PDA

View Full Version : White House wants more Syrian refugees

Peter1469
03-01-2016, 04:07 PM
White House wants more Syrian refugees (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/white-house-wants-increase-of-syrian-refugees/article/2584498)

The FBI director testified to Congress that they could not be accurately vetted. But they are determined to take them in.

The White House is quietly pushing for an increase in refugees from Syria, despite new concerns raised by state and county officials that federal help is often missing when they arrive.

President Obama's assistant for immigration policy told a task force set up by the National Association of Counties (http://www.naco.org/blog/summits-and-special-events-legislative-conference) that the U.S. is eyeing a bigger role to help alleviate the growing crisis.

"We want to make sure that we can increase our numbers of refugees that are able to settle here," Felicia Escobar said. "The need globally is so, so, so massive right now, given all the displacement and conflict around the world, but we also know that we have to do it in a way that's smart."

Archer0915
03-01-2016, 04:10 PM
Lemme see if I get this straight!

Obama to bring in terrorists, limit gun ownership, alienate the police, force citizens to buy insurance while he gives it to immigrants,..

We got issues.

Peter1469
03-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Yes, we do.

waltky
04-09-2016, 09:33 PM
No way 3 months is enough time to vet refugees...
:shocked:
Under New U.S. Syrian Refugee Surge, Processing Time Reportedly Slashed to 3 Months
April 7, 2016 – As the Obama administration institutes a “surge” aimed at meeting its goal – currently way off-target – of admitting 10,000 Syrian refugees this fiscal year, the Associated Press has cited an official at the U.S. Embassy in Amman as saying that the time taken to process each admission is being cut to three months. “While the resettlement process usually takes 18 to 24 months, under the surge operation this will be reduced to three months, [regional refugee coordinator Gina] Kassem said,” the AP reported Wednesday.

With the fiscal year now more than half over, the number of Syrian refugees admitted as of Wednesday stands at 1,353, according to State Department Refugee Processing Center data. In order to meet the 10,000 target by the end of the fiscal year on Sept. 30, the AP report said that around 600 Syrian refugees were being interviewed daily at a “resettlement surge center” which was opened in Amman last February. “The U.N. Refugee Agency prioritizes the most vulnerable cases for resettlement, and then refers them to the U.S. to review, Kassem said. She said that priority is given to high-risk groups such as victims of torture and gender based violence and unaccompanied minors,” the AP reported.

A State Department official disputed that security screening will be compromised. “All applicants will still be subject to the same stringent security and medical requirements that apply to all applicants for U.S. refugee resettlement,” the official said Thursday. “All other necessary procedures will remain unchanged.” “While this surge and other efforts will decrease the overall processing time for individual families, the average processing time worldwide remains 18-24 months,” the State Department official added. “As we said, neither this surge nor any of our efforts to expand processing capacity curtail any aspects of the security, medical, or other screening.”

http://cnsnews.com/s3/files/styles/ap_image/s3/syria-refugees-jordan.jpg?itok=FJ8fakry
Syrian refugees at the Zaatari camp in Jordan.

Throughout the debate over the potential security implications of President Obama’s plan to bring 10,000 Syrian refugees into the U.S. in FY2016, the administration has stressed that the application process – which includes vetting and interviews by the Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services – takes 18-24 months. Security concerns deepened after the November 13 Paris terrorist attacks stoked fears that the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS/ISIL) was using refugee admission programs to infiltrate Western countries. A number of Republican governors and several of the GOP presidential candidates called on the administration to reconsider the plan.

Four days after the Paris attack, Obama mocked the critics, saying during a visit to the Philippines that the Republican presidential hopefuls talked tough about solving problems but “apparently they’re scared of widows and orphans coming into the United States of America as part of our tradition of compassion.” “Understand, under current law, it takes anywhere from, on average, 18 to 24 months to clear a refugee to come into the United States,” the president said. “They are subjected to the most rigorous process conceivable.” That process, Obama said, included vetting by the U.S. intelligence community and other agencies, as well as biometrics. “There is an entire apparatus of all of our law enforcement agencies and the center that we use for countering terrorism to check and ensure that a refugee is not admitted that might cause us harm,” he said.

MORE (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/patrick-goodenough/under-new-us-syrian-refugee-surge-processing-time-reportedly-slashed)

Tahuyaman
04-09-2016, 10:53 PM
I still can't figure out why the administration is so committed to this issue.

pragmatic
04-09-2016, 11:00 PM
White House wants more Syrian refugees (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/white-house-wants-increase-of-syrian-refugees/article/2584498)

The FBI director testified to Congress that they could not be accurately vetted. But they are determined to take them in.

Certainly curious as to what the motivations are...

Subdermal
04-09-2016, 11:15 PM
I still can't figure out why the administration is so committed to this issue.

There is an agenda behind this action. This is a part of the effort to destroy our borders; to eliminate the notion of patriotism and nationalism.

This is a globalist effort. Islamists are being used as part of the plan. Multi-Culturalism; Political Correctness; it's all part of the now decades long effort to demoralize us and eliminate the belief that we are exceptional; that we are the unique beacon of freedom in this world.

Without the commonality between us that we have allegiance to a very specific notion of America, there is no way to protect our borders. There is no country; only disparate sects of warring factions. That's what we now have.

It's been done from within our own halls of Government.

Tahuyaman
04-10-2016, 06:32 AM
Well, I don't get it.

Tahuyaman
04-10-2016, 06:32 AM
Certainly curious as to what the motivations are...

Me too.

Peter1469
04-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Yes. This is a globalist effort. The Establishment that controls both parties in the US.

There is an agenda behind this action. This is a part of the effort to destroy our borders; to eliminate the notion of patriotism and nationalism.

This is a globalist effort. Islamists are being used as part of the plan. Multi-Culturalism; Political Correctness; it's all part of the now decades long effort to demoralize us and eliminate the belief that we are exceptional; that we are the unique beacon of freedom in this world.

Without the commonality between us that we have allegiance to a very specific notion of America, there is no way to protect our borders. There is no country; only disparate sects of warring factions. That's what we now have.

It's been done from within our own halls of Government.

waltky
09-15-2016, 03:29 PM
‘Deception Detection Technology’ Not Used to Screen Refugees...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/icon_omg.gif
DHS Officials Admit They Have Not Used ‘Deception Detection Technology’ to Screen Refugees
September 14, 2016 – At a House Homeland Security Committee hearing Wednesday titled “Shutting Down Terrorist Pathways into America,” officials at the Department of Homeland Security admitted they have not explored the use of (invested in) “deception detection technology” for screening refugees and other visa applicants despite a law signed last year directing the agency to do so.

Rep. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) said the use of such technology was suggested as part of 32 recommendations by a bipartisan task force for identifying foreign fighters last year – recommendations that “have been working their way through Congress and being signed into law.” “One I’d like to follow up on, which was actually in that law was directing DHS to review and consider investing in deception detection technology. The chairman brought this up. I feel a bit like a broken record. I bring this up at every hearing. I bring it up at every meeting. I bring it up at every classified discussion,” she said. According to McSally, research has shown that “even the best most highly trained operatives can only detect deception in about 50 percent of the cases when a human being is lying to them.” She said there is “off-the-shelf” deception detection technology – some of which was developed at the University of Arizona and demonstrated to agencies within the DHS.

McSally said other such technology exists “that can very cheaply and easily help detect deception while you’re doing interviews overseas and other places and all the different ways that could be exploited, whether that’s filling out the ESTA form or doing the K1 interview process.” ESTA stands for the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. The form is found on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website and is required to be filled out by “eligible international travelers” who wish to travel to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program. The K1 visa is the fiancé non-immigrant visa for the foreign-citizen fiancé of a U.S. citizen. Tashfeen Malik, the wife of San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook, traveled to the U.S. on a K1 visa as Farook’s fiancé. Malik and Farook killed 14 people when they opened fire on his co-workers on Dec. 2, 2015. They later died in a police shootout.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) said in December 2015 that Malik’s visa application was not thoroughly vetted, because it did not “show sufficient evidence” that Malik and Farook met in person as was required on the visa application. “There’s technology out there, and … I feel like we are moving at the speed of bureaucracy while the bad guys are moving at the speed of broadband,” McSally said at Wednesday’s Homeland Security Committee hearing. “So I’m asking again what, since the law was signed last year directing DHS to investigate the use of deception detection technology, what has been done?”

“Congresswoman, I’m embarrassed to say that I’m not prepared to answer that question, but I will take it for the record in terms of where we are,” Francis Taylor, DHS under secretary for Intelligence and Analysis, testified. “I’m familiar with the work we’ve been doing with the Office of Science and Technology in the pilot with the University of Arizona and others on this technology – something we’re very interested in, something we invest a lot in training our personnel on detecting deception, eliciting responses in their questioning, but you’re right,” Kevin McAleenan, deputy commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection at DHS, testified. “Anything that can enhance our capabilities we want, so that’s something that we’ll take back and continue to pursue,” McAleenan added.

“Thank you. I hear this every time I ask it, just to be frank with you, and I understand. I worked in the military. It’s a big bureaucracy. It doesn’t move quickly, but there— especially given the indications that we have with Tashfeen Malik and others that clearly are in interviews lying, I mean this stuff needs to be looked at and employed I think very quickly and thoughtfully,” McSally said. “It’s a manpower intensive process that we’re trying to do to shore up these vulnerabilities. We get that, but if we can use the technologies to help, we’ll really be able to address these vulnerabilities, so I’m kind of a little bit tired of the ‘we’ll get back to you,’ and I really want to hear a report. Maybe we can have a follow-up meeting, seeing how we can push to implement this in a faster way. It’s in the law,” she added.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/melanie-hunter/dhs-officials-admit-they-have-not-used-deception-detection-technology

See also:

White House Goal: 40,000 Additional Refugees from Near East, South Asia
September 15, 2016 – The U.S. State Department has set a goal of admitting 110,000 refugees to the United States in Fiscal 2017, a 29.4 percent increase from the FY 2016 target of 85,000, “but at this point, no country-specific targets have been set,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters on Wednesday.

“I do have the regional breakdown here,” Earnest continued. “[T]he regional target for FY 2017 is 40,000 for the Near East and South Asia region.” The Near East includes Middle Eastern countries and northern Africa. South Asia includes Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and surrounding countries. Earnest said vetting the refugees is “not cheap,” and he indicated that President Obama might admit even more of them, if only Republicans would provide more money for that purpose: “So I'm sure the president would be willing to consider increasing this commitment further if Congress were prepared to provide the resources necessary to get it done.”

Earnest repeated the administration’s assurance that individuals admitted to the United States as refugees have to undergo more rigorous screening and vetting than any other individual that enters the United States. “The President places our national security at the top of his priority list,” Earnest said. “At the same time, the President believes that the United States has a responsibility, as a leader on so many issues around the world, to play an important role in bringing refugees to the United States, and this is something that the President expects to discuss at the U.N. next week.”

President Obama plans to host a leaders’ summit on refugees on the sidelines of next week’s United Nations General Assembly in New York. Earnest said Obama will “talk about what more countries around the world can do” to alleviate the crisis, as millions of people flee war and famine in their home countries. “The president is quite proud of the commitments that you have seen from the United States in addressing this issue,” Earnest said. He added that the United States has “ramped up our commitment in recent years in a way that reflects the responsibility that the United States has to lead on these difficult issues.” In June, when Obama announced he would lead the summit on refugees, the White House said it would seek to “double” the global number of resettled refugees, putting one million more in school and granting one million more the legal right to work. A reporter told Earnest that the 110,000 U.S. refugee goal for 2017 “is not even close to doubling” the number of refuges admitted to the U.S., “so I’m wondering, why the limitation?”

“I think the context here is important, Earnest replied. He noted that the 110,000 refugees is 57 percent more than the number admitted to the U.S. in Fiscal Year 2015. “So I think that does represent a substantial increase in our commitment to addressing the refugee problem around the world.” Earnest added that the U.S. is the largest donor of humanitarian relief to countries that are resettling Syrian refugees; and he said the U.S. admits more refugees through the U.N. refugee program than the rest of the countries in the world combined. “That, I think, is an additional indication of just how committed the United States is to fulfilling our responsibility here. But I think what we need to see is a greater commitment around the world to not just shunting this burden off to a handful of countries. “And I think the other reality here is that the president's commitment to ensuring that the United States plays a leading role on this issue is not shared by a lot of people in Congress, including by a lot of people in the Republican majority in Congress.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/wh-110000-refugees-expected-fy-2017-40000-will-be-near-east-south-asia

waltky
11-02-2016, 07:20 AM
Disproportionate number of refugees coming here are Muslim...
:angry:
13,210 Syrian Refugees So Far in 2016; Up 675% from 2015; 99.1% Are Muslims
November 1, 2016 – The Obama administration has resettled 13,210 Syrian refugees into the United States since the beginning of 2016 – an increase of 675 percent over the same 10-month period in 2015.

Of those, 13,100 (99.1 percent) are Muslims – 12,966 Sunnis, 24 Shi’a, and 110 other Muslims – and 77 (0.5 percent) are Christians. Another 24 (0.18 percent) are Yazidis. During the Jan.-Oct. period in 2015, 1,705 Syrian refugees were admitted, of whom 1,664 (97.5 percent) were Muslims and 29 (1.7 percent) were Christians. Meanwhile the surge of Syrian refugee admissions initiated by the administration last February has continued into the new fiscal year, now one month-old: A total of 1,297 were resettled during October – a 593 percent increase over the 187 admitted in October 2015. October’s arrivals were once again dominated by Sunni Muslims, accounting for 1,263 (97.3 percent) of the total. Another seven were Shi’a Muslims and 12 were other Muslims. The rest of the October intake comprised 15 (1.1 percent) Christians – eight Orthodox, four Catholics and three refugees self-described simply as Christians.

That comes after last fiscal year saw a total of 12,587 Syrian refugees admitted, of whom 12,363 (98.2 percent) were Sunnis, and 68 (0.5 percent) were Christians, according to State Department Refugee Processing Center data. The rest of the Syrian refugees admitted during FY2016 were 103 other Muslims, 20 Shi’a Muslims, 24 Yazidis, eight refugees with religion given as “other,” and one with “no religion.” Syrians of all religious and ethnic groups have been victimized in the costly civil war, which has pitted a regime dominated by Allawites – a sect of Shi’a Islam – and its Shi’a allies against mostly Sunni rebel groups. A Sunni-majority population and Christian and other minorities are caught in between, with some supporting warring groups on either side. But jihadists among the rebels, and especially the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS/ISIL), have also targeted Christians, Yazidis and other minorities in particular. Last March 17, Secretary of State John Kerry announced, in line with a legislative requirement, that the treatment of Christians and other minorities in areas controlled by ISIS amounts to genocide.

Since that genocide determination, the Obama administration has resettled a total of 12,743 Syrian refugees in the U.S., but only 74 (0.58 percent) of them are Christians, and only 24 (0.18 percent) of them are Yazidis. The vast majority – 12,637, or 99.16 percent – are Muslims, including 12,516 Sunnis. According to the 1951 Refugee Convention, the five criteria for considering refugee status applications are persecution for reasons of religion, race, nationality, political opinion or membership of a particular social group. Although religious persecution is one of those five official vulnerability criteria, administration officials say the U.S. does not and should not prioritize any particular religious affiliation when considering Syrians’ applications. When the civil war began in March 2011, an estimated 74 percent of the Syrian population was Sunni Muslim and an estimated 10 percent was Christian.

MORE (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/patrick-goodenough/13210-syrian-refugees-admitted-year-through-october-675-99-are)

See also:

2011, Christians in Syria 1.25 Million; 2016, Christians in Syria Less Than 500,000
October 31, 2016 – As the Islamic State, insurgents, and government forces battle in Syria, the population of Christians there continues to decline, from 1,250,000 in 2011 to less than 500,000 this year, according to ADF International, which advocates for religious freedom worldwide.

In a sub-report submitted with the report Genocide Against Christians in the Middle East to Secretary of State John Kerry in March, the ADF International details the ongoing genocide of Christians and other religious minorities in the Middle East. It notes that “Christians are the most persecuted religious group in the world” and that in at least 104 countries Christians are harassed and persecuted by governments and organizations. The harassment includes “physical assaults, arrests and detentions, the desecration of holy sites and discrimination against religious groups in employment, education or housing,” reads the report.

http://cnsnews.com/s3/files/styles/content_100p/s3/murdered.christian.children.iraq_.by_.isis_.jpg?it ok=MiOiwtDg
Christian children murdered in Iraq by the Islamic State.

Harassment of Christians “was the highest in the Middle East and North Africa (90% of countries),” reported ADF International. In Syria and Iraq, the persecution of Christians is carried out largely by radical Muslims, such as the Islamic State and Jabhat al-Nusra, said the ADF. In Syria, government forces have been fighting against revolutionaries and the Islamic State since March 2011, an ongoing battle sparked by the Arab Spring.

http://cnsnews.com/s3/files/styles/content_100p/s3/alalam_635672163546133441_25f_4x3_0.jpg?itok=MOd3l HKM

In 2015, Syria’s population was approximately 20 million, said ADF International, and “92.8% of the population was Muslim, 5.2% Christian and 2% other.” “The population of Christians dropped from 1.25 million in 2011 to as few as 500,000 today,” said ADF International in its report. “It is estimated that in 2015 alone, over 700,000 Christians in Syria sought refuge” in other countries. Persecution of Christians in Syria is extreme, said the ADF International, and includes the following examples: “Three Christian men who were executed for refusing to convert to Islam, a Catholic priest who was beheaded by the rebels, at least 15 Assyrian Christians who were beheaded or shot, three Christians who were executed, and at least 10 people who were ordered executed by a self-proclaimed ‘religious court’ for being Christian.”

MORE (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/2011-christians-syria-125-million-2016-christians-syria-less-500000)

Related:

2003, Christians in Iraq 1, 400,000 -- 2016, Christians in Iraq 275,000
November 1, 2016 – Since the invasion of Iraq and toppling of Saddam Hussein in 2003, attacks on Christians living in Iraq have increased to the point where the 1.4 million Christians there in 2003 has fallen to 275,000 in 2016, according to ADF International.

In a supplement to the report, Genocide Against Christians in the Middle East, which was submitted to Secretary of State John Kerry in March, ADF International details the persecution of Christians in Iraq, a persecution that the U.S. and British governments, the European Parliament, and the United Nations have officially declared is genocide. The genocide refers specifically to attacks by the Islamic State, or ISIS, on Christians, Yazidis, and other religious minorities in Iraq, as well as in Syria, Libya, and other countries where ISIS is operating.

http://cnsnews.com/s3/files/styles/content_100p/s3/images.jpg?itok=LwAN4o4A
Islamic State fighters execute captives.

According to ADF International, the population of Iraq in 2015 was “estimated at 32.6 million comprising 98% Muslims, 1% Christians and 1% other religious minorities.” "In 2003, the Christian population in Iraq was estimated at 1.4 million,” said the ADF International in its March 2016 report. “Currently the Iraqi Christian population is estimated at 275,000.” “The attacks on the Christian population increased after the fall of Saddam Hussein, reaching its critical stage in October 2010 when 52 Christians were killed in an attack on the Syrian Catholic Cathedral in Baghdad,” reads the ADF International report.

http://cnsnews.com/s3/files/styles/content_100p/s3/img_0029.jpg?itok=2EoxdwnA
Worshippers killed inside a Christian church in Iraq.

Other examples of the persecution of Christians in Iraq, cited by ADF International, include the following: “In December 2013, three attacks targeting Christians in Baghdad killed at least 37 people, and injured over 59. “In June 2014, IS [Islamic State] took over Mosul, giving an ultimatum to Christians living there (then over 30,000) to convert to Islam, pay a tax, leave Mosul or face death. Thousands of Christians fled to the Nineveh Plains. “In August 2014, IS took over Qaraqosh, causing over 100,000 Christians to flee. The same fate has met the Christian population of al-Kosh. Numerous Christian sites were destroyed by the extremists.

MORE (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/2003-christians-iraq-1-400000-2016-christians-iraq-275000)

Peter1469
11-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Have to dilute cultures and mix them all together to achieve the Globalist's goals.

waltky
06-08-2017, 01:17 AM
Granny says the Donald said he gonna put a stop to the influx o' refugees...
http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
How Many Refugees Will US Accept This Year?
June 07, 2017 | WASHINGTON — U.S. officials still can't confirm how many refugees will arrive this fiscal year, with less than four months left and an imminent increase in the works.

The ambitious ceiling of 110,000, set by then-President Barack Obama shortly before the 2016 election has little chance of being met. It would require a massive surge of personnel to pull off in the 16 weeks remaining in this fiscal year, which is an unlikely prospect under an administration calling for significant cuts to the refugee program. And it likely won't be as low as 50,000, the number demanded by President Donald Trump in two executive orders embroiled in legal friction. That number is less than a month away from being reached at the current arrival pace of 866 refugee arrivals a week. Moreover, State Department has indicated that number will grow in the near future — though how much remains unclear.

So where does that leave things?

No one seems to know. It will be more than 46,835 — that's the number of confirmed arrivals as of the afternoon of June 7. The White House did not respond to VOA's request for comment or clarification on whether Trump will issue an overriding presidential determination to lower the ceiling from 110,000. The State Department, which oversees the refugee admissions process in conjunction with other agencies, would not hazard a guess.

https://gdb.voanews.com/5131C3F1-1F72-4E10-A0E3-7F3C081650E6_w650_r0_s.jpg
Protesters hold signs during a demonstration against President Donald Trump's revised travel ban, May 15, 2017, outside a federal courthouse in Seattle.

Predicting the final arrival numbers can be a challenge. The admittance process requires multiple offices within the U.S. government and several UN agencies to identify candidates for resettlement, interview them, vet their security and medical status, and organize their transportation to the U.S. If the current pace stays the same, the U.S. is on track to resettle about 60,700 refugees this fiscal year, down from almost 85,000 last year.

Travel order

For months, as the administration issued a first travel order in January, rescinded it and reissued a second in March, the arrivals numbers bounced up and down, settling ultimately in the 800-900 a week range. Refugee agencies that help resettle new arrivals laid off hundreds of staff members in anticipation of Trump's ordered cuts to the program. “While we expect the number of refugees admitted weekly to rise, we are not in a position to speculate as to the new weekly total or the final number of refugees that will be admitted by the end of Fiscal Year 2017,” a State Department spokesperson said in an emailed statement Wednesday.

https://gdb.voanews.com/FF7CCEB3-34AD-42D4-ACDA-1C6237F61736_w1023_r1_s.jpg
Children's drawings that read "Welcome to America, America is a good place," are displayed, April 24, 2017, at a Jewish Family Service Refugee and Immigrant Service Center in Kent, Washington, during a visit by Washington Gov. Jay Inslee.

Trump's executive order, also referred to as the travel ban, called for a temporary stop to refugee arrivals, and the cap of 50,000 for the fiscal year, but judges halted the full rollout of the order and parts of it are headed to the U.S. Supreme Court. On the advice of the Department of Justice, which represents the government in the lawsuits over the executive order, the State Department is processing refugee applications “without regard” to the section of the order that imposed the cap, according to a spokesperson.

https://www.voanews.com/a/how-many-refugees-will-us-accept-this-year/3891185.html

Peter1469
06-08-2017, 07:36 AM
Take the doctors, engineers, professionals, e.g. the people who can support them selves.