PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from tonight's Trumpless debate

Bo-4
01-28-2016, 03:46 PM
Will you be watching? Not I -- Just won't be the same. Sorry Fox, but if you exceed 3 million viewers, it'll be a major surprise.

Ya probably shouldn't have been so snarky. ;)

We learned from a secret back channel that the Ayatollah and Putin both intend to treat Donald Trump unfairly when they meet with him if he becomes president — a nefarious source tells us that Trump has his own secret plan to replace the Cabinet with his Twitter followers to see if he should even go to those meetings.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/01/28/fox_news_debate_without_trump_here_s_what_to_expec t.html

Cigar
01-28-2016, 03:50 PM
I Expect Nothing, I'll be watching The Trump Puppet Show ...

http://media.giphy.com/media/hDwYu8UEcUone/giphy.gif

Bo-4
01-28-2016, 04:02 PM
I Expect Nothing, I'll be watching The Trump Puppet Show ...

https://media.giphy.com/media/xTiTnHXbRoaZ1B1Mo8/giphy.gif

Tahuyaman
01-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Will you be watching? Not I -- Just won't be the same. Sorry Fox, but if you exceed 3 million viewers, it'll be a major surprise.

Ya probably shouldn't have been so snarky. ;)

We learned from a secret back channel that the Ayatollah and Putin both intend to treat Donald Trump unfairly when they meet with him if he becomes president — a nefarious source tells us that Trump has his own secret plan to replace the Cabinet with his Twitter followers to see if he should even go to those meetings.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/01/28/fox_news_debate_without_trump_here_s_what_to_expec t.html

I doubt the the absence of Trump will cause many to tune out. Just as many will tune in just to see if they still ask hardball questions or were they scared off.

still, I can agree with one thing. Fox should have just said "you don't want to participate... Fine". And left it at that. Of course the rest of the media went ape-shit over it, but that's what I've come to expect from the rest.

Peter1469
01-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Maybe less bomb throwing.

Bo-4
01-28-2016, 05:01 PM
Maybe less bomb throwing.

Nah, they'll all (especially TeaTed) be tossing bombs at the guy who isn't there.

Brave huh?

Green Arrow
01-28-2016, 05:47 PM
I probably won't watch.

Bo-4
01-28-2016, 06:30 PM
I probably won't watch.

Smartest man in the room.

Kind of a shame the the Super Bowl isn't tonight!

Cigar
01-28-2016, 07:47 PM
Read my lips ...
http://www.iagreetosee.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/tax-day-bush-no-new-taxes.png

Green Arrow
01-28-2016, 08:16 PM
I take that back, decided to put it on in the background while I play WoW. Admittedly, I'm curious to see what a 2016 GOP debate looks like sans Trump.

The Xl
01-28-2016, 08:18 PM
Fox will take subtle jabs at trump. Cruz and friends will take not so subtle jabs at him. No one will be watching to see all these jabs.

Bo-4
01-28-2016, 08:22 PM
I take that back, decided to put it on in the background while I play WoW. Admittedly, I'm curious to see what a 2016 GOP debate looks like sans Trump.

MSNBC is going to do a side-by-side.

Got corn?

http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/manger/grignoter/pocorn.gif

Peter1469
01-28-2016, 09:19 PM
The jabs at Trump were unnecessary and only allows his people to claim the Establishment is out to get him.

It looks like he is correct.

Green Arrow
01-28-2016, 09:24 PM
I don't know, I found Ted Cruz's little joke funny.

"You're all fat, ugly, and stupid, and Ben, you're a terrible surgeon."

Mister D
01-28-2016, 09:26 PM
MSNBC is going to do a side-by-side.

Got corn?

http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/manger/grignoter/pocorn.gif

I thanked that post because you reminded to pick up popcorn tomorrow. It's a healthy, whole grain snack.

Green Arrow
01-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Jeb Bush said "damn." I'm not used to Jeb Bush showing so much fire. Someone ruffled his feathers.

Green Arrow
01-28-2016, 09:30 PM
Chris Wallace is feisty tonight. I like it.

Chris Wallace for president.

Green Arrow
01-28-2016, 09:31 PM
I think Ted Cruz is now wishing Trump was still on the stage as his shield. Cruz is under serious fire and rather than taking it like Trump usually does, he's whining and looks hella bitchy.

Bo-4
01-29-2016, 08:45 AM
I thanked that post because you reminded to pick up popcorn tomorrow. It's a healthy, whole grain snack.

My personal favorite actually. But for some reason, Albertsons stopped carrying the Orville's light kettle.

Costco time!

Bo-4
01-29-2016, 08:48 AM
Chris Wallace is feisty tonight. I like it.

Chris Wallace for president.

Didn't see the entire debate but thought all the mods did a nice job in the highlight reel.

Especially loved the way they pinned down Rubio and Cruz on previous immigration positions - with video.

Why can't they just admit that they changed their positions instead of lying through their teeth?

Bo-4
01-29-2016, 08:49 AM
I don't know, I found Ted Cruz's little joke funny.

"You're all fat, ugly, and stupid, and Ben, you're a terrible surgeon."

That WAS pretty good! :)

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 08:50 AM
The jabs at Trump were unnecessary and only allows his people to claim the Establishment is out to get him.

It looks like he is correct.

The "jabs" at him were quite tame and rare. He is a candidate after all and his views should be open to criticism just like everyone's.

No one's out to get him any more than they are the others.

I thought it it was actually pretty good to see a debate without all of the junior high schoolish antics

Bo-4
01-29-2016, 08:51 AM
I think Ted Cruz is now wishing Trump was still on the stage as his shield. Cruz is under serious fire and rather than taking it like Trump usually does, he's whining and looks hella bitchy.

Ted has personality issues. It's easy to see why few who've ever worked with him actually like him.

He's got what you could call a punchable face.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 08:55 AM
Who cares if Trump didn't show up. Who cares if the ratings were down. The lost viewers are simply dumb Trump cheerleaders who are swayed by empty buzzwords.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 08:57 AM
The "jabs" at him were quite tame and rare. He is a candidate after all and his views should be open to criticism just like everyone's.

I thought it it was actually pretty good to see a debate without all of the junior high schoolish antics

The moderators were vicious last night....if Trump were there he would have had blood coming out of wherever

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 09:00 AM
The moderators were vicious last night....if Trump were there he would have had blood coming out of wherever

Well, Imagree that Trump wouldn't have handled the aggressiveness of the moderators as gracefully as they did last night. He would have gone straight for the insults he picked up in junior high school.

nic34
01-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Ted has personality issues. It's easy to see why few who've ever worked with him actually like him.

He's got what you could call a punchable face.

I couldn't understand him. I think he speaks Canadian.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Well, Imagree that Trump wouldn't have handled the aggressiveness of the moderators as gracefully as they did last night. He would have gone straight for the insults he picked up in junior high school.
I can't understand how anyone can support him....although if it is between him or Rafael...I will vote for Trump. It is a shame Rand Paul hasn't gained traction...he is my first choice so obviously, I think he 'won' the debate last night.

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 09:22 AM
I have no idea who "Rafael" is. I guess that's more racial code From you I need to decipher.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 09:25 AM
I have no idea who "Rafael" is. I guess that's more racial code From you I need to decipher.

Rafael Edward Cruz. How the hell he gets 'Ted' out of Rafael, I will never know. My guess, he is afraid if he uses his given name, he would lose support.

Archer0915
01-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Heard it on ABC this morning, Trump won without attending.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 09:27 AM

You mean the left wing media. Now you listen to them...lmao

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 09:28 AM
I'm guessing that he goes by his middle name. I don't believe that's a substantial issue in the campaign.

Archer0915
01-29-2016, 09:29 AM
You mean the left wing media. Now you listen to them...lmao

Who cares it is all over the place, Trump got more press out of that stunt than anyone else and raised millions at the same time.

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 09:34 AM

It is true that Trump dominates the media's attention even when he's completely silent. I've never seen anything like it.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 09:36 AM
Who cares it is all over the place, Trume got more press out of that stunt than anyone else and raised millions at the same time.
Perhaps...but he didn't gain supporters...he probably lost supporters. All he did was cater to those who are going to vote for him anyway.

Short term...probably a smart move as Cruz probably lost support with his pathetic performance last night. Trump will probably win IA...who cares...so did Huckabee and Santorum. In the long term...it is a loss because the GOP needs either Trump or Cruz to be destroyed so the other candidates can shine. There will be an outright attack on Cruz going into NH...once he is gone, the attacks will be on Trump and Trump will say or do something incredibly stupid and will lose support going into SC.

Sorry, but I don't think the GOP will allow Trump to win.

To people who can think for themselves...Trump not appearing at the debate just showed that he is a puss.

Archer0915
01-29-2016, 09:40 AM
It is true that Trump dominates the media's attention even when he's completely silent. I've never seen anything like it.

Well it is not so much him getting the attention it is the people not wanting to give it to the establishment. Our nation is at a point where we may be able to keep it from going over the edge! Sanders and trump are seen as outsiders and they are the antiestablishment crew. One or the other will win.

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 09:47 AM
Well it is not so much him getting the attention it is the people not wanting to give it to the establishment. Our nation is at a point where we may be able to keep it from going over the edge! Sanders and trump are seen as outsiders and they are the antiestablishment crew. One or the other will win.

That doesn't explain how he dominates the media's attention. They support the political establishment.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 09:49 AM
The problem is that POTUS isn't gonna resolve the anti-establishment issue....no matter who it is. It has to start in Congress. It has to start with legislation. What can a President do that will kill the establishment?

Nutz
01-29-2016, 09:51 AM
That doesn't explain how he dominates the media's attention. They support the political establishment.

He is an entertainer. He knows how to get attention with fluff and buzzwords without any meat. Sort of like a football player dancing in the endzone...we love to hate them and can't wait to see their next stunt.

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 09:56 AM
He is an entertainer. He knows how to get attention with fluff and buzzwords without any meat. Sort of like a football player dancing in the endzone...we love to hate them and can't wait to see their next stunt.

but he can dominate their attention in his sleep.

Bo-4
01-29-2016, 10:03 AM
No Trump in the house, but debate was still vile

Gotta agree that Jebbers and Rand came out on top. Pretty funny - who isn't tired of the fear-mongering?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2016/01/29/trump-house-but-debate-was-still-vile/mTGvgairdZekRbwrZ6DktJ/story.html

Nutz
01-29-2016, 10:05 AM
but he can dominate their attention in his sleep.
It is just like teapers yelling and screaming at liberals...it makes no difference because you aren't changing their minds anyway. Personally, I don't believe Trump supporters are actually voters...they are just boob-tube lemmings who like to be entertained.

Matty
01-29-2016, 10:08 AM
The debate was actually a whole lot better without Trump. Rand Paul basically did the same thing a few weeks ago but there he was grinning like the Cheshire Cat. I have narrowed my vote down to three candidates.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 10:19 AM
The debate was actually a whole lot better without Trump. Rand Paul basically did the same thing a few weeks ago but there he was grinning like the Cheshire Cat. I have narrowed my vote down to three candidates.
Who?

Bo-4
01-29-2016, 10:40 AM
It is just like teapers yelling and screaming at liberals...it makes no difference because you aren't changing their minds anyway. Personally, I don't believe Trump supporters are actually voters...they are just boob-tube lemmings who like to be entertained.

Boy i dunno, if he can draw these huge crowds who line up hours ahead of time in the cold - don't think it'd be safe to say that they won't show up to caucus or vote.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Boy i dunno, if he can draw these huge crowds who line up hours ahead of time in the cold - don't think it'd be safe to say that they won't show up to caucus or vote.
The venue fit 750 people. 150 watched from outside. Not really huge.

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 10:50 AM
I watched the undercard. Whoever wins the Republican nomonation needs to get Fiorina to be his running mate. She clearly dominated that debate.

I believe a Rubio / Fiorina ticket would easily beat Hillary Clinton. A Trump or Cruz nomination would result in a Hillary Clinton presidency.

I believe Hillary Clinton does not want to engage in a debate with Rubio. If Rubio is the nominee, the Clinton camp will fight to have as few debates as humanly possible. If it's Trump or Cruz she won't try to limit the number of debates.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 10:52 AM
I watched the undercard. Whoever wins the Republican nomonation needs to get Fiorina to be his running mate. She clearly dominated that debate.

I believe a Rubio / Fiorina ticket would easily beat Hillary Clinton. A Trump or Cruz nomination would result in a Hillary Clinton presidency.

I believe Hillary Clinton does not want to engage in a debate with Rubio. If Rubio is the nominee, the Clinton camp will fight to have as few debates as humanly possible. If it's Trump or Cruz she won't try to limit the number of debates.
I don't know about Fiorino...I just don't see her as a strong anything. As for Cruz in a debate...he was clearly the focus of attack last night...but he is actually a very good debater (for a canadian named Rafael)

Cletus
01-29-2016, 11:02 AM

The debate was better without Trump. He takes the debates and turns them into circus sideshows.

Cletus
01-29-2016, 11:04 AM

Cruz would smoke here like a cheap cigar. No one on the stage last night is as skilled a debater as Cruz.

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 11:11 AM
Cruz would smoke here like a cheap cigar. No one on the stage last night is as skilled a debater as Cruz.

I obviously disagree. Cruz certainly didn't do himself any favors last night. You must have been watching a different debate. A Cruz nomination would result in a Clinton presidency.

I dont know how much that debate will impact the Iowa caucuses though.

Bo-4
01-29-2016, 11:12 AM
The venue fit 750 people. 150 watched from outside. Not really huge.

Yeah, but he's drawn 10-20,000 on equally cold nights.

I may be wrong .. hope so anyway!

But then again, between Trump, Cruz and Rubio pretty sure Trump would be the least dangerous president.

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 11:16 AM
Fox will take subtle jabs at trump. Cruz and friends will take not so subtle jabs at him. No one will be watching to see all these jabs.

It appears that you were incorrect. This debate was viewed by more people than the previous ones.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 11:31 AM
I obviously disagree. Cruz certainly didn't do himself any favors last night. You must have been watching a different debate. A Cruz nomination would result in a Clinton presidency.

I dont know how much that debate will impact the Iowa caucuses though.

Cruz was horrible last night...he has no wit and can't operate well unless he is prepared.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 11:32 AM
Yeah, but he's drawn 10-20,000 on equally cold nights.

I may be wrong .. hope so anyway!

But then again, between Trump, Cruz and Rubio pretty sure Trump would be the least dangerous president.
Yeah...that many people wait in the cold for Britney Spears and the WWE. He is an entertainer. He won't win anything.

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 11:33 AM
I thought he showed a bit of wit when he said "I'm a maniac, you are all fat and ugly, and you're a bad Doctor". But that was his best moment.

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 11:34 AM
Yeah...that many people wait in the cold for Britney Spears and the WWE. He is an entertainer. He won't win anything.

Now, here we can agree. A Trump or Cruz nomination woukd guarantee a Clinton presidency.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 11:35 AM
I thought he showed a bit of with when he said "I'm a maniac, you are all fat and ugly, and you're a bad Doctor". But that was his best moment.
That was a prepared speech. It was stiff and obvious he was speaking from memory.

I wonder who wrote that joke for him.

Peter1469
01-29-2016, 04:24 PM

The first few minutes were totally unnecessary.

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 06:34 PM
The debate didn't turn out like the conventional wisdom predicted. It was widely watched and probably a bit more substantive than the debates attended by Trump.

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 06:35 PM
The debate didn't turn out like the conventional wisdom predicted. It was widely watched and probably a bit more substantive than the debates attended by Trump.
And with roughly one-half the expected audience...

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 06:36 PM
It appears that you were incorrect. This debate was viewed by more people than the previous ones.
Not according to a Facebook post by M. Savage.

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Well, no.

"Fox's Trump-less debate had 12.5 million viewers between 9 and 11 p.m., according to Nielsen.By comparison, two of the cable channels that showed parts of Trump's fundraising event, CNN and MSNBC, had about 2.7 million viewers combined. A plethora of smaller outlets also televised and streamed Trump, but no further viewership data is available.
Practically speaking, there is no way Trump's event could have out-rated the debate. But ratings experts said Trump did appear to take a chunk out of Fox's audience.
Fox averaged a record-smashing 25 million viewers last August during the first Trump-fueled debate of the season. Trump clashed with moderator Megyn Kelly (http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/28/media/fox-news-pr-nightmare-donald-trump/index.html?iid=EL) that time -- and avoided a rematch by skipping Thursday's debate."
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/29/media/republican-debate-ratings-donald-trump/index.html

25 million with Trump. 12.5 million without Trump.

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 06:40 PM

According to to the people who compile the television ratings, it was the most watched debate so far.

no one claimed it was the most viewed program of the night.

The predictions that no one was going to watch because of Trump's absence, were wrong.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 06:42 PM
Who cares...those who boycotted the debate already made their decision. In the end...yes, fewer people watched - but no loss to Fox or any candidate. Those who boycotted aren't changing their minds. The amount was miniscule, so Trump really lost and only fed his lemmings.

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 06:42 PM
According to to the people who compile the television ratings, it was the most watched debate so far.

No. 25 million viewers with Trump. 12.5 million viewers without Trump.

Green Arrow
01-29-2016, 06:53 PM
I don't get all the whining about the debates and the questions asked. I can't recall a single presidential debate that was a REAL debate, these things are all just political theatre with little substance. Bread and circuses. What we call "debates" exist for one purpose: for the candidates to verbally beat the shit out of each other until one comes out looking strong and the other(s) come out looking weak.

I am not at all convinced that Ted Cruz's debate "skills" are any more substantive than skill at bullshittery, but it's irrelevant. Every single person on that stage is going to take jabs because that's how this theatre works. And if anyone is skilled at bruising political theatre, it's Hillary Clinton. If these bitchy Republicans can't even handle a debate with each other in friendly territory without whining like spoiled brats, they will never survive a debate with Hillary. If that's the case, y'all better pray for an indictment, because if a GOP candidate can't stand toe to toe with Hillary in a debate and fight fire with fire, get used to at least four years of Ursula.

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 06:58 PM

no one claimed it was the most viewed program of the night.

The predictions that no one was going to watch because of Trump's absence, were wrong.
You are simply wrong.

Who has claimed that it would, or would not be, the most-watched show of the evening?
Who has claimed that no one would watch the debates?

Neilson says the Trumpless debate had about one-half the audience of the debate with Trump.
No Trump? 12.5 million viewers. With Trump? 25 million viewers.

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 07:00 PM
Who cares...those who boycotted the debate already made their decision. In the end...yes, fewer people watched - but no loss to Fox or any candidate. Those who boycotted aren't changing their minds. The amount was miniscule, so Trump really lost and only fed his lemmings.
Do you understand how television advertising works?

FOX charges per minute based on the predicted number of eyeballs. One-half the audience means way less revenue for FOX. I imagine they lost between two and six million dollars.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 07:01 PM
Do you understand how television advertising works?

FOX charges per minute based on the predicted number of eyeballs. One half the audience means way less revenue for FOX. I imagine they lost five or six million dollars.
Yes, I do. I worked in television for more than a decade - the broadcasting industry for 20. Advertising isn't sold after the fact...but thanks for playing.

How many sponsors pulled out when Trump pussed out?

Ethereal
01-29-2016, 07:03 PM
Yes, I do. I worked in television for more than a decade - the broadcasting industry for 20.

Sure you did...

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 07:03 PM
Yes, I do. I worked in television for more than a decade - the broadcasting industry for 20. Advertising isn't sold after the fact...but thanks for playing.
Right. So visualize $750K per minute based on a 25 million audience. Now visualize the rebates when half of the audience shows. They lost big.

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 07:04 PM

How many sponsors pulled out when Trump pussed out?
Were you in the big leagues or were you just Nutz?

Nutz
01-29-2016, 07:04 PM
Right. So visualize $750K per minute based on a 25 million audience. Now visualize the rebates when half of the audience shows. They lost big.
No...they did not. You advertise with a TV station...you pay upfront hoping the audience is huge. Fox lost nothing.

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 07:05 PM
No...they did not. You advertise with a TV station...you pay upfront hoping the audience is huge. Fox lost nothing.
You are Nutz.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 07:08 PM
Were you in the big leagues or were you just Nutz?

lol...a little bit of both.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 07:09 PM
You are Nutz.
Just telling you the truth about advertising. Do you think advertisers pay after the event or before. It isn't per diem...TV stations get what they can before...that is what pays for the production.

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Just telling you the truth about advertising. Do you think advertisers pay after the event or before. It isn't per diem...TV stations get what they can before...that is what pays for the production.
I think for a special event there will be some tight contracts. Deliver half the projected audience and you get half the money.

That is what I believe happened. FOX charged based on a projected 25 million viewers. They delivered only half of the projected audience. Local, not national advertisers have their own ad rates.

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 07:18 PM
lol...a little bit of both.
Did you do big special events or daytime, serialized TV shows?

Nutz
01-29-2016, 07:21 PM
I think for a special event there will be some tight contracts. Deliver half the projected audience and you get half the money.

That is what I believe happened. FOX charged based on a projected 25 million viewers. They delivered only half of the projected audience. Local, not national advertisers have their own ad rates.
No...there are not...it is buyer beware.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 07:24 PM
Did you do big special events or daytime, serialized TV shows?
Both. Local TV, national events and national sales.

A price is set, you pay or not. As a matter of fact...you pay BEFORE your commercial airs. Yes, there are some special contracts for unexpected breaks...but in the end, an advertiser pays for what THEY think will benefit them.

Now...I have seen a couple of instances where the advertiser raised hell because the ratings were low...but the answer was usually...sue us. The contracts are tight. (But a good advertiser, we would give them a few extra commercials when available to appease them).

Nutz
01-29-2016, 07:27 PM

Honestly, no. You pay for your flights and that is it. big events...first come, first serve. If I have 12 spots...why negotiate when someone will pay a million for a minute without negotiation. It is on the advertiser to be prudent, not the TV station. TV Stations can only give projections...it is up to the advertiser to determine if they want to take that chance.

Now yes, they could have a contract stating if X doesn't happen, then the price is reduced...but honestly - that wouldn't apply here.

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 07:35 PM

Actually more people watched.

I dont know know where you people get this stuff.... Facebook?

Nutz
01-29-2016, 07:37 PM

I honestly don't know about the numbers (or care). I heard it was actually fewer...but fewer by a small amount.

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 07:37 PM
No. 25 million viewers with Trump. 12.5 million viewers without Trump.

More people watched last night's debate than the Fox Business News and CNBC debates. This is a fact.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 07:39 PM
More people watched last night's debate than the Fox Business News and CNBC debates. This is a fact.
Do you have a link...I am not denying what you say...I can only go by what I have heard and read. I think the basis for the trumpeteers saying it is less is because it is less than FNC's first debate with Rump.

Tahuyaman
01-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Do you have a link...I am not denying what you say...I can only go by what I have heard and read. I think the basis for the trumpeteers saying it is less is because it is less than FNC's first debate with Rump.

there were others in that first debate who weren't there last night as well. If one wanted to, they could claim their absence impacted the ratings..... Right?

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 09:38 PM
No...there are not...it is buyer beware.
Count me skeptical. On the day of Trump's announcement, I saw a post that said the ad rate dropped from $750K per minute down to $100K per minute. I suppose only FOX News knows if it lost revenue.

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 09:40 PM
Both. Local TV, national events and national sales.

A price is set, you pay or not. As a matter of fact...you pay BEFORE your commercial airs. Yes, there are some special contracts for unexpected breaks...but in the end, an advertiser pays for what THEY think will benefit them.

Now...I have seen a couple of instances where the advertiser raised hell because the ratings were low...but the answer was usually...sue us. The contracts are tight. (But a good advertiser, we would give them a few extra commercials when available to appease them).
I accept your expertise. Well, at least until I see some analysis that counters it. :-)

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 09:43 PM
When I bought advertising I paid in a variety of ways. I paid before for most of it. I had comped spots based on a formula. And there were some other factors.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 09:43 PM
there were others in that first debate who weren't there last night as well. If one wanted to, they could claim their absence impacted the ratings..... Right?
I agree...I was just asking for a link...numbers can be spun. I saw that there were slightly fewer viewers...but there are a lot of different interpretations.

MisterVeritis
01-29-2016, 09:44 PM

I got my numbers from CNN who quoted Neilsen. 25 million with Trump and 12.5 million without Trump last night.

Nutz
01-29-2016, 09:45 PM
When I bought advertising I paid in a variety of ways. I paid before for most of it. I had comped spots based on a formula. And there were some other factors.
Usually, the factors were empty slots. Believe it or not...a lot of spots you see are comp'd and just filled in by a board operator or master control at the last second.

MisterVeritis
01-30-2016, 04:32 PM
Usually, the factors were empty slots. Believe it or not...a lot of spots you see are comp'd and just filled in by a board operator or master control at the last second.
That is exactly what the radio station told me. My 15-second adverts went into unpurchased slots within the time blocks I agreed to ahead of time.

Tahuyaman
01-31-2016, 11:47 AM
One thing which can't be disputed is that Fox News conducted a hard ball debate. They don't treat Republicans any differently than they do anyone else. They asked no softball questions like you see when liberal media people question Democrats. That's probably why you won't ever see Democrats debate each other on Fox News. Liberals don't want to face the same scrutiny.

Things like this should dispel the silly myth that Fox favors Republicans. But somehow I think the left wingers will figure out some stupid way to say I'm wrong.

Nutz
01-31-2016, 12:37 PM
One thing which can't be disputed is that Fox News conducted a hard ball debate. They don't treat Republicans any differently than they do anyone else. They asked no softball questions like you see when liberal media people question Democrats. That's probably why you won't ever see Democrats debate each other on Fox News. Liberals don't want to face the same scrutiny.

Things like this should dispel the silly myth that Fox favors Republicans. But somehow I think the left wingers will figure out some stupid way to say I'm wrong.
No...we will destroy ourselves on this one.

Tahuyaman
01-31-2016, 12:44 PM
No...we will destroy ourselves on this one.

who's the "we" you are talking about here?

Nutz
01-31-2016, 01:03 PM
who's the "we" you are talking about here?
true conservatives

Tahuyaman
01-31-2016, 01:13 PM
true conservatives

I thought you meant Republicans. It is true that Republucans seem to have the unique ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by destroying their own.