PDA

View Full Version : Constitutional law professor explains why Calgary Ted's eligibility NOT settled law

Bo-4
01-08-2016, 10:01 AM
We hear that Teahadist Ted was a pretty good student - but apparently he forgot everything he learned.

:~)

http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/watch/why-cruz-s-wh-eligibility-is-not-settled-law-597339715673

exotix
01-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Yeah I saw that ... just goes to show you how fucked-up Cruz is.

Matty
01-08-2016, 10:22 AM
Yeah I saw that ... just goes to show you how fucked-up Cruz is.

Oh! The irony is unbearable.

Bo-4
01-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Oh! The irony is unbearable.

Matty: tPF's Pithy & Profound Poster of the week! :)

Subdermal
01-08-2016, 01:13 PM
We hear that Teahadist Ted was a pretty good student - but apparently he forgot everything he learned.

:~)

http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/watch/why-cruz-s-wh-eligibility-is-not-settled-law-597339715673

Stupid video is stupid. Attempting to criticize Cruz for his comments on SCOTUS is straight asinine. Cruz wasn't saying that the SCOTUS has no place; Cruz was explaining that the SCOTUS has no standing to make law.

At this point, it no longer matters to me whether leftists are honestly too stupid to understand that critical nuance, or are simply ignoring the moral responsibility to properly express the opposing stance - they're POS either way.

And the still more daft leftist proletariat eats it up as though there is substance or meaning there.

Bo-4
01-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Stupid video is stupid. Attempting to criticize Cruz for his comments on SCOTUS is straight asinine. Cruz wasn't saying that the SCOTUS has no place; Cruz was explaining that the SCOTUS has no standing to make law.

At this point, it no longer matters to me whether leftists are honestly too stupid to understand that critical nuance, or are simply ignoring the moral responsibility to properly express the opposing stance - they're POS either way.

And the still more daft leftist proletariat eats it up as though there is substance or meaning there.

Oh my Subby .. that was quite the angry screed.

But wouldn't you think that Harvard Law grad TeaTed would understand the definition of "settled law"?

Don't strain yourself. ;-)

Subdermal
01-08-2016, 01:49 PM

But wouldn't you think that Harvard Law grad TeaTed would understand the definition of "settled law"?

It's laughable that you think the video contained a legitimate argument.

Rebel Son
01-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Doesn't natural born mean "born of two citizens of the US" or "Born within the borders of the US"? Many people have been born of parents abroad while on duty in the service of this nation and are US citizens. I think it much hoopla by the left and msnbc mainly over nothing. All either did was call the right extreme nut jobs when they questioned Obama on it. It's laughable how they are now are over this one in some type smear attack.

Cigar
01-08-2016, 01:57 PM
You know when they've lost the debate ... Attack Attack Attack :laugh:

Bo-4
01-08-2016, 02:01 PM

Of course it did.

That lady is the third constitutional expert (one was Ted's professor at Harvard) i've seen saying that this issue needs to be better defined because it is NOT settled law, particularly in Cruz's situation.

He was a Canadian citizen who didn't actually become an American citizen until 18 months ago.

Of course your idea of a "legitimate legal argument" is from some teabagging squawk radio host who was fired as a prosecutor for malfeasance.

Nice ad-hom attack though .. congrats on that i guess.

Mac-7
01-08-2016, 02:05 PM
The liberal pinhead professor does not know crap.

Only five unelected judges on the supreme court know who is eligible to be president and he aint one of them.

Subdermal
01-08-2016, 02:09 PM
Of course it did.

That lady is the third constitutional expert (one was Ted's professor at Harvard) i've seen saying that this issue needs to be better defined because it is NOT settled law, particularly in Cruz's situation.

He was a Canadian citizen who didn't actually become an American citizen until 18 months ago.

I'll stop here and comment, so you can consult with jellyfish for your next attempt. Cruz didn't just become an American citizen 18 months ago you acorn squash. He was and has been a dual citizen - of the US and Canada - up until 18 months ago, when he dropped his Canadian citizenship.

Of course your idea of a "legitimate legal argument" is from some teabagging squawk radio host who was fired as a prosecutor for malfeasance.

Giving a speech is malfeasance? Or was it simply an example of the intolerant left forcing their ideology on a private person who had a right to do so?

Nice ad-hom attack though .. congrats on that i guess.

What? You have something against jellyfish? :biglaugh:

Bo-4
01-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Doesn't natural born mean "born of two citizens of the US" or "Born within the borders of the US"? Many people have been born of parents abroad while on duty in the service of this nation and are US citizens. I think it much hoopla by the left and msnbc mainly over nothing. All either did was call the right extreme nut jobs when they questioned Obama on it. It's laughable how they are now are over this one in some type smear attack.

The "hoopla" started from the right - first Trump then McCain followed by a couple of other Republicans who hate the guy!

Remember, McCain's case was very different. He was born to US citizens ON a US naval base in Panama. That instantly made him a US citizen.

Quite different than a guy who was born and raised a Canadian citizen who didn't become a US citizen and renounce his Canadian status until 18 months ago.

This all needs to be defined better and actually SETTLED as a constitutional amendment or change or it won't be the last time we deal with it.

Mac-7
01-08-2016, 02:17 PM
The "hoopla" started from the right - first Trump then McCain followed by a couple of other Republicans who hate the guy!

Remember, McCain's case was very different. He was born to US citizens ON a US naval base in Panama. That instantly made him a US citizen.

Quite different than a guy who was born and raised a Canadian citizen who didn't become a US citizen until 18 months ago.

This all needs to be defined better and actually SETTLED as a constitutional amendment or change or it won't be the last time we deal with it.

Being hated by mccain is a plus with republican voters.

They like mccain less than mccain likes cruz

Bo-4
01-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Being hated by mccain is a plus with republican voters.

They like mccain less than mccain likes cruz

Do you have any clue how many times John McCain has been elected as a congressman and senator by REPUBLICANS?

We understand that you define "real Republicans" as only the TeaTards who 17% of the American public approve of at this point.

17% means that Teahadists approve of themselves! ;-)

Cigar
01-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Do you have any clue how many times John McCain has been elected as a congressman and senator by REPUBLICANS?

We understand that you only define "real Republicans" as TeaTards. ;-)

McCain was soiled ... by Da-Azz-Kicking Obama gave him

Rebel Son
01-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Not much of a change in topic really but I think the placement of scotus judges for life a completely unacceptable practice. Doesn't make any difference if a right or left wing president gets them in. To have a job ruling on the lives of every day citizens for the rest of your life............Good lord, the only people who get jobs for life are dictators. Oh.......kinda the same thing I guess.

Bo-4
01-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Not much of a change in topic really but I think the placement of scotus judges for life a completely unacceptable practice. Doesn't make any difference if a right or left wing president gets them in. To have a job ruling on the lives of every day citizens for the rest of your life............Good lord, the only people who get jobs for life are dictators. Oh.......kinda the same thing I guess.

Okay.. i'll join you in recommending a 12 year limit for SCOTUS justices - but with president continuing to appoint them.

Subdermal
01-08-2016, 02:28 PM

Decided in 1940. One parent - who qualifies as such as has Cruz' mother - can confer US citizenship to their child regardless where they were born.

Mac-7
01-08-2016, 02:35 PM

That just shows the power of incumbents.

Rebel Son
01-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Okay.. i'll join you in recommending a 12 year limit for SCOTUS justices - but with president continuing to appoint them.

I can agree on that one. I don't agree with life long politicians either, the framers of the constitution meant that people should do their duty to the country by serving. I don't think there is anything in there about making a career out of it while bilking millions of dollars from the people that goes into their pockets. Just IMO that when you are there for 20 years you wield too much power over others with fresh ideas and ways to combat the current situations. Old people are set in their ways, I know because I'm old. :)

Dr. Who
01-08-2016, 11:16 PM

Don't post personal insults. Please see rule number 2.

zelmo1234
01-08-2016, 11:45 PM

I would think that it would be, Ted would not be the first person to run for president that was not born in the country. McCain being the last. And of course if both parents needed to be Citizens then Obama would not have standing to be president.

I certainly could be wrong, but only time will tell. I certainly think it should be vetted,

zelmo1234
01-08-2016, 11:49 PM
Here is something that also has not been challenged.

The executive (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_(government)) Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows

He Shall hold office? Could it be that Hillary does not have standing?

maineman
01-08-2016, 11:59 PM

I am confused. Do you think that Ted Cruz meets either of those criteria?

maineman
01-09-2016, 12:00 AM

The executive (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_(government)) Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows

run that up the flag pole and see if your wife salutes it.

maineman
01-09-2016, 12:03 AM

I strongly disagree. The continuity provided by lifetime SCOTUS appointments is essential in preventing mob rule.

Common Sense
01-09-2016, 12:07 AM
Where is Orly Taitz these days?

del
01-09-2016, 12:08 AM

yeah, it could also be that i piss chateau d'yquem '76

here, have a glass

del
01-09-2016, 12:09 AM

sleepover at zelmo's

zelmo1234
01-09-2016, 12:11 AM
run that up the flag pole and see if your wife salutes it.

My wife was a rape victim when she was young, She can't stand Hillary for standing up for what Bill did.

So if it stopped her from being President. Not to mention the problems with the ACA and that is not going away unless someone else is president.

maineman
01-09-2016, 12:13 AM
My wife was a rape victim when she was young, She can't stand Hillary for standing up for what Bill did.

So if it stopped her from being President. Not to mention the problems with the ACA and that is not going away unless someone else is president.

so you think that that makes it reasonable to oppose a woman president because the constitution refers to the holder of that office as "he"?

be serious. you're clowning with us, aren't you? you can't be that ditzy.

Bo-4
01-09-2016, 09:04 AM

Oh she's still at it .. here's the last time she made news.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/birther-lawyerdentist-orly-taitz-has-latest-round-of-lawsuits-against-obama-smacked-down-by-texas-judge/

Happily, the courts are growing weary of her BS and she's been hit with penalties and warnings about frivolous lawsuits.

But none of that will stop her until she gets people to believe the authenticity of the Kenyan birth certificate and denies Obama a third term. ;-)

GRUMPY
01-09-2016, 09:08 AM
ted cruz is not a natural born citizen...ted cruz is eligible because we the people have allowed constitutional eligibility to become meaningless...

Peter1469
01-09-2016, 10:38 AM
ted cruz is not a natural born citizen...ted cruz is eligible because we the people have allowed constitutional eligibility to become meaningless...

What standard are you applying? Is there a case that defines the term natural born citizen?

Subdermal
01-09-2016, 10:40 AM
It logical that the reason the root of the word 'naturalization' is 'natural' is because someone going through the process can attain the status of 'natural' if they wish. They can become a natural citizen by being naturalized, but they will never be natural born.

Hence: any person who does not need to be naturalized is already natural: they were born that way. Cruz was born that way, as I posted earlier as written in the historical record, and from the Harvard Law Review.

He is eligible. This is not an issue.

Bo-4
01-09-2016, 10:45 AM
It logical that the reason the root of the word 'naturalization' is 'natural' is because someone going through the process can attain the status of 'natural' if they wish. They can become a natural citizen by being naturalized, but they will never be natural born.

Hence: any person who does not need to be naturalized is already natural: they were born that way. Cruz was born that way, as I posted earlier as written in the historical record, and from the Harvard Law Review.

I'll wager that you were an Orly Taitz/ Joe Farah/ Sheriff Joe/ Jerome Corsi cheerleader during the Obama Birther nonsense even after his long form certificate was release by the state of Hawaii.

But since you agree with Ted, you'll defend him no matter what.

Peter1469
01-09-2016, 10:49 AM

That agrees with the Harvard Law Review Blog that I posted yesterday.

There is another legal line of thought that says the issue isn't settled- because there is no SCOTUS ruling. But nobody has cited to that law review article yet. They just make proclamations, like gump. er, grump.

Subdermal
01-09-2016, 10:49 AM
I'll wager that you were an Orly Taitz/ Joe Farah/ Sheriff Joe/ Jerome Corsi cheerleader during the Obama Birther nonsense even after his long form certificate was release by the state of Hawaii.

I already posted the questions I had about Obama. I am now posting the position I have on Cruz' eligibility, and it is sound doctrine.

You cannot even confront the now obvious truth that Hillary committed a serious crime. Your cognitive dissonance is as deeply terminal as any Dem campaign could possibly hope.

Peter1469
01-09-2016, 10:50 AM

The long form was never released. At least an accurate copy of it.

Bo-4
01-09-2016, 11:04 AM
The long form was never released. At least an accurate copy of it.

Nonsense .. the certificate is what everyone gets who loses their original. They are considered legal in all 50 states.

Most states cannot reproduce an original .. the info is stored electronically.

My replacement from the state of California looks very much like it, and i had no issue using it to get a passport.

Peter1469
01-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Nonsense .. the certificate is what everyone gets who loses their original. They are considered legal in all 50 states.

Most states cannot reproduce an original .. the info is stored electronically.

My replacement from the state of California looks very much like it, and i had no issue using it to get a passport.

The official versions are not photoshopped.

Bo-4
01-09-2016, 11:56 AM

LoL .. and I'M the clown? :D

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/29/expert-says-obamas-birth-certificate-legit.html

GRUMPY
01-09-2016, 12:38 PM

neither barry nor ted are natural born citizens in line with the understanding of our founding fathers...both bore conflicting loyalties at birth due to their duel citizenships...

del
01-09-2016, 12:47 PM

i'm headed out to the market

more tin foil?

Bo-4
01-09-2016, 12:56 PM
i'm headed out to the market

more tin foil?

:cool: ...

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001647171/5130408552_BIRTHERS_xlarge.jpeg

Peter1469
01-09-2016, 01:55 PM
LoL .. and I'M the clown? :D

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/29/expert-says-obamas-birth-certificate-legit.html

Absolutely you are. :wink:

Peter1469
01-09-2016, 01:56 PM
neither barry nor ted are natural born citizens in line with the understanding of our founding fathers...both bore conflicting loyalties at birth due to their duel citizenships...

Your definition has as much clout as Exo's. Zero.

Cite to a reputable source. One has been posted around here already. Steal that one if you can't do better.

Subdermal
01-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Don't post personal insults. Please see rule number 2.

:cool: ...

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001647171/5130408552_BIRTHERS_xlarge.jpeg

Tahuyaman
01-09-2016, 05:56 PM
Lookie here, we have a new birther movement.

Dr. Who
01-09-2016, 06:11 PM
Subdermal. Do not respond to moderation, except by PM.

maineman
01-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Lookie here, we have a new birther movement.

It was so much fun the last time, why not??