PDA

View Full Version : Dark Horse

Cthulhu
03-07-2016, 11:00 PM
Me thinks Mittens will run again in a brokered convention as a last minute nomination.

Because the establishment hates the present Republican potential candidates.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.

Private Pickle
03-07-2016, 11:04 PM
Me thinks Mittens will run again in a brokered convention as a last minute nomination.

Any thoughts?

It will all but mean the end of the GOP. Most Libs think they would love that until they saw what springs up in its place.

BooHoo
03-07-2016, 11:49 PM

Any thoughts?

I have been wondering this myself. I guess time will tell...... Do you think Mitt can beat Hillary? I do.

southwest88
03-07-2016, 11:58 PM
Me thinks Mittens will run again in a brokered convention as a last minute nomination. Because the establishment hates the present Republican potential candidates. Any thoughts?

Mitt looks kinda tired, & he's already had his innings (his chukkars?) I need a scorecard for this stuff, really. Anyway, I would think that a brokered GOP convention might turn to Jeb! I thought he should have gotten more attention from the more moderate GOP members. But maybe here just aren't enough GOP moderates left to make a difference? We'll have to wait & see.

It's not clear to me what a slimmed-down GOP would look like. Once they started courting Evangelicals & social conservatives, a lot of the basic machinery & lower-level candidates wound up being from the Evangelical/populist wing. They provide the manpower for get-out-vote, phone banks, doorbell ringing, voter registration booths, the backroom faithful who tick the sheets, stuff the envelopes, you know - all the grunt work.

Hal Jordan
03-08-2016, 12:21 AM

Any thoughts?

If the establishment actually hated him, maybe. However, their actions make it clear that their disapproval is in name only, in order to help him win it.

sachem
03-08-2016, 03:09 AM
I don't know if the GOP will allow a brokered convention. I think they will take whoever gets the most delegates. They don't want chaos/clutter. They can withstand a "renegade" for an election cycle or two.

domer76
03-08-2016, 03:13 AM
I have been wondering this myself. I guess time will tell...... Do you think Mitt can beat Hillary? I do.

The Republicans don't have anyone on the radar screen that can beat Clinton

Peter1469
03-08-2016, 05:45 AM
The Establishment has to choose whether they will protect their brand- even if it means chaos this election cycle. Or whether to go with the nominee regardless. I think it will depend on what percentage of the vote Trump and Cruz have by then. So far, I believe it is 70%: two candidates not part of the Establishment of 70% of the current primary vote.

If that doesn't tell the Establishment something....

zelmo1234
03-08-2016, 07:06 AM

I think that Hillary would win in a landslide and likely return the house and Senate to the Democrats as well.

If the GOP chooses to go against the will of the people and pulls a stunt like this? I will go in and pull the lever for the DNC.

If there is not clear winner, then it should be one of the two top candidates. by means of convincing other delegates to vote for them at the convention.

Cthulhu
03-08-2016, 08:22 AM
It will all but mean the end of the GOP. Most Libs think they would love that until they saw what springs up in its place.
Agreed. I can see 3 possible fragments riding from the ashes.

The theocrats, the nationalists, and the rest may flock to the Libertarians.

All of which the liberals would loathe to see existing. Presently they have a cooperative lapdog in the form of the GOP. They should enjoy what they got.