PDA

View Full Version : Water crisis in Flint, Michigan - President declares emergency

Dr. Who
01-17-2016, 01:07 AM
President Barack Obama on Saturday declared a federal emergency in Flint, freeing up to $5 million in federal aid to immediately assist with the public health crisis, but he denied Gov. Rick Snyder's request for a disaster declaration.
A disaster declaration would have made larger amounts of federal funding available more quickly to help Flint residents whose drinking water is contaminated with lead. But under federal law, only natural disasters such as hurricanes and floods are eligible for disaster declarations, federal and state officials said. The lead contamination of Flint's drinking water is a manmade catastrophe.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/01/16/president-obama-declares-emergency-flint/78898604/

Lead contamination can do so much damage to young children, causing mental and physical developmental problems. The decision to use a contaminated water source, even temporarily, without issuing warnings is IMO, criminally negligent.

Green Arrow
01-17-2016, 01:51 AM
Some Michigan politicians are going to jail. Will the governor be one of them? We'll see. At the very least he should lose his job.

Dr. Who
01-17-2016, 02:31 AM
Some Michigan politicians are going to jail. Will the governor be one of them? We'll see. At the very least he should lose his job.
I can't imagine how someone could, in good conscience, opt to use such a contaminated water source, nevermind not notice the high lead content in the water being pumped out of the treatment plant. Heads should definitely roll. If the buck stops at the governor, then so be it.

Common
01-17-2016, 04:01 AM
I can't imagine how someone could, in good conscience, opt to use such a contaminated water source, nevermind not notice the high lead content in the water being pumped out of the treatment plant. Heads should definitely roll. If the buck stops at the governor, then so be it.

Thats incredible

zelmo1234
01-17-2016, 09:00 AM

He is all done in 2 years due to term limits. The problem is going to lie in the local officials that cut corners with the purification of that water supply, not likely with the state officials that approved the change. Flint is and has been a hell hole for a long time, It is a shame that this is just one more thing that has happened to that dying community.

Bo-4
01-17-2016, 09:17 AM
An apology isn't enough .. indeed, tar and feather the bastard.

“There are no excuses. The governor long ago knew about the lead in Flint’s water. He did nothing. As a result, hundreds of children were poisoned. Thousands may have been exposed to potential brain damage from lead. Gov. Snyder should resign,” he said in a statement. "Because of the conduct by Gov. Snyder’s administration and his refusal to take responsibility, families will suffer from lead poisoning for the rest of their lives. Children in Flint will be plagued with brain damage and other health problems. The people of Flint deserve more than an apology."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-flint-water-crisis_569a8fdde4b0778f46f98ce8

IMPress Polly
01-17-2016, 11:53 AM
Dr. Who wrote:
I can't imagine how someone could, in good conscience, opt to use such a contaminated water source...

What conscience?

sachem
01-17-2016, 12:02 PM
Some Michigan politicians are going to jail. Will the governor be one of them? We'll see. At the very least he should lose his job.Prison!!

Adelaide
01-17-2016, 02:07 PM
It will be interesting to see who is held accountable and to what degree. It will also be interesting to see what large lawsuits pop up - if it were my family and we were unknowingly ingesting lead and it led to any health problem, no matter how big or small, I would want damages.

PolWatch
01-17-2016, 02:18 PM
The idea that the state government knew of the lead contamination and waited so long to take action is pretty shocking.

Dr. Who
01-17-2016, 04:40 PM
It will be interesting to see who is held accountable and to what degree. It will also be interesting to see what large lawsuits pop up - if it were my family and we were unknowingly ingesting lead and it led to any health problem, no matter how big or small, I would want damages.
Children have undoubtedly been harmed as have adults with specific medical issues, since it can also cause kidney problems. Diabetics would have been at higher risk.

Dr. Who
01-17-2016, 04:43 PM
The idea that the state government knew of the lead contamination and waited so long to take action is pretty shocking.
It's unconscionable.

Beevee
01-17-2016, 04:54 PM

Why isn't anyone blaming Obama? After all, isn't the Governor a member of the Republican party, so surely, it can't be his fault?

Peter1469
01-17-2016, 06:40 PM
Why isn't anyone blaming Obama? After all, isn't the Governor a member of the Republican party, so surely, it can't be his fault?

:shocked:

PolWatch
01-17-2016, 06:41 PM

yer right....its phase two of the Ebola project. :rollseyes:

leekohler2
01-17-2016, 11:47 PM
Our conservative members are shockingly absent from this thread.

This is without doubt one of the worst things an American governor has ever done. He needs to not only lose his job, but go to prison.

ThaiBoxer
01-17-2016, 11:55 PM
And Republicans keep saying we have too many environmental regulations. Idiots

leekohler2
01-17-2016, 11:57 PM
And Republicans keep saying we have too many environmental regulations. Idiots

Yep. The irony is thick.

Beevee
01-17-2016, 11:59 PM

This is without doubt one of the worst things an American governor has ever done. He needs to not only lose his job, but go to prison.

Is that before or after he sells the water to fizzy drinks makers? Isn't that the American dream - to make oodles of money at the expense of those who can't hang on to theirs?

Dr. Who
01-18-2016, 12:14 AM

It is interesting that this thread has been largely only visited by more liberal members. It wasn't posted to be political, but in terms of its human interest, but for some reason it doesn't seem to resonate with our conservative membership. I'm not sure if partisanship prevents them from commenting because the Governor is a Republican. I know I didn't make an issue of his political affiliation. I'd like to think that if he were instead a Democratic Governor, that liberals would be equally outraged. I know I would be.

leekohler2
01-18-2016, 12:14 AM
Is that before or after he sells the water to fizzy drinks makers? Isn't that the American dream - to make oodles of money at the expense of those who can't hang on to theirs?

It would seem to be the case these days.

Ivan88
01-18-2016, 12:55 PM
How did the lead get in the water, and how much is in it?

Cigar
01-18-2016, 01:49 PM
It is interesting that this thread has been largely only visited by more liberal members. It wasn't posted to be political, but in terms of its human interest, but for some reason it doesn't seem to resonate with our conservative membership. I'm not sure if partisanship prevents them from commenting because the Governor is a Republican. I know I didn't make an issue of his political affiliation. I'd like to think that if he were instead a Democratic Governor, that liberals would be equally outraged. I know I would be.

Obviously ... some lives really don't matter to these people.

We're talking about Children who have done NOTHING ... ZERO, to these people to receive this type of vitriol.

It's quite telling ... of then and their way of thinking.

Dr. Who
01-18-2016, 06:49 PM
How did the lead get in the water, and how much is in it?
Enough to cause brain damage in children under 6 years old. The water from the Flint River is highly corrosive and the State chose not to implement anti-corrosive protocols. Consequently the water, which is full of nasty corrosive chemicals, is leaching lead out of any, presumably, lead pipes it passes through. Lead levels in children are so high they are now delivering bottled water to the community.

domer76
01-18-2016, 07:08 PM
Enough to cause brain damage in children under 6 years old. The water from the Flint River is highly corrosive and the State chose not to implement anti-corrosive protocols. Consequently the water, which is full of nasty corrosive chemicals, is leaching lead out of any, presumably, lead pipes it passes through. Lead levels in children are so high they are now delivering bottled water to the community.

They should have known the corrosivity and the lead levels, as well as all other drinking water parameters, well before the decision to switch sources. "They" being their version of our state's Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). That would not have rested with the governor. But it appears his inaction on the issue is verging on criminal.

leekohler2
01-18-2016, 07:22 PM

It's probably two things- partisanship, and the fact that we obviously need environmental protections in place. And I think we all know how they feel about regulation. If they were able to get what they really want, this kind of thing would be happening everywhere.

Dr. Who
01-18-2016, 07:27 PM
They should have known the corrosivity and the lead levels, as well as all other drinking water parameters, well before the decision to switch sources. "They" being their version of our state's Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). That would not have rested with the governor. But it appears his inaction on the issue is verging on criminal.
In fact the EPA has known about this for some time, but chose to try the soft-soap approach with the State Government. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't also eventually get named in the class action suit which has been launched, currently naming Snyder personally along with the State of Michigan.

Dr. Who
01-18-2016, 07:28 PM
It's probably two things- partisanship, and the fact that we obviously need environmental protections in place. And I think we all know how they feel about regulation. If they were able to get what they really want, this kind of thing would be happening everywhere.
See above - the EPA were dragging their feet on this one.

leekohler2
01-18-2016, 07:29 PM
See above - the EPA were dragging their feet on this one.

And what was the political stripe of the governor? ;)

Dr. Who
01-18-2016, 07:37 PM
Everyone, including the Governor were apprised by the Health Department about the rising lead levels in children. They chose to ignore it. They also chose not to implement standard anti-corrosive protocols. Lots of excuses offered, but they really don't wash. It would have cost more money.

domer76
01-18-2016, 08:10 PM
In fact the EPA has known about this for some time, but chose to try the soft-soap approach with the State Government. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't also eventually get named in the class action suit which has been launched, currently naming Snyder personally along with the State of Michigan.

Often, and mostly because of resource problems, EPA will give a state primacy to monitor its own water sources. Obviously, a bad decision.

leekohler2
01-18-2016, 08:27 PM
Often, and mostly because of resource problems, EPA will give a state primacy to monitor its own water sources. Obviously, a bad decision.

Most certainly a terrible decision. One that I hope is remedied.

birddog
01-18-2016, 08:31 PM
Another example of liberal policy failure! Now they want liberal input from the Feds? Likely they just want more welfare for losers!

leekohler2
01-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Another example of liberal policy failure! Now they want liberal input from the Feds? Likely they just want more welfare for losers!

A GOP governor is responsible for this. You might want to read about this issue before you post. You all will not be able to weasel your way out of this.

ThaiBoxer
01-18-2016, 08:51 PM

Republicans control the Michigan government idiot

Dr. Who
01-18-2016, 08:52 PM
So... you don't care if children get sick because they are the children of liberals or because they live in a liberal voting district. Do children even have politics? Pretty callous.

del
01-18-2016, 09:12 PM
the chemicals to prevent this would have cost under $500/week

Dr. Who
01-18-2016, 09:58 PM
the chemicals to prevent this would have cost under $500/week
Goes to show how little people's lives and health mean to the bean counters. They "saved" a whole $52,000. Wow! Meanwhile the cost in human illness will be in the millions, nevermind the class action lawsuit.