PDA

View Full Version : tPF Reality Check: No Matter Who Wins the White House, the New Boss Will Be the Same as t

Chris
03-02-2016, 07:55 PM
Won't get fooled again now will we? LOL...

Reality Check: No Matter Who Wins the White House, the New Boss Will Be the Same as the Old Boss (https://www.rutherford.org/publications_resources/john_whiteheads_commentary/reality_check_no_matter_who_wins_the_white_house_t he_new_boss_will_be_the_s)

“The main problem in any democracy is that crowd-pleasers are generally brainless swine who can go out on a stage & whup their supporters into an orgiastic frenzy—then go back to the office & sell every one of the poor bastards down the tube for a nickel apiece.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Politics today is not about Republicans and Democrats.

Nor is it about healthcare, abortion, higher taxes, free college tuition, or any of the other buzzwords that have become campaign slogans for individuals who have mastered the art of telling Americans exactly what they want to hear.

Politics today is about one thing and one thing only: maintaining the status quo between the Controllers (the politicians, the bureaucrats, and the corporate elite) and the Controlled (the taxpayers).

Hillary will not save the nation. Nor will Bernie, Trump, Rubio, or Cruz.

The only ones who can save the nation are “we the people,” and yet the American people remain eager to be persuaded that a new president in the White House can solve the problems that plague us.

No matter who wins this next presidential election, you can rest assured that the new boss will be the same as the old boss, and we—the permanent underclass in America—will continue to be forced to march in lockstep with the police state in all matters, public and private....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgubG-MOPT4

Another good piece by same author: The Age of Authoritarianism: Government of the Politicians, by the Military, for the Corporations (https://www.rutherford.org/publications_resources/john_whiteheads_commentary/the_age_of_authoritarianism_government_of_the_poli ticians_by_the_milit2).

Ethereal
03-02-2016, 08:31 PM
It's naive to think that federal elections and politics are going to be a viable medium for realizing our respective aspirations. The central government is basically irredeemable at this point. That is why people should concentrate more on state and local governments and promoting liberty on the small scale. We already see examples of this in places like Colorado and Washington which have legalized marijuana within their jurisdictions. Strengthening our families, communities, and localities should be our number one priority.

Crepitus
03-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Vote for Sanders. The only contender with a track record of not selling out.

Mister D
03-02-2016, 09:04 PM
It's naive to think that federal elections and politics are going to be a viable medium for realizing our respective aspirations. The central government is basically irredeemable at this point. That is why people should concentrate more on state and local governments and promoting liberty on the small scale. We already see examples of this in places like Colorado and Washington which have legalized marijuana within their jurisdictions. Strengthening our families, communities, and localities should be our number one priority.

Interesting observation. People impart a meaning to the Presidential election that goes far beyond its true import and I don't just mean kooks like Cigar. I think your average "political junkie" focuses far more on the Presidential election than local or regional politics. It has a high degree of symbolism and, quite frankly, it's just more interesting but if you're actually interested in accomplishing something it's not the scale of politics that should interest you most.

Ethereal
03-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Interesting observation. People impart a meaning to the Presidential election that goes far beyond its true import and I don't just mean kooks like Cigar. I think your average "political junkie" focuses far more on the Presidential election than local or regional politics. It has a high degree of symbolism and, quite frankly, it's just more interesting but if you're actually interested in accomplishing something it's not the scale of politics that should interest you most.

Right. It's not as sexy or exciting, but lots of meaningful changes can happen on the local scale in our own back yards. I think the fixation on "national" elections has become a form of escapism for many people.

Mister D
03-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Right. It's not as sexy or exciting, but lots of meaningful changes can happen on the local scale in our own back yards. I think the fixation on "national" elections has become a form of escapism for many people.

It's hard to explain. When I first became interested in politics I followed the same pattern. The Presidential election cycle was fun. Everyone was talking about it. Thinking about it now I guess in some ways there is a social element to it psychologically.

I'd go a step further. More meaningful changes can and will happen at the local level. Ultimately, at what level does politics affect you the most? Sure, the POTUS can do something crazy like start WW3 but aside from cataclysmic events I think local and regional politics will have a greater impact. Moreover, one's significance as a voter only fades the further up the scale we go. As much as some of our diehards would not like to admit it our vote for President is laughably insignificant. Meaningless in many cases. A Democrat pulling the lever in Alabama or a Republican pulling the lever in Vermont may as well stay home.

Green Arrow
03-02-2016, 09:35 PM
As far as President goes I just look for someone like Bernie Sanders, who can provide an ideological/philosophical victory but otherwise, the impact will be meaningless. For me it's more, "See? Third parties and outside-the-mainstream candidates can actually win these big elections."

But once the election is over I go back to not really giving a shit who the president is or what they do. I fought extremely hard for McCain in 2008 to the point where I was getting fairly regularly beaten up at school for supporting him and Palin (it was a dark chapter in my life...I was only 17, cut me some slack) and after he lost, I started doing some soul-searching and asked myself, was it worth it?

The answer was a resounding "no."

Mister D
03-02-2016, 09:38 PM
As far as President goes I just look for someone like Bernie Sanders, who can provide an ideological/philosophical victory but otherwise, the impact will be meaningless. For me it's more, "See? Third parties and outside-the-mainstream candidates can actually win these big elections."

But once the election is over I go back to not really giving a $#@! who the president is or what they do. I fought extremely hard for McCain in 2008 to the point where I was getting fairly regularly beaten up at school for supporting him and Palin (it was a dark chapter in my life...I was only 17, cut me some slack) and after he lost, I started doing some soul-searching and asked myself, was it worth it?

The answer was a resounding "no."

Beaten up in high school over Presidential politics?

Green Arrow
03-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Beaten up in high school over Presidential politics?

California is fucking weird, man.

Mister D
03-02-2016, 09:44 PM
California is $#@!ing weird, man.

Sheesh...sure sounds like it.

Mini Me
03-02-2016, 09:46 PM
Great post Chris!

The man I go to to tell me how fucked up this system is, is Chris Hedges!

He is a radical journalist who even says Sanders cannot change anything, and that nothing short of a REVOLUTION WILL! Check him out, it will blow your mind!

Chris
03-02-2016, 09:54 PM

A lot of that's the media. Then people regurgitate it on forums.

Chris
03-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Great post Chris!

The man I go to to tell me how fucked up this system is, is Chris Hedges!

He is a radical journalist who even says Sanders cannot change anything, and that nothing short of a REVOLUTION WILL! Check him out, it will blow your mind!

I've heard of Hedges, but only a little.

Green Arrow
03-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Sheesh...sure sounds like it.

In fairness it was mostly this one kid and his ultra-liberal friends who were offended by my Sarah Palin as Rosie the Riveter shirt. First day I wore that to school, he kicked me right in the back of my knees as I was walking through the halls, made me fall face-first into the hard floor.

I got him expelled eventually, but still. This was the image on the back of the shirt:

http://www.classicalvalues.com/wecandoit.jpg

Mister D
03-02-2016, 10:14 PM
In fairness it was mostly this one kid and his ultra-liberal friends who were offended by my Sarah Palin as Rosie the Riveter shirt. First day I wore that to school, he kicked me right in the back of my knees as I was walking through the halls, made me fall face-first into the hard floor.

I got him expelled eventually, but still. This was the image on the back of the shirt:

I can't quite wrap my head around that...

Green Arrow
03-02-2016, 10:55 PM
I can't quite wrap my head around that...

Roving bands of teenage liberal marauders, or the Palin shirt? :tongue:

Chris
03-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Why is the presidency so important? Hayek, The Road to Serfdom, has, I think, the answer. People, especially in a democracy, want things done. They expect their legislators to represent them and get what they want done. But the legislative process is slow and compromising, even more so because legislators tend to pass off the details to bureaucratic experts. So people remain frustrated and turn to a single leader to get it done Problem is with all that power accumulating in one person you just don't know what he'll do when he starts dictating.

It Shouldn't Matter Who the President Is (http://fee.org/articles/it-shouldnt-matter-who-is-president/) if the government was small and limited. This article looks at the all time worst presidents to point out they did little damage because they had so little power.

These days too many look to government for the answer to everything.

Mister D
03-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Roving bands of teenage liberal marauders, or the Palin shirt? :tongue:

lol the former of course

Tahuyaman
03-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Vote for Sanders. The only contender with a track record of not selling out.

Sanders sold out to the Democrats a long time ago.

Chris
03-03-2016, 12:57 PM

Bernie Out of the Closet: Sanders’ Longstanding Deal with the Democrats (http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/07/21/bernie-out-of-the-closet-sanders-longstanding-deal-with-the-democrats/)

I am glad that the left intellectual and activist Chris Hedges does not support the Bernie Sanders campaign for the Democratic Party presidential nomination. As Hedges explained in a recent interview on the Ralph Nader Radio Hour, Sanders’ candidacy lends undeserved credibility to the thoroughly corporatized Democratic Party. Sanders has pledged that he will support the corporatist military hawk Hillary Clinton in the 2016 general presidential election. Sanders stirs up legitimate progressive energy and popular anger and then “funnels it back into a dead political system,” Hedges observes. Sanders fails to confront the American Empire and military state, and, Hedges adds, has unforgivably “abandoned the Palestinians and given carte blanche to Israel.”...

Crepitus
03-03-2016, 03:37 PM
when and how?

Tahuyaman
03-03-2016, 03:59 PM
when and how?

That was explained clearly right after I made the comment. No need to rehash it. All you need to do is scroll back and read.

birddog
03-03-2016, 05:36 PM
People for Bernie need mental help! They can't be serious. Geeez! He might be slightly better than The Hildebeast but no more.

PNW
03-03-2016, 06:58 PM

Which is impossible under a conservative regime.
All of that is kryptonite to conservatives

PNW
03-03-2016, 07:02 PM

Well in all fairness, can you blame him?

donttread
03-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Won't get fooled again now will we? LOL...

Reality Check: No Matter Who Wins the White House, the New Boss Will Be the Same as the Old Boss (https://www.rutherford.org/publications_resources/john_whiteheads_commentary/reality_check_no_matter_who_wins_the_white_house_t he_new_boss_will_be_the_s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgubG-MOPT4

Another good piece by same author: The Age of Authoritarianism: Government of the Politicians, by the Military, for the Corporations (https://www.rutherford.org/publications_resources/john_whiteheads_commentary/the_age_of_authoritarianism_government_of_the_poli ticians_by_the_milit2).

The megacorps own the process and the only people they want shut out of the process are the Rand Paul's and the Jill Stein's of and even the Bernie Sander's of the world. Mission accomplished with the Trojan horse, Trump . But the people become more aware and may not be so easily fooled in 4 more years

Ransom
03-03-2016, 07:43 PM
The megacorps own the process and the only people they want shut out of the process are the Rand Paul's and the Jill Stein's of and even the Bernie Sander's of the world. Mission accomplished with the Trojan horse, Trump . But the people become more aware and may not be so easily fooled in 4 more years

These megacorps become megacorps of course by selling to people like donttread whose home, garage, refrigerator, office, and palm are chock full of the latest megacorps products but who drolls on all day and night about those he purchases from having all the power.

So, may I correct your last sentence there with a "some" people become more aware and may not be so easily fooled. Some people.

Chris
03-03-2016, 07:47 PM
These megacorps become megacorps of course by selling to people like donttread whose home, garage, refrigerator, office, and palm are chock full of the latest megacorps products but who drolls on all day and night about those he purchases from having all the power.

So, may I correct your last sentence there with a "some" people become more aware and may not be so easily fooled. Some people.

They may well start off that way, employing economic means to get what they want, but I think for them to become monopolistic megacorps they turn to political means, rents seek, and purchase the monopolistic megapower of the government.

There are two fundamentally opposed means whereby man, requiring sustenance, is impelled to obtain the necessary means for satisfying his desires. These are work and robbery, one's own labor and the forcible appropriation of the labor of others. Robbery! Forcible appropriation! These words convey to us ideas of crime and the penitentiary, since we are the contemporaries of a developed civilization, specifically based on the inviolability of property. And this tang is not lost when we are convinced that land and sea robbery is the primitive relation of life, just as the warrior's trade – which also for a long time is only organized mass robbery – constitutes the most respected of occupations. Both because of this, and also on account of the need of having, in the further development of this study, terse, clear, sharply opposing terms for these very important contrasts, I propose in the following discussion to call one's own labor and the equivalent exchange of one's own labor for the labor of others, the “economic means" for the satisfaction of needs, while the unrequited appropriation of the labor of others will be called the "political means."

-Franz Oppenheimer, Der Staat (The State), 1908

donttread
03-03-2016, 08:00 PM

Actually my "garage " was made by very non megacorp Mennonites. And most of my home improvement items were bought from a local lumber yard. My house was constructed largely from 7 huge white pines that were cot to make room for it on land that had been in the family for a over a century. My garden mostly consist of open pollinated and heirloom seeds.
When a choice is readily available I take it.

Green Arrow
03-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Well in all fairness, can you blame him?

Yes, I can. If your only response to opposing viewpoints is violence, you are an intellectual tyrant and a neanderthal.

PolWatch
03-04-2016, 07:14 AM
Great post Chris! Anyone who believes that the presidential election will produce changes should look at the last 8 years....just more of the same. Trump and Cruz supporters need to think about the level of cooperation they would receive (if elected). I'm not talking cooperation from the dems but from their own party. The only bright spot? Perhaps that will prevent more GWB invasions for freedom in the world.

Ransom
03-04-2016, 07:33 AM
Great post @Chris (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=128)! Anyone who believes that the presidential election will produce changes should look at the last 8 years....just more of the same. Trump and Cruz supporters need to think about the level of cooperation they would receive (if elected). I'm not talking cooperation from the dems but from their own party. The only bright spot? Perhaps that will prevent more GWB invasions for freedom in the world.

That's the only 'bright spot?'

And look who thanked that........ can't teach stupid can you?

Hysterical Hillary supporters.

Peter1469
03-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Our system of checks and balances make fast change very hard in the US. The Founders made it that way on purpose.