PDA

View Full Version : Feds Won’t Accept Missouri Driver’s Licenses

Captain Obvious
12-25-2015, 08:21 PM
I just found this and just showed it to my wife and we laughed.

Two days ago we got our MO drivers licenses and we were telling our son that, if a terrorist wanted to get a photo ID, MO is the place.

We walked in with our old PA licenses and had our birth certificates, copies of electric bills, shit like that. All we did was hand them our old licenses, answered a few questions, paid twenty bucks and bang, we were licensed MO drivers.

That was it.

Oh, and I took a quick eye exam which I promptly failed because I'm blind as a bat. They let me take the test with my glasses on (and I still failed it lol) but told me to take them off when getting my photo taken. I have one license restriction - I can only drive vehicles with two side mirrors.

:biglaugh:

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2015/12/23/feds-wont-accept-missouri-drivers-licenses/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) – Missouri residents soon will not be able to use their state driver’s licenses as identification to get into most federal facilities, making it at least the fourth state to lose a federal exemption from complying with national proof-of-identity requirements.

A letter from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to Missouri, obtained on Wednesday by The Associated Press, informs the state that its exemption from federal Real ID requirements will come to an end Jan. 10.

That means Missouri driver’s licenses cannot be accepted as ID at military bases and most other federal facilities. It also could eventually mean that Missouri driver’s licenses won’t be accepted as identification for commercial airplane flights.

The 2005 Real ID act imposes tougher requirements for proof of legal U.S. residency in order for state driver’s licenses to be valid for federal purposes. The law was passed in response to national security concerns after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

The Homeland Security Department previously declared Minnesota to be non-compliant, and it sent letters in October to New Mexico and Washington indicating that their exemptions also would end Jan. 10.

States originally were supposed to comply with the Real ID requirements by the end of 2009. Federal authorities have repeatedly delayed implementation to give time for states to change their driver’s license procedures and make the necessary technological improvements.

Peter1469
12-25-2015, 08:55 PM
The Feds are trying to get the states to meet certain standards for IDs like divers licenses. Some call it a national ID.

You will likely need a passport to fly even within the US if you don't have other ID than your state drivers license.

Captain Obvious
12-25-2015, 08:57 PM
The Feds are trying to get the states to meet certain standards for IDs like divers licenses. Some call it a national ID.

You will likely need a passport to fly even within the US if you don't have other ID than your state drivers license.

I get that, but I've been licensed in various states at this point and MO was notably lax.

Ohio and NH punched holes in our old licenses and required proof of residency and birth. They checked her birth name also.

MO could put up a drive-through licensing center.

Common
12-25-2015, 09:00 PM
Fla is a pain in the ass, when you RENEW you have to have 3 forms of ID one has to be your birth certificate, Current liceense and another form.

Peter1469
12-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Once you get your license here in VA you can renew online. And they are good for 10 years. But it has all the bells and whistles that the Feds want.

Green Arrow
12-25-2015, 10:27 PM
I heard about this from friends living in MO. Seems like kind of the wrong way to handle a valid issue.

Standing Wolf
12-25-2015, 10:42 PM
Arizona's licenses don't meet the federal requirements either, apparently, but the director of the state MVD got DHS to accept the old ones for all purposes through September 2020. I'll need a new license before February 2019, anyway.

donttread
12-26-2015, 03:30 PM

Citizenship papers. Why not, after all it worked so very well in Germany

texan
12-26-2015, 04:23 PM
I just found this and just showed it to my wife and we laughed.

Two days ago we got our MO drivers licenses and we were telling our son that, if a terrorist wanted to get a photo ID, MO is the place.

We walked in with our old PA licenses and had our birth certificates, copies of electric bills, $#@! like that. All we did was hand them our old licenses, answered a few questions, paid twenty bucks and bang, we were licensed MO drivers.

That was it.

Oh, and I took a quick eye exam which I promptly failed because I'm blind as a bat. They let me take the test with my glasses on (and I still failed it lol) but told me to take them off when getting my photo taken. I have one license restriction - I can only drive vehicles with two side mirrors.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2015/12/23/feds-wont-accept-missouri-drivers-licenses/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

Capt are yo in Jeff City?

and I did the same in Texas year s ago. I had identity theft take place 25 years ago and I walked in and told them what happened and they gave me a new license never even confirmed the story.....

Ivan88
12-29-2015, 02:26 AM
A driver license or state ID is essentially state citizenship, and all the other states are supposed to honor that.
But the glorious control freaks in DC don't want the states deciding on who's a citizen.
Are they going to cut off social security to the people of Missouri because they don't have DC approved identification?
Maybe they won't let the folks in Misouri pay income tax any more!

Peter1469
12-29-2015, 06:28 AM
A driver license or state ID is essentially state citizenship, and all the other states are supposed to honor that.
But the glorious control freaks in DC don't want the states deciding on who's a citizen.
Are they going to cut off social security to the people of Missouri because they don't have DC approved identification?
Maybe they won't let the folks in Misouri pay income tax any more!

Nobody said that states won't honor a Missouri license. But airports (federally regulated) won't. Anyway, if you don't have a passport, that is your problem if you can no longer fly because your state doesn't have a modern ID card / driver's license.