crippling ones added to them. This would be a clear violation of anything that could even be considered good faith.

AeonPax
12-29-2015, 02:10 AM
All Karsmudge's replies deserve to be ignored.
`
Garbage in, garbage out. I don't ignore the poor dear, just treat him like a precocious 4 year old emotionally desperate for attention.

nathanbforrest45
12-29-2015, 09:01 AM
So you don't want us to respond to this post?

Haven't you learned by now that we are only allowed to respond to post we agree with 100%. If we disagree with what a poster states then we must simply keep quiet. No harsh words like "Well, I don't think that is true" in this forum allowed.

donttread
12-29-2015, 03:12 PM
If that were true, and given the pettiness in our society, people would be falsely reporting their rivals to the FBI just for this reason.

I'm guessing the FBI would probably tend more harshly to false reports than running some random nudnick up the flagpole based on a random, baseless report.

Seriously...

Keep believin

donttread
12-29-2015, 03:14 PM
Just so you know I would bet my life and would trust my life to "E" He might be wrong about a lot of political things but he is a true blue American through and through.

agreed, except the part where you think his political beliefs are wrong

Paradise
12-29-2015, 04:09 PM
Lets Bomb the Shit out of those primitive sand naggers, not that I support the US anyway................

iustitia
12-29-2015, 09:40 PM
Ah yes, let's bomb the brown people for "them" having possibly been connected to hacking a dam. Fucking darkies.