PDA

View Full Version : Prisoners and sex reassignment surgery

Adelaide
02-25-2016, 10:10 AM
Transgender Americans have seen slow but steady progress in health insurance coverage for sex reassignment surgery. Unless they’re in prison.

That could change soon thanks to the Transgender Law Center and former California inmate Michelle Norsworthy (http://www.thedailybeast.com/content/dailybeast/articles/2015/05/26/will-a-ca-inmate-escape-gender-prison.html), a transgender woman who was released from a 28-year prison term last year.

On Tuesday, Norsworthy settled (http://transgenderlawcenter.org/archives/12541) a longstanding dispute with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR), leaving in place an April 2015 federal district court ruling (http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-ff-prison-board-approves-parole-for-sexreassignment-inmate-20150521-story.html) that ordered the state to cover her sex reassignment surgery (SRS). As part of the settlement deal, the state of California will drop its request to vacate that ruling.

Transgender prisoners deserve surgery - Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/25/transgender-prisoners-deserve-surgery.html)

So, what do you think? Do you think prisoners should be allowed to undergo sex reassignment surgery?

Private Pickle
02-25-2016, 10:21 AM
No.

Truth Detector
02-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Transgender prisoners deserve surgery - Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/25/transgender-prisoners-deserve-surgery.html)

So, what do you think? Do you think prisoners should be allowed to undergo sex reassignment surgery?

It is absurd, retarded and bizarre that we are even having this discussion today. But this is the low level of discourse for a society full of thin-skinned progressive leftists with an agenda.

donttread
02-25-2016, 10:39 AM

No. It's elective surgery for something posing no risk to them, so no.

Common Sense
02-25-2016, 11:01 AM
Nope.

Truth Detector
02-25-2016, 11:05 AM
Was Adelaide the "yes" vote??? ::scratching my head on that one:: She seems so intelligent. :biglaugh:

southwest88
02-25-2016, 11:20 AM

Yes, but I don't see the case for the state paying for the prep, surgery & the follow-up. We (in the US) don't even have a national healthcare plan for the basics, so going above & beyond the basics seems unwarranted. The Daily Beast article argues that the number of cases of SRS is minuscule, inside & outside of prison. That is a specious argument, & should be addressed separately.

If the one-time & continuing costs are so small, I can see doing a pilot exercise to project long-term outcomes - that is, if a population in prison desiring SRS undergoes the procedures & then prison recidivism rates go down significantly for that sample, we can then do a cost/benefit analysis. Short of that, I would spend those monies on basic healthcare for everyone, rather than extravagant invasive care for a handful of people.

Note also that SRS for men to become women is much more straightforward (& therefore cheaper) than women to men. That means there's an inherent bias in surgical outcomes - a gap which may close as we get more experience with SRS - I suppose it depends on how much demand there is for women-to-men SRS. See the URL for more detail.

"Diagnosis/Preparation

"Gender identity is an extremely important characteristic for human beings. Assigning it must take place immediately after birth, for the mental health of both children and their parents. Changing sexual identity is among the most significant changes that a human can experience. It should therefore be undertaken with extreme care and caution. By the time most adults come to surgery, they have lived for many years with a dissonant identity. The average in one study was 29 years. Nevertheless, even then they may not be fully aware of the implications of becoming a member of the opposite gender.

"In-depth psychological counseling (http://www.surgeryencyclopedia.com/knowledge/Psychotherapy.html) should precede and follow any gender reassignment surgical procedure.

"Sex change surgery is expensive. The cost for male to female reassignment is $7,000 to $24,000. The cost for female to male reassignment can exceed $50,000."

Read more: http://www.surgeryencyclopedia.com/Pa-St/Sex-Reassignment-Surgery.html#ixzz41BzYhzhW

Matty
02-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Is there no end to what a liberal wants the taxpayers to be on the hook for?

Ethereal
02-25-2016, 11:43 AM
I question the medical legitimacy of so-called "sex reassignment surgery" in general, so I find its application in the context of incarceration tenuous at best.

Ethereal
02-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Was Adelaide the "yes" vote??? ::scratching my head on that one:: She seems so intelligent. :biglaugh:

God forbid someone have a different opinion than you.

nathanbforrest45
02-25-2016, 12:28 PM
This is pure silliness on the part of liberals. Just when you think they cannot become more absurd they out do themselves.

Truth Detector
02-25-2016, 12:34 PM

Try to extract your head from your azz for just one day. Thank you. :biglaugh:

Standing Wolf
02-25-2016, 02:30 PM
I have no problem with the concept of transgender surgery for adults, and I've actually met and spoken with a couple of transgender women in the last ten years. For a very small percentage of individuals, it seems to be the logical thing to do. Nevertheless, for an incarcerated person - no. For me, the overriding consideration is not financial, but rather the artificial nature of "prison society". A transgender person is usually required to live as a member of the desired sex for a period of time before the reassignment surgery. How does one go about doing something like that behind bars?

Doublejack
02-25-2016, 02:40 PM
If they are rape convicts then yes. Otherwise no.

Tahuyaman
02-25-2016, 02:53 PM

How could anyone support such a convoluted idea?

What they "deserve" is to serve the sentence for the crime they have been convicted of. When and if they get out of prison, they can mutilate their body as much as they can financially afford.

Tahuyaman
02-25-2016, 02:55 PM
This is pure silliness on the part of liberals. Just when you think they cannot become more absurd they out do themselves.

Yes it is absurd, but this is the logical path for liberalism to take.

The next step will be to cretae legislation which says all sex changes will be conducted at taxpayer expense for anyone who requests it at any time with no exceptions.

kilgram
02-25-2016, 03:00 PM

Why not?

Enviat des del meu Aquaris E5 usant Tapatalk

nathanbforrest45
02-25-2016, 03:24 PM
Why not?

Enviat des del meu Aquaris E5 usant Tapatalk

Interesting answer don't you think?

kilgram
02-25-2016, 03:40 PM
Interesting answer don't you think?
Why should they not deserve to receive treatment?

Отправлено с моего Aquaris E5 через Tapatalk

Peter1469
02-25-2016, 04:52 PM
Absolutely not. And under no circumstances should tax dollars be used. Pay out of pock or con your insurance company into pitching in.

Ravens Fan
02-25-2016, 04:55 PM
Why should they not deserve to receive treatment?

Is feeling like you are a woman stuck in a man's body life threatening? Does it cause physical pain?

I am pretty sure you cannot get laser eye surgery or liposuction while in jail either...

Tahuyaman
02-25-2016, 04:57 PM
Is there no end to what a liberal wants the taxpayers to be on the hook for?

No

Cletus
02-25-2016, 05:05 PM
I have no problem with the concept of transgender surgery for adults, and I've actually met and spoken with a couple of transgender women in the last ten years. For a very small percentage of individuals, it seems to be the logical thing to do. Nevertheless, for an incarcerated person - no. For me, the overriding consideration is not financial, but rather the artificial nature of "prison society". A transgender person is usually required to live as a member of the desired sex for a period of time before the reassignment surgery. How does one go about doing something like that behind bars?

That kind of surgery is just mutilation and should be banned. The appropriate treatment is psychiatric.

Adelaide
02-25-2016, 05:32 PM
Is feeling like you are a woman stuck in a man's body life threatening? Does it cause physical pain?

I am pretty sure you cannot get laser eye surgery or liposuction while in jail either...

So mental pain is what? Inconsequential? If someone experiences mental distress for an extended period of time they're not only going to be a higher risk of harming themselves or others, but they'll be much more likely to experience physical ailments. Then you're treating, likely, depression and anxiety plus any physical ailments caused by prolonged stress/distress.

HoneyBadger
02-25-2016, 05:32 PM
Why should taxpayers be on the hook for mutilating a perfectly health body because the person inside is mentally ill?

Stop pandering to mental illness and treat it if possible.

Matty
02-25-2016, 05:37 PM
So mental pain is what? Inconsequential? If someone experiences mental distress for an extended period of time they're not only going to be a higher risk of harming themselves or others, but they'll be much more likely to experience physical ailments. Then you're treating, likely, depression and anxiety plus any physical ailments caused by prolonged stress/distress.

Give them some heroine. It's cheaper.

Adelaide
02-25-2016, 05:44 PM
Why should taxpayers be on the hook for mutilating a perfectly health body because the person inside is mentally ill?

Stop pandering to mental illness and treat it if possible.

Mental illness is as real as physical illness. Responses like this are why a stigma exists and people don't get the help they need.

Cletus
02-25-2016, 05:46 PM
Mental illness is as real as physical illness. Responses like this are why a stigma exists and people don't get the help they need.

You don't cure mental illness by chopping off body parts.

Common Sense
02-25-2016, 05:47 PM
You don't cure mental illness by chopping off body parts.

Well, technically...

Matty
02-25-2016, 05:47 PM

Changing a sex organ does not cure mental illness either. What if everyone overweight claimed mental anguish? Should the taxpayer pay for gastric surgery too?

Adelaide
02-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Changing a sex organ does not cure mental illness either. What if everyone overweight claimed mental anguish? Should the taxpayer pay for gastric surgery too?

It would probably save money instead of paying for high blood pressure medication, heart medication, so forth, in the long-term.

Cletus
02-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Well, technically...

Technically... what?

Matty
02-25-2016, 05:54 PM
It would probably save money instead of paying for high blood pressure medication, heart medication, so forth, in the long-term.

No. Saving money is not asking me to spend it cause you want something.

Adelaide
02-25-2016, 05:54 PM
Technically... what?

Nothing is "chopped off" - more like inverted.

Common Sense
02-25-2016, 05:55 PM
Technically... what?

A Cephalectomy will cure just about any disorder.

kilgram
02-25-2016, 05:56 PM

Psychologic diseases can be as severe or even more than any phisical.

Adelaide
02-25-2016, 05:56 PM
No. Saving money is not asking me to spend it cause you want something.

Well, prepare to have your world shattered because medicare already covers bariatric surgery like gastric bypass.

Call your congressman?

Ravens Fan
02-25-2016, 05:57 PM
Yes. When you are in jail, mental pain is inconsequential, IMO. Feeling like you should be the opposite sex ≠ broken arm or heart attack.

Cletus
02-25-2016, 05:59 PM
A Cephalectomy will cure just about any disorder.

I had a feeling you were going in that direction. I just wasn't sure.

Some things just can't be argued against. Good job. :grin:

Cletus
02-25-2016, 06:01 PM
Nothing is "chopped off" - more like inverted.

A distinction without a difference. It still cures nothing.

Matty
02-25-2016, 06:02 PM
Well, prepare to have your world shattered because medicare already covers bariatric surgery like gastric bypass.

Call your congressman?

People medicare pay into the system their whole working life. Let me know when the prisoners do.

donttread
02-25-2016, 06:19 PM

Diversity of opinion will not be tolerated here!

FindersKeepers
02-26-2016, 01:16 PM
What's next? Free boob jobs for women on probation? Because, bigger boobs might help their self-esteem.

MisterVeritis
02-26-2016, 01:24 PM
"Sex change surgery is expensive. The cost for male to female reassignment is $7,000 to $24,000. The cost for female to male reassignment can exceed $50,000."

Read more: http://www.surgeryencyclopedia.com/Pa-St/Sex-Reassignment-Surgery.html#ixzz41BzYhzhW[/QUOTE]
Addadicktomes are expensive!