PDA

View Full Version : How Donald Trump Answers A Question

Chris
12-30-2015, 08:32 PM
A simple linguistic analysis of Trump speak, how it's 4th grade level, incoherent, and pointless, but still resonates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aFo_BV-UzI

texan
12-30-2015, 09:49 PM
First of all it is not a 4th grade level, secondly it resonates because its straight talk, its street talk, it is the way people not in front of cameras talk in the majority of this country.

I am sick and tired of the "self tabbed" smart people trying to cut everyone down.

GTH

BTW I have met many "smart people" that were generally clueless unless you need a term paper written. How did SOOOOOOO many uneducated americans become millionaires? Isn't that reserved for the "smart people?" Oh yes the smart people are the ones with 19 trillion in debt, thanks ivy leaguers.

texan
12-30-2015, 10:04 PM
BTW what is your net worth Chris?

Mister D
12-30-2015, 10:08 PM
While I d find the attacks on Trump's business acumen preposterous (it's happened several times here) he was in fact born into wealth. It does indeed take money to make money. That's a fact.

Tahuyaman
12-30-2015, 10:26 PM
First of all it is not a 4th grade level, secondly it resonates because its straight talk, its street talk, it is the way people not in front of cameras talk in the majority of this country.

I am sick and tired of the "self tabbed" smart people trying to cut everyone down.

GTH

BTW I have met many "smart people" that were generally clueless unless you need a term paper written. How did SOOOOOOO many uneducated americans become millionaires? Isn't that reserved for the "smart people?" Oh yes the smart people are the ones with 19 trillion in debt, thanks ivy leaguers.

I would say he speaks like the regular guys you see in the local barber shop.

Dr. Who
12-30-2015, 10:32 PM
I think that the OP makes a great point about Trump being a salesman. It's true, he's not a politician and sales technique is well known and it works particularly well with the unsophisticated buyer. People aware of the technique are less easy to persuade. One of the primary tools in a salesman's bag of tricks is to never give a buyer the opportunity to say no, but to continually shift the pitch to suit the buyers concerns.

Chris
12-31-2015, 06:55 AM

GTH

He speaks at a measurably 4th grade level. In the video Flesch–Kincaid readability test is used.

Peter1469
12-31-2015, 07:30 AM
He is appealing to people's emotions.

I have pointed out after each of the debates that when he answers a foreign policy question he literally says nothing close to intelligent about foreign policy- he rambles. Typically nobody calls him on it, which I find odd.

Common
12-31-2015, 08:50 AM
I read something this morning that I didnt post because to be frank I just didnt want to go through it all today lol

I read that Donald Trump has a good number of democrat support that isnt being reflected in the polls because they dont vote in gop primaries. I have no idea if thats true. I do believe that trump has garnered some independent support

Chris
12-31-2015, 08:58 AM

I have pointed out after each of the debates that when he answers a foreign policy question he literally says nothing close to intelligent about foreign policy- he rambles. Typically nobody calls him on it, which I find odd.

Right, the video highlights how he arranges and repeats words for emotive effect:

http://i.snag.gy/flfp2.jpg

Peter1469
12-31-2015, 09:09 AM
I read something this morning that I didnt post because to be frank I just didnt want to go through it all today lol

I read that Donald Trump has a good number of democrat support that isnt being reflected in the polls because they dont vote in gop primaries. I have no idea if thats true. I do believe that trump has garnered some independent support

I believe that. I have mentioned it a couple times before.

Chris
12-31-2015, 10:01 AM

I believe that. I have mentioned it a couple times before.

@ http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/upshot/donald-trumps-strongest-supporters-a-certain-kind-of-democrat.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0

Basically, the NYT is saying Reps registered as Dems who are concentrated in South, Appalachia and industrial North.

suds00
12-31-2015, 10:43 AM
we can do be tter

Bo-4
12-31-2015, 12:01 PM
That was a brilliant analysis of Trumpspeak .. thanks!

Bo-4
12-31-2015, 12:03 PM

Chris nailed their locations. They aren't really Dems .. just those who haven't bothered to change their political affiliation and rarely vote Dem.

And then there are guys like me who root for him simply because he can't win a national election.

texan
12-31-2015, 12:05 PM

I admit he often says nothing like all of them, makes him no different, but I have seen many interviews where he has been called on it. Setting that aside what do you want him to say the political speak the rest give?

domer76
12-31-2015, 12:13 PM
BTW what is your net worth Chris?

WTF does that have to do with anything?

Other than, perhaps, measuring Chris against someone who talks to you as if you're 12.

domer76
12-31-2015, 12:14 PM

Yep. But his barber needs to be fired!

Bo-4
12-31-2015, 12:29 PM

I guess, if yer barber's name is Floyd and yer neighbors are Gomer, Goober, Ernest T Bass and Otis the Drunk. :)

http://www.socialmediahound.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/andy-and-floyd.jpg

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 12:30 PM
Yep. But his barber needs to be fired!

I haven't had a haircut in over a year, so ........

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 12:32 PM
I guess, if yer barber's name is Floyd and yer neighbors are Gomer, Goober, Ernest T Bass and Otis the Drunk. :)

http://www.socialmediahound.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/andy-and-floyd.jpg

Do you believe you are insulting me with your anti Trump barbs? The Trump supporters here know I've been quite vocal in my disapproval of him.

Bo-4
12-31-2015, 12:32 PM
While I d find the attacks on Trump's business acumen preposterous (it's happened several times here) he was in fact born into wealth. It does indeed take money to make money. That's a fact.

Yep, an inheritance of around 120 million is what one could reasonably call "a leg up". ;-)

Bo-4
12-31-2015, 12:35 PM
I think that the OP makes a great point about Trump being a salesman. It's true, he's not a politician and sales technique is well known and it works particularly well with the unsophisticated buyer. People aware of the technique are less easy to persuade. One of the primary tools in a salesman's bag of tricks is to never give a buyer the opportunity to say no, but to continually shift the pitch to suit the buyers concerns.

I'm in sales and that was spot on.

Another guy who mastered the simple talk in short sentences that appealed to many was George W Bush.

Bushie wasn't nearly the salesman Trump is, but the simpleton stuff still sells to simpletons.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 12:37 PM
Yep, an inheritance of around 120 million is what one could reasonably call "a leg up". ;-)

I know Donald Trump came from a fairly well to do family, but I do believe you are overstating that wealth which was passed on to him.

Whatever it was, he didn't just sit on it and live the high life. He turned millions into billions.

Thats still not a reason to vote for him for POTUS, but I would hire him to build a shopping mall.

Chris
12-31-2015, 12:37 PM
I think his speech style is deliberate. He's not stupid.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 12:40 PM
I think his speech style is deliberate. He's not stupid.

Of course it's deliberate. It's keeping the media focused on him right now. The media is breathlessly waiting for the next "outrageous" bloviation.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 12:41 PM
.... the simpleton stuff still sells to simpletons.

"Yes we can" and "Hope and Change" are two prime examples of how the simpletons responsed

Bo-4
12-31-2015, 12:44 PM
I know Donald Trump came from a fairly well to do family, but I do believe you are overstating that wealth which was passed on to him.

Whatever it was, he didn't just sit on it and live the high life. He turned millions into billions.

Thats still not a reason to vote for him for POTUS, but I would hire him to build a shopping mall.

The estimates range from 40 to 160 million. And long before Fred died 16 years ago, he made Donald "a few small loans of a million or so".

As Mittens Romney so famously said - "borrow money from your parents and start a business!"

:D

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 12:53 PM
There's one thing very contradictory about liberals and it illustrated perfectly by two people. Donald Trump and Paris Hilton.

They claim to only despise the wealthy when they have the wealth handed to them and do nothing with it. They continually use Paris Hilton as their prime example.

Donald Trump inherited wealth and did the exact opposite. He did things with the money that his father couldn't dream of. Liberals normally claim to respect that.

Dr. Who
12-31-2015, 12:55 PM
"Yes we can" and "Hope and Change" are two prime examples of how the simpletons responsed
Yes, but that was pretty standard. Every presidential candidate has had a slogan during the campaign. Bush had "Yes, America Can", "Moving America Forward", "Leave no Child Behind", "Real Plans for Real People" and "Reformer With Results".

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 12:56 PM
As Mittens Romney so famously said - "borrow money from your parents and start a business!"

:D

what's wrong with borrowing money from your parents? The first home I ever bought, I was a PFC in the Army. I borrowed the money for the down payment from my parents. Most parents love to help their children when they can.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 12:57 PM
Yes, but that was pretty standard. Every presidential candidate has had a slogan during the campaign. Bush had "Yes, America Can", "Moving America Forward", "Leave no Child Behind", "Real Plans for Real People" and "Reformer With Results".

You made my point. Some people believe slogans are not a two way street.

Bo-4
12-31-2015, 12:58 PM

And then came "Healthy Forests" and "Clear Skies" initiatives. Of course Frank Luntz coined those babies - not Bushie.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 12:59 PM
The estimates range from 40 to 160 million.

Thats a pretty wide range. I would think one could narrow it down a bit if they actually had a clue.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 01:00 PM
You made my point. Some people believe slogans are not a two way street.

like this guy vvv.

And then came "Healthy Forests" and "Clear Skies" initiatives. Of course Frank Luntz coined those babies - not Bushie.

domer76
12-31-2015, 01:05 PM
I haven't had a haircut in over a year, so ........

Did I mention anything about your barber?

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 01:07 PM
Did I mention anything about your barber?

Just noting that I haven't been in a barber shop for more than a year, so maybe things have changed.

do you have an issue with that?

domer76
12-31-2015, 01:10 PM
Just noting that I haven't been in a barber shop for more than a year, so maybe things have changed.

do you have an issue with that?

Nope. My comment was about Trump and that shit on top of his head.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 01:14 PM
Nope. My comment was about Trump and that $#@! on top of his head.

uh.... Is there a point which is relevant to my comment about his words are something that you normally hear at the corner barber shop?

domer76
12-31-2015, 01:27 PM
uh.... Is there a point which is relevant to my comment about his words are something that you normally hear at the corner barber shop?

Jesus Christ, T. Don't be so fucking defensive about everything I post.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 01:32 PM
WTF is wrong with you anyway?

Mac-7
12-31-2015, 01:37 PM
I think that the OP makes a great point about Trump being a salesman. It's true, he's not a politician and sales technique is well known

and it works particularly well with the unsophisticated buyer.

People aware of the technique are less easy to persuade. .

Not sophisticated like you and the other libs on this board?

MisterVeritis
12-31-2015, 01:39 PM
Because of his ability to make his points in ways that people remember he will be the nominee and in about a year, the President.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 02:01 PM
He makes his points in a memorable way, but his support is not going to swell beyond what is is right now. He still has very high negatives throughout the country.

Bo-4
12-31-2015, 02:28 PM
WTF is wrong with you anyway?

Who?

Try threaded mode or at least including the original quote.

PolWatch
12-31-2015, 03:32 PM
Trump is a great public speaker....he articiluates the problems plainly so everyone can understand what he is talking about. The problem (imo)? He offers no solutions except to tell everyone how smart & rich he is. He is not questioned because his responses to anyone who actually question him are vicious. Anyone remember his remarks to Megan Kelly in response to her questions?

MisterVeritis
12-31-2015, 03:36 PM
Trump is a great public speaker....he articiluates the problems plainly so everyone can understand what he is talking about. The problem (imo)? He offers no solutions except to tell everyone how smart & rich he is. He is not questioned because his responses to anyone who actually question him are vicious. Anyone remember his remarks to Megan Kelly in response to her questions?
And yet he will still win.

What does he intend?

1) Build an effective southern wall.
2) Detain and deport illegal aliens.
3) Prevent more Muslims from coming here.
4) Send the Muslim invaders back to Syria (or wherever Obama dredged them up from).
5) Simplify the tax code.
6) Win instead of lose at every negotiation.

1-4 are sufficient for him to win.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Who?

Try threaded mode or at least including the original quote.
it was meant for domer, but go ahead. Consider a question for you.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 03:55 PM

He doesn't really articulate the problem specifically. He just makes generalized comments. He says there is a problem somewhere and if we elect him the problem wil go away. He doesn't tell us how it will go away just that he will make it "great" again.

Truth Detector
12-31-2015, 03:57 PM

So Obama didn't sell you a bill of goods called "hope and change?" Damned funny stuff; when Obama does it, it is intellectual, when the TrumpTard does it, it's a bunch of crap.

Dr. Who
12-31-2015, 03:58 PM
So Obama didn't sell you a bill of goods called "hope and change?" Damned funny stuff; when Obama does it, it is intellectual, when the TrumpTard does it, it's a bunch of crap.
I never voted for Obama.

Truth Detector
12-31-2015, 03:59 PM
I'm in sales and that was spot on.

Another guy who mastered the simple talk in short sentences that appealed to many was George W Bush.

Bushie wasn't nearly the salesman Trump is, but the simpleton stuff still sells to simpletons.

Nothing gets "simpler" than "hope and change" dude.....NOTHING.

PolWatch
12-31-2015, 04:00 PM
I never voted for Obama.

:wink:

Safety
12-31-2015, 04:00 PM

GTH

Why are you so angry?

Truth Detector
12-31-2015, 04:04 PM

"Yes We Can" – Barack Obama campaign chant, 2008
"Change We Can Believe In." Also, simply: "Change." – 2008 US presidential campaign slogan of Barack Obama during the Democratic primaries.
"Change We Need." and "Change." – 2008 U.S. presidential campaign slogan of Barack Obama during the general election.
"Hope" – 2008 U.S. presidential campaign slogan of Barack Obama during the general election.
"Forward" – 2012 U.S. Presidential slogan of Barack Obama.

Truth Detector
12-31-2015, 04:05 PM

How was Obama any different?

Truth Detector
12-31-2015, 04:06 PM
I never voted for Obama.

Really? Who did you vote for?

PolWatch
12-31-2015, 04:09 PM
Obama was a great public speaker also....that was how a relatively unknown was elected (he gave a great speech at the DNC convention when Kerry was nominated). The difference was he used positive instead of negative images.

Dr. Who
12-31-2015, 04:24 PM
Really? Who did you vote for?
I didn't.

domer76
12-31-2015, 04:26 PM
it was meant for domer, but go ahead. Consider a question for you.

Are we a little sensitive today, T? Especially about your hair? What? Does it look like Trump's? If so, good reason to be sensitive.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 04:39 PM
Are we a little sensitive today, T? Especially about your hair? What? Does it look like Trump's? If so, good reason to be sensitive.

How did you extrapolate that from my comment?

I guess you see things in odd ways.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 04:42 PM
Obama was a great public speaker also....that was how a relatively unknown was elected (he gave a great speech at the DNC convention when Kerry was nominated). The difference was he used positive instead of negative images.

Hes a great speaker when delivering prepared remarks with the aid of a TelePrompTer . Left to communicate off the cuff, it's not pretty at all.

domer76
12-31-2015, 05:27 PM

Well, let's review. YOU bring up the fact that YOU haven't had a haircut in over a year. I make the observation that you seem to be a little touchy and defensive today and ask if it's about your hair, because earlier, you got a little sensitive about my comment on Trump's hair fiasco.

Why are you sensitive about your hair, T? Does it look as ridiculous as The Donald's?

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 05:36 PM
Man, it's cold out, but not a cloud in the sky today. It's beautiful outside.

Peter1469
12-31-2015, 05:53 PM
It was somewhat cloudy today, but at least no rain. It has rained the last week or so.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 05:58 PM
I've had frost on my windshield the last two mornings. This cold snap needs to
end. Still sunny skies. The mountain view from my deck is incredible.

Bo-4
12-31-2015, 06:02 PM

Visions of the Civil War era my friend.

There IS no cure for ODS Phase Ten

Bo-4
12-31-2015, 06:22 PM
Well, let's review. YOU bring up the fact that YOU haven't had a haircut in over a year. I make the observation that you seem to be a little touchy and defensive today and ask if it's about your hair, because earlier, you got a little sensitive about my comment on Trump's hair fiasco.

Why are you sensitive about your hair, T? Does it look as ridiculous as The Donald's?

Gross huh, i imagine a Ted K kinda guy but worser.

EEEK

domer76
12-31-2015, 07:21 PM
Gross huh, i imagine a Ted K kinda guy but worser.

EEEK

When you're on welfare, I guess you don't need to dress for success.

Going downtown to watch the spud drop tonight?

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 07:36 PM
Visions of the Civil War era my friend.

There IS no cure for ODS Phase Ten

im hoping this cold snap breaks soon so I can take down my Christmas lights without falling off the roof.

Bo-4
01-01-2016, 09:15 AM
When you're on welfare, I guess you don't need to dress for success.

Going downtown to watch the spud drop tonight?

Lol, i'm gonna do the spud drop one of these years. Looks goofy, but kinda fun! :)

Bo-4
01-01-2016, 09:17 AM
im hoping this cold snap breaks soon so I can take down my Christmas lights without falling off the roof.

Hasn't been over 25 degrees here in B-town in past 10 days or so.. waiting for at least mid-30s to get mine (don't gotta get on the roof to reach 'em thank God).

Mister D
01-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Lol, i'm gonna do the spud drop one of these years. Looks goofy, but kinda fun! :)

What is it with you people and potatoes?

Mister D
01-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Hasn't been over 25 degrees here in B-town in past 10 days or so.. waiting for at least mid-30s to get mine (don't gotta get on the roof to reach 'em thank God).

We've been largely spared so far. hasn't bee in the 20s at all during the day. Not sure if it was ever that low at night so far either.