PDA

View Full Version : The Supreme Court nomination and non-functional government

donttread
02-17-2016, 09:37 PM
First of all let me go on the record saying that a republican nominated Justice would be more likely to protect gun rights than any Obama nominee . Therefore waiting to install a justice until after the elections would probably be better for my point of view.

But it ain't about me. It really should not be about dem vs. repub either. I find it very telling that there is even a discussion about waiting nearly a year to get the SC back to full strength and it is even more offensive to me to me that republicans are openly talking about turning an Obama nominee down simply because a democrat is doing the appointing .Isn't that practically the definition of acting in bad faith? Isn't SC justice a kind of important job ? I don't know about you but any organization I've ever been with replaces key people ASAP . This not a job vacancy that should be taken so lightly. How can the people we pay to run the country even consider leaving the SC at less than full strength
This is the kind of thing that illustrates the point I often make about our federal government having gone from dysfunctional to non functional. Essentially they want to do nothing for a year.!

Matty
02-17-2016, 10:06 PM
It is being taken very seriously. And your gun rights is just one of many reasons the Republicans are pushing to wait until hopefully a Republican takes the White House. When the Democrats are in power in the Senate they feel the same way. So. There you are. If Obama gets to appoint you may lose your right to bear arms!

Peter1469
02-17-2016, 11:12 PM
I want gridlock in all government action.

Our political leaders have proven conclusively that they are incompetent.

donttread
02-18-2016, 06:29 AM
It is being taken very seriously. And your gun rights is just one of many reasons the Republicans are pushing to wait until hopefully a Republican takes the White House. When the Democrats are in power in the Senate they feel the same way. So. There you are. If Obama gets to appoint you may lose your right to bear arms!

SC Justices are not supposed to be mere extensions of the Donkephant, yet that is exactly what they have become.

donttread
02-18-2016, 06:30 AM
I want gridlock in all government action.

Our political leaders have proven conclusively that they are incompetent.

Well they do seem to do less harm when they're shut down.

Ransom
02-18-2016, 07:24 AM
SC Justices are not supposed to be mere extensions of the Donkephant, yet that is exactly what they have become.

The answer is no, donttread. Whine and kvetch.... we couldn't care less. Not a f'n chance. Is that clear?

Ransom
02-18-2016, 07:26 AM

Gun rights already decided. The court can operate for a year with 8 justices. RBG has been asleep for 2 anyway.

zelmo1234
02-18-2016, 07:30 AM
The last Constitutionalist just had a Massive heart attack and died.

Kennedy and Roberts are populists and care more about being liked than the law. The others are activists for the Right or the left.

If the court was stacked with constitutionalist, the country would be far less in debt, and would have a lot less regulations for business to navigate.

But because they write laws from the bench now, and are not accountable, it is very prudent for the Senate to reject anyone that is not a constitutionalist.

Standing Wolf
02-18-2016, 08:13 AM
Gun rights are important to me, as well, but I believe that the law as it pertains to the private ownership of firearms is already sufficiently well established that no Supreme Court, whatever the political bent of its membership, is ever likely to initiate or approve any serious turnaround in the way the Second Amendment is currently viewed. Realistically, there is a greater chance of the federal government loading eleven million illegal immigrants onto buses and driving them across the border into Mexico than of any sort of ban on private gun ownership being created. Such a ban, were it ever to be supported by SCOTUS, would be the single greatest ignored and unenforced statute in the history of the world.

My concerns about the possibility of another so-called Conservative appointment to the high court are not selfish; the current legal realities likely to be disturbed by that possibility do not affect me personally, i.e., I want and need neither a same-sex marriage or an abortion.

donttread
02-18-2016, 08:12 PM
The answer is no, donttread. Whine and kvetch.... we couldn't care less. Not a f'n chance. Is that clear?

At least try to rant intelligibly for God's sake. I have very little idea of what the fuck you are trying to say

donttread
02-18-2016, 08:16 PM
Gun rights already decided. The court can operate for a year with 8 justices. RBG has been asleep for 2 anyway.

If they can operate for a year down 11% of their work force we clearly need to give them more to do.