PDA

View Full Version : REMEMBER: It was The Republicans who blocked the American Jobs Act and 2 Million Jobs

Cigar
09-10-2012, 07:22 AM
The American Jobs Act -- One Year Later

Does anyone remember the American Jobs Act? A year ago President Obama proposed boosting the economy with a combination of tax cuts and spending increases, aimed in particular at sustaining state and local government employment. Independent analysts reacted favorably. For example, the consulting firm Macroeconomic Advisers estimated that the act would add 1.3 million jobs by the end of 2012.

There were good reasons for these positive assessments. Although you’d never know it from political debate, worldwide experience since the financial crisis struck in 2008 has overwhelmingly confirmed the proposition that fiscal policy “works,” that temporary increases in spending boost employment in a depressed economy (and that spending cuts increase unemployment). The Jobs Act would have been just what the doctor ordered.

But the bill went nowhere, of course, blocked by Republicans in Congress. And now, having prevented Mr. Obama from implementing any of his policies, those same Republicans are pointing to disappointing job numbers and declaring that the president’s policies have failed.

Think of it as a two-part strategy. First, obstruct any and all efforts to strengthen the economy, then exploit the economy’s weakness for political gain. If this strategy sounds cynical, that’s because it is. Yet it’s the G.O.P.’s best chance for victory in November.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/10/opinion/krugman-obstruct-and-exploit.html

No ... they didn't Build That, They Blocked That -> http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/30/1126128/-They-Blocked-that

shaarona
09-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Can you identify the differences between Obama and Romney?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsgsI40Q5ms

Peter1469
09-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Part of the problem with the federal government subsidizing 2M state and local public jobs is that when the program is over, how is going to pay the salaries? You are back in the same position. I wonder if they tell these workers that they are getting only temporary jobs.

Another problem is that when the feds throw free money at the state and local governments will all of these new positions be needed or will it be a malinvestment.

Cigar
09-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Here's a question; name one "Job Creator" who going to fix one single collapsing bridge that any one of "your" love-ones cross regularly?

How long should the US Infrastructure "you personally" use each and every day be free of maintenance?

How many individuals on this Forum never execute any maintenance on their Homes or Automobiles?

Mainecoons
09-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Yawn. Not every one lives in a failing state where the government workers siphon off all the money and the roads and bridges are falling apart. You really need to get out in the real world and notice that the red states manage to do the job with a whole lot fewer of your government worker drones.

Cigar
09-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Yawn. Not every one lives in a failing state where the government workers siphon off all the money and the roads and bridges are falling apart. You really need to get out in the real world and notice that the red states manage to do the job with a whole lot fewer of your government worker drones.

Thank you for making it crystal clear how Republicans "think".

Personally I wish and hope, Romney talks like you on the campaign trail, it would make things so much easier for Obama. :)

patrickt
09-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Wow, Cigar posts a Paul Krugman opinion piece from the NYT and backs it up with the Daily Kos. Of course, even Cigar is aware that telling people it's a Paul Krugman piece is not a good idea so he lied by omission.

This is pure Krugman drivel. "But the bill went nowhere, of course, blocked by Republicans in Congress. And now, having prevented Mr. Obama from implementing any of his policies, those same Republicans are pointing to disappointing job numbers and declaring that the president’s policies have failed."

Poor baby. Of course, of course it was blocked by Republicans. And the nasty Republicans "prevented Mr. Obama from implementing ANY of his policies...." Poor, poor baby. And, Paul Krugman lies, big time, yet again. It's sad when you peak as a Enron shill and then since to being a shill for, as Paul Krugman says, "Mr. Obama".

My favorite sentence was, "The Jobs Act would have been just what the doctor ordered." Of course, Paul Krugman is talking about Dr. Krugman and is desperate to rehabilitate a disgusting reputation.

patrickt
09-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Wow, Cigar posts a Paul Krugman opinion piece from the NYT and backs it up with the Daily Kos. Of course, even Cigar is aware that telling people it's a Paul Krugman piece is not a good idea so he lied by omission.

This is pure Krugman drivel. "But the bill went nowhere, of course, blocked by Republicans in Congress. And now, having prevented Mr. Obama from implementing any of his policies, those same Republicans are pointing to disappointing job numbers and declaring that the president’s policies have failed."

Poor baby. Of course, of course it was blocked by Republicans. And the nasty Republicans "prevented Mr. Obama from implementing ANY of his policies...." Poor, poor baby. And, Paul Krugman lies, big time, yet again. It's sad when you peak as a Enron shill and then since to being a shill for, as Paul Krugman says, "Mr. Obama". My favorite sentence was, "The Jobs Act would have been just what the doctor ordered." Of course, Paul Krugman is talking about Dr. Krugman and is desperate to rehabilitate a disgusting reputation.

And remember, it was the liberals who brought us the housing crisis that precipitated the decline.

sec
09-10-2012, 08:05 AM
what jobs bill?

I saw tax increases and more govt spending. I saw no jobs bill being proposed

keymanjim
09-10-2012, 08:10 AM
http://www.gop.gov/policy-news/11/10/27/summary-of-jobs-bills-stalled

Campaigning for another failed stimulus and more job destroying taxes, President Obama has repeatedly—and falsely—asserted that “Congress isn’t willing to move (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/10/19/remarks-president-american-jobs-act)” legislation to facilitate job growth. While the president plays politics, House Republicans have been working and approving legislation to promote economic growth and job creation. The House has approved more than 15 bills that, if enacted, would immediately help to grow the economy without more failed stimulus spending. These bills are currently stalled in the Democrat-controlled Senate and the president has not encouraged the Senate to act.Today, House GOP leaders and freshman lawmakers held a press conference to call for Senate action on the “forgotten 15” jobs bills (http://speaker.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=184273-3477702) that the House approved as part of House Republicans’Plan for America’s Job Creators (http://speaker.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=184274-3477702). The following is a summary of the “forgotten 15” and other stalled legislation listed on the Majority Leader’s Job Tracker website (http://majorityleader.gov/JobsTracker/).

Yeah, it's the republican's fault. /s/

Peter1469
09-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Much of the jobs bill was for local law enforcement and teachers- positions that the locals can't afford. (That is a problem once the federal money dies out).

So far as infrastructure spending goes, the federal government has a role: the interstate highway system, infrastructure relating to the navigable water system and federal lands. But the majority of infrastructure is a local concern. My big concern in infrastructure spending is fraud, patronage, and malinvestment. I have no problem using the appropriate tax dollars (fed or local) to pay for needed infrastructure projects.

Deadwood
09-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Ah...can anyone tell me how many Republican Job initiatives are pending [stalled] in the Democratic controlled Senate?

I can't believe that we are four years down the road and the primary line of defense for Democrat shills is still a variation of "It's Bush's fault"

I get sad when I see pathetic crap like this and I worry that the gene pool s deteriorating

Cigar
09-10-2012, 10:30 AM
what jobs bill?

I saw tax increases and more govt spending. I saw no jobs bill being proposed

Of course you didn't see ... how could you, Fox didn't write for you to read.

Peter1469
09-10-2012, 10:30 AM
It is over a dozen bills I believe.

Cigar
09-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Ah the Old I wrote my Bill so I don't have to Vote on yours trick :)

keymanjim
09-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Ah the Old I wrote my Bill so I don't have to Vote on yours trick :)
Yep. That's EXACTLY what harry reid is doing.