PDA

View Full Version : North Korea ~ Launches Long-Range Missile

exotix
02-06-2016, 09:32 PM
*Breaking*

North Korea Launches Long-Range Rocket in Defiance of U.S. Ban

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/north-korea-launches-long-range-rocket-south-says-n512891

North Korea launched a long-range rocket on Sunday carrying what it has said is a satellite, South Korea's defense ministry said, in defiance of United Nations sanctions barring it from using ballistic missile technology.

The rocket was launched at around 9:30 a.m. Sunday local time (7:30 p.m. ET), and South Korea and the U.S. tracked its flight, South Korean and U.S. military officials said.

U.S. Strategic Command said it tracked the missile at 7:29 p.m. ET traveling in a southern direction over the Yellow Sea.

"At no time was the missile or the resultant debris a threat to the United States or its allies," U.S. Pacific Command said in a statement.

The launch vehicle appears to have reached space, a U.S. Defense Department official said.

Video Inside

A flying object soars into the air above North Korean territory as seen from the Chinese border city of Dandong, in this photo taken by Kyodo February 7, 2016.

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2016_05/1406746/2016-02-07t012431z_1785001683_gf10000298907_rtrmadp_3_nort hkorea-satellite_ee5c8eacc8d3e4b2610bb0f611d7a5f0.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

MisterVeritis
02-06-2016, 09:47 PM
*Breaking*

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/north-korea-launches-long-range-rocket-south-says-n512891

North Korea launched a long-range rocket on Sunday carrying what it has said is a satellite, South Korea's defense ministry said, in defiance of United Nations sanctions barring it from using ballistic missile technology.

The rocket was launched at around 9:30 a.m. Sunday local time (7:30 p.m. ET), and South Korea and the U.S. tracked its flight, South Korean and U.S. military officials said.

U.S. Strategic Command said it tracked the missile at 7:29 p.m. ET traveling in a southern direction over the Yellow Sea.

Here are my thoughts. Iran and North Korea are working together to create an electromagnetic pulse weapon delivered by ballistic missile using a southern approach to the US. In my opinion, the enhanced EMP weapon could be delivered with almost no warning. We would see the launch to the south. About 25-40 minutes later the weapon would detonate at an altitude of 200-300 miles above the geographic center of the nation. The electrical grid would effectively cease to exist. Game over.

Cigar
02-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Interesting ...

exotix
02-06-2016, 09:53 PM
Here are my thoughts. Iran and North Korea are working together to create an electromagnetic pulse weapon delivered by ballistic missile using a southern approach to the US. In my opinion, the enhanced EMP weapon could be delivered with almost no warning. We would see the launch to the south. About 25-40 minutes later the weapon would detonate at an altitude of 200-300 miles above the geographic center of the nation. The electrical grid would effectively cease to exist. Game over.This would be suicide ... especially with Obama as president.

MisterVeritis
02-06-2016, 09:59 PM
This would be suicide ... especially with Obama as president.
Nonsense. Nothing would happen to them. The US ceases to exist.

Imagine a slightly different scenario. This time the launch is from a ship at sea. We detect the launch. A half hour later the US ceases to exist. Now we cannot tell if the launch was from Iran, North Korea, China, Russia...or France.

Game over. Up to 90% of the US population dies in the first couple of months. After three or four days there are no more groceries. But what kills most people is the water with bacteria and viruses in it. Anyone in intensive care dies within the first week. The 140 dense urban centers will become unlivable. High rises will become unlivable in a day or two.

No one will care but replacing the thousand or so specialized transformers that move bulk energy to the regions will take a few decades to replace. There are only 20 or so places in the world that make them. And they all require tons of high-grade steel and copper wire. It takes about 16 months to create one. We would need about a thousand.

Cigar
02-06-2016, 10:00 PM
More Posturing ...

exotix
02-06-2016, 10:02 PM
Nonsense. Nothing would happen to them. The US ceases to exist.

Imagine a slightly different scenario. This time the launch is from a ship at sea. We detect the launch. A half hour later the US ceases to exist. Now we cannot tell if the launch was from Iran, North Korea, China, Russia...or France.

Game over. Up to 90% of the US population dies in the first couple of months. After three or four days there are no more groceries. But what kills most people is the water with bacteria and viruses in it. Anyone in intensive care dies within the first week. The 140 dense urban centers will become unlivable. High rises will become unlivable in a day or two.

No one will care but replacing the thousand or so specialized transformers that move bulk energy to the regions will take a few decades to replace. There are only 20 or so places in the world that make them. And they all require tons of high-grade steel and copper wire. It takes about 16 months to create one. We would need about a thousand.
I find it amazing how conservatives need America to be losers and victims .... as if they actually need to believe it and make it happen to get back into the Whitehouse.

MisterVeritis
02-06-2016, 10:04 PM
More Posturing ...
If you wanted to be extra sure use three weapons. One detonated somewhere inland over the Carolinas or slightly north. Another over Kansas. And a third well inland over northern California. The US and Canada go buh-bye in the blink of an eye.

And that is why Northern Command has moved back into Cheyenne Mountain.

MisterVeritis
02-06-2016, 10:06 PM
I find it amazing how conservatives need America to be losers and victims .... as if they actually need to believe it and make it happen to get back into the Whitehouse.
This was an area I spent roughly a year of my life studying. Believe it and prepare or smirk and die.

I suspect you will chose the second option.

exotix
02-06-2016, 10:12 PM
This was an area I spent roughly a year of my life studying. Believe it and prepare or smirk and die.

I suspect you will chose the second option.An Enhanced or Super EMP device is theoretical ... it only exists (nominally) when a nuclear device is detonated ... The Shield Act was mainly to address the EMP effects of Solar Flares ... there is no capability to destroy an entire nation with an EMP except in theory or fantasy.

MisterVeritis
02-06-2016, 10:23 PM
An Enhanced or Super EMP device is theoretical ... it only exists (nominally) when a nuclear device is detonated ... The Shield Act was mainly to address the EMP effects of Solar Flares ... there is no capability to destroy an entire nation with an EMP except in theory or fantasy.
It is evident in open source materials that the Russians sent some EMP scientists and engineers to North Korea some time back to help the effort.

My experience with electromagnetic pulse weapons goes back to the late 1980s. They are real. Enhanced electromagnetic pulse weapons are similar to what was called the neutron bomb. The real name, reduced blast, enhance radiation warhead, was too much for most people to remember. Similarly, enhancing certain characteristics of the weapon to create greater E1, E2, and E3 effects. has always been possible.

A nuclear weapon, enhanced for its electromagnetic pulse effects, might not have to be much larger than 50-100 kilotons. Some experts have speculated that the weapon could be as small as 12-20 kilotons and take out nearly the entire electrical grid. But if you are an unbeliever then use three.

In my opinion, a single weapon detonated over the eastern grid would be sufficient to end the US as a viable nation. About 2/3rds of the nation's people would be affected.

Solar flares are a minor problem. It is the coronal mass ejection that could be a planet killer.

Peter1469
02-06-2016, 11:00 PM
An Enhanced or Super EMP device is theoretical ... it only exists (nominally) when a nuclear device is detonated ... The Shield Act was mainly to address the EMP effects of Solar Flares ... there is no capability to destroy an entire nation with an EMP except in theory or fantasy.

The Shield Act didn't pass. But thanks for trying to be relevant.

Check out what the EMP commission said (http://www.empcommission.org/). Possibly 90% of the US population dead one year after an EMP attack.

exotix
02-06-2016, 11:16 PM

Check out what the EMP commission said (http://www.empcommission.org/). Possibly 90% of the US population dead one year after an EMP attack.All BS that came during the Bush despotism.

Peter1469
02-06-2016, 11:18 PM
All BS that came during the Bush despotism.

I make it a rule to not mock retarded people.

Tahuyaman
02-06-2016, 11:24 PM

Check out what the EMP commission said (http://www.empcommission.org/). Possibly 90% of the US population dead one year after an EMP attack.

i think that may the first time I've seen him try to look like anything other than a nit-wit

All BS that came during the Bush despotism.

Well, so much for that....

exotix
02-06-2016, 11:25 PM
I make it a rule to not mock retarded people.
No sweat ... simply show in the reports where 90% of the nation would be destroyed due to a (high-altitude) EMP ... pure fantasy where even the mere conjecture suggesting as such is absent.

Peter1469
02-06-2016, 11:27 PM
No sweat ... simply show in the reports where 90% of the nation would be destroyed due to a (high-altitude) EMP ... pure fantasy where even the mere conjecture suggesting as such is absent.

Num-nuts, I posted the EMP report to Congress.

My God, is there anyone more dense....

Peter1469
02-06-2016, 11:28 PM
Hemlock isn't a poison. Chew on it.

exotix
02-06-2016, 11:33 PM
Num-nuts, I posted the EMP report to Congress.

My God, is there anyone more dense....I just perused all the reports ... not one mention of the destruction of America with a (high-altitude) EMP ... the worst case scenario is a temporary loss of communications on a small area and that's if the prevailing winds of the jet-stream are perfect ... further, its only talking about the EMP accompanying the detonation of a nuclear device ...

All this was known after Hiroshima & Nagasaki.

MisterVeritis
02-07-2016, 11:11 AM
The nation will end as soon as there is no means to communicate. The electromagnetic pulse, from enhanced or "standard" nuclear bursts, will damage or destroy transformers, break long wire runs, as well as cause other permanent damage to electronics caused by the transient radiation effects on electronics.

Once electricity flow is distrupted, or ended, the rest of the critical infrastructures collapse. In my opinion the most important of those in the near term will be the loss of clean water and sewage disruption. The near term killers will be waterborne diseases. Hunger will weaken many who will die from opportunistic diseases.

Believe it or not. It is all the same to me.

MisterVeritis
02-07-2016, 11:16 AM
I just perused all the reports ... not one mention of the destruction of America with a (high-altitude) EMP ... the worst case scenario is a temporary loss of communications on a small area and that's if the prevailing winds of the jet-stream are perfect ... further, its only talking about the EMP accompanying the detonation of a nuclear device ...

All this was known after Hiroshima & Nagasaki.
The first study of EMP occurred after a test in the Pacific.

I am impressed you were able to find and evaluate "all of the reports" in an evening. I spent almost a year. I had the help of two corporate library assistants who searched for electronic records and organized them for me in file folders covering roughly a dozen sub-topic areas.

Winds have nothing to do with EMP.

exotix
02-07-2016, 11:22 AM
The first study of EMP occurred after a test in the Pacific.

I am impressed you were able to find and evaluate "all of the reports" in an evening. I spent almost a year. I had the help of two corporate library assistants who searched for electronic records and organized them for me in file folders covering roughly a dozen sub-topic areas.

Winds have nothing to do with EMP.
First, I'm a speed-reader ... second, you didn't read the reports ... third, read 'em and weep ... LOL

exotix
02-07-2016, 11:25 AM
The nation will end as soon as there is no means to communicate. The electromagnetic pulse, from enhanced or "standard" nuclear bursts, will damage or destroy transformers, break long wire runs, as well as cause other permanent damage to electronics caused by the transient radiation effects on electronics.

Once electricity flow is distrupted, or ended, the rest of the critical infrastructures collapse. In my opinion the most important of those in the near term will be the loss of clean water and sewage disruption. The near term killers will be waterborne diseases. Hunger will weaken many who will die from opportunistic diseases.

Believe it or not. It is all the same to me.Mere undergrad hypotheticals ... with the attendant notion that only Big Govt. can monitor these kinds of threats ... you know, the Big Govt. right-wing wackos want to abolish.

MisterVeritis
02-07-2016, 11:27 AM
First, I'm a speed-reader ... second, you didn't read the reports ... third, read 'em and weep ... LOL
I see no reason to try to reason with a fool. Buh-bye.

exotix
02-07-2016, 11:40 AM
I see no reason to try to reason with a fool. Buh-bye.You're dealing with somebody who used to catch Bat-Rays off Scripps Pier for cutting-edge research at the University of San Diego ... where they were used to study their radar and sonar ... and to implement for submarines ... this is important, because this technology is relatively new ... understanding how and why creatures can capture their own echos, distinguish others and most important, why creatures ... such as birds can fly in flocks by the thousands and never bump into each other ...

This science is called *phantom-ization * ... the attempt to create or block frequencies and pulses and identify exactly what they are ...

Mac-7
02-07-2016, 11:45 AM
This would be suicide ... especially with Obama as president.

Don't make me laugh

Obumer would sue them in the world court

After he apologized again for the sins of America

exotix
02-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Don't make me laugh

Obumer would sue them in the world court

After he apologized again for the sins of AmericaAs I remember, your boy Bush was creating a genocide in Iraq while North Korea and Iran evolved their nuclear bombs.

Mac-7
02-07-2016, 11:56 AM
As I remember, your boy Bush was creating a genocide in Iraq while North Korea and Iran evolved their nuclear bombs.

We could have knocked out n Korea but all the allies were afraid to do it

Maybe you can indirectly blame bush for spending his political capital on Iraq when Iran and n Korea were the bigger threat

And Bill Clinton too since he was the first one to drop the ball

Peter1469
02-07-2016, 02:47 PM
The EMP Commission (http://www.empcommission.org). Lots of info in there.

waltky
06-22-2016, 07:22 AM
No. Korea gettin' closer to missiles that can reach the U.S....
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/icon_omg.gif
N. Korea test fires two powerful, mid-range missiles
June 22, 2016 • Nuclear-armed North Korea conducted two back-to-back tests of a powerful new medium-range missile on Wednesday, with both achieving a significant increase in flight distance over previous failed launches, South Korea's Defence Ministry said. Both tests were believed to be of a much-hyped, intermediate-range Musudan missile -- theoretically capable of reaching US bases as far away as Guam.

International condemnation was swift, with the United States, NATO and Japan labelling the launches a clear violation of UN resolutions, and South Korea vowing to push for tighter sanctions on Pyongyang. Existing UN Security Council measures ban North Korea from any use of ballistic missile technology. The first test shortly before 6:00 am (2100 GMT Tuesday) was deemed to have failed after reportedly flying around 150 kilometres (90 miles) over the East Sea (Sea of Japan).

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/I4xbmUFBzNSUqEr_BJAzEQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9MTI4MDtoPTk2MDtpbD 1wbGFuZQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/afp.com/d7809f5d335b170107e682db22639fec8c0cbf61.jpg

According to Japanese military monitors, the second missile attained a height of 1,000 kilometres and a range of 400 kilometres -- a trajectory some experts suggested was calculated to avoid any violation of Japanese air space. Four failed Musudan tests earlier this year all either exploded on the mobile launch pad or shortly after take-off. A successful test would mark a major step forward for a weapons programme that ultimately aspires to develop a proven nuclear strike capability against the US mainland.

- Worrying progress -

Melissa Hanham, an expert on North Korea's WMD programme at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in California, said Wednesday's launches represented a worrying step forward. "The second was likely a success. Testing is iterative and they are learning from each flight," Hanham told AFP. "Policymakers need to focus on a testing ban to prevent this from becoming a working missile," she added. US State Department spokesman John Kirby said the latest launches would only increase global efforts to counter North Korea's illicit weapons programme. "W‎e intend to raise our concerns at the UN to bolster international resolve in holding (North Korea) accountable for these provocative actions," Kirby said in a statement. Japanese broadcaster NHK quoted Prime Minister Shinzo Abe as saying such tests "cannot be tolerated", while NATO "strongly condemned" the launch in a statement from its secretary general.

South Korea's foreign ministry warned that North Korea would face even stronger sanctions and said the tests underlined "the hypocrisy and deceptiveness" of Pyongyang's recent offers of military talks with Seoul. China, traditionally the North's closest ally, cautioned against "any action that may escalate tension" and called for a resumed dialogue on the North's nuclear programme. First unveiled as an indigenous missile at a military parade in Pyongyang in October 2010, the Musudan has a theoretical range of anywhere between 2,500 and 4,000 kilometres. The lower estimate covers the whole of South Korea and Japan, while the upper range would include US military bases on Guam.

- String of failures - (https://www.yahoo.com/news/n-korea-test-fires-missile-korea-214300787.html?ref=gs)

See also:

North Korea makes apparent progress with midrange missile
Jun 22,`16 ) -- North Korea took a significant step Wednesday in the development of a powerful ballistic missile intended to reach U.S. bases in the Pacific, launching one of the weapons about 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) high after five failed attempts in recent months.

The North's suspected Musudan tests worry Washington and its allies, Tokyo and Seoul, because the missile's potential 3,500-kilometer (2,180-mile) range puts much of Asia and the Pacific, including U.S. military bases there, within reach. Japanese Defense Minister Gen Nakatani said the most recent launch demonstrated a "certain level of capability," and could lead to a further strengthening of North Korea's ballistic missile capabilities that can cover Japanese territory. Each new test - apparently linked to a command from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un - likely provides valuable insights to the North's scientists and military officials as they push toward their goal of a nuclear and missile program that can threaten the U.S. mainland. Pyongyang earlier this year conducted a nuclear test, its fourth, and launched a long-range rocket that outsiders say was a cover for a test of banned missile technology.

A statement from South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said a suspected first Musudan launch from the east coast city of Wonsan failed. It didn't elaborate, but Japan's Defense Ministry said the missile fragmented and pieces fell into waters off the Korean Peninsula's east coast. Later Wednesday, the South's military said the North fired another suspected Musudan, which flew about 400 kilometers (245 miles). Seoul didn't immediately classify this launch as either a success or failure. Japan's Defense Ministry said that its radar analysis found that the missile reached an altitude exceeding 1,000 kilometers (620 miles), which suggests it was a Musudan missile.

http://hosted.ap.org/photos/E/e2e7ac7bb56e4e1db7259bcd5c320a5b_0-big.jpg
A man watches a TV news program reporting about a missile launch of North Korea, at the Seoul Train Station in Seoul, South Korea. In a remarkable show of persistence, North Korea on Wednesday, June 22, 2016, fired two suspected powerful new Musudan mid-range missiles, U.S. and South Korean military officials said, but at least one of the launches apparently failed, Pyongyang's fifth such reported flop since April. The letters read on top left: "Fail, North Korea's Musudan missile."

"We have to see it as a success," Lee Choon Geun, an analyst at South Korea's state-funded Science and Technology Policy Institute, said of the second launch. "No other (previous) missiles fired by North Korea have ever flown that high." The U.S. Strategic Command in Hawaii said its systems detected and tracked two suspected North Korean Musudan missiles that fell into the Sea of Japan. They didn't pose a threat to North America, it said. In April, North Korea attempted unsuccessfully to launch three suspected Musudan missiles, but all exploded midair or crashed, according to South Korean defense officials. Earlier this month, North Korea had another suspected Musudan failure, South Korean officials said.

Before April's launches, North Korea had never flight-tested a Musudan missile, although one was displayed during a military parade in 2010 in Pyongyang. The launches appear to stem from Kim Jong Un's order in March for more nuclear and ballistic missile tests. The order was an apparent response to springtime U.S.-South Korean military drills, which North Korea views as an invasion rehearsal.

MORE (http://www.newsforum.com/breaking-news/127277-n-korea-test-fires-two-powerful-mid-range-missiles.html)

Related:

North Korea missiles 'a serious threat' after new tests
Wed, 22 Jun 2016 - Japan warns North Korean missiles pose "a serious threat" after the country carries out new tests in defiance of international sanctions.

North Korea launched two missiles within hours of each other, with one flying about 400km (250 miles) and reaching an altitude of 1,000km. A confirmed successful test would mark a step forward for North Korea after four failed launches in recent months. South Korea, the US and Nato have also expressed alarm over the latest tests. Both launches are believed to have been intermediate-range Musudan missiles, whose range of about 3,000km is enough to hit South Korea, Japan and the US territory of Guam in the Western Pacific

A suspected first launch failed, South Korean officials said, travelling about 150km before landing in the sea. But the second showed what Japanese Defence Minister Gen Nakatani called "some capability". "I believe the missiles are a serious threat to our country," he said. North Korea, which is developing nuclear weapons, is banned by UN resolutions from any use of ballistic missile technology. In January it conducted its fourth nuclear test, claiming it as its first use a hydrogen bomb. Shortly after that it launched a satellite, widely seen as a test of long-range missile technology.

Washington watches on, by Jonathan Marcus, BBC Defence & Diplomatic Correspondent

This is at least the fifth test of the Musudan medium-range missile in the past few months and while most have ended in failure, one of the latest pair fired does seem to have travelled at a high trajectory for some 400km. The Musudan appears to be based on the technology of an old Russian Soviet-era submarine launched missile. It is carried on a wheeled launcher and was first seen in parades back in 2003, though it was never test-fired until April of this year. Experts believe the weapon is intended to be able to strike US bases on Guam, but North Korea's ultimate goal is to be able to threaten the continental United States.

North Korea's progress is mixed and erratic. But it is clearly determined and its missile and associated nuclear weapons programme means that its rocket tests are being carefully watched by Washington. South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said Seoul and the US were "carrying out an in-depth analysis" of the second missile, and did not say whether they considered it a success. Several analysts were less cautious though. Jeffrey Lewis, of the California-based Middlebury Institute of International Studies, tweeted: "That's a successful test folks."

In other reaction: (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36595113)

exotix
06-22-2016, 07:25 AM
http://i63.tinypic.com/b3x5ip.gif

donttread
06-22-2016, 07:51 AM
*Breaking*

"At no time was the missile or the resultant debris a threat to the United States or its allies," U.S. Pacific Command said in a statement.

The launch vehicle appears to have reached space, a U.S. Defense Department official said.

Video Inside

A flying object soars into the air above North Korean territory as seen from the Chinese border city of Dandong, in this photo taken by Kyodo February 7, 2016.

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2016_05/1406746/2016-02-07t012431z_1785001683_gf10000298907_rtrmadp_3_nort hkorea-satellite_ee5c8eacc8d3e4b2610bb0f611d7a5f0.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

Of all the things to be concerned with about N. Korea, I think a satelite falls pretty far down the list

Peter1469
06-22-2016, 08:43 AM
http://i63.tinypic.com/b3x5ip.gif

troll

Bo-4
06-22-2016, 08:53 AM
Looks like another failure for Little Kim.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-satellite-idUSKCN0VR2R3