PDA

View Full Version : Teacher-Led Schools

IMPress Polly
01-13-2016, 06:46 AM
Yes yes, from unfair student dress codes (in which we have no say) to rebelliousness among teens to the stagnant economy and your personal lack of social mobility, teachers are the cause of all the nation's problems. It's all our fault. There. Now that your complaints about my job have been articulated, I think most of you can give me a break and the rest of us can move on to a more serious discussion of the issues our education system has.

A recent, major nationwide survey of teachers (http://neatoday.org/2016/01/11/teacher-autonomy-in-the-classroom/) found, unsurprisingly, that we feel increasingly micromanaged thanks to a number of different factors ranging from our increasingly ridiculous regime of standardized testing, around which, more and more, everything revolves (testing is necessary, but we definitely over-test in this country by a lot) to the movement toward school privatization (vouchers, charter schools, etc.), which tends to give administrators more control, given that private schools are rarely unionized. Lack of classroom autonomy is so extreme in many cases that educators are actually given scripts. Now isn't that interesting? I mean how we get blamed for everything despite often having so little control over either school policy or what will be taught in our classrooms or how it will be taught. Isn't that interesting? We get blamed for everything by everyone, from students to parents to administrators to government officials to corporate America chomping at the bits to run everything including our schools and seemingly everyone else on Earth (it can feel like you're under siege sometimes), and yet often aren't even treated (or generally paid) like a professional. And they wonder why we have a teacher shortage in this country! The line I sometimes want to offer is that one stereotypically offered by store clerks: "Look, I don't set policy, I just work here."

But what if we did set policy?

That's the premise of a new movement going on in American education: teacher-led schools. Here's an article that guides you through an example of such an elementary school in Maine, where educators split their time between instruction and administration (http://neatoday.org/2015/12/02/teacher-led-school-educators-decide-best-students/). It showcases, among other things, how differently the students are treated. I would encourage you to read it. I think you'll immediately notice some significant differences between this and the way your typical day at elementary school probably went when you attended. And you may like them. Of course, different teacher-led schools operate differently (i.e. the details differ from case to case), but I give you this article as a snapshot of the different attitude and atmosphere that schools feature when teachers have actual control both over classroom decision-making and school policy (which are intimately related things, I think you'll find).

Personally, I think this is a great idea! Of course that may be taken as self-interested of me, but I mean it sincerely. No one cares more about the education and general empowerment of the next generation than educators! It's why we do what we do! I just wish that people would have more faith in us and trust us enough to run schools like the example highlighted above more generally rather than scapegoating us for all the country's problems.

What do you think? After reading the linked article showcasing an example of how teacher-led schools can work, do you think it's a good idea? Should there be more of these?

Ethereal
01-13-2016, 06:49 AM
You're blaming the increased emphasis on standardization on privatization instead of the increased centralization of education with the federal government?

IMPress Polly
01-13-2016, 07:04 AM
I didn't make such a connection, Ethereal. I simply stated that both things hinder teacher autonomy. Although personally I am in favor of nationalizing the education system. The approach I personally would prefer is this: a nationally-funded school system (so that all students receive equal investment rather than us having to over-use standardized testing having to "make up the difference") that's controlled on the ground by teachers.

PolWatch
01-13-2016, 08:45 AM
What an innovation! Instead of requiring teachers to be automatons, they are being treated as professionals. This school seems to be an example of what can be done when locals are allowed to make their own decisions. I think I would feel like a mindless robot with the current level of control in our education system. Children do not succeed without committed teachers and involved parents.

Mac-7
01-13-2016, 08:50 AM
The approach I personally would prefer is this: a nationally-funded school system (so that all students receive equal investment

What is the point of achieving success if you cant use the wealth to give your child an advantage in life?

texan
01-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Yes yes, from unfair student dress codes (in which we have no say) to rebelliousness among teens to the stagnant economy and your personal lack of social mobility, teachers are the cause of all the nation's problems. It's all our fault. There. Now that your complaints about my job have been articulated, I think most of you can give me a break and the rest of us can move on to a more serious discussion of the issues our education system has.

A recent, major nationwide survey of teachers (http://neatoday.org/2016/01/11/teacher-autonomy-in-the-classroom/) found, unsurprisingly, that we feel increasingly micromanaged thanks to a number of different factors ranging from our increasingly ridiculous regime of standardized testing, around which, more and more, everything revolves (testing is necessary, but we definitely over-test in this country by a lot) to the movement toward school privatization (vouchers, charter schools, etc.), which tends to give administrators more control, given that private schools are rarely unionized. Lack of classroom autonomy is so extreme in many cases that educators are actually given scripts. Now isn't that interesting? I mean how we get blamed for everything despite often having so little control over either school policy or what will be taught in our classrooms or how it will be taught. Isn't that interesting? We get blamed for everything by everyone, from students to parents to administrators to government officials to corporate America chomping at the bits to run everything including our schools and seemingly everyone else on Earth (it can feel like you're under siege sometimes), and yet often aren't even treated (or generally paid) like a professional. And they wonder why we have a teacher shortage in this country! The line I sometimes want to offer is that one stereotypically offered by store clerks: "Look, I don't set policy, I just work here."

But what if we did set policy?

That's the premise of a new movement going on in American education: teacher-led schools. Here's an article that guides you through an example of such an elementary school in Maine, where educators split their time between instruction and administration (http://neatoday.org/2015/12/02/teacher-led-school-educators-decide-best-students/). It showcases, among other things, how differently the students are treated. I would encourage you to read it. I think you'll immediately notice some significant differences between this and the way your typical day at elementary school probably went when you attended. And you may like them. Of course, different teacher-led schools operate differently (i.e. the details differ from case to case), but I give you this article as a snapshot of the different attitude and atmosphere that schools feature when teachers have actual control both over classroom decision-making and school policy (which are intimately related things, I think you'll find).

Personally, I think this is a great idea! Of course that may be taken as self-interested of me, but I mean it sincerely. No one cares more about the education and general empowerment of the next generation than educators! It's why we do what we do! I just wish that people would have more faith in us and trust us enough to run schools like the example highlighted above more generally rather than scapegoating us for all the country's problems.

What do you think? After reading the linked article showcasing an example of how teacher-led schools can work, do you think it's a good idea? Should there be more of these?

If democrats were truly progressive and not manhandled by unions we could easily fix this issue. I have learned that dems are only "progressive" on things they disagree with republicans on...................True!

Common
01-13-2016, 10:09 AM
I two daughters that are teachers one is a vice principal. Depending on state teachers have it bad to worse.

Unfortunately education is inundated with lawsuits from EVERYWHERE, left right sideways. Litigation is costing schools in every state huge amounts of resources.

School boards have different ranging amounts of power some are appointed some are elected. School boards like mine that are elected do what ever they believe the majority of parents are demanding to get re elected and thats not alway in the the kids or educations best interest.

Then you have the ACLU that lately isnt getting the press it once did but whos activities sueing education is nonstop.

Everyone blames the govt for failing schools, no one blames the parents or the kids they teach that never learned a single thing from birth to kindergarten. Teachers DO NOT replace parents when it comes to teaching common decency and manners and respect for others. Teachers can do only so much with classrooms packed with kids with all differnt personalities and parents ranging from good people to scumbags.

Privitization of schools, the republican fix for everything was done in NJ by Christie there were several private schools created with state govt vouchers and parental pay and most have closed. They failed to meet educational standards in some cases in others they just didnt make enough profit and they were no cheaper to run.

Its just common sense to try and give the people that are on the front lines trying to teach children a chance to do it with less impediments and less bureacracy. Im not saying give teachers a free hand but give them more input on how to do their job than just having 6 board members either elected and worried about getting re elected or appointed and paying back their backer.

It seems in every industry and profession its never the people that actually perform the tasks that are allowed to have the input.

As in every issue in politics the right way and the truth are somewhere near the middle not to the left and right

texan
01-13-2016, 10:17 AM
My solution isn't privatization of the school system altho some of that needs to be a part.

You have tossed in that Christi's solution has failed. Do you have any information on that program? When you post it keep in mind the charter school approach around the country has been very successful with parents doing everything possible to get their kids into the schools. Go look at New Orleans.

Common
01-13-2016, 10:24 AM
My solution isn't privatization of the school system altho some of that needs to be a part.

You have tossed in that Christi's solution has failed. Do you have any information on that program? When you post it keep in mind the charter school approach around the country has been very successful with parents doing everything possible to get their kids into the schools. Go look at New Orleans.

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2011/06/13/243804/christie-firm-school-privatization/

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/gov_christie_to_unveil_public-.html

http://dianeravitch.net/2012/08/02/chris-christies-plan-to-privatize-njs-low-performing-schools/

Christies Privitization Task force, I dont believe it exists anymore

http://www.nj.gov/governor/news/reports/pdf/2010709_NJ_Privatization_Task_Force_Final_Report_% 28May_2010%29.pdf

If you care to read, christie tried to privitize everything, from schools to prisons to the lottery to state parks. Hes a failed pile of flab.