PDA

View Full Version : Remember that Democrat who criticized Obama for not doing enough?

JVV
02-12-2016, 02:31 AM
What was his name? Let me think. It's on the tip of my tongue. Oh yeah .... Bill Clinton ......

November 2011:

Bill Clinton has advice, and some criticism, for President Obama in new book (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bill-clinton-has-advice-and-some-criticism-for-president-obama-in-new-book/2011/11/03/gIQA1xhLmM_story.html)

President Obama and his Democratic allies made two key political missteps in recent years, according to former president Bill Clinton in a new book to be released Tuesday.

First was not raising the federal debt ceiling in the first two years of the president’s term, when Democrats still had a majority in Congress, and then failing to devise an effective national campaign message during the midterm elections of 2010.

Clinton also suggests, obliquely, that Obama’s criticism of Wall Street has been too harsh and counterproductive.

The volume is dense with criticism of Republicans; it devotes substantial attention to what Clinton describes as the GOP’s relentless “antigovernment ideology,” identified as the cause of the anemic economy, high unemployment and American inability to compete on the world stage.

But the subtext of the book is that Obama has struggled, both to identify workable economic policies and to outmaneuver his Republican foes.

In new book, Bill Clinton criticizes President Obama for debt-ceiling crisis (http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/191999-clinton-criticizes-obama-for-debt-ceiling-crisis-in-new-book)

Former President Bill Clinton criticizes President Obama for his handling of the debt ceiling in a new book, arguing that Obama should have increased the limit while Democrats still controlled Congress.

Clinton says that last summer's political fight over the debt limit and the risk of defaulting on the debt made the U.S. look "weak and confused," according to the Associated Press, which received an advance copy of Clinton's book, titled "Back to Work."

He says the final deal, which raised the debt limit, cut spending and charged a special congressional committee to find an additional $1.5 trillion in savings, did little to boost the economy or solve the nation's longterm debt problem.

The book is scheduled for release on Tuesday.

Overall, Clinton praises Obama for preventing a financial collapse at the beginning of his presidency and for taking steps to pull the nation out of a lingering recession. Clinton also pushes for Obama's jobs bill, the New York Times reports in its preview of the book. The president claims the bill would create millions of jobs.

But Clinton worries that Obama has not been effective in explaining his policies to the public. Clinton said that he took it upon himself to explain the administration's economic policies "in plain language" as he campaigned on behalf of Democrats around the country leading up to the 2010 midterm elections.

JVV
02-12-2016, 02:33 AM
And that lady? You know ... the one who kinda reamed Obama over his foreign policy when his poll numbers were so low and she thought she needed to put some distance between herself and Obama ....

What was that zinger she made about him a couple of years ago?

“Great nations need organizing principles, and ‘Don’t do stupid stuff’ is not an organizing principle.”

Hillary Clinton: 'Failure' to Help Syrian Rebels Led to the Rise of ISIS - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/08/hillary-clinton-failure-to-help-syrian-rebels-led-to-the-rise-of-isis/375832/)

President Obama has long ridiculed the idea that the U.S., early in the Syrian civil war, could have shaped the forces fighting the Assad regime, thereby stopping al Qaeda-inspired groups—like the one rampaging across Syria and Iraq today—from seizing control of the rebellion. In an interview in February, the president told me that “when you have a professional army ... fighting against a farmer, a carpenter, an engineer who started out as protesters and suddenly now see themselves in the midst of a civil conflict—the notion that we could have, in a clean way that didn’t commit U.S. military forces, changed the equation on the ground there was never true.”

Well, his former secretary of state, Hillary Rodham Clinton, isn’t buying it. In an interview with me earlier this week, she used her sharpest language yet to describe the "failure" that resulted from the decision to keep the U.S. on the sidelines during the first phase of the Syrian uprising.

“The failure to help build up a credible fighting force of the people who were the originators of the protests against Assad—there were Islamists, there were secularists, there was everything in the middle—the failure to do that left a big vacuum, which the jihadists have now filled,” Clinton said.

As she writes in her memoir of her State Department years, Hard Choices, she was an inside-the-administration advocate of doing more to help the Syrian rebellion. Now, her supporters argue, her position has been vindicated by recent events.

Professional Clinton-watchers (and there are battalions of them) have told me that it is only a matter of time before she makes a more forceful attempt to highlight her differences with the (unpopular) president she ran against, and then went on to serve. On a number of occasions during my interview with her, I got the sense that this effort is already underway. (And for what it's worth, I also think she may have told me that she’s running for president—see below for her not-entirely-ambiguous nod in that direction.)

Of course, Clinton had many kind words for the “incredibly intelligent” and “thoughtful” Obama, and she expressed sympathy and understanding for the devilishly complicated challenges he faces. But she also suggested that she finds his approach to foreign policy overly cautious, and she made the case that America needs a leader who believes that the country, despite its various missteps, is an indispensable force for good. At one point, I mentioned the slogan President Obama recently coined to describe his foreign-policy doctrine: “Don’t do stupid shit” (an expression often rendered as “Don’t do stupid stuff” in less-than-private encounters).

This is what Clinton said about Obama’s slogan: “Great nations need organizing principles, and ‘Don’t do stupid stuff’ is not an organizing principle.”

Peter1469
02-12-2016, 03:07 AM
Supporting the destabilization of Syria helped spread ISIL....

Cigar
02-12-2016, 08:59 AM
Any Leader who can't take or handle criticism, isn't a Leader.

Peter1469
02-12-2016, 04:51 PM

Obama.

President Obama has a well-known tendency to resent criticism. Many who know him call him “thin-skinned.” (http://www.burtfolsom.com/?p=1910)

Mac-7
02-12-2016, 05:24 PM

Obumer has very thin skin

Green Arrow
02-12-2016, 05:47 PM
I thought Bernie handled her baseless and childish attack well. She thought she could hit him with a dishonest gutpunch at the end of the debate so he wouldn't have a chance to respond.