PDA

View Full Version : Farm Contractors Balk At Obamacare Requirements

Peter1469
02-09-2016, 06:46 PM
Farm Contractors Balk At Obamacare Requirements (http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/02/09/464721340/farm-contractors-balk-at-obamacare-requirements)

Another group is upset over Obamacare.

Obamacare is putting the agricultural industry in a tizzy.

Many contractors who provide farm labor and must now offer workers health insurance are complaining loudly about the cost in their already low-margin business.

Some are also concerned that the forms they must file with the federal government under the Affordable Care Act will bring immigration problems to the fore. About half of the farm labor workforce (http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/farm-economy/farm-labor/background.aspx) in the U.S. is undocumented.

"There's definitely going to be some repercussions to it," says Jesse Sandoval, a farm labor contractor based in Stockton, Calif. "I think there's going to be some things that cannot be ignored."

Sandoval came to an educational conference for farm labor contractors — essentially staffing agencies for field workers — held at the San Joaquin County Agricultural Center in Stockton in the fall. Men with broad shoulders, wearing denim jackets and cowboy hats, sat in the audience, listening to lectures on a litany of laws and rules regulating their industry, including Obamacare's employer mandate.

Common Sense
02-09-2016, 06:49 PM
This should be interesting. They're mad because they hire illegals (and I've been told real Americans want those jobs) and they have to provide health insurance for their workers? These farmers realize that they benefit from social assistance, do they not?

Peter1469
02-09-2016, 07:05 PM
This should be interesting. They're mad because they hire illegals (and I've been told real Americans want those jobs) and they have to provide health insurance for their workers? These farmers realize that they benefit from social assistance, do they not?

Illegal immigration has a lot to do with it. If they have to cover them with health insurance they will also have to start paying taxes. That is going to make it easy to find out which are here illegally.

Crepitus
02-09-2016, 08:12 PM
How horrible that they should have to provide some basic needs to the people.who work for.them and hire people who are legal to work in the US.

What is this country coming to?

Peter1469
02-09-2016, 09:22 PM
We might see the price of food go up.

Doublejack
02-09-2016, 09:39 PM
How is this not a good thing?

Peter1469
02-09-2016, 09:40 PM
Food prices go up?

Crepitus
02-09-2016, 09:49 PM
We might see the price of food go up.

Food prices go up?

Yes, it probably will, but you can't have it both ways. If you want the illegals out you are gonna hafta pay a decent wage to attract Americans to the jobs.

Doublejack
02-09-2016, 09:53 PM
Food prices go up?

In a country of fatties.

Peter1469
02-09-2016, 09:53 PM
I know.

Doublejack
02-09-2016, 10:00 PM
We've got a seemingly unlimited supply of manual labor were already paying for in state prisons.