PDA

View Full Version : tPF How Donald Trump destroyed the Republican Party in 2015

Cigar
12-29-2015, 10:08 PM
Honestly; can we please talk about this without the drama?

https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2015/12/28/Editorial-Opinion/Images/Was8990709.jpg?uuid=Pv3inK2vEeW4IO6k1kvioQ

History will remember 2015 as the year when The Republican Party As We Knew It was destroyed by Donald Trump. An entity called the GOP will survive — but can never be the same.

Am I overstating Trump’s impact, given that not a single vote has been cast? Hardly. I’m not sure it’s possible to exaggerate how the Trump phenomenon has torn the party apart, revealing a chasm between establishment and base that is far too wide to bridge with stale Reagan-era rhetoric. Can you picture the Trump legions meekly falling in line behind Jeb Bush or Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.)? I can’t either.

Trump didn’t blow up the party on his own. He had help from a field of presidential contenders that was touted as deep and talented but proved shallow and wanting. Bush raised shock-and-awe money but turns out to lack his father and brother’s skill at performing on the national stage; he seems to want to be crowned, not elected. Rubio is like the teacher’s pet who speaks eloquently in class but doesn’t do his homework. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie was slow off the mark, perhaps having been stuck in traffic (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/back-in-the-pack-this-is-not-the-campaign-chris-christie-envisioned/2015/10/10/c865337e-6f5b-11e5-aa5b-f78a98956699_story.html) on the George Washington Bridge.

Who else would be acceptable to the GOP establishment? Certainly not Sen. Rand Paul (Ky.). Rick Santorum, Mike Huckabee and Ohio Gov. John Kasich all had their glory days in the last century. Carly Fiorina has never held elective office. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, Rick Perry, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.) have come and gone.

What Trump has done is call out the establishment on years of dishonest rhetoric. Progressives often asked why so many working-class whites went against their own economic interests by supporting the GOP. The answer is that Republicans appealed to these voters on cultural grounds, subtly exploiting their resentments and fears.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-donald-trump-is-destroying-the-republican-party/2015/12/28/747668f6-ad9e-11e5-9ab0-884d1cc4b33e_story.html

Peter1469
12-29-2015, 10:17 PM
The GOP destroyed itself by totally ignoring the people who voted them into office.

Cigar
12-29-2015, 10:19 PM
The GOP destroyed itself by totally ignoring the people who voted them into office.

So here's my question, either the GOP Establishment excepts Donald Trump and thus loses an important identity or they go against their base and lose their support in the future, what's the right choice?

Peter1469
12-29-2015, 10:26 PM
So here's my question, either the GOP Establishment excepts Donald Trump and thus loses an important identity or they go against their base and lose their support in the future, what's the right choice?

I am not in the GOP; also I am not sure that I understand the question.

Cigar
12-29-2015, 10:30 PM
I am not in the GOP; also I am not sure that I understand the question.

Ok maybe if I said it this way, Donald J Trump is the GOPs own Monster that their Base Loves ... so what are they going to do? Embrace him as the standard or not?

Green Arrow
12-29-2015, 10:38 PM
That's a little premature, don't you think? They control both houses of Congress, 31 out of 50 governorships, and most of them poll pretty well against Hillary Clinton.

Doesn't sound like a party that has been destroyed.

Cigar
12-29-2015, 10:41 PM
That's a little premature, don't you think? They control both houses of Congress, 31 out of 50 governorships, and most of them poll pretty well against Hillary Clinton.

Doesn't sound like a party that has been destroyed.

This Thread has nothing to do with ANYONE ELSE but Donald J Trump and his Impact on the Republican Party

Green Arrow
12-29-2015, 10:45 PM
This Thread has nothing to do with ANYONE ELSE but Donald J Trump and his Impact on the Republican Party

Yep, and I responded to that. Sorry it made you wet your girl panties, but it is what it is.

Cigar
12-29-2015, 10:49 PM
Well, so much for the new Rules ... :rollseyes:

Safety
12-29-2015, 10:54 PM
Yep, and I responded to that. Sorry it made you wet your girl panties, but it is what it is.

TB'd by OP

Cigar
12-29-2015, 11:14 PM
Actually Mods, you can close the thread, there's not point in playing this game anymore.

Tahuyaman
12-29-2015, 11:54 PM
Ok maybe if I said it this way, Donald J Trump is the GOPs own Monster that their Base Loves ... so what are they going to do? Embrace him as the standard or not?

How are you going to adjust your thinking when he doesn't win the nomination?

Tahuyaman
12-29-2015, 11:56 PM
Safety is trying to rescue Cigar here. Typical.

Captain Obvious
12-30-2015, 12:20 AM
^^Wiper of other people's bottoms

Captain Obvious
12-30-2015, 12:21 AM
Trump has destroyed the GOP.

That's why he's so popular with conservatives.

Safety
12-30-2015, 12:49 AM

Before you make yourself look more ignorant, read up on the rules on how the OP can request the threadban of anyone in their thread.

:rollseyes:

ThaiBoxer
12-30-2015, 01:48 AM
The Republicans have been on their way out for a while. Trump is just making it happen faster

Chris
12-30-2015, 10:53 AM

This is a tPF thread where the OP can TB on request. See explanation here: http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/55839-Forum-Change-Open-tPF-Discussion-Rules-to-All-of-Forum-but-Rants-Pub-and-Hole

Tahuyaman
12-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Before you make yourself look more ignorant, read up on the rules on how the OP can request the threadban of anyone in their thread.

:rollseyes:

Wow....

Safety
12-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Yep, reading is fundamental....

Tahuyaman
12-30-2015, 10:59 AM
Nice funny way to start......

Cigar
12-30-2015, 11:03 AM
Nice funny way to start......

I'll give you an opportunity; would you like to debate or convince me that Donald Trump isn't hurting the GOP Brand?

If he's not, when what should the GOP do?

Tahuyaman
12-30-2015, 11:20 AM
I'll give you an opportunity; would you like to debate or convince me that Donald Trump isn't hurting the GOP Brand?

If he's not, when what should the GOP do?

Trump isnt hurting the GOP. The GOP hurt themselves by rejecting conservatism a long time ago. Trump is making a mockery of our political process as a whole.

No one is suddenly rejecting the GOP because of him.

Trump will not win the nomination anyway. How will your narrative change then?

Bo-4
12-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Gene Robinson is brilliant - and correct about 99% of the time.

Btw.. i actually buried them in 2014 - that was the beginning of the end - time for last rites.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/57/7a/d4/577ad41f2cf188b7729644cb327ca719.jpg

texan
12-30-2015, 01:04 PM

What identity are you referring to they will lose? Also, why do you think he only represents the thoughts and concerns of the tea party?

Cigar
12-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Trump isnt hurting the GOP. The GOP hurt themselves by rejecting conservatism a long time ago. Trump is making a mockery of our political process as a whole.

No one is suddenly rejecting the GOP because of him.

Trump will not win the nomination anyway. How will your narrative change then?

I kinda agree with you ...

The Base wanted Blood after Obama was Elected and The GOP couldn't deliver.

As far as me, I don't have a good choice either. If was forced to Vote today, I'd hold my nose and Vote for Sanders.

If Hillary gets the Nomination, I'll hold my nose and Vote for Clinton.

Cigar
12-30-2015, 01:44 PM
What identity are you referring to they will lose? Also, why do you think he only represents the thoughts and concerns of the tea party?

Conservative Family Values ...

http://media.cagle.com/16/2015/12/30/173514_600.jpg

http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/CurryT/2015/CurryT20151230_low.jpg

texan
12-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Gene Robinson is brilliant - and correct about 99% of the time.

Btw.. i actually buried them in 2014 - that was the beginning of the end - time for last rites.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/57/7a/d4/577ad41f2cf188b7729644cb327ca719.jpg

Obama Buried al Qaeda to last election how is that working out?

And while you were at the funeral:

The Democrats took their final drubbing of the 2014 midterm election Dec. 6 with the decisive defeat of Sen. Mary Landrieu in the Louisiana Senate runoff. The election of U.S. Rep. Bill Cassidy means Republicans will hold 54 seats in the new Senate.
Assessing the Democratic plight, one-time Republican consultant turned news analyst Matthew Dowd said President Barack Obama had overseen historic losses for his party.
"President Obama has demonstrated he’s very good at winning his own elections," Dowd said on ABC’s This Week (http://abcn.ws/120Yt1E) on Dec. 7, 2014. "But in modern times, he has lost more members of the House and more members of the Senate than any president ever has lost."

You would think they would just stay dead.

Peter1469
12-30-2015, 04:31 PM

The Establishment is going to reject Trump. The Establishment doesn't care about the base now, yesterday, or an any point in the past- and they are not going to start now. That goes for (D) and (R).

Bo-4
12-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Obama Buried al Qaeda to last election how is that working out?

And while you were at the funeral:

The Democrats took their final drubbing of the 2014 midterm election Dec. 6 with the decisive defeat of Sen. Mary Landrieu in the Louisiana Senate runoff. The election of U.S. Rep. Bill Cassidy means Republicans will hold 54 seats in the new Senate.
Assessing the Democratic plight, one-time Republican consultant turned news analyst Matthew Dowd said President Barack Obama had overseen historic losses for his party.
"President Obama has demonstrated he’s very good at winning his own elections," Dowd said on ABC’s This Week (http://abcn.ws/120Yt1E) on Dec. 7, 2014. "But in modern times, he has lost more members of the House and more members of the Senate than any president ever has lost."

You would think they would just stay dead.

AQ is next to dead yes that's true texan.

Y'all should have listened to SpongeReince PriebPants' 2012 GOP autopsy report and taken note.

Instead, ya can't stop repealing Obamacare, wasting taxpayer money on Ben Ghazi investigations, yammering about female reproductive rights and fer-ners.

Why? Because you refuse to turn your backs on teabaggers & social cons.

Hence? ...

Your Trumpenstein!! :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMspm9pUYAEmPi2.jpg

texan
12-30-2015, 04:45 PM
This al Qaeda? This Taliban?

‘Probably the largest’ al-Qaeda training camp ever destroyed in Afghanistan
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/10/30/probably-the-largest-al-qaeda-training-camp-ever-destroyed-in-afghanistan/

Top U.S. general may seek more troops for Afghanistan
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/12/29/gen-john-campbell-afghanistan-taliban-isil/78033970/

US military strikes large al Qaeda training camps in southern Afghanistan (http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2015/10/us-military-strikes-large-al-qaeda-training-camps-in-southern-afghanistan.php)
http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2015/10/us-military-strikes-large-al-qaeda-training-camps-in-southern-afghanistan.php

The sound "almost dead."

Bo-4
12-30-2015, 05:05 PM
This al Qaeda? This Taliban?

‘Probably the largest’ al-Qaeda training camp ever destroyed in Afghanistan
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/10/30/probably-the-largest-al-qaeda-training-camp-ever-destroyed-in-afghanistan/

Top U.S. general may seek more troops for Afghanistan

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/12/29/gen-john-campbell-afghanistan-taliban-isil/78033970/

US military strikes large al Qaeda training camps in southern Afghanistan (http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2015/10/us-military-strikes-large-al-qaeda-training-camps-in-southern-afghanistan.php)

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2015/10/us-military-strikes-large-al-qaeda-training-camps-in-southern-afghanistan.php

The sound "almost dead."

Oh great, thanks for the good news about the training camp .. now they barely have a pulse.

PS: Your first link (USAToday) has nothing to do with AQ.

Tahuyaman
12-30-2015, 05:17 PM
I kinda agree with you ...

The Base wanted Blood after Obama was Elected and The GOP couldn't deliver.

As far as me, I don't have a good choice either. If was forced to Vote today, I'd hold my nose and Vote for Sanders.

If Hillary gets the Nomination, I'll hold my nose and Vote for Clinton.

The GOP compromised the conservative principles they claim to represent long before Obama came on the scene.

Unlike you, I will not "hold my nose" to vote for anyone. I will not compromise my beliefs for partisan reasons. Your position is what has created this current mess.

maineman
12-30-2015, 05:54 PM
If people don't vote - even if it is to vote for the lesser of two evils - they have ZERO right to gripe when the greater of two evils is elected.

Not voting is like closing your eyes, putting your fingers in your ears and screaming "LALALALALALALALALALA" really loud as if that will make the problem go away.

The ONLY way things get better is if people of good will work, at the grass roots level, to incrementally make things better. Those who do nothing but sit back and refuse to vote for anyone because it might "compromise their beliefs" abdicate their role as citizens, imho.

Tahuyaman
12-30-2015, 05:59 PM
If people don't vote - even if it is to vote for the lesser of two evils - they have ZERO right to gripe when the greater of two evils is elected....

I've never bought that nonsensical argument. No one should be forced or required to compromise their principles to vote. And because you won't, doesn't mean you lose any of your rights.

That argument is just another way to condone or justify partisanship. It's absurd.

maineman
12-30-2015, 06:03 PM
how can you legitimately complain about who the people elect when you purposely refuse to cast a vote in that process?

If you really are disappointed with the choices this election cycle, run in the primary next election, get on the ballot and convince the voters that YOU'RE the better option than the incumbent. If you won't do that, and you won't vote.... you're just a whiner who offers nothing to the process.

MisterVeritis
12-30-2015, 06:03 PM
When Trump wins the Republican party might be revived. Eight years of a good Trump/Cruz presidency followed by eight years of Cruz/? could revive the nation.

We will still need a Constitutional Article V convention of states to propose amendments.

Tahuyaman
12-30-2015, 06:07 PM
Trump may actually show the GOP establishment that it was a mistake to alienate themselves from the traditional conservative base.

Trump is what you get when you try to be all things to all people as the GOP has tried to do for the last coulple of decades.

Peter1469
12-30-2015, 11:20 PM
When Trump wins the Republican party might be revived. Eight years of a good Trump/Cruz presidency followed by eight years of Cruz/? could revive the nation.

We will still need a Constitutional Article V convention of states to propose amendments.

An Article V convention doesn't propose. If it passes constitutional changes, they are law. Congress has no say.

maineman
12-30-2015, 11:26 PM
An Article V convention doesn't propose. If it passes constitutional changes, they are law. Congress has no law.

actually, it takes 2/3 of the states to CONVENE an Article V Convention, but, even after the convention proposes amendments, those amendments must still be ratified by 3/4 of the state legislatures in order to become an amended part of our constitution.

Peter1469
12-31-2015, 07:15 AM
actually, it takes 2/3 of the states to CONVENE an Article V Convention, but, even after the convention proposes amendments, those amendments must still be ratified by 3/4 of the state legislatures in order to become an amended part of our constitution.

My point is that Congress has no say in the matter.

maineman
12-31-2015, 07:37 AM
that is absolutely correct.

Cigar
12-31-2015, 10:31 AM
The GOP compromised the conservative principles they claim to represent long before Obama came on the scene.

Unlike you, I will not "hold my nose" to vote for anyone. I will not compromise my beliefs for partisan reasons. Your position is what has created this current mess.

I learned long ago when I was a child, that I can't and won't always get my way. I learned how to "Compromise" and I learned that "Compromise" is NOT a dirty word. Therefore I know that no mater what candidate I vote for, I will not get EVERYTHING I want.

Something a lot people should have learned at an early age.

MisterVeritis
12-31-2015, 10:32 AM
An Article V convention doesn't propose. If it passes constitutional changes, they are law. Congress has no law.
You clearly do not understand the process. The proposed amendments are returned to the states for ratification. 3/4ths of the states must ratify an amendment before it modifies the Constitution. The Congress is completely bypassed. Given that the Congress along with the Executive branch and the courts are corrupt restoration passes to the states.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 10:34 AM
I learned long ago when I was a child, that I can't and won't always get my way. I learned how to "Compromise" and I learned that "Compromise" is NOT a dirty word. Therefore I know that no mater what candidate I vote for, I will not get EVERYTHING I want.

Something a lot people should have learned at an early age.

principles are meaningless if you are willing to compromise them whenever it's convenient.

Cigar
12-31-2015, 10:43 AM
principles are meaningless if you are willing to compromise them whenever it's convenient.

Congratulations on standing on principles and NOT standing in the Oval Office :laugh:

Peter1469
12-31-2015, 11:15 AM
You clearly do not understand the process. The proposed amendments are returned to the states for ratification. 3/4ths of the states must ratify an amendment before it modifies the Constitution. The Congress is completely bypassed. Given that the Congress along with the Executive branch and the courts are corrupt restoration passes to the states.

My point was to say congress has no say. I did not intend to outline the process the states go through.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 11:41 AM
Congratulations on standing on principles and NOT standing in the Oval Office :laugh: Why in the world would I vote for someone if I do not approve of the positions they promote? Because of a party affiliation? Really?

Cigar
12-31-2015, 12:16 PM
Why in the world would I vote for someone if I do not approve of the positions they promote? Because of a party affiliation? Really?

I agree ... that's why I don't Vote Republican

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 12:29 PM
I agree ... that's why I don't Vote Republican

I have no issue with someone who votes for a liberal if they are voting for a candidate becasue they honestly believe in the positions that candidate holds.

This "lesser of the two evils" thing or voting based on party affiliation is the reason we get stuck with incompetent leaders.

The Xl
12-31-2015, 12:34 PM
The dems are running a two person primary consisting of an elderly socialist and an establishment criminal, who they're trying desperately to protect from said socialist.

Both parties are in complete shambles.

MisterVeritis
12-31-2015, 01:22 PM
The dems are running a two person primary consisting of an elderly socialist and an establishment criminal, who they're trying desperately to protect from said socialist.

Both parties are in complete shambles.
You say that as if it was a bad thing.

Go Trump 2016
Hillary for Prison 2017.