PDA

View Full Version : tPF Why Hillary Clinton Has More Delegates Than Bernie Sanders

TrueBlue
02-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Why Hillary Clinton Has More Delegates Than Bernie Sanders
By ALANA ABRAMSON

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hillary-clinton-delegates-bernie-sanders/story?id=36865232

"To win the Democratic nomination, a candidate must obtain a certain number of delegates -- individuals who will cast votes at the DNC convention this summer. But there are two types of delegates in the Democratic party: pledged delegates, which are generally based on vote count, and unpledged delegates, or superdelegates (http://abcnews.go.com/topics/news/elections/superdelegates.htm). The latter include former and current Democratic leaders and elected officials, including presidents, vice presidents, governors and senators. They can select the candidate of their choosing, wherever they want and whenever they want - and can switch at any time."

"Sanders leads in pledged delegates; he has 36 while Clinton has 32, according to ABC News estimates. But Clinton has a huge lead in superdelegates, with 362 to Sanders' 8. (There are a total of 712 superdelegates). In New Hampshire for instance, Clinton currently has the support of 6 of the state's 8 superdelegates, which accounts for her total win of 15 delegates. Sanders picked up none (two have yet to decide)."

=========================
Thanks to ABC News for this report.

Imho, there isn't anything legally wrong with the system as it stands. Of course, the political party or candidate not being given as many delegates as the one ahead of them will cry foul but as they say -- "That's Politics!"

Notice: This Is A WARNING To Everyone Participating In This Thread.
In This Thread It Is Not Allowed To Conduct Any Bad Faith Postings; Baiting; Flooding the Thread With Little Or No Content; Ignoring Requests to Cease.

In Addition, Harassment *Of Any Kind* Is Not Permitted Or Calling Members Out. No Threatening Of Members Or Calling Them "Liars" Or Anyone Else. No Bigoted Attacks Against Any Minorities or Any Person(s) Or Vulgarity, Profanity, and Nasty Innuendo. No Comments Are Allowed Referring To Criminal Acts With Regard To Those Who Have Not Been Accused of Any Wrong-Doing. Memes Used For The Purpose Of Harassment Are Also Cause For An Immediate Ban!

Be Sure To Deport Yourself In A Decent, Amicable Manner At All Times Simply Because YOU CAN, Anyone Can. Any Violations of the Aforementioned Things Will Be Cause For An Immediate Ban Without Further Warnings. So, If You Find Yourself Suddenly Banned From This Thread Without Farther Notice You Will Know Why. Be Forewarned. Thank You For Your Cooperation and Enjoy the Thread!

Green Arrow
02-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Nothing legally wrong with it, no, but morally wrong? Hell yes. It's a perversion of the democratic process.

TrueBlue
02-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Nothing legally wrong with it, no, but morally wrong? Hell yes. It's a perversion of the democratic process.
In your personal opinion, that is.

Some Other Useful Information
====================
Dame La Mano Crisis Pregnancy Center Inc.
http://www.damelamanocpc.org

del
02-12-2016, 06:58 PM
super delegates were put in place because the dnc feared being sued for secondhand smoke damage in all those smoke filled rooms.

same as the old boss

Green Arrow
02-12-2016, 06:59 PM
In your personal opinion, that is.

I don't know, I consider it pretty objective. I think you'd agree with my personal opinion if the shoe was on the other foot.

The Xl
02-12-2016, 07:07 PM
The process should be decided solely by citizen voters. Like arrow said, this is a perversion of the process.

TrueBlue
02-12-2016, 07:27 PM
I don't know, I consider it pretty objective. I think you'd agree with my personal opinion if the shoe was on the other foot.
Actually, with a process in place as there is, if my candidate was not getting the votes it would be hard and unfortunate and I would swallow my pride, of course, but I would allow the established process to carry on. I would not cry over spilled milk.

hanger4
02-12-2016, 07:34 PM
Actually, with a process in place as there is, if my candidate was not getting the votes it would be hard and unfortunate and I would swallow my pride, of course, but I would allow the established process to carry on. I would not cry over spilled milk.

You can spin it anyway you like, but the fact remains HC was soundly defeated in NH and garnered more delegates. That's not the democratic way it's the Democrates way.

TrueBlue
02-12-2016, 07:45 PM
You can spin it anyway you like, but the fact remains HC was soundly defeated in NH and garnered more delegates. That's not the democratic way it's the Democrates way.
Sour grapes much? Quit being in such denial of the democratic process that Has Been Established even before Hillary and Bernie were running.

======================
American Association of Caregiving Youth
http://www.aacy.org

del
02-12-2016, 07:46 PM
it's a process, but there's damn little democratic about it

TrueBlue
02-12-2016, 07:57 PM
it's a process, but there's damn little democratic about it
That's not what a great many others think and that has to include many Republicans. Because if things were in their favor for the Democratic candidate of their choice, with this same process, they would be most HAPPY about this process now wouldn't they! http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/yahoo/78.gif

=======================
American Diabetes Association®
http://www.diabetes.org/

del
02-12-2016, 08:02 PM
That's not what a great many others think and that has to include many Republicans. Because if things were in their favor for the Democratic candidate of their choice, with this same process, they would be most HAPPY about this process now wouldn't they! http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/yahoo/78.gif

=======================
American Diabetes Association®
http://www.diabetes.org/

you're making even less sense than usual.

stick to cheerleading and leave thinking to people who can actually do so.

Green Arrow
02-12-2016, 08:07 PM

The "established process" is corrupt and anti-democratic. You SHOULD be outraged by it even if your candidate is on the winning side of it.

TrueBlue
02-12-2016, 08:07 PM
you're making even less sense than usual.

stick to cheerleading and leave thinking to people who can actually do so.
Then that most obviously leaves you OUT.

Hal Jordan
02-12-2016, 10:45 PM

There's nothing democratic about it because the people are taken out of the process, which is the exact opposite of democratic. You could counter by saying this is a republic, but that doesn't change things. These superdelegates weren't elected to that position and they don't represent the people. In short, this process is un-American. I don't care who they support. It shouldn't matter. They only exist to rig the system, which the people should not allow.

Hal Jordan
02-12-2016, 10:48 PM
then that most obviously leaves you out.

be sure to deport yourself in a decent, amicable manner at all times simply because you can, anyone can.

TrueBlue
02-12-2016, 10:54 PM
There's nothing democratic about it because the people are taken out of the process, which is the exact opposite of democratic. You could counter by saying this is a republic, but that doesn't change things. These superdelegates weren't elected to that position and they don't represent the people. In short, this process is un-American. I don't care who they support. It shouldn't matter. They only exist to rig the system, which the people should not allow.
But they do. And that's just the way it is. If it's good enough for those Democratic candidates who are facing these matters and they want it that way, don't be a crybaby on their behalf. Leave rule making to the rule makers of the world.

del
02-12-2016, 10:57 PM
But they do. And that's just the way it is. If it's good enough for those Democratic candidates who are facing these matters and they want it that way, don't be a crybaby on their behalf. Leave rule making to the rule makers of the world.

i'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

you obviously feel differently, hack

Green Arrow
02-12-2016, 11:05 PM

"One has not only a legal, but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Imagine if such great figures like Gandhi and Martin Luther King adhered to your idea of leaving rule making to the rule makers. Where would blacks be today if they left the rule making to the rule makers? Where would women like Hillary Clinton be if Susan B. Anthony left the rule making to the rule makers? What if Republicans were the rule makers?

TrueBlue
02-12-2016, 11:31 PM
"One has not only a legal, but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Imagine if such great figures like Gandhi and Martin Luther King adhered to your idea of leaving rule making to the rule makers. Where would blacks be today if they left the rule making to the rule makers? Where would women like Hillary Clinton be if Susan B. Anthony left the rule making to the rule makers? What if Republicans were the rule makers?
Undoubtedly, that would be TRAGIC as we are already seeing with Republican rule making from the majority in Congress. Remember their fight and quest to Shut Down The Government If They Didn't Get Their Way? Remember Mitch McConnell? Some rule making by Republicans! Fortunately, Americans will not ever give them that chance again to enter the White House except with a visitor's pass.

As for Martin Luther King Jr.'s quote, he was referring to the injustice against colored people. However, let's not forget that rule making by Congress and then a Democratic President to sign those rules into law that were, in effect, an Act, sure helped them to gain their Civil Rights in 1964 didn't it? ;)

Stop to think. If we did not have rule makers we would not need a Congress or any state legislators anymore. Therefore, so much for "state's rights" and their assumed prerogative to make their own rules.

Green Arrow
02-12-2016, 11:55 PM
As for Martin Luther King Jr.'s quote, he was referring to the injustice against colored people.
Actually, he was referring to all injustice. You'd know this if you ever actually read his Letter from a Birmingham Jail.

However, let's not forget that rule making by Congress and then a Democratic President to sign those rules into law that were, in effect, an Act, sure helped them to gain their Civil Rights in 1964 didn't it? ;)

An act that Republicans also helped shepherd to passage.

Also, let's not forget that it was that very same rule-making that deprived them of their civil rights in the first place.

TrueBlue
02-13-2016, 12:36 AM
Actually, he was referring to all injustice. You'd know this if you ever actually read his Letter from a Birmingham Jail.
Yet there is no injustice here. Only you and other right-wingers appear to be the only ones seeing that political mirage.

An act that Republicans also helped shepherd to passage.

Also, let's not forget that it was that very same rule-making that deprived them of their civil rights in the first place.

Yet we have come a long way from that moment haven't we? Today's rule making by Republicans, however, is quite restrictive to many and can indeed be very costly to the average Middle Class American to say nothing of poor Americans. That's why they need rule makers who are Democrats who truly understand the plight of the average folk and can feel their pain and come in to help them in their time of need. They aren't going to get that with Republicans, let's face it. No way.

Green Arrow
02-13-2016, 12:43 AM
Yet there is no injustice here. Only you and other right-wingers appear to be the only ones seeing that political mirage.

I am not a right-winger, I'm more of a left-winger than you are. You seem to have this thing about tarnishing the reputations of good people just to get ahead. No wonder you love Hillary so much.

Yet we have come a long way from that moment haven't we? Today's rule making by Republicans, however, is quite restrictive to many and can indeed be very costly to the average Middle Class American to say nothing of poor Americans. That's why they need rule makers who are Democrats who truly understand the plight of the average folk and can feel their pain and come in to help them in their time of need. They aren't going to get that with Republicans, let's face it. No way.

Yes, Hillary the 0.1%er understands the plight of poor Americans like me.

Hillary has never been poor. She's never had to survive on the streets like I have. She doesn't understand my plight.

Hal Jordan
02-13-2016, 12:44 AM

Let's look at that logic. What if our founding fathers had followed that logic? We would have no America. That logic is the same as any fascist ruler has.

A lady asked Dr. Franklin Well Doctor what have we got a republic or a monarchy — "A republic," replied the Doctor, "if you can keep it."
Anonymous, from Farrand's Records of the Federal Convention of 1787

Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.
Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.
Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, November 4, 1775

Nothing so strongly impels a man to regard the interest of his constituents, as the certainty of returning to the general mass of the people, from whence he was taken, where he must participate in their burdens.
George Mason, speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 14, 1778

Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall, when the wise are banished from the public councils, because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded, because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.
Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833

As John Paul Jones famously said, I have not yet begun to fight.

Hal Jordan
02-13-2016, 12:46 AM
Stop to think. If we did not have rule makers we would not need a Congress or any state legislators anymore. Therefore, so much for "state's rights" and their assumed prerogative to make their own rules.

Stop to think. Congress and state legislators are chosen by the people to preserve their interests. Superdelegates? Not so much.

TrueBlue
02-13-2016, 01:08 AM
I am not a right-winger, I'm more of a left-winger than you are. You seem to have this thing about tarnishing the reputations of good people just to get ahead. No wonder you love Hillary so much.

Yes, Hillary the 0.1%er understands the plight of poor Americans like me.

Hillary has never been poor. She's never had to survive on the streets like I have. She doesn't understand my plight.
She understands a hell of a lot more about you than you would ever try to understand about her.

Hillary Clinton has been pounding the pavement and out on the streets in the rain and snow and inclement weather talking with people, listening to their stories, pulling for them and seeing first hand what kind of living conditions they are in. That is why she is so sympathetic to their cause. However, with dirty politics from the other side at hand, much of that has been suppressed as well as from the media that is not doing her right on many of this.

TrueBlue
02-13-2016, 01:10 AM
Stop to think. Congress and state legislators are chosen by the people to preserve their interests. Superdelegates? Not so much.
Yet those are their rules. You can't cry over spilled milk. End of story.

TrueBlue
02-13-2016, 01:16 AM
Let's look at that logic. What if our founding fathers had followed that logic? We would have no America. That logic is the same as any fascist ruler has.

As John Paul Jones famously said, I have not yet begun to fight.
And neither have we, brother, neither have we. The bottom line is that like it or not those who govern make the rules despite what the citizens or their constituents want. They can't always get what they want. You know that's true. And most all times those rules remain. If you want them changed you can always run to succeed those with rule making power. That's goes for Congress, the DNC or any other rule making authority.

Professor Peabody
02-13-2016, 04:23 PM

You say that as though some of Hillary and the DNC's biggest donors weren't Wall St and Big Oil.

Hal Jordan
02-15-2016, 12:50 AM
Yet those are their rules. You can't cry over spilled milk. End of story.

See, here's the thing. I don't care who it was used against. It's wrong, so I stand against it. If it was used against Hillary, I would still stand against it. That's not crying over spilled milk, that's standing for what is right. Even if it doesn't change in this election cycle, I will still stand against it. It goes against everything that is America. The rules need to be changed, period, and I will stand against them until they are.

Hal Jordan
02-15-2016, 12:56 AM
And neither have we, brother, neither have we. The bottom line is that like it or not those who govern make the rules despite what the citizens or their constituents want. They can't always get what they want. You know that's true. And most all times those rules remain. If you want them changed you can always run to succeed those with rule making power. That's goes for Congress, the DNC or any other rule making authority.

And what is the punishment for going against the people? Loss of power. And what is the punishment for superdelegates going against the people? There is none. They're placed in positions of power with no check or balance. This should not be allowed.

Crepitus
02-15-2016, 01:36 AM

It's not a mirage, its straight up disenfranchisement of the people. The DNC just told the voters that they don't care who they want, they will nominate who they have chosen no matter what.

Crepitus
02-15-2016, 01:40 AM

You're not a liberal at all. You just espoused fascism!

TrueBlue
02-15-2016, 01:48 AM
You're not a liberal at all. You just espoused fascism!
http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/ahswen/6.gif I disagree with you strongly on that, knowing better! But if that's your stance then go tell all of the rule-makers in America, e.g., Congress, Senate, governors, state legislators, school district officials, etc. that since you may not like their rules, they are all fascists. Then see what happens. :)

Crepitus
02-15-2016, 01:54 AM
http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/ahswen/6.gif I disagree with you strongly on that, knowing better! But if that's your stance then go tell all of the rule-makers in America, e.g., Congress, Senate, governors, state legislators, school district officials, etc. that since you may not like their rules, they are all fascists. Then see what happens. :)
Whaaat? I don't think you understand what you just said. They are elected to make the laws for the people, not in spite of the people.

TrueBlue
02-15-2016, 01:59 AM
Whaaat? I don't think you understand what you just said. They are elected to make the laws for the people, not in spite of the people.
And now you understand this. When right-wing lawmakers make laws that take away or diminish the rights of certain citizens (in spite of the people) that's o.k. that's alright according to your beliefs, right? Is it?

Crepitus
02-15-2016, 03:33 AM
And now you understand this. When right-wing lawmakers make laws that take away or diminish the rights of certain citizens (in spite of the people) that's o.k. that's alright according to your beliefs, right? Is it?

You are hopeless.