PDA

View Full Version : tPF Scalia Merc'd?

Cthulhu
02-18-2016, 11:43 PM
I haven't fact checked this yet. But I'm going to later.

Rumor mill:

Scale was found on his back, with a pillow on his head.

Pronounced c dead at the scene by coroner *over the phone* having not examined the body.

Family didn't want autopsy.

No foul play suspected after the non investigation of his death.

/rumor mill.

Old guy croaks, nothing new. Heart attack in sleep. Okay.

Pillow testing on head though? Appeared to be napping?

Nobody seen a heart attack victim writhe in pain? Perhaps a stroke could do such a thing or an untimely blood clot to the brain.

But it's an election year and would stack SCOTUS in a rather interesting way for future presidents to deal with.

In what friggin' universe does a coroner declare death over the phone and declare no foul play without an investigation or autopsy?

I'm no legal genius here, but this just doesn't pass the stink test.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.

del
02-18-2016, 11:46 PM
lol

Dr. Who
02-18-2016, 11:49 PM
I would think an autopsy is the default.

Cthulhu
02-18-2016, 11:51 PM
Given the man's importance to the laws of this country I'd think it would be mandatory.

del
02-18-2016, 11:52 PM

the original me declined, and the family did also, i believe.

it's a cool story, though.

i mean, how many 79 yo with a history of cardio problems die?

Cthulhu
02-18-2016, 11:54 PM

Lots, I just don't know of any that look like they were peacefully napping with a pillow on their head when it happened.

The behavior of the post mortem personnel is odd to say the least.

del
02-18-2016, 11:58 PM
Lots, I just don't know of any that look like they were peacefully napping with a pillow on their head when it happened.

have you made a study of men with a history of heart problems and their appearance post mortem?

in whose opinion did he appear to be peacefully napping?

i agree that the coroner/me were lax in their duties

Dr. Who
02-18-2016, 11:59 PM
Given the man's importance to the laws of this country I'd think it would be mandatory.

Then either the family or the government dictated no autopsy.

del
02-19-2016, 12:03 AM
Then either the family or the government dictated no autopsy.

The Texas judge who pronounced Justice Antonin Scalia dead over the weekend but did not request an autopsy defended her decision Tuesday in the face of questions and conspiracy theories (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/02/15/conspiracy-theories-swirl-around-the-death-of-antonin-scalia/) floating online, saying she was respecting the wishes of his relatives.
After Scalia died suddenly (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/texas-tv-station-scalia-died-of-a-heart-attack/2016/02/14/938e2170-d332-11e5-9823-02b905009f99_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_ranch-216pm:homepage/story&tid=a_inl) at a remote West Texas resort, a chaotic and confused scene unfolded in the remote region not far from the border with Mexico. It took hours to find a justice of the peace, and when they did, Presidio County Judge Cinderela Guevara pronounced Scalia dead without seeing his body, which is allowed under Texas law.
This decision was made based on what Scalia’s family wanted and what she was told by a law enforcement official, Guevara said.
Guevara decided against the autopsy after the county sheriff told her “there were no signs of foul play or struggle, and that it appeared that Justice Scalia had died peacefully in his sleep,” she said in a statement Tuesday.

After that, Guevara said, she reached out to Scalia’s attorney, who said “that the family requested that there be no autopsy, that they believed Justice Scalia had died of natural causes, and they preferred there be no delay in the return of Justice Scalia’s remains to Virginia.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/02/16/texas-judge-defends-decision-not-to-order-autopsy-for-justice-scalia/

Green Arrow
02-19-2016, 12:03 AM
There's one major flaw with your theory.

There's absolutely no reasonable expectation that the current president would be able to stack the court for future presidents to "deal with" while he's facing down a congress controlled completely by the opposition party.

Cthulhu
02-19-2016, 12:06 AM
have you made a study of men with a history of heart problems and their appearance post mortem?

in whose opinion did he appear to be peacefully napping?

i agree that the coroner/me were lax in their duties

1. It is actually becoming a rapid interest. Mortuary science that is.

Having seen death, the human face is typically not "at peace" if anything it is sluggish in the prevailing direction of gravity. Also, very few people sleep directly on their back.

Who found him? The property owner, of have to check again to be sure.
domer76 you did the crime scene thing. So you've seen lots of perished folks. What's the science behind dead people and the way their face hangs?

Not trying to bother you and such, this is strictly academic interest.

Dr. Who

I'm fairly sure that he died of cardiac issues, but given his high profile, the lack of an autopsy is rather strange. Either the family (his wife) did not want his body molested, or there was some other unknown reason for the lack of autopsy.

Safety

When my grandmother passed, her final position was like she was just sitting on the end of the bed a few moments before and then just laid back, no writhing or weird positions, her face was like she was sleeping.

Cthulhu
02-19-2016, 12:07 AM
When my grandmother passed, her final position was like she was just sitting on the end of the bed a few moments before and then just laid back, no writhing or weird positions, her face was like she was sleeping.
Like I said. I'm not a self processed expert, I've just seen some death.

That's why I'm asking the crime scene bubba to weigh in on this.

del
02-19-2016, 12:08 AM
I'm fairly sure that he died of cardiac issues, but given his high profile, the lack of an autopsy is rather strange. Either the family (his wife) did not want his body molested, or there was some other unknown reason for the lack of autopsy.

the family didn't want one and the government respected their wishes.

having been asked if i wanted a loved one autopsied, i think that's for the best.

del
02-19-2016, 12:08 AM

my father in law as well.

Cthulhu
02-19-2016, 12:10 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/02/16/texas-judge-defends-decision-not-to-order-autopsy-for-justice-scalia/
So a judge, not a coroner declared death?

Weird fo sho.

Cthulhu
02-19-2016, 12:12 AM
There's one major flaw with your theory.

There's absolutely no reasonable expectation that the current president would be able to stack the court for future presidents to "deal with" while he's facing down a congress controlled completely by the opposition party.
Truth be told, I though the justices were presidential appointees, not subject to scrutiny of Congress.

Learn something new everyday.

Safety
02-19-2016, 12:15 AM
my father in law as well.

In my opinion, if I had to go, that would be the best way.

Cthulhu
02-19-2016, 12:18 AM
But still, pillow on the face?

Something just doesn't stack. I'm no Scalia worshipper or anything. But that is just off.

Green Arrow
02-19-2016, 12:52 AM
But still, pillow on the face?

Something just doesn't stack. I'm no Scalia worshipper or anything. But that is just off.

I have fallen asleep plenty of times and woke up with my pillow over my face, usually because I used it to cover my face from a light source in my sleep.

Crepitus
02-19-2016, 01:58 AM
Being who he was there was probably some decent security around him. Anybody good enough to get in and out without notice probably wouldn't make an obvious mistake like leaving his face covered with a pillow.

BTW, being a retired "merc" I can tell you that unlike the movies we don't really do assassinations. Lol.

Cigar
02-19-2016, 08:17 AM
I knew it ... Obama did it :grin:

domer76
02-19-2016, 12:54 PM
1. It is actually becoming a rapid interest. Mortuary science that is.

Having seen death, the human face is typically not "at peace" if anything it is sluggish in the prevailing direction of gravity. Also, very few people sleep directly on their back.

Who found him? The property owner, of have to check again to be sure.
@domer76 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1355) you did the crime scene thing. So you've seen lots of perished folks. What's the science behind dead people and the way their face hangs?

Not trying to bother you and such, this is strictly academic interest.

There's nothing "typical" about the way people look. Most of mine involved violent deaths, so my experience is a little biased. But, when my folks died, they just went to sleep.

Dr. Who
02-19-2016, 11:07 PM

Autopsies are the default unless the family refuses because it advances medical science. It adds to the medical data regarding causes of death and therefore creates a pathway to avoid fatality.