PDA

View Full Version : tPF The Power of the Presidency

Green Arrow
01-15-2016, 07:44 PM
From my studies of U.S. politics and history, I have encountered four main philosophical schools with regard to the power of the presidency. They were the Rooseveltian, Jeffersonian, Washingtonian, and Nixonian schools.

The Rooseveltian school comes from Theodore and Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and advocates that the president is only limited by what is expressly prohibited in the constitution. In other words, the president can basically do anything as long as it isn't strictly prohibited by the constitution. The only caveat being the action they take must be for good cause. Most presidents since the Roosevelts have been Rooseveltian, including Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush, and Ronald Reagan.

The Jeffersonian school comes from Thomas Jefferson, and advocates essentially the opposite of the Rooseveltians: The power of the president is limited to the powers specifically enumerated in the constitution. In other words, to a Jeffersonian, the president can't take any action the constitution doesn't specifically name. Calvin Coolidge was an example of a Jeffersonian.

The Washingtonian school comes from George Washington, and is the middle option, the bridge, between Jeffersonian and Rooseveltian ideals. The Washingtonian believes the president should be as limited as possible, given the circumstances. JFK was a Washingtonian who leaned Rooseveltian.

Finally, the Nixonian school comes from Richard Nixon and believes the president is essentially above the law and his power is pretty much limitless. LBJ was an example of a Nixonian.

Personally, I'm a Washingtonian who leans Rooseveltian. Which school do you agree with most?

Peter1469
01-15-2016, 09:48 PM
Washingtonian

Green Arrow
01-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Washingtonian

Why's that?

texan
01-17-2016, 12:26 AM
Why did you put Reagan into Roosevelt?

iustitia
01-17-2016, 12:34 AM
I would suggest that despite being Federalist-leaning Washington was more reserved with the use of power than Jefferson. Washington exercised more caution and restraint I think, and yes he did support a central bank but he generally was a model president. Jefferson on the other hand attacked federalist policies then used them when it was convenient. The man illegally bought territory doubling the size of the nation despite no explicate power to do so. Jefferson is kind of overrated I think as a president. But I would say that in theory I'm Jeffersonian based on the language, but realistically would prefer Washington.

Green Arrow
01-17-2016, 12:41 AM
Why did you put Reagan into Roosevelt?

Because he was a Rooseveltian in terms of presidential power.

Green Arrow
01-17-2016, 12:43 AM
I would suggest that despite being Federalist-leaning Washington was more reserved with the use of power than Jefferson. Washington exercised more caution and restraint I think, and yes he did support a central bank but he generally was a model president. Jefferson on the other hand attacked federalist policies then used them when it was convenient. The man illegally bought territory doubling the size of the nation despite no explicate power to do so. Jefferson is kind of overrated I think as a president. But I would say that in theory I'm Jeffersonian based on the language, but realistically would prefer Washington.

What made it illegal? Was it the lack of explicit power, or something else?

iustitia
01-17-2016, 12:50 AM
Both his lack of constitutional authority to buy it as well as it not being Napoleon's to sell in he first place.

Green Arrow
01-17-2016, 12:55 AM
So I suppose it could be argued that the Jeffersonian and Washingtonian thoughts should be switched.

Peter1469
01-17-2016, 05:55 AM
What made it illegal? Was it the lack of explicit power, or something else?

Lack of explicit power. However, if you got to break the rules, do it for a good reason / deal.

I would have supported that land purchase 100%.