PDA

View Full Version : U.S. student detained in North Korea confesses to 'hostile act'

leekohler2
02-29-2016, 11:13 AM
The parents of Otto Frederick Warmbier, an American college student detained in North Korea, are "greatly relieved' now that they've seen pictures of him for the first time in nearly two months."We had not heard from him during these many weeks, so you can imagine how deeply worried we were and what a traumatic experience this has been for us," Fred and Cindy Warmbier said in a statement released Monday. "He seems to be in good health, although we won't know for sure about his condition until we have a chance to speak with him."

North Korea (http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/29/world/asia/north-korea-fast-facts/) allowed the world to get its first glimpse of Warmbier, a student at the University of Virginia, two months after his arrest (http://cnn.com/2016/01/22/asia/north-korea-american-student/).
Warmbier is accused of trying to steal a North Korean banner, containing a political slogan that was hanging from the walls of his Pyongyang hotel.
A North Korean official with direct knowledge of Warmbier's case says the 21-year-old held a news conference "at his own request" Monday morning at the People's Palace of Culture in Pyongyang.
The event provided insight into the bizarre charges he is facing in the secretive Democratic People's Republic of Korea, or DPRK, including allegations that he was encouraged to commit the "hostile act" by a purported member of an Ohio church, a secretive university organization and even the CIA.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/28/asia/north-korea-otto-warmbier/

A banner? Really? Little Kim sure has needed lots of attention lately. This is crazy.

MisterVeritis
02-29-2016, 11:14 AM

A banner? Really? Little Kim sure has needed lots of attention lately. This is crazy.
The idiot college student will spend some years becoming educated in a North Korean prison. Let President Trump deal with it in his second term.

Private Pickle
02-29-2016, 11:22 AM
The idiot college student will spend some years becoming educated in a North Korean prison. Let President Trump deal with it in his second term.

We are talking about an American citizen here.

MisterVeritis
02-29-2016, 11:23 AM
So? Let the idiot sit in a North Korean prison for five or six years. We should do absolutely nothing.

Private Pickle
02-29-2016, 11:29 AM
So? Let the idiot sit in a North Korean prison for five or six years. We should do absolutely nothing.

So... A couple of things:

1) You either believe in justice or not. Stealing a banner gets you 5 years?
2) You are taking the word of North Korea.
3) The kid has obviously been tortured and is being coerced.

Change your mind or are you still only for your countrymen when they agree with you?

MisterVeritis
02-29-2016, 11:32 AM
So... A couple of things:

1) You either believe in justice or not. Stealing a banner gets you 5 years?
2) You are taking the word of North Korea.
3) The kid has obviously been tortured and is being coerced.

Change your mind or are you still only for your countrymen when they agree with you?
I see no reason for the US to leap into action to save the sorry ass of an idiot.

Fuck him. Let him sit until sometime in the waning years of Trump's second term. We should not even speak with the North Koreans about him. Let them do with the idiot as they choose. It is not our problem.

Standing Wolf
02-29-2016, 11:32 AM
I heard this story on the radio this morning on the drive to work, and it was immediately obvious to me why the kid took the banner - and it had absolutely nothing to do with what it said in his b.s. "confession"...about wanting to harm the spirit of the North Korean people, or whatever it was they wrote for him to say. It was undoubtedly a cool-looking sign in a foreign language and he wanted to take it home as a souvenir and hang it in his room. I will confess that in my world-travelling Navy days I was occasionally tempted to do something similar, though I just about always let my better angels prevail, i.e., yeah, I chickened out. There are places in the world where he could have no doubt explained, apologized, maybe paid a small fine and gotten a slap on the wrist; too bad he had the bad sense to do what he did in a broken culture run by nutcases intent on making huge political mountains out of juvenile molehills.

leekohler2
02-29-2016, 11:42 AM
I heard this story on the radio this morning on the drive to work, and it was immediately obvious to me why the kid took the banner - and it had absolutely nothing to do with what it said in his b.s. "confession"...about wanting to harm the spirit of the North Korean people, or whatever it was they wrote for him to say. It was undoubtedly a cool-looking sign in a foreign language and he wanted to take it home as a souvenir and hang it in his room. I will confess that in my world-travelling Navy days I was occasionally tempted to do something similar, though I just about always let my better angels prevail, i.e., yeah, I chickened out. There are places in the world where he could have no doubt explained, apologized, maybe paid a small fine and gotten a slap on the wrist; too bad he had the bad sense to do what he did in a broken culture run by nutcases intent on making huge political mountains out of juvenile molehills.

That's exactly what it was and the first thing I thought as well. But like I said, Little Kim needs lots of attention. He's been ignored so much lately that he feels he has to do something to get noticed.

Doublejack
02-29-2016, 11:43 AM
Hard lesson but seriously.. If you're in foreign country you had better follow that countries laws and know what the penalties are for what you are about to do. North Fing Korea is not the best place to pull shennanigans.

Tahuyaman
02-29-2016, 11:44 AM
Tyranical dictators exploit weakness.

Private Pickle
02-29-2016, 11:46 AM
I see no reason for the US to leap into action to save the sorry ass of an idiot.

Fuck him. Let him sit until sometime in the waning years of Trump's second term. We should not even speak with the North Koreans about him. Let them do with the idiot as they choose. It is not our problem.

Why?

MisterVeritis
02-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Why?
Because he is not our problem. He created his own problem.

In the future, idiots will reason that they are on their own if they behave stupidly. It also sends the message to other tyrants that we will not be driven to the negotiation table when they seize an American idiot.

They will grow tired of him and release him before he is 30.

Matty
02-29-2016, 11:52 AM
Why?

Why not? Obama left that marine rotting away in a vile Mexican prison.

The dignity of Mexico my ass!

leekohler2
02-29-2016, 11:58 AM
Hard lesson but seriously.. If you're in foreign country you had better follow that countries laws and know what the penalties are for what you are about to do. North Fing Korea is not the best place to pull shennanigans.

Also, why in the hell go to that hellhole?

Private Pickle
02-29-2016, 12:19 PM
Because he is not our problem. He created his own problem.

In the future, idiots will reason that they are on their own if they behave stupidly. It also sends the message to other tyrants that we will not be driven to the negotiation table when they seize an American idiot.

They will grow tired of him and release him before he is 30.

So you're taking North Korea's word for what happened then? Your call but a bad one...

Doublejack
02-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Also, why in the hell go to that hellhole?

No kidding.
If I found myself there I wouldnt so much as spit on the sidewalk. Leaving as smoothly and swiftly as possible would be my top priority.

MisterVeritis
02-29-2016, 03:47 PM
So you're taking North Korea's word for what happened then? Your call but a bad one...
Do you not understand? An idiot went to North Korea. It is not my problem that the idiot went to North Korea. It is not America's problem that an idiot went to North Korea. It is the idiot's problem. And it is North Korea's problem.

The US should do nothing. If we stop responding when North Korea grabs an idiot maybe the idiots will stop going there.

Peter1469
02-29-2016, 03:50 PM
I crossed into North Korea once. But I was heavily armed. :wink:

Private Pickle
02-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Do you not understand? An idiot went to North Korea. It is not my problem that the idiot went to North Korea. It is not America's problem that an idiot went to North Korea. It is the idiot's problem. And it is North Korea's problem.

The US should do nothing. If we stop responding when North Korea grabs an idiot maybe the idiots will stop going there.

Sure I understand. You have absolutely no inkling of international relations, foreign policy not the international repercussions this causes...it would magnify if we took your advice and simply did nothing. We would look like the pussy you sound like...

Matty
02-29-2016, 05:14 PM
I crossed into North Korea once. But I was heavily armed. :wink:

Why?

MisterVeritis
02-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Sure I understand. You have absolutely no inkling of international relations, foreign policy not the international repercussions this causes...it would magnify if we took your advice and simply did nothing. We would look like the $#@! you sound like...
I see.

Why don't we begin with your experiences?

Private Pickle
02-29-2016, 05:20 PM
I see.

Why don't we begin with your experiences?

Sure. I've never advocating letting an American rot in jail for no reason. You really can't say that can you?

MisterVeritis
02-29-2016, 05:25 PM
Sure. I've never advocating letting an American rot in jail for no reason. You really can't say that can you?
In other words, you have no experience in international relations or foreign policy. But you sound tough standing there wringing your hands.

Let the idiot stew for a half a dozen years. Continue with the sanction on North Korea without regard to this idiot or the hand wringers.

Did I mention that this is not our problem?

donttread
02-29-2016, 05:30 PM

Who the fuck is smart enough to get into college and dumb enough to visit North Korea? What the hell was this kid thinking?

donttread
02-29-2016, 05:44 PM

Yes, but a really dumb one. Maybe we could get him released if he agreed to be chemically castrated so he doesn't pass those genes on. Who the hell goes to North Fucking Korea? We over use terms like "American hating " and "evil Regime" . But not in the case of North Korea. They are the real fucking deal.

Private Pickle
02-29-2016, 06:18 PM
In other words, you have no experience in international relations or foreign policy. But you sound tough standing there wringing your hands.

Let the idiot stew for a half a dozen years. Continue with the sanction on North Korea without regard to this idiot or the hand wringers.

Did I mention that this is not our problem?

You mentioned it but you were wrong.

Private Pickle
02-29-2016, 06:20 PM
Yes, but a really dumb one. Maybe we could get him released if he agreed to be chemically castrated so he doesn't pass those genes on. Who the hell goes to North Fucking Korea? We over use terms like "American hating " and "evil Regime" . But not in the case of North Korea. They are the real fucking deal.

Well you aren't the shapest tack in the bunch but that isn't worthy of a prison term...

MisterVeritis
02-29-2016, 09:28 PM
You mentioned it but you were wrong.
:-)

You have your opinion. I have mine. Obama gave Iran a path to nukes and the means to deliver them to the US. BJ Clinton did the same for North Korea. Will Obama use this pretext to give NK some money and cover?

Private Pickle
02-29-2016, 09:36 PM
:-)

You have your opinion. I have mine. Obama gave Iran a path to nukes and the means to deliver them to the US. BJ Clinton did the same for North Korea. Will Obama use this pretext to give NK some money and cover?

Hyperbole FTL.

donttread
03-01-2016, 07:36 AM
Well you aren't the shapest tack in the bunch but that isn't worthy of a prison term...

I'm smart enough to not go to fucking North Korea or support someone who did. Which, makes me smarter than... you

donttread
03-01-2016, 07:40 AM
Notice from US Government to US citizens.

Look we know we use a lot of propaganda to justify our imperialism world wide and throw terms "like evil", or "hate Americans" around way too often way to casually.

But the North Koreans are the real fucking deal. They DO hate Americans and their own citizens have almost no rights in their country. You will have exactly NO RIGHTS..
If you are stupid enough to go there good luck because you are on your fucking own

MisterVeritis
03-01-2016, 09:16 AM

Hyperbole FTL.
I can understand that you lack awareness. I do not understand why you advertise it.

Matty
03-01-2016, 09:17 AM
What was this kid doing in North Korea?

Private Pickle
03-01-2016, 10:21 AM
I'm smart enough to not go to fucking North Korea or support someone who did. Which, makes me smarter than... you

Why did he go? Do you even know?

Your librul hero Sean Penn went to North Korea. You smarter than him too? Is he an idiot? Does Penn deserve to be locked up for 6 years for taking a trip?

Private Pickle
03-01-2016, 10:23 AM

I can understand that you lack awareness. I do not understand why you advertise it.

Lack of awareness? Simpel awareness allows me to quickly determine a viable response vs. one littered with partisan hyperbole and bullshit. Sorry but I won't take part in your wonky hack games.

MisterVeritis
03-01-2016, 12:19 PM
Lack of awareness? Simpel awareness allows me to quickly determine a viable response vs. one littered with partisan hyperbole and bull$#@!. Sorry but I won't take part in your wonky hack games.
Had you not spouted off people would still be wondering if you have no clue. By spouting off you have confirmed it for everybody.

BJ Clinton's agreement led to North Korean nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.
Barack Hussein O's agreement will lead to Iranian nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.

But you haven't a clue. What a shame.You should stop now, while you are behind.

Private Pickle
03-01-2016, 12:27 PM
Had you not spouted off people would still be wondering if you have no clue. By spouting off you have confirmed it for everybody.

BJ Clinton's agreement led to North Korean nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.
Barack Hussein O's agreement will lead to Iranian nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.

But you haven't a clue. What a shame.You should stop now, while you are behind.

lol Thinks democrats are responsible for despot regimes... Creates despot regimes in Iraq, Libya, Egypt...supports despot regimes in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Russia...

MisterVeritis
03-01-2016, 12:32 PM
lol Thinks democrats are responsible for despot regimes... Creates despot regimes in Iraq, Libya, Egypt...supports despot regimes in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Russia...
As poor as it was you may have the last word.

Standing Wolf
03-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Does Penn deserve to be locked up for 6 years for taking a trip?

For taking a trip, no. For Gangster Squad, yes.

Private Pickle
03-01-2016, 12:37 PM
As poor as it was you may have the last word.

Thanks!

Private Pickle
03-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Notice from US Government to US citizens.

Look we know we use a lot of propaganda to justify our imperialism world wide and throw terms "like evil", or "hate Americans" around way too often way to casually.

But the North Koreans are the real fucking deal. They DO hate Americans and their own citizens have almost no rights in their country. You will have exactly NO RIGHTS..
If you are stupid enough to go there good luck because you are on your fucking own

lol

In the face of groups like ISIS and AQ, countries like Iran and Syria screaming at you that they hate America and following it up with outright attacks and proxy terrorism...it's the North Koreans that really mean it...

Classic.