PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Liberal rag says: Afghan Taliban’s Reach Is Widest Since 2001, U.N. Says

texan
12-31-2015, 06:03 PM
Remember the just war, the important war everyone agreed about on the dem side?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/12/world/asia/afghanistan-taliban-united-nations.html?_r=0

Kind of going un-noticed!

Not For Long.

texan
12-31-2015, 06:05 PM
Is Obama already a private citizen?

He manages like he is.................Let's argue about deportations............BTW let me add that we will soon hear about the massive deportations in 2016 to provide cover for Billary, but don't worry they won't really be happening. it will be something like this whipped out.

Peter1469
12-31-2015, 06:10 PM
Remember the just war, the important war everyone agreed about on the dem side?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/12/world/asia/afghanistan-taliban-united-nations.html?_r=0

Kind of going un-noticed!

Not For Long.

Our war against the Taliban was to punish them for harboring al Qaeda. We succeeded in that goal.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 06:22 PM
Our war against the Taliban was to punish them for harboring al Qaeda. We succeeded in that goal.

And that success seems to be quite temporary.

Peter1469
12-31-2015, 06:26 PM
And that success seems to be quite temporary.

We punished them- kicked them out of power for over a decade. That was the goal.

Our stated goal was not to destroy the Taliban.

texan
12-31-2015, 06:35 PM
Top U.S. general may seek more troops for Afghanistan
Tell this guy.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/12/29/gen-john-campbell-afghanistan-taliban-isil/78033970/

texan
12-31-2015, 06:36 PM
It don't sound over to me.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 06:53 PM
We punished them- kicked them out of power for over a decade. That was the goal.

Our stated goal was not to destroy the Taliban.

Our goal was to punish them and allow them to return to their old ways? Seems like a waste of time, money and manpower to me.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 06:55 PM
That's one of the problems now days. Our goal is no longer to destroy and totally defeat our enemies. We just try to " contain" them.

Either you fight a war with the intent to totally defeat your enemy, or you don't fight it at all.

Peter1469
12-31-2015, 07:23 PM
Top U.S. general may seek more troops for Afghanistan

Tell this guy.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/12/29/gen-john-campbell-afghanistan-taliban-isil/78033970/

Tell him what?

The mission was to destroy al Qaeda in Afghanistan (we did that, if you consider pushing them out to meet that requirement) and to punish the Taliban as I said above. We did that.

To now say we must prevent the Taliban from regaining power is mission creep.

There is some al Aeada resurgence- we can keep a base to operate out of to go after those guys. It is time to let the Afghans govern themselves.

And if we aren't forcing our RoE on them, they will be more successful against the Taliban. One of the largest, if not largest, ethnic group in Afghanistan largely supports the Taliban.

Peter1469
12-31-2015, 07:24 PM
Our goal was to punish them and allow them to return to their old ways? Seems like a waste of time, money and manpower to me.

If Japan decided to go back to militarism and invades China, will we say we failed in WWII?

Open ended military commitments are unsustainable and not realistic.

Peter1469
12-31-2015, 07:25 PM
That's one of the problems now days. Our goal is no longer to destroy and totally defeat our enemies. We just try to " contain" them.

Either you fight a war with the intent to totally defeat your enemy, or you don't fight it at all.

By that standard the US would have fought zero times since WWII.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2015, 07:26 PM
By that standard the US would have fought zero times since WWII.

correct.

donttread
01-01-2016, 11:01 AM
It don't sound over to me.

That's because we declared the war "over" but stayed there fighting. Short of making Afghanistan and Iraq the 51st and 52 state , return to instability was inevitable. Predictable by a HS student who took an AP course in cultural anthropology.

Tahuyaman
01-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Is Obama already a private citizen?

He manages like he is.................Let's argue about deportations............BTW let me add that we will soon hear about the massive deportations in 2016 to provide cover for Billary, but don't worry they won't really be happening. it will be something like this whipped out.

Obama is and has been just marking the days hoping and praying he can hand off the problems he's let get worse. Honestly, it takes a real committed person to step up and actually campaign and ask to take over cleaning up the mess he's leaving.