PDA

View Full Version : Vicious Krugman piece

Mister D
09-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Snip

What happened after 9/11 — and I think even people on the right know this, whether they admit it or not — was deeply shameful. The atrocity should have been a unifying event, but instead it became a wedge issue. Fake heroes like Bernie Kerik, Rudy Giuliani, and, yes, George W. Bush raced to cash in on the horror. And then the attack was used to justify an unrelated war the neocons wanted to fight, for all the wrong reasons.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/the-years-of-shame/?scp=2&sq=krugman&st=cse

Here are some reader responses. ;D
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/13/opinion/a-furor-over-paul-krugmans-911-blog-post.html?_r=2]
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/13/opinion/a-furor-over-paul-krugmans-911-blog-post.html?_r=2 (http://[url)

Conley
09-13-2011, 01:04 PM
He removed the comments:

"The memory of 9/11 has been irrevocably poisoned; it has become an occasion for shame. And in its heart, the nation knows it.

I’m not going to allow comments on this post, for obvious reasons."

That was a very short piece. Was there more ???

Conley
09-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Oh, the link was broken

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/13/opinion/a-furor-over-paul-krugmans-911-blog-post.html

Mister D
09-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Whoops. It's still a pretty short piece.

Conley
09-13-2011, 01:22 PM

He's not going to allow comments because everyone will tell him what a gaping a-hole he is.

Mister D
09-13-2011, 01:32 PM

He's not going to allow comments because everyone will tell him what a gaping a-hole he is.

Exactly. still, he must have felt pretty strongly about this to have submitted it on 9/11 no less.

Conley
09-13-2011, 01:35 PM

Exactly. still, he must have felt pretty strongly about this to have submitted it on 9/11 no less.

I often think journalists deliberately write controversial statements to increase readership, pageviews, etc. but I don't think he'd be so heinous to do that on 9/11. The irony of saying it should have been a unifying event while at the same time using it as political fodder himself seems to have been lost on him though, so maybe he really is that clueless.

Mister D
09-13-2011, 01:37 PM

I often think journalists deliberately write controversial statements to increase readership, pageviews, etc. but I don't think he'd be so heinous to do that on 9/11. The irony of saying it should have been a unifying event while at the same time using it as political fodder himself seems to have been lost on him though, so maybe he really is that clueless.

Yeah, some commentators made the same point.

MMC
09-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah he wants to spout off and then wants no flak. Well he should have thought about that once he decided to put himself out into the lime-light. People should walk right up to him and play Madonna on his azz. Express Yo-Self! O0 >:D

Mister D
09-13-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm sure even some of his fans were put off by that.

Conley
09-14-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm sure even some of his fans were put off by that.

There is no doubt. It'd be nice to see the NYT suspend him for a time but I doubt it will happen. I wonder if they will offer any apology? It is offensive...and in a New York paper no less. I wonder where Krugman lives. Connecticut?

wingrider
09-14-2011, 08:46 AM
it looks like Rumsfeld has dropped his prescription to the NYT over this.

He was on Fox this morning and said he can no longer put up with what the Times are promoting. He also said he has been a subscriber for nearly 50 years but this kind of journalism is just way over the top

MMC
09-14-2011, 09:00 AM

He was on Fox this morning and said he can no longer put up with what the Times are promoting. He also said he has been a subscriber for nearly 50 years but this kind of journalism is just way over the top

Great a Chicken-Hawk Speak out first. See thats where we need to get someone who does bring back bad memories to mind when talking about such. We can't use failed Morons as way to speak out. No Doubt Rumsfeld goes down in History as the Worst DOD we Ever Had. Or Will have!

Mister D
09-14-2011, 09:17 AM

Great a Chicken-Hawk Speak out first. See thats where we need to get someone who does bring back bad memories to mind when talking about such. We can't use failed Morons as way to speak out. No Doubt Rumsfeld goes down in History as the Worst DOD we Ever Had. Or Will have!

Chicken hawk? What makes you think so?

MMC
09-14-2011, 09:45 AM

He avoided the Draft like Cheney.....all one need do is look up Rumsfeld and Cheney back with Nixon. Course he did not defer as many times as Cheney did. Still Rumsfeld is a coward and he can never change those stripes.

Juggernaut
09-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Krugman should be forced into retirement. His mental decline started with the dimpled chad vote and has grown. One would think electing Obama would have healed him but his illness grew as people rejected BO and now he embarasses the treason times. Why would they allow this blog? Would a conservative writer get so many free passes? Doubt it!

I get the best times articles via cnsnews.com along with a collective of other papers via email. The Washington Times is free, why would I pay for a paper when I can get it free and read the free competition that uses traditional media writers?

Mister D
09-14-2011, 08:58 PM

He avoided the Draft like Cheney.....all one need do is look up Rumsfeld and Cheney back with Nixon. Course he did not defer as many times as Cheney did. Still Rumsfeld is a coward and he can never change those stripes.

Those are strong words, MMC.

Conley
09-14-2011, 09:00 PM

Strong but I can see his point.

Mister D
09-14-2011, 09:02 PM

Strong but I can see his point.

I can too. I'm just not sure it 's fair (or logical, for that matter) to suggest that a man will forever be condemned as a hypocrite if he supports a war because he avoided service at some point.

Conley
09-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Ah. I guess in my mind it is the combination of avoiding service when it was being asked of so many plus being a driving force that had little to do with U.S. security. It's a complicated subject, and truthfully I have a pretty good buzz on. O0

Mister D
09-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Ah. I guess in my mind it is the combination of avoiding service when it was being asked of so many plus being a driving force that had little to do with U.S. security. It's a complicated subject, and truthfully I have a pretty good buzz on. O0

I understand where MMC is coming from and I realize he is invested emotionally having served n Vietnam.

Conley
09-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I can't even imagine...

MMC
09-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Trust me I have np bringing it to the Dems with the Screw up with NAM.....but then Cheney and Rumsfeld have never been anything but Cowards who would seek any and all excuses to not serve and put their ass on the front line.

So yeah I would take issue with a couple of guys who did not understand what they were getting our Troopers into. Also that they were soaking it up personally while puting our men and women in Harms Way.

wingrider
09-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Trust me I have np bringing it to the Dems with the Screw up with NAM.....but then Cheney and Rumsfeld have never been anything but Cowards who would seek any and all excuses to not serve and put their ass on the front line.

So yeah I would take issue with a couple of guys who did not understand what they were getting our Troopers into. Also that they were soaking it up personally while puting our men and women in Harms Way.

MMC you seem to have issues with rumsfeld and cheney NP..

but what are your thoughts about the 2 guys that got us into that fiasco

namely Kennedy and LBJ?

if it werent for their lies and distortions no american lives would have been lost

MMC
09-15-2011, 01:19 AM

MMC you seem to have issues with rumsfeld and cheney NP..

but what are your thoughts about the 2 guys that got us into that fiasco

namely Kennedy and LBJ?

if it werent for their lies and distortions no american lives would have been lost

Oh you know me Lo.....I pretty much took on the whole Hair Corp Club and their wannabe's on that issue. As they tried to blame Republicans. Once again history repeats itself eh. The Dems outwitted and out played and out manuevered by the French again. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. There should be no third time.

Even worse was McNamara.....all of them pencil pushing pukes. They all knew what they were getting us into. The knew it from history and they didnt tell anybody. Until after we were in-country.

Althought I do give Kennedy his Props and the most famous Speech of His, wherein he told all Ask not what your Country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. Something the left forgot about Completely.

wingrider
09-15-2011, 01:23 AM
in retrospect on kennedys sppech of" ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country" I have to think he was already planning that invasion and needed to get the people fired up to follow him into war.

or is that a conspiracy theory? my bad

MMC
09-15-2011, 06:07 AM
in retrospect on kennedys sppech of" ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country" I have to think he was already planning that invasion and needed to get the people fired up to follow him into war.

Same type of deal wherein Our Allies asked for help.....course there was the mindset of stopping the spread of Communism. We see how that worked. Plus the Cold War.

Mister D
09-15-2011, 07:41 AM

Same type of deal wherein Our Allies asked for help.....course there was the mindset of stopping the spread of Communism. We see how that worked. Plus the Cold War.

Yes. It worked well. :)

MMC
09-15-2011, 07:50 AM

Yes it did.....other than Nam and few other countries turning to communism. Still same Identical moves by the French other than recognizing the Viet-Cong as the ruling Government. Like they did with the Libyan Rebels. Their new wrinkle due to that EU Blastzone with the IMF.

Mister D
09-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Yes it did.....other than Nam and few other countries turning to communism. Still same Identical moves by the French other than recognizing the Viet-Cong as the ruling Government. Like they did with the Libyan Rebels. Their new wrinkle due to that EU Blastzone with the IMF.

Vietnam turned communist because we left. In any case, our stand in Vietnam made the impression it was supposed to on the Soviets and Chinese.

MMC
09-15-2011, 08:46 AM

Vietnam turned communist because we left. In any case, our stand in Vietnam made the impression it was supposed to on the Soviets and Chinese.

Yeah and Reagan finalized it! Now Vietnam does more buisness with us than they do China. Their version is slightly different than the Chinese.

Mister D
09-15-2011, 09:14 AM

Yeah and Reagan finalized it! Now Vietnam does more buisness with us than they do China. Their version is slightly different than the Chinese.

Communism is all but dead. I think both the Chinese and Vietnamese have abandoned it. Certainly the Marxist economic model.

MMC
09-15-2011, 09:22 AM

Communism is all but dead. I think both the Chinese and Vietnamese have abandoned it. Certainly the Marxist economic model.

Woke up and went for the money..... ;)

Mister D
09-15-2011, 09:24 AM

Woke up and went for the money..... ;)

Yeah, pretty much. ;D