PDA

View Full Version : Hillary's (un)likability

JVV
01-30-2016, 10:23 PM
Hillary has problems.

One example, snipped from a long article:

"I am so conflicted. I think she’s incredibly smart, and nobody has more experience. As a female, I feel proud and validated by her candidacy. It’s really uncomfortable to want so much to like her, and to cringe when I’m forced to think about the things I don’t like."

The Women Who Should Love Hillary Clinton -- Gail Sheehy -- New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/opinion/campaign-stops/why-dont-boomer-women-like-hillary-clinton.html?ref=opinion)

The article has many examples discussing Clinton fatigue and a sense that her campaign is not needed like it was in 2008. It won't prove anything to elect her. In 2008, she already got America to believe that a woman was electable, so now people who might have fought to make that point are looking beyond that and focusing on other issues.

Another example from the article:

The Rev. Katrina Foster, a Lutheran pastor for 21 years, told me, “I’m no longer interested in the physical packaging of these candidates.” Pastor Foster, who is gay, acknowledged that Mrs. Clinton finally had the right position on gay issues. “But we now have won rights, I’m more concerned with what we have lost — what it means to be an American.” She is leaning toward supporting Bernie Sanders.

The author ends with this about herself:

After all these years of watching Hillary Clinton’s star as it rises, falls, but always rises again, I would love to be a true believer.

I’m feeling ambivalent.

Worth a read.

Green Arrow
01-30-2016, 10:27 PM
I don't know how anybody likes her, honestly. It's like with Ted Cruz, just listening to her talk turns me off.

JVV
01-31-2016, 01:00 AM
Last year I expected her to be more likable. I thought her grandma image would naturally round out her hard-hitting politician image.

But she doesn't seem to do anything very naturally. She is overplaying her gender and overplaying her grandma status.

In the debates, she shoehorns in mentions of Obama and when she can see the audience not responding as well to one of her answers as they did to Sanders, she tries to get some easy applause by mentioning how great the Democratic debates are in comparison to Republican debates. It sounds so contrived. As if right before the debate someone reminded her to mention that as much as possible.

All politicians do some boilerplate. I know that. They have to repeat themselves in their stump speeches. So a politician who can keep sounding sincere while being so repetitive is kinda special. And Hillary doesn't have that gift. She comes across as trying too hard. And then of course there's the fact that many of her positions differ from what she was saying a year or two ago. She can't seem to make up her mind from month to month how much she needs to distance herself from Obama or how much she needs to wrap herself up in Obama.

Green Arrow
01-31-2016, 01:07 AM
Last year I expected her to be more likable. I thought her grandma image would naturally round out her hard-hitting politician image.

But she doesn't seem to do anything very naturally. She is overplaying her gender and overplaying her grandma status.

In the debates, she shoehorns in mentions of Obama and when she can see the audience not responding as well to one of her answers as they did to Sanders, she tries to get some easy applause by mentioning how great the Democratic debates are in comparison to Republican debates. It sounds so contrived. As if right before the debate someone reminded her to mention that as much as possible.

All politicians do some boilerplate. I know that. They have to repeat themselves in their stump speeches. So a politician who can keep sounding sincere while being so repetitive is kinda special. And Hillary doesn't have that gift. She comes across as trying too hard. And then of course there's the fact that many of her positions differ from what she was saying a year or two ago. She can't seem to make up her mind from month to month how much she needs to distance herself from Obama or how much she needs to wrap herself up in Obama.

The most damning thing for me was all through this campaign, just about every time she was asked for her position on issues like the TPP and Keystone Pipeline, rather than give an answer she was like, "Oh, we'll release something on that in a few weeks." Why? Because she had to check the polls on those two issues first, naturally, to make sure she "releases" an opinion that is favorable.

decedent
01-31-2016, 05:36 AM
A photo of each candidate should be put on every ballot so that we know whether or not to vote for them.

Peter1469
01-31-2016, 08:06 AM
A photo of each candidate should be put on every ballot so that we know whether or not to vote for them.

Not sure if they still do it, but in Louisiana when I still lived there each candidate had a number assigned to them. So the people who couldn't read could vote for Candidate # x.

Bo-4
01-31-2016, 08:41 AM
Hillary is unlikable. But compared to Ted Cruz?

:D

Bo-4
01-31-2016, 08:42 AM
I don't know how anybody likes her, honestly. It's like with Ted Cruz, just listening to her talk turns me off.

I think it's called "shrill" .. both of them.

But i'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard than Ted. ;-)

Bo-4
01-31-2016, 08:44 AM
The most damning thing for me was all through this campaign, just about every time she was asked for her position on issues like the TPP and Keystone Pipeline, rather than give an answer she was like, "Oh, we'll release something on that in a few weeks." Why? Because she had to check the polls on those two issues first, naturally, to make sure she "releases" an opinion that is favorable.

Shrillary: "We haven't ran those focus groups yet."

Common
01-31-2016, 08:48 AM
If likability won this election NONE of the candidates would win. Ted Cruz is the most seedy unlikable dirtbag in the race

PolWatch
01-31-2016, 08:58 AM
I don't know anyone who really likes Clinton...but I also know people who don't really like anyone in the race (like me). We have a group of the most annoying people in the nation running for president. Voter turn out in this election could set new lows.

Bo-4
01-31-2016, 09:10 AM
I don't know anyone who really likes Clinton...but I also know people who don't really like anyone in the race (like me). We have a group of the most annoying people in the nation running for president. Voter turn out in this election could set new lows.

Never say that Pol - low turnout is bad for moderates, and i don't wish to drink oversteeped tea for the next four years.

Peter1469
01-31-2016, 09:14 AM
Voting for the lesser of two evils is for chumps.

PolWatch
01-31-2016, 09:23 AM
Never say that Pol - low turnout is bad for moderates, and i don't wish to drink oversteeped tea for the next four years.

I don't see establishment repubs voting for Trump or Cruz. I don't think there are enough extreme righties to carry the nation. Clinton has not inspired enthusiasm in any group except Wall Street. Sanders might be able to carry the party but I don't know about the nation.

There are too many people who are disgusted with the circus. This election is an episode of American Idol - Presidential Edition.

Mac-7
01-31-2016, 09:50 AM
I don't see establishment repubs voting for Trump or Cruz. I don't think there are enough extreme righties to carry the nation. Clinton has not inspired enthusiasm in any group except Wall Street. Sanders might be able to carry the party but I don't know about the nation.

There are too many people who are disgusted with the circus. This election is an episode of American Idol - Presidential Edition.

PolWatch thinks Trump is an extreme righty?

How far left do have to be to see him as right winger?

del
01-31-2016, 10:44 AM

yeah, the cognoscenti vote for people who have no chance

that'll teach them

Peter1469
01-31-2016, 11:38 AM
yeah, the cognoscenti vote for people who have no chance

that'll teach them

In the US the people who have a chance are the ones with either a (D) or (R) behind their names. And the American people seem to think there is a great difference in which lever they pull.

The globalist elites snicker.

JVV
01-31-2016, 12:18 PM
I think it's called "shrill" .. both of them.

But i'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard than Ted. ;-)

I don't listen to Ted.

Why are people talking about Ted? Do you think he has any chance of winning?

domer76
01-31-2016, 12:35 PM

So don't vote

Green Arrow
01-31-2016, 12:47 PM
So don't vote

Or, you know, vote for any of the other people on the ballot besides the D and R.