PDA

View Full Version : Perceptions

JimHolden231
01-01-2016, 04:01 AM
I read on a sci fi and fantasy themed forum a few years ago where one user said that HBO is too sophisticated and thought that the sci fi/space opera setting was too silly for their audience. Is that true? Did Syfy's abandonment of the sci fi genre and Sharknado damage the genre's image? Although I like Star Wars I have to ask this, do you think it causes adults to write off sci fi or space opera as "kids" stuff? Will serious shows like BSG and now The Expanse change these network execs minds? I have heard someone said they think The Expanse will do wonders for the space opera genre.

AeonPax
01-01-2016, 04:38 AM
I read on a sci fi and fantasy themed forum a few years ago where one user said that HBO is too sophisticated and thought that the sci fi/space opera setting was too silly for their audience. Is that true? Did Syfy's abandonment of the sci fi genre and Sharknado damage the genre's image? Although I like Star Wars I have to ask this, do you think it causes adults to write off sci fi or space opera as "kids" stuff? Will serious shows like BSG and now The Expanse change these network execs minds? I have heard someone said they think The Expanse will do wonders for the space opera genre.
`
`
There's nothing new on TV. Even with all the hoopla about how technically well done SyFy's "The Expanse" is, it still boils down to nothing more than human drama tropes thrown together using "space" story arc as a background. TNG and BSG did the same thing only their problem was all the damn moralizing they did.

If space opera's is one's thing, then it should be a hit.

Peter1469
01-01-2016, 07:56 AM
Most shows are about the human condition in some sort of interesting setting. Interesting is in the eyes of the beholder.

What sort of unique presentation are you guys looking for?