PDA

View Full Version : Same strange text editor behaviors as politicalforum.com?

pollycy
09-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Why do the "bold", "italics", and "underline" functions in the text editor behave so erratically? This is something that drove me nuts in politcialforum.com after they rolled out their "new and improved" forum site. Now, I notice the same text editor behaviors at this Forum, too. Please, say it ain't so!

By behaving erratically, specifically, I refer to the weird way that using any of these functions moves its effect over to the right by one character each time you try to use it. I've never seen a text editor behave this way except at politicalforum.com, and now, here in this forum.

Trinnity
09-11-2012, 08:09 AM
I don't know. I don't have that problem. Could it be your browser? I use firefox, but not the latest version - updating it seemed to cause me problems. OR maybe it could be a VBulletin software problem that perks up depending on the browser. All I can say, is I'm not having any problems.

pollycy
09-11-2012, 08:15 AM
I don't know. I don't have that problem. Could it be your browser? I use firefox, but not the latest version - updating it seemed to cause me problems. OR maybe it could be a VBulletin software problem that perks up depending on the browser. All I can say, is I'm not having any problems.

Thank you, Trinnity. I've been using IE9 and Firefox alternately, and I always install all the latest Windows updates promptly (which may or may not be a good thing). I'll try a few things now that I haven't tried before, including a complete uninstall and reinstall of Firefox. Thanks again!

Captain Obvious
09-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah, try FF. I use it and have never noticed that problem.

Calypso Jones
09-12-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm losing some posts. why is that?

Captain Obvious
09-12-2012, 05:26 PM
I have no idea. Can you be more specific?

Calypso Jones
09-12-2012, 05:34 PM
I post something, hit the button, it freezes... gives me option of leaving or staying on the page, seems to make that decision itself and then when it comes back...no post.

Captain Obvious
09-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Yeah - I have that problem.

My wireless feed sucks and it goes to a crawl at times, when that happens the server isn't connected and the browser times out.

My suggestion is - use the "auto save" feature (the site automatically saves posts in intervals before you actually post, it's not foolproof though) or just do as I do and copy your post before hitting SUBMIT, that way you at least have your post on your clipboard if it craps out.

It's not a site or server problem though, but a connection issue on your end.

Goldie Locks
09-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Clear your cookies and clean up your computer. You may actually have an error in your browser just from use or tracking cookies or Trojans. If no improvement uninstall your browser and reinstall.

pollycy
09-18-2012, 08:15 AM

Yes, indeed, switching over to Firefox exclusively fixed 99% of the text-editor problems. I've gone back through my IE9 settings/dependencies and can't find what's wrong, but going forward, it's not a problem. I'll just use Firefox. Thanks again! :laugh:

Smartmouthwoman
09-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Not a big deal, but irritating just the same. Why is it when you copy & paste some articles... you can't get a space in between the paragraphs? I put one in, then hit post and it's gone. Try again... same thing.

What's up with that? Anybody know?

Chris
09-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Chrome is even better. :-P

Trinnity
09-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Not a big deal, but irritating just the same. Why is it when you copy & paste some articles... you can't get a space in between the paragraphs? I put one in, then hit post and it's gone. Try again... same thing.

What's up with that? Anybody know?I wish I knew. It IS irritating. But overall, this version of VB is good. I like it.

Captain Obvious
09-18-2012, 04:43 PM
I dunno, SMW - I get that sometimes, not all the time.

I think it has something to do with the original formatting of the article and how this platform "interprets" that formatting, which is why it seems that some articles post cleanly and others don't.

Doesn't help much, but maybe it makes more sense.