PDA

View Full Version : Yet another study refutes the notion that guns make anyone safe

Cigar
01-27-2016, 01:44 PM
Before you start B!thing at me ... "I" didn't Write this ...

State by State, More Guns Mean More Killing of Women

A new study from Boston University has found a strong correlation between a state’s rate of gun ownership and its rate of women murdered by people they know. The article, soon to be published in Violence and Gender, stands to combat claims from conservatives that guns make women safer. In fact, relaxing gun laws may have dire implications for domestic violence.

Authors Michael Siegel and Emily Rothman studied firearm ownership rates and how they compared with gun-related homicides of both men and women, committed by both strangers and nonstrangers, from 1981 to 2013. After controlling for age, race, region, poverty, unemployment, education, divorce rate, alcohol use, and a number of other potentially extenuating factors, they found that higher levels of gun ownership corresponded to higher rates of women being killed by people they know, but not by strangers.
====
“Our study confirms that a greater availability of firearms does not appear to protect women from homicides committed by strangers,” Siegel told me over email. “But it does appear to increase the risk for firearm homicides committed by non-strangers.”
====
“This means that the rate of female non-stranger homicide in a state can be predicted well simply by using the prevalence of firearm ownership in that state,” the authors write.

The NRA is making a serious push to market guns to women. In every scenario it's a bad guy who confronts a petite young woman either in her home or in a dark alley. They don't bother telling women that they if they are attacked it is by someone who calls them Sweetheart.

More guns, more dead women. Period. :wink:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/01/25/state_by_state_more_guns_mean_more_killing_of_wome n.html

zelmo1234
01-27-2016, 01:52 PM
And yet there are more guns on the street today than any time in history, and Gun violence is still way down from it's peaks?

And if you take Suicide out of the equation, it gets really low. And if you were to take the crimes that happen in Gun free zones out? Well you have never been safer in the history of the country.

Cigar
01-27-2016, 01:59 PM
And yet there are more guns on the street today than any time in history, and Gun violence is still way down from it's peaks?

And if you take Suicide out of the equation, it gets really low. And if you were to take the crimes that happen in Gun free zones out? Well you have never been safer in the history of the country.

Well I'm sure that will make the remaining Women Happy ... :grin:

Mac-7
01-27-2016, 02:30 PM

A new study from Boston University has found a strong correlation between a state’s rate of gun ownership and its rate of women murdered by people they know. The article, soon to be published in Violence and Gender, stands to combat claims from conservatives that guns make women safer. In fact, relaxing gun laws may have dire implications for domestic violence.

Authors Michael Siegel and Emily Rothman studied firearm ownership rates and how they compared with gun-related homicides of both men and women, committed by both strangers and nonstrangers, from 1981 to 2013. After controlling for age, race, region, poverty, unemployment, education, divorce rate, alcohol use, and a number of other potentially extenuating factors, they found that higher levels of gun ownership corresponded to higher rates of women being killed by people they know, but not by strangers.
====
“Our study confirms that a greater availability of firearms does not appear to protect women from homicides committed by strangers,” Siegel told me over email. “But it does appear to increase the risk for firearm homicides committed by non-strangers.”
====
“This means that the rate of female non-stranger homicide in a state can be predicted well simply by using the prevalence of firearm ownership in that state,” the authors write.

The NRA is making a serious push to market guns to women. In every scenario it's a bad guy who confronts a petite young woman either in her home or in a dark alley. They don't bother telling women that they if they are attacked it is by someone who calls them Sweetheart.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/01/25/state_by_state_more_guns_mean_more_killing_of_wome n.html

No gun owner is going to take a bunch of lies from liberal academia seriously.

But if you have guns and want to fell safer surrender them to the nearest police station.

dont let us stop you

Professor Peabody
01-27-2016, 02:38 PM

====
====

Would it make you feel any better if they were pushed out of windows?

Standing Wolf
01-27-2016, 02:57 PM
Ask any woman who has ever successfully defended herself by firing or displaying a gun if they give two s***s about this or any other "study".

Ask her if she would rather have been unarmed, because the "study" says that - statistically - she would have been safer that way.

Cigar, no one has ever, in the history of the world, been statistically murdered, statistically maimed or statistically raped.

I put a gun in the face of a couple of home invaders when I was living in Hawaii thirty years ago, and statistically maybe that gun being in my house made me less safe - but one thing I do not want to do is to go back in time and do it again without the gun. Nor do I want to deny any other sane, law-abiding adult citizen the opportunity to defy and overcome those (alleged) statistics and protect themselves.

domer76
01-27-2016, 02:59 PM

I wondered how long it would take to have someone start dropping out numbers. I didn't think it would be the very next post, however.